Old 28th December 2004, 18:44   #1
akrall

Send a message via ICQ to akrall
Firefox and NSV

Guys.. I just noticed that the activex control (of course) and the mozilla/ns code doesnt work on firefox..

How are you guys working around this?
akrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 18:58   #2
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

most people aren't, if you're using vp6 you can't.

however, there have been talks about using unagi to take care of it, but it seems to not be working there either, especially with the fact that unagi doesn't drop any vp6 into the folder.

The idea that I've got, is, once someone figures out how to make it play vp6 (with the dll self-added) in firefox, that's a good start.

Originally posted by yeshuawatso :
...get Nullsoft to [accept] new moderators? ... election? ... If Inedible Bulk is the candidate, then I give my vote.
Inedible Bulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 19:04   #3
akrall

I use vp3-mp3? any ideas?

I noticed there is some sort of plugin to make firefox play activex.. but.. havent ha any luck with it..
Old 28th December 2004, 19:08   #4
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

oh, installing the activex on firefox plugin is actually for you to make your own build of firefox (i am very very sure).

plus, that's a horrible workaround, because then all your users would have to do it and it'd suck. don't.

There is a xpi for vp3, you just suck at searching these forums it seems.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....19#post1552019

...get Nullsoft to [accept] new moderators? ... election? ... If Inedible Bulk is the candidate, then I give my vote.
Old 28th December 2004, 19:11   #5
akrall

Hehehe

This is what Im using, works and has been working for over a year using IE and NS7 but, lo and behold.. doesnt work with firefox... damn firefox asks to download the plung, you go into the plugin manager and says it cant find any.

<object classid="clsid:C5E28B9D-0A68-4B50-94E9-E8F6B4697514"
codebase="http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/embed/nsvplayx_vp3_mp3.cab#Version=-1,-1,-1,-1" width=414 height=264 border=0 id="nsvplayx">
<param name="Location" value="http://intruder.com.mx:8002/;stream">
<embed width=414 height=264 type="application/x-nsv-vp3-mp3" codebase="http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/embed/nsvmoz_vp3_mp3.xpi" location="http://intruder.com.mx:8002/;stream"></embed>
</object>
Old 28th December 2004, 19:15   #6
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

yes the other person had this same problem.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...&highlight=nsv

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...&highlight=nsv

see? he made posts, it turns out it's just because of this 'oldversion' problem.

Old 28th December 2004, 19:35   #7
akrall

Ill try the "show old extensions" plugin mentioned in there.. any word if firefox will support nsv natively?
Old 28th December 2004, 20:49   #8
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

thats like supporting flash, shockwave, and java natively, which is making the installer larger for no good reason.

Old 29th December 2004, 01:33   #9
akrall

NSV is reason enough hehehe

Anyway, I tried doing something, if you try to open the .xpi file directly, it asks if you want to open using firefox and THEN, it opens the extension manager and gets installed, it doesnt show in there though but a .dll file gets installed on the plugin directory.
Old 29th December 2004, 02:28   #10
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

yeah, heres a workaround unless someone (read: that guy who hacked that lame plugin for his 'alternative nsv directory')

from firefox hacking 3

Quote:
to get older extensions to work in 1.0, edit extensions.lastAppVersion from '1.0' to '.10'. Bugmenot and others will now work.
that's in about:config in your address bar btw, just type extensions.lastApp into the little search box and you'll see it, thats where you can change 1.0 to .10.

Old 30th December 2004, 06:06   #11
jingxin

Send a message via Yahoo to jingxin
ok, i got a solution, download this xpi file:
http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/embed/nsvmoz_vp3_mp3.xpi

then use firefox to open it, firefox will install this plugin.

then firefox can show your stream, I am watching it now

-jingxin
jingxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2004, 06:49   #12
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by jingxin
ok, i got a solution, download this xpi file:

then use firefox to open it, firefox will install this plugin.

then firefox can show your stream, I am watching it now

-jingxin
what version of firefox are you running

(/me waits for a version before 1.0)

Old 30th December 2004, 06:56   #13
jingxin

Send a message via Yahoo to jingxin
the latest one, version 1.0.

just try what I said, you will see it works.
jingxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2004, 14:28   #14
akrall

Quote:
Originally posted by jingxin
the latest one, version 1.0.

just try what I said, you will see it works.
You were right!!!worked very nicely..
Old 23rd February 2005, 00:00   #15
slymate

WOW it does work!!! To people that cant do it right open firefox, and click file/open file(CTRL+O) and open the file you downloaded, thanks alot to jingxin!

download this file then open it in firefox like explained above!
slymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2005, 18:18   #16
sigma_sigma

Send a message via Yahoo to sigma_sigma
I don't understand why u are trying to use firefox???With IE6 u will optain a very good results using vp61 activeX controls! Too bad there is not exists support for vp62, which can encode better
sigma_sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2005, 18:56   #17
sankt

The use of Internet Explorer is a bad secruity risk. It has known issues and exploits that are simply unacceptable.

FireFox is open source and goes through constant security audits and risk assesments.

People are dropping Internet Explorer like a bad habit in favor of alternatives like FireFox and Mozilla.

That is why ...

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - Television.ScenicRadio.com

Last edited by sankt; 27th February 2005 at 19:12.
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2005, 23:44   #18
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by sigma_sigma
I don't understand why u are trying to use firefox???With IE6 u will optain a very good results using vp61 activeX controls! Too bad there is not exists support for vp62, which can encode better
As more and more people migrate to other platforms as they realize that paying the microsoft tax is just not helpful, and that programs which do excellent jobs (as well as provide more secure options) are available on open platforms, people switch.

Through the massive success of steve job's baby, the iPod, people are now seeing the min iMac as a plausable second computer. For those who are constantly having problems on windows, a new computer for a price comparible to the dells and gateways of lore which provides a lot nicer interface (ease of use is such a dream to these people who call their "computer guys" at the drop of a hat because of some obscure option which shouldn't be) is a nice option! With the advent of the free min iMac which is being currently being spammed all over Kevin Rose's site, it's obvious kids are interested in the proposition.

All in all, I'm bored and I wrote a post praising the ability to use the xpi to watch nsv in firefox (and other gecko browsers i guess) on multi-platforms.

edit:

I got bored and decided, "you know, I bet there's some way I could fix this, myself!" and so I looked up edit firefox xpi extension and you know what? I came up with this, and while it's not totally accurate (theres no .rdf, theres an install.js though) I think it might have worked.

So, here it is. I've got nothing to test it on, but hopefully someone can just get this done and people will stfu. I added the -bulk tag to the end so people would know it's not official, so feel free to use it till it is. I can't upload it here as it's too big for the site, which is sad, as it's only over by such a tiny amount.

See if you can catch the misspellings which are included to make sure you know I care.

Last edited by Inedible Bulk; 28th February 2005 at 00:05.
Old 28th February 2005, 06:19   #19
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

Boy, I *LIKE* FireFox 1.0 BUT I'm afraid it's gonna take some work to get ME to drop IE as my default browser (When it comes to web browsers, I'm not that easy to impress).

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Jeeper One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 05:46   #20
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

Wow, and IE's security record must have impressed you like Paris Hilton's chastity impressed me.

But what does that have to do with someone testing my modified version of the plugin?

Old 9th March 2005, 06:58   #21
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

Nothing to do with your plugin Bulk, but it has EVERYTHING to do with switching to Mozilla Firefox.

Sounds like something you'd hear on one of those stupid GEICO commercials I know but....

As for the plugin, I'd use it except for one small problem. It doesn't support VP6 (my station is in VP6.1).

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Jeeper One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2005, 04:16   #22
rockouthippie
Banned

I couldn't get any of this to work with Firefox or Mozilla. When I load the xpi file in Firefox, mozilla launches to install it. Mozilla sort of works with the xpi, but gives an error and sometimes phones home after crashing the browser.

IE seems to be the only one that has support for embedded video. I had some problems with embedded RealPlayer with Mozilla/Firefox too.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2005, 06:09   #23
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

rockouthippie: i modified the plugin to work in firefox 1.0, for vp3/mp3 only though.

it didnt work?

Old 22nd March 2005, 02:57   #24
J-Hou

Send a message via AIM to J-Hou
I am using SP2 and when i try to load a page with embedded NSV , the browser will crash. It crashes in IE and Firefox. This only happens after installing SP2. I just tried the edited xpi and it still does not work. I know this issue is only with SP2 because the embedded video works fine after installing the vp3 xpi with SP1. I also have a couple servers running Win2003. I installed the xpi file on those machines and the embedded video works great in firefox. I am not going back to SP1 for this issue, but there has got to be a fix for this somewhere.

Last edited by J-Hou; 22nd March 2005 at 03:38.
J-Hou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2005, 02:58   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Inedible Bulk
rockouthippie: i modified the plugin to work in firefox 1.0, for vp3/mp3 only though.

it didnt work?
Nope, not well anyway.... seemed to want to phone home to firefox and tell them about it after exploding. It seems to have done permanent damage to the flash plug-in too, but I can't be sure.
Old 31st March 2005, 02:59   #26
Inedible Bulk
Forum King

weird, I didn't modify anything but the installer, which seems to follow the _old_ extension manager spec.

When I get free time (which will be never) I'll rewrite it for the new spec, and see how it works enough to try to get out a VP6.1/AAC version, maybe even 6.2 (and give people more reason to switch to firefox, heh)

Old 31st March 2005, 07:49   #27
rockouthippie
Banned

Firefox is always what to use if you have a choice.
Old 6th August 2005, 22:38   #28
sigma_sigma

Send a message via Yahoo to sigma_sigma
Any sign of vp61 firefox suport? I ghess not...
sigma_sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 21:59   #29
JVonD

Very confused and bummed..

I tried to load that xpi in my Firefox and it installed, disappeared and doesn't show nsv video. Isn't there something I can write into HTML to make Firefox grab the proper plugin. I don't see why Firefox would not work a plugin like IE..?

It recognizes the plugin but says "no suitable plugins were found" Then it says "Unknown Plugin". How do I get the browser to load it with out having someone downloading and installing?

"Memories are what life is..." ~JVonD

Last edited by JVonD; 20th July 2007 at 23:14.
JVonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 11:40   #30
wildex999

Our best bet would be a Java player I think.... Anyone herek now Java? >_> <_<
I guess not -_-
wildex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 16:24   #31
Smelter
Major Dude

Hey wildex long time no read...
Hows summer treating you?
I think one of the kens around here is java enabled.
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 20:53   #32
wildex999

Heh, Been busy this summer, new school, moving and stuff
I see you have been quite active tho :P
Old 21st July 2007, 21:23   #33
Smelter
Major Dude

soon I'll tire of c++ and go back to carving wood or someting, .... on camera.

Still one more bug in my cam time stamping.
WHile dropping frames I think I need to reset the delta used to figure a sleep. Or use a base delta and relative deltas to keep both acurate frame drop count and accurate rate control in the event of many dropped frames.(after 8 hours or so the decoder drops a few)

Im sure once thats fixed, another one will come up that shows up after 8 days. and so on...

then maybe somebody will hit the rollover of the framecounter (2^64 number of frames)=)
Old 21st July 2007, 21:29   #34
wildex999

I'm rewriting the NSV Library, and will be including some nice functions ^^
Quote:
int16_t FFMPEG_NSV_Init(NSVc* NSVContext, int32_t Width, int32_t Hight, double Framerate); //Initialize FFMPEG with NSV
int8_t * FFMPEG_NSV_Decode(NSVf* NSVFrame, bool Video, bool Audio, bool Subtitles); //Decode a frame with FFMPEG
NSVf * FFMPEG_NSV_Encode(int8_t* RAWVideoData, int8_t* RAWAudioData, AVCodecTag *tag); //Encode a frame with FFMPEG
Old 21st July 2007, 21:38   #35
Smelter
Major Dude

Funny, I dont want to write a mux filter for NSV but I want bigger than 320 X 240 live (real) resolution.

Looks like you might be getting there!

Ok, one thing though, do you have the lib creating and broadcasting from scratch or should I take that out put and just packet my own frame from it and use my classes to broadcast? I dont want to vector out a stream, I just want to bake a cookie and send it to the server to be eaten as soon as its encoded.

I looked at the SUBT functions and they look great too!
Old 21st July 2007, 21:47   #36
wildex999

The lib as it is now can create new frames that can be feed with any kind of data to create a working NSV frame using two simple functions(Ok 3 the first frame)
NSV_Create() <- Creates new NSV context, but not needed to just add frames
NSV_Frame_Create() <- Takes data and information and packs it into a nsv frame

After that you can write the frame to a file or a stream(Stream being a custom write, network, custom filesystem, memory whatever you want)

I will not be including Broadcasting, as that can be done by the user using the streaming functions, and doesn't depend on any special networking lib

The SUBT functions I have put some work into, as it isn't much used in NSV files as I can see :/

EDIT:
I will however write a SMALL shoutcast interaction library some time soon. That will include some simple functions to read and send to/from a shoutcast host.
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:48   #37
Smelter
Major Dude

Oh yeah, what would be most wonderful is to make sure it is compatible with at least a couple of nsv_InBS functions directly(in the native nsv lib written by nullsoft) so your lib can pump the existing lib as well please
Old 22nd July 2007, 15:09   #38
wildex999

Hm...? What do you mean?
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:23   #39
Smelter
Major Dude

nsv is a bitstream format(suprise), so when your lib creates nsv bitstream(an nsv frame) I should be able to directly take the output and instead of fwrite the bits, I want to add it to the input of the nullsoft bitstream class. using the method In_BS->add(VOID* input,int Size) .
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:11   #40
wildex999

Thats what the stream functions are for
You can create a NSV Stream instead of NSV File. What it does is when you create it, you can make your own functions to deal with the data, and the library will just pass it on to your functions, like a callback:
int16_t NSV_Open_Stream(void* Read_Callback(), void* Write_Callback(), void* Seek_Callback());

I have yet to finish it tough, but it will be on the release I'm working on

My idea with the streaming functions is to make it not only cross platform, but cross system and usable by most systems possible with little to no change I have got it to work on my Nintendo DS, beat that :P

If oyu wanted to use the original NSV Lib, you could use the Write callback to modify the data at will and do whatever you want, my lib would pass on full frames.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video