Old 25th July 2003, 17:59   #1
BlueTape

PSX vs XBOX...unfair battle!!!!

ok the reason I post this is becuase playstation 2 is cheating and no one can notice it yet, maybe they have but its really damn wrong

example

go into any "UK game shop or retail shop" and in one small area is xbox and the rest is Ps2!!!!!!! also Sony seems to buy company spots and not let them sell Xbox too
BlueTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 18:33   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Money is power, if you can afford to buy all the space you can to edge out your competitor, then go for it, survival of the fittest, why else do you think there are some 50 million PS2's out there compared to 10 million Cubes and X-boxes?
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 21:30   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

I'd take my Cube before either of those so-called "game consoles."

Yes, I'm biased in a big way.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 23:49   #4
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

It's precisely because there are 40 million more PS2's than the other two consoles that the PS2 gets more shelf space. Same reason there are more Ford dealerships than Bentley. More demand.

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 00:24   #5
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
There are also many more games for the PS2 than for the XBox. More games means more space needed.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 00:44   #6
BlueTape

Xbox has many games too but in a way, how will the Xbox sell if there are hidden away and ps2 all over the damn place...!!!

UNFAIR and cheating!!
BlueTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 02:29   #7
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
It's not really cheating as far as I'm concerned. Microsoft could easily build thousands of game stores that are the exact opposite, and that would be more like cheating than this. Microsoft could care less though - XBox (by far) isn't their only source of money. Same goes for Sony, although I think their game sales form a bigger amount of their total profit than the XBox does for microsoft.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 08:09   #8
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Sony makes millions of dollars annually on the PS2
Microsoft loses hundreds of millions of dollars annually on the xbox.

http://www.redherring.com/insider/20...box062402.html

its simply supply & demand, no conspiracy, no unfair business practices. its just that the "nothing but hardware Xbox" and the "nothing but Mario gamecube" get shunned by the masses for obvious and legitimate reasons.

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 11:15   #9
Mr_007
Banned

I like xbox!!
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 11:51   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by EfaustuS9
Sony makes millions of dollars annually on the PS2
Do they though?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3092063.stm
Old 26th July 2003, 15:21   #11
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Only to spend it all on re-structuring the company

Old 26th July 2003, 15:44   #12
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
still making a profit just the profit is 98% lower.

Old 26th July 2003, 16:08   #13
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

both sony and microsoft are losing out dramaticly on there own consoles... thats because there both trying to out compeat each other.. the reason ps2 has most shelf space that xbox, is that it has been out around a year longer... and also, there has been a report that says xbox is picking up and ps2 is REALLY dropping off..

so yes, xbox vs. ps2 is very unfair because people say "ohhh... ps2 has sold 3 times as many consoles as xbox" because xbox has been out a year less that ps2, also, the xbox in its 1st year sold more than ps2 in its 1st year... so, thats a fair comparison, measuring there 1st year...

also, sony KNOWS its losing to xbox, why do you thing the ps3 is shedualed so very early (mid 2004 i think).. its because, they know they have brought there own internet suport out WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! to late... all the ps3 will be is (looking at specs from sony) a ps2 with a hard drive, ethernet, and a lil bit more power... but it still isnt as powerfull as xbox..
Bizzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 17:36   #14
sgtfuzzbubble011

^
||
All of that crap is exactly why I won't ever buy either the PS2 or the Xbox. That, and I don't like Sony and MS.
Old 26th July 2003, 19:31   #15
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Sony's PS2 is not losing to the xbox the drop in sales of the ps2 it is morelikely due to the fact that the ps2 has reached a saturation point with in the game market. Xbox is doing ok in america and europe but it is getting spanked in japan,
http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/famit...ws/30408.shtml
PS3 is not secedualed to come out untill 2005, xbox did not sell an eqivalent ammount of xboxs, that ps2 had in its first year, sorry.

Old 28th July 2003, 09:50   #16
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
^
||
All of that crap is exactly why I won't ever buy either the PS2 or the Xbox. That, and I don't like Sony and MS.
You're making a big sacrifice there. I hate MS myself (who doesn't except their employees) but the x-box is the bizness. It's the cutting-edge in home entertainment (if you don't count women with donkeys).

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2003, 19:59   #17
zootm
Forum King

Quote:

All of that crap is exactly why I won't ever buy either the PS2 or the Xbox.
if you're referring to the companies selling consoles at less than manufacture price, all console manufacturers do that. they've been doing that since some of the earliest games machines which had seperate games. as for the other stuff, you can write nintendo into it quite easily...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2003, 22:38   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

Cylob, sorry man, but the Xbox isn't a game console... it's a computer without a mouse and keyboard. That's why it's got better specs than the Cube. That, and the fact that it came out after the Cube did. If I want to play on a computer, I'll fire up my HP. There's no need for me to go buy an Xbox...

And actually, the two main reasons I don't want a PS2 are 1) Sony failed to interest me with the original Playstation, and 2) I don't like the way Sony does business.

Back when Nintendo introduced the NES in 1985, they WERE the home gaming market. Atari? Who's that? You get the idea. Anyways, Nintendo always has been, and always will be the best as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I'm biased... but who isn't?
Old 28th July 2003, 22:43   #19
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yes, but you can blame Nintendo directly for Sony's domination.

Don't forget it was Nintendo who approached Sony to help develop a CD addition to the SNES, Sony got as far as working prototypes before Nintendo pulled the plug on development, claiming carts were the future of gaming, Sony rightfully pissed off at piling tons of resources and cash into a now defunct product, did what any self respecting company would do, try to recoup some of those losses by making the PS1.
I believe it looked something like this...
http://outerspace.terra.com.br/retro...nes_cd-rom.jpg

Blame Nintendo for being short sighted in the first place heh
Old 28th July 2003, 23:22   #20
sgtfuzzbubble011

Honestly, I'm glad Nintendo never went through with that project. I don't think the hardware of the time would've been able to keep up with the games. Look at some of the original PSX games... the loading times can get rediculous. Remember the ill-fated 64DD magneto-optical disc drive for the N64? They canned that too because the hardware wasn't up to the task. Now, with the introduction of the GameCube, Nintendo finally has a system that can handle disc-based games. They didn't do it just to piss Sony off, they did it because they found out before production that it wouldn't have flown anyways.

Addendum:
If Nintendo could find a way to produce 1.5 gigabyte cartridges for the same price as the current GameCube discs, then I'd much rather have those than the discs. Cartridges are much more durable and loading times are nil.
Old 29th July 2003, 05:45   #21
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

GameCube, Nintendo finally has a system that can handle disc-based games. They didn't do it just to piss Sony off, they did it because they found out before production that it wouldn't have flown anyways.
-----------

PS One is the most successful system as of yet ( by number of units sold), beating out the former champ which was the original NES. I guess Nintendo was wrong about disk based games. Like I said in other posts, what makes a system successful is the content quality variability of its games, not as much the hardware or its head start.
Nintendo has always been stubborn , and since N64 always a step behind.

Old 29th July 2003, 14:54   #22
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Cylob, sorry man, but the Xbox isn't a game console... it's a computer without a mouse and keyboard. That's why it's got better specs than the Cube. That, and the fact that it came out after the Cube did. If I want to play on a computer, I'll fire up my HP. There's no need for me to go buy an Xbox...
I'd settle for a PC with a projector and play games in a 6ft x 3ft box (in the comfort of my living room). PC games are cheaper for one. Until that time, I'll settle for the x-box, hideously ugly though it is. Games such as Halo & MOH Frontline on the X-box are the best currently available on any platform, but 40 squid a game is bordering on extortion.

BTW, the Game Cube's a pretty toy! I would buy one for the kids but they have PS hand-me-downs.

Old 30th July 2003, 01:46   #23
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
PS One is the most successful system as of yet ( by number of units sold), beating out the former champ which was the original NES. I guess Nintendo was wrong about disk based games. Like I said in other posts, what makes a system successful is the content quality variability of its games, not as much the hardware or its head start.
Nintendo has always been stubborn , and since N64 always a step behind.
I guess it all boils down to personal preference. If I had to choose between my N64 and my Playstation, I wouldn't give the Sony a second thought. Hell, I'd take a Super Nintendo over a Playstation, too. You can think Nintendo is a step behind if you want...

Quote:
I'd settle for a PC with a projector and play games in a 6ft x 3ft box (in the comfort of my living room). PC games are cheaper for one. Until that time, I'll settle for the x-box, hideously ugly though it is. Games such as Halo & MOH Frontline on the X-box are the best currently available on any platform, but 40 squid a game is bordering on extortion.

BTW, the Game Cube's a pretty toy! I would buy one for the kids but they have PS hand-me-downs.
Choosing the best games of all is nothing more than personal preference, once again. I, along with other people, might not think that Halo and Medal Of Honor are the best games around...

Oh, so my Cube is a pretty toy? Ok then, your Xbox and PS2 are not-so-pretty toys.
Old 30th July 2003, 02:10   #24
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

PS2 orchestrates well with an adults enternainment system
XBOX is umm big black and best if hidden
GameCube looks excellent next to the playschool sing allong radio

First Person shooters are not all which comprise the PS and xbox portfolio of appeal.
By catagory my personal favs (for PS2)
If you like racing: Grand Turismo 3
If you like RPG: Final Fantasy 10, Baldurs Gate : DA
If you like Action: Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, Contra ect...
If you like platformers: Rachet & Clank, Sly Cooper
If you like Fighters: Tekken 4, VF 4
If you like depravity: Grand Theft Auto
If you like FPS: MOH

GameCube has the community service simulator also know as Mario Sunshine, Oh and it has Link the castrated windwalker.
Old 30th July 2003, 02:25   #25
sgtfuzzbubble011

stfu before I drop-kick you in your left big toe or something.
Old 30th July 2003, 02:37   #26
zootm
Forum King

i personally think the PS2 is the ugliest of the bunch. they've tried to do "futuristic", and failed miserably. the xbox is pretty bad too, but i don't have as much of an issue with it. is very big though.

as for the cube? it looks pretty nice. it was brave of them to make it colourful, i think it looks quite neat. wouldn't fit anywhere, though

Old 30th July 2003, 04:46   #27
duh
Banned

Send a message via AIM to duh Send a message via Yahoo to duh
Comparing the XBOX to an PSX is really unfair for the PSX, lets take a look:
XBOX: to watch DVD=most buy something
PSX: to watch DVD=free, and no one likes that

XBOX: to go online=starter kit plus 50 a year
PSX: to watch online=free, another big negative

XBOX: to run linux=requires a mod chip and/or a lot of reverse engineering
PSX: to run linux=they made you a freaking kit, not free, the one positive

SELF: sarcasm=end
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2003, 04:50   #28
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by duh
XBOX: to watch DVD=most buy something
PSX: to watch DVD=free, and no one likes that
PSX: when people buy a PS2 to buy DVDs, they usually buy a remote control soon afterwards.

Quote:
Originally posted by duh
XBOX: to run linux=requires a mod chip and/or a lot of reverse engineering
PSX: to run linux=they made you a freaking kit, not free, the one positive
i'm still not convinced why you want to, though. although someone i know was coding a divx decoder or something, i think...

Old 31st July 2003, 21:24   #29
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Oh, so my Cube is a pretty toy? Ok then, your Xbox and PS2 are not-so-pretty toys.
You're right, the x-box is one ugly machine (mine is not on public display). But it is crammed with hardware, thus a little obese.

Why do consoles have to be called 'box' or 'cube' anyway????

Old 31st July 2003, 21:26   #30
zootm
Forum King

because "gameturd" and "X-donkey" don't have the hardcore "edge" to them.

serious answer: marketing

Old 1st August 2003, 01:37   #31
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, for one, the GameCube is pretty close to a cube. If you add the GameBoy Player on to the bottom of it, it is a cube. I guess people call other systems "boxes" because people are so used to calling their computers that.
Old 2nd August 2003, 07:18   #32
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
Sarge, I heard Ford and Dodge teamed up to created the Gamecube - the Nintendo thing is just a front.
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 14:40   #33
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
they've tried to do "futuristic", and failed miserably.
Eh? It wasn't supposed to be anything, just a design. Gets proper dusty though, had to clean mine with an old toothbrush.

A mate of mine had a black/grey 'cube, looked cool with the light shining out from the disc tray. It's clever how they made it so it retains the cube shape when you plug the accessories in.

Old 2nd August 2003, 16:17   #34
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

omit is not biased. if you have money might as well waste it on games. games are entertainging enough especially when compared to other forms of entertainment. omit has all three and is entertained by all three. :::::: sony just wants to make money (it is quite a popular urban myth that ps's are sold defective, to give out and thus force you to buy another after youve compiled a library: mine is tetering on death; controler suddenly stops working and the av cabe thing in the back is loose. and knowledge of so many that i know having gotten a 2nd or 3rd ps [one or 2] this gives credit to this "myth")and some of ps's games are famous for just being "push the button see the thing move on the tv" games. nintendo just wants to make games. because of this developers stray to sony because they want to make money too. xbox is somewhere in the middle they really like making games, wether they are good at it is relative, but somehow since its the son of MS you expect them to cheat you your dough. there are good games for each Nintendo: has alot - mario sunshine, zelda, smash bros, metroid (quite a bit better than halo in my opinion), pikmin, animal crossing, etc... Sony: ico, klonoa2, gta3, gtavice city, sly cooper, rachet & klank. MS: jet set radio, munch's ~ oddworld or something (a good game i dont care what you say), panzer dragoon, halo (cause everyone would be mad and hate me if i didnot mention it), to be fair i havenot played as many xbox games.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 16:43   #35
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

So when is this next generation comming.....

http://gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/...ws/30550.shtml

NES PC, Gasp! (attn:sgt)

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/h...450815,00.html

Old 2nd August 2003, 16:51   #36
j0ck3

Send a message via ICQ to j0ck3 Send a message via AIM to j0ck3
Hmmm I'll stick to my 8bit Nintendo and iceclimbers/mario.

"What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." I have choosen the red pil.
j0ck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 21:19   #37
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Sarge, I heard Ford and Dodge teamed up to created the Gamecube - the Nintendo thing is just a front.
Haha!

That link really should be a bannable offense.
Old 3rd August 2003, 04:50   #38
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
Quote:
I'd take my Cube before either of those so-called "game consoles."

Yes, I'm biased in a big way.
you just stole the words out of my typeing fingers

I love my cube, I just have not found the games that make me buy an "XBox" or "PS2".
I give you Xbox fanboys a challange, name me 5 must have EXCLUSIVE game titles, I am waiting!
And the PS2 is just old and outdated and has no must have games that I couldnt live without.
But damn the Cube has some great games, Metroid Prime is like the god of all games! It just can not be toped, well if they had some odd forum of multiplayer, it would be amazing.

I still can not wiat for some of the amazing stuff that could be done on the next gen systems. Seeing they seem to be about a year behind the top of the line computer graphics in most areas and far better in a few. The Radeon 9x00 line is already amazing, and the next cards that are gonna be out in the next 6 months will truly be amazing. So I just can not wait. Well I guess I can, I need to play some more out of my Cube, I am still waiting for a Perfect Dark class game for multiplayer.... still have not found it. The best Muti I have so far is the same old SMB:M (BUT IT STILL IS GREAT after all the time).

I agree sarg. The NES PC is just a waist of a perfecly good NES, and that makes me really sad, very sad indeed. Seeing I would MUCH rather take the NES over the X-cra... er Box anyday.
I just hate MS for their buisness ways... and their buggy as hell OSes

NOTE: the Gameboy is the best selling system ever, over 100million sold BEFORE the GBA/SP came out. Like back in '98 it reached 100,000,000. And they are still selling the GBC in japan, and I think even the original GB! The many great hours of my life I spent on you wonderful GB/C/A/SP
laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2003, 05:44   #39
sgtfuzzbubble011

Amen.

:]
Old 3rd August 2003, 07:31   #40
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

I wasnt including handheld systems lazz. More clamor about #3 and its trickle of 1st party titles, sigh. Well nintendo may have a legacy but if these trends continue it may not have a future. Enjoy the three games you plug so incessantly, and maybe if your fervor is contagious nintendo just may endure.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center