Old 18th July 2012, 21:54   #1
smodtactical

Adjusting volume without windows volume controller

I cannot access my windows 7 volume controller (in the system tray), it has never worked for me for a long time and I am unable to fix the problem.

What I want to do is control the winamp volume relative to other apps but without the win7 volume controller, is there anyway to do it? Sometimes the winamp volume goes low and even if I turn up my volume to the max via control panel its still not that loud. I know I could turn up winamp if my win7 volume controller was working but its not.

Any help would be really appreciated!
smodtactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 01:47   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi smodtactical,

The volume tray icon may be turned off. Click on the triangle near the tray icons and select "Customize...". Near the bottom left side of the customize screen, click on "Turn system icons on or off". On this screen select the option to turn the volume on, if it is off (or toggle it off and back on).

There are other things that could cause WA's volume to be low. Check the suggestions in the thread linked below if you still have problems after getting the Win volume control back.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=325742

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 01:54   #3
smodtactical

Thanks Aminfu for the suggestion. Unfortunately that is not the problem with my windows 7 sound controller. It is there but when I double click it there is a cursor loading icon for a few seconds and nothing comes up. The sndvol32.exe is running but no volume control. This has been a long time problem I had which I tried to troubleshoot on other forums... I even bought a new soundcard in case it was my onboard audio that was causing a problem but that still didn't solve the problem.

I guess the only thing I could do is reinstall windows but I'm not willing to do that. No time at the moment to reinstall everything etc, so for now I just have to bare with it.

Hopefully theres another way to control winamp volume though besides its GUI controller.

Thanks.
Old 19th July 2012, 02:11   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

If you have your Win 7 installation disk, you can run a check for corrupt or missing files. See link below. If that does not work, you can do an in-place upgrade that does not require reinstalling everything. Instructions for doing that can also be found on the internet. If you have installed the service pack and/or updates since the initial install, you will need to use Windows update to reinstall them.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...fc-scannow.htm

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 19th July 2012, 02:14   #5
smodtactical

Hey Aminfu, I tried SFC before and it found no errors.

In terms of the upgrade... what would I be upgrading to exactly? I have win7 x64 ultimate.
Old 19th July 2012, 02:20   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

You would be using your Win 7 disk to reinstall x64 ultimate without having to reinstall your major apps. But you would also have to reinstall all appropriate updates, so it will take a while (hours) to complete everything.

Old 19th July 2012, 02:23   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Since SFC found no errors, I think something you installed broke the Windows sound system. So you may need a clean reinstall anyway.

Old 19th July 2012, 03:03   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

One last suggestion, if you have ReplayGain enabled in WA and are playing files that do not have the ReplayGain tags then disable ReplayGain or change the default volume reduction (from -6 dB to 0) for files without ReplayGain tags.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support