Old 29th April 2003, 23:00   #1
Raz
Forum King

Games: Old or New

So, computer games. Which do you prefer? Am i the only one sick of seeing the classics such as contra ruined in 3d with "great graphics".

Am i the only one sick of seeing crappy reproductions of the same game with different characters or shooting games with the same kind of enemy all the way through and dull dull levels?

What are your personal favroute games? Mine are:
Mario 64
Legend of zelda: Ocarina of time
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Contra 3: alien wars
Streets of rage (i know it's short but the game still ruled)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater (yes the first one. So sue me)
Grand theft auto: vice city
2 player 007 for the n64
Psycho pinball (the oldest of the lot but so addictive it's unreal)

My personal opinion is that games developers don't have any ideas anymore so they have to keep raping the classics until they're officially dead.

Whats your opinion on anything to do with games?

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2003, 23:24   #2
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

For games...
sometimes I play in arcade.
I like more the computer ones.
Like simulators....
Old ones because they don't need a lot
of your system.
Sometimes I play DOS games because they are rapid.
Solitaries are cool too.

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 00:41   #3
lord zeta

Location: sebring dumphill flordia(soon to be zetaneia, capital of the universal empire and home of the worlds largest taco!!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to lord zeta
Well, if you ask me, new games seem to lack 2 real things, difficulty and longtivity. For instance lets say Final fantasy games, FF6 was long and chalengeing fun expirence overall. As for FF10...sure it looked nice, but most average video game nerds such as i were trough with it in a week, and thats after the extras. probably the only game genre that trancended into nextgen platforms very well were, fighting games. And thats casue its the same thing over and over all the time(still done well i may add). whew. this is running long. So in short newer the game, better the graphics, are not as fufilling as the old days of snes.

now as for my favorite games, those go like this:
Final fantasy 6
Chrono trigger
soul caliber
GTA: vice city
super metroid(or any metroid for that matter)
einhander
and finish the list off with
Lunar 2 eternal blue for the sega CD (i think im one of the few left that remember that ill fated console)
lord zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 01:04   #4
Lain
Major Dudette

Send a message via AIM to Lain
Pinball
DDR
GTA: vice city
The Sims
The Ledgend of Zelda: A link to the past (kill the chickens!! )
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 01:18   #5
Raz
Forum King

New games lack fun and originality. They're getting too realistic. I mean if i wanted realism i wouldn'nt be playing a game now would I. Running around for hours looking for save points and bullets. pffbt, no thankyou. I blame tomb raider. Thats what started it. I hate those games. for one thing they released last revelation and then didn't have any ideas so blew their load on "chronicles". I'll stick to my mega drive roms, snes roms and n64 thank you.

Old 30th April 2003, 02:27   #6
zplsoccer
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to zplsoccer Send a message via Yahoo to zplsoccer
I really like the game alchmey on yahoo. i started playing it and now i'm hooked.

Yes my spelling sucks, I know that and it can't be changed
zplsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 02:41   #7
psyfive
Forum King

zelda (any of em especially the very first one on nes)
Metroid (same as above)
Final Fantasy I - VII (i havnt played the newer ones) (again same as above)
Resident Evil 2
Contra for nes
Tekken 3

ummm thats about all i can think of for the moment
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 03:02   #8
DJ Shredder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Shredder
Games have certainly taken a down-turn in the last few years... with some exceptions, of course. The GTA series has become an unstoppable force, and I can't wait to play Vice City when it comes out for PC in a couple weeks time. Also, Max Payne rocks the party, and Splinter Cell and Hitman 2 were fun as well.

Other than that, I still have more fun rocking the NES or SNES, or playing Ninja Turtles arcade on my MAME emulator. Side scrolling fighters/shooters were the sweetest games. Occasionally, game companies will spit out a real gem of a 3D game, but sometimes you just wonder why they ever went 3D and why it isn't 1993 anymore.

Final Fantasy rules all, by the way. 1-7 have got to be some of the best games ever. The series went to crap with 8, and beyond.
DJ Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 03:03   #9
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Contra.

'nuff said, feel free to lock the thread now
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 03:16   #10
Raz
Forum King

Nintendo have done the most excellent 2d to 3d game ever with mario 64. No question. I think part of the good about it is that if you can't so some of it you can go do a different bit. Much much better playability.

Zelda is a close second. Majoras mask was a bit of a letdown but ocarina of time is one of my all time favroutes. 50 times better than hitman 2. I cleared hitman 2 in one night, first go. Thats pathetic. ocarina of time took me about 2/3 months and about 4 months to get everything on the game. Thats everything. Bottles big poes. The lot. Sad i know but it was about a year ago so no one cares.

Contra 3 alien wars. None of this arsing about with pissy guns at the start, you start with a maching gun with infinite bullets. I love that game. NEWSFLASH FOR GAMES COMPANIES: we don't mind if the notion of infinite bullets is a bit ludicrous, as long as we get to shoot at big interesting things constantly we don't mind.

Last edited by Raz; 30th April 2003 at 05:58.
Old 30th April 2003, 04:44   #11
duh
Banned

Send a message via AIM to duh Send a message via Yahoo to duh
sorry raz but its all about THPS2 PC or THPS2x (just don't like x-boat controller)
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 08:06   #12
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

THPS2X (with the S controller )
Motocross Madness 1&2 (these are the greatest dirtbike games EVER!)
Mario 64
Duckhunt
TimeCrisis 2
Pointblank 1&2
Night of the Living Dead 2 (I love me shooting games )
All the old Contra's were great
Mortal Kombat (all before the crappy 3d ones)
Virtual Tennis 2k2 (lol that game is addicting)
LawnGnome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 10:02   #13
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

When Half-Life 2 comes out, all you "repeats suck" whiners are gonna have to shoot yourselves. HL2 is going to defeat Doom3 in every which way.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 21:19   #14
lord zeta

Location: sebring dumphill flordia(soon to be zetaneia, capital of the universal empire and home of the worlds largest taco!!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to lord zeta
um Mr. Baggins? i believe you missed the point. As fun as FPS games can be they are all the same, run trough hall and kick an aleins ass with a gun. the only diffrnece is better graphics. As what were are saying. What makes HL2 or Doom 3 for that matter so innovative?ive played quake 2 and the only real diffrences are the way better graphics. your theory seems to be that we have a 2-D sprite of a muls's ass and a doom 3-d model of the same ass, sure it looks more "real" but if you think about it, its the same ass. All that were trying to say is that the innovation of games is gone. not good graphics = bad game. So unless that was some sort of Half life 2 advertisment. i dont think that post has anything to do with anything.
lord zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 01:10   #15
Raz
Forum King

I never said that good graphics equals bad game. What i said was that when game developers go all out on graphics they most of the time lack in the gameplay department. Take FF8 for example. That game was boring. No contest to FF7, one i forgot to add to my list of all time favroute games. GTA has definately not lacked in the gameplay area and is one of the very few new games i love. The rest are reproductions with missing features or just crappy ideas not even developed past the first drawings.

Old 1st May 2003, 01:36   #16
Shenlong
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Shenlong Send a message via Yahoo to Shenlong
I'm probably gonna be speaking a bit on a foreign level here (Racing game, as opposed to shooter, RPG, etc.), but Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 is probably one of the few games that could easily max out gaming graphics but still keep gameplay for it's genre. Sound effects are one thing, as they sound crisp, such as the tire squeals, engine notes (Although not exact to real life, this is only a game, afterall), the chopper blades, engine sirens, horns, etc. Graphics are smooth, with the cars having little to be seen pixilated in them. Not only do the body of the cars look as smooth as they can get, but you can also see other such things as the interior, driver, and engine from the windows. During gameplay when you up/downshift, you'll see the driver in the car reach for the gear-stick, and move it appropriatly (I.E., down from 1-2, up from 2-3, etc.). Same goes with the lush enviroments, ranging from the track enviroment to the lighting effects. Car damage looks impressive, as you don't see anything like this with lisenced cars for some odd reason. All which include chipped paint, dents, busted windshilds, smoke, busted lights, all those effects.

As for gameplay, it's on a solid level, though it compares more on arcadish-type gameplay than simulator than, say, Gran Turismo. It's a racing game that just fulfils an excitment level when you just want a fast-action racing game with no bullcrap slow cars. Since action is more fast-paced, things feel more quicker as apposed to a simulator. But still, physics are a bit the same, as when it comes to acceleration, traction (An AWD car will jump quicker off the line than a RWD car), handeling (Swifty turning at high speeds can lead to spinning out), etc. Cop pursuits can get challenging, since the cops don't just tailgate you, but also try to run you off the road, as well as set-up various roadblocks and send a helicopter on you. A.I. is also different from most other racing games, since the computer opponent isn't perfect. Sometimes they'll make the turn with no problem, whereas other times they'll screw-up and crash into the wall or other traffic cars. Not to mention, if you're going for a pass for 1st, whoever's at 1st will go their way and run into you just to keep their spot.

Personally, in a racing game, I havn't seen gameplay this exciting thus far with graphics top notch to near perfection like what's featured in NFS:HP2. EASports kind of nailed it on the head with this title, and playing it better describes how fun the game really is than just reading about it.

A very close Japanese friend I knew a while ago once said to me "Watashi no koto wo oboeta, onegai shimasu...Yakusoku?"

I forgot his name though...
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 02:37   #17
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I'm kinda split on it.

A lot of new games are similar to older games, but they take everything to the next level. Take gta vice city for example. We'd already seen gta3, so the concept of having an entire city to walk around in wasnt all that new. The graphics werent that much of an improvement, but they hit the nail on the head when it came to gameplay. It was just so much more interesting, so there's one case of where a game that's already been done can be improved.

With multiplayer fps', there really isnt much that can be done, aside from different weapons, new interesting maps and so on, but these can be had for free from mod sites. The only real improvements are in the graphics and sound departments. But there's still a lot that can be done with single player fps experiences. To me there really hasnt been anything that equals dues ex yet, and i think it'll remain my favorite single player fps for a long time, as it combined a lot of different genres into one.

If you look on the store shelves nowdays, there's heaps of driving games available, but most of them are pure crap (and im sorry shenlong, but i'm gonna put nfs2 hp2 in that category too, just my opinion). Gran turismo was the first driving game since stunts and streetrod that literally had me suckered in for hours. Not only do they provide a great arcade style racing sim, but you can spend litterally hundreds of hours playing gt mode, and often more than once (my third time playing through gt3 at the moment). Most arcade (and many simulation) racing games just dont offer enough encoragement to come back and play it again, and thats their downfall. If i want to play arcade, i'll go to timezone (or whatever) put in my $2 and have my 5 minutes of fun, rather than spending $100 and getting sick of it after a couple of hours. Again, just my point of view.

Funny thing is, my favorite game of all time (master of orion2) is about 7 years old, it's a game that's been copied a hundred times, yet no-one seems to be able to get the combination right. They just dont give that immersive feeling where you actually believe you're a part of something much bigger than 'sittin on your ass playing a stupid game'. I'm still waiting to get MOO3, as i havent seen it on the shelves yet, but if they can improve on perfect it'll be worth every cent x 1000.

So i dont have a clear preference for old games or new games...Both can be good whent they're done right.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 02:54   #18
Kinetik*
Forum Antagonist
(Major Dude)

Final Fantasy 7, Socom, Resident Evil 3, Dark Cloud.

I consider these games some of the greatest of all time. and not to mention gams like tomb Raider (IMO) weren't good in the first place, so they're just wasting time and resources on crappy sequals of a crappy game.

Procrastinators of the world unite!... Tomorrow!
Kinetik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 02:54   #19
cgfiend

Send a message via ICQ to cgfiend Send a message via AIM to cgfiend Send a message via Yahoo to cgfiend
I have to agree. There's nothing better than getting together with the guys and having a cop chase in Need for Speed 3. Awesome stuff. It's one of the best racing games of all time.

I still think there are some quality games out there. Here are a few:

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
Thief 1 and 2
Splinter Cell
IGI2: Covert Strike
GTA3 (of course)
Motocross Madness 2
Moto Racer
Sports Car GT
Re-Volt
Viper Racing
Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit
Superbike 2001
Dungeon Master 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Impossible Creatures
Black & White

If you think today's games are drab, you should've been around back in the early 90's when the game selection really sucked.
cgfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 03:09   #20
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
I had a lot of fun this winter playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but only on a server running a single shot rifle mod, no spray and pray there. Although ping definitely played a factor. I also enjoyed the NFS series; although when I tried to play online I found that everybody cheats. I will never understand the fun in that. Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry, now there were some cutting edge games. Bring back memories of overflowing ashtrays, empty beer bottles, and roach burns, but then again that was fifteen years ago. Right now the only games I have are the ones that come with windows and the only one with high scores is Minesweeper.
m0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 03:42   #21
Raz
Forum King

Another great game to play over networked computers is dungeon keeper. The IT teacher at my school and 8 of his mates have a room in a big building with a table with 9 computers on a big table where they sit and play dungeon keeper. Not to mention 1 player mode. I prefer the first one myself, the only good thing i can think of in the second one that's better than the first is selecting the squares by width times height instead of one by one.

The monkey island series was also great. Very innovative and creative puzzles, great characters and great general game layout.

Old 1st May 2003, 09:00   #22
EastenLion

CS
Ege of Empire 2
StarCraft
WarCarft
Quake3
Border's Gate
and the series of ÐùÔ¯½£
Old 17th January 2007, 23:43   #23
WhiteEagle

Send a message via ICQ to WhiteEagle Send a message via AIM to WhiteEagle Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteEagle
My choices for all-time games are:
Re-Volt
Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Empire Earth II
The Sims
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 07:20   #24
WildJack77

Seems 80% of the people here love the Legend of Zelda.
My favourites are:
-Insaniquarium
-Heroes of Might and Magic IV
-Heroes of Might and Magic V
-World of Warcraft
-Doukutsu Monogatari
-Ollie Ostrich
and
-Age of Empires (any version)
WildJack77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 16:44   #25
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
This thread is about four years old.. you do realise that?

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 18:28   #26
WhiteEagle

Send a message via ICQ to WhiteEagle Send a message via AIM to WhiteEagle Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteEagle
A thread that has lasted 4 years...awesome!
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 01:45   #27
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
and that's exactly why i refuse to post in it....

OOPS!

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 15:20   #28
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
Contra.
ah, the memories.

The 8-bit generation introduced many great mechanics to gaming though I believe that the 16-bit generation was the apotheosis of 2-d gaming. adhering to 2-d titles I would appoint the following as the all time 2-D greats.

Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country
Contra III : Alien Wars
Castlevania IV
Super Mario Kart
Zelda: LTTP
Super Metriod
River City Ransom
Final Fantasy III (North America)
Shinobi III
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Sonic CD
Mega Man X
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 11:31   #29
WildJack77

Four years old. Even i don't realize that.
Old 20th January 2007, 19:48   #30
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Be it four years or forty, the topic is rather open ended so if you feel you can contribute something today, next month or next year that is meaningful and constructive then why not do so? Its often emphasized that one should first do a search before opening a new thread yet if that thread is not somewhat recent then the topic is often shunned and ridiculed for its age which I don't feel is very constructive.

soo umm... MAN!, THIS THREAD IS OLD!!! WOW!

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 09:42   #31
WildJack77

Than who revives it?
Old 16th February 2007, 01:38   #32
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Re: Games: Old or New

Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
Streets of rage (i know it's short but the game still ruled)
That game is great fun in co-op

To add to the list..
Perfect Dark
Pokemon Red
Extreme G (the first one, the rest suck in comparison)
Wave Race 64
Jedi Academy (most addicting game I have ever played)
Tie Fighter 95
Tachyon: The Fringe
Diddy Kong Racing
ShiKinJou (puzzle game for genesis)
Mario 64

With a lot of new games... they are just cut from the same mold.. mould.. whatever.. they just suck. I need to get some emulators working so I can play the few original games that were only realeased on the consoles.
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 22:42   #33
Michgelsen
Major Dude

Strange that nobody has mentioned C&C Red Alert yet in four years! You gotta love that!
Michgelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 07:56   #34
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i actually kind of got more into generals and zero hour

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 09:53   #35
Michgelsen
Major Dude

I don't like those as much, because of the "3d with great graphics" mentioned in the first post. They're ok and worth buying (I actually buy all my games), but nothing beats the atmosphere and music in Red Alert Windows 95 Edition.
Michgelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 09:16   #36
Captain_Hero

Awesome Games from back in the Day:

Castlevainia
Megaman
Gloden Ax
Altered Beast
Sonic from 1 to 3
Any of the Old Marios
Final Fantasy 1 through 7 (8 bit ass) 9 & 10 ruled
(remindes me I need to buy 9 again)

New Goodies:

God of War!
Indigo Prophacies
all the Mysts (I beat most of them except the newest one...only because I havent played it yet.)
Captain_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 05:14   #37
ickerschneiber

Send a message via AIM to ickerschneiber
I love all the games of old times!
ickerschneiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 08:18   #38
Canon

Final Fantasy Tactics
Ridge Racer: Type Four
Gran turismo 4
Gran turismo 3
Metal Gear solid 3: Snake Eater
Ace combat 5
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 8
Zelda: Ocarina of time
Ape Escape
Tobal No. 1
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 23:37   #39
Dregnought

Send a message via ICQ to Dregnought Send a message via AIM to Dregnought Send a message via Yahoo to Dregnought
Beat this for an old game that I still play:

Master Of Orion 2: Battle at Antares. It's made for DirectX 2 I believe, in 1995/6.
Homeworld 2
Starcraft
Battlezone 2 If I could get some decent multiplayer action happening.
Rocket Jockey
If I had the time, RollerCoaster Tycoon 1
Dregnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 00:51   #40
J.Melo

Super Mario World
Zelda a Link to the Past
GTA San Andreas
GTA Liberty City Stories
I used to play Sims 2
Resistance
Super Mario 64