Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center

View Poll Results: What's better?
PS2 25 59.52%
XBox 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st April 2004, 23:59   #81
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just remember, Metroid Prime isn't just a first-person shooter. It's a first-person action/adventure game. There's a lot more to it than just blasting the hell out of things. Don't include Metroid Prime in the FPS conversations...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 13:39   #82
dopey

Send a message via ICQ to dopey
this all depends on how old you are.

i dont mind the ps2 or the gc.

I have played halo on the xbox and it was pretty cool, but i would never buy the xbox.

on ps2 you have a lot of wicked games such as devil may cry.. etc.

What makes a console good is the games, and as it goes currently the ps2 has the best games and nintendo has the updated classics, xbox has nothing to show.

( the last console i owned was the n64 i havent had any consoles since, ill probably buy the ps3 when it comes out)

on the n64, golden eye, kicked ass, (we clocked it as in became 007 and got most of the cheats unlocked like donkey kong heads all of the guns etc.. double speed in multiplayer, that kicked ass)
there was also zelda ocarina of time. that was awesome. I gave up with the n64, just too few titles before perfect dark was released so i never bought it.

the ps1 had ff7, gt3 etc they were awesome.

It ain't all about graphics and processing power/graphics its about also about good gameplay.

Nothing beats the pc for first person shooter. q3, rtcw, and ut are wicked online multiplayers that cant be beat by any console. im sorry the controller can never match the mouse / keyboard for proper control.

its all relative but even when the next gen kicks in i doubt microsoft will make much impact with its nextgen xbox.

Nintendo hopefully will wise up by then and release proper media, instead of mini cds and cartridges.
dopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 21:05   #83
sgtfuzzbubble011

What's wrong with mini-dvds and cartridges?
Old 3rd April 2004, 00:52   #84
dopey

the amount of information they store.

sony at ps1 was using cds a whole 650 - 700 - 800 mbs data storage capacity.

nintendo was using cartridges (much less capacity)

Cartridges should have been axed. If the n64 was using cd's it would have buried sony.

they use mini dvds the rest uses proper dvds ( mini dvd capcity 1 gig) dvd 6 gigs.

The less storage means less inside footage etc.

They are good for anti-piracy measures, but they are cutting themselves a bad deal. Because they limit the space games developers have to work with.

The mini dvds aint so bad 1 gig capacity is enough i guess.

I wont go into the issues of them being entertainment centers because nintendo have only ever made true games consoles and you cant take that away from them. Respect where its due and all.
Old 3rd April 2004, 02:20   #85
rpxmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by dopey

Cartridges should have been axed. If the n64 was using cd's it would have buried sony.

they use mini dvds the rest uses proper dvds ( mini dvd capcity 1 gig) dvd 6 gigs.

They are good for anti-piracy measures, but they are cutting themselves a bad deal. Because they limit the space games developers have to work with.

I wont go into the issues of them being entertainment centers because nintendo have only ever made true games consoles and you cant take that away from them. Respect where its due and all.
About the mini-dvds...

One thing to note is that the Nintendo GameCube natively supports compression for most things, while the PS2 does not. I don't know about XBox, though...but for example, the GameCube natively supports a 6:1 compression ratio for texture images. I know the PS2 doesn't do that.

Overall, in theory, you can store as much data on a GameCube disc as you can on a PS2 or an XBox DVD, since the media files themselves can take up a lot less size. This has other advantages, for example, since the files take up less space, it takes a lot less time to read off the disc itself, and therefore, the game loads faster. This is probably why GameCube games seem to take a lot less time to load than PS2 or XBox games.
rpxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 02:30   #86
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by dopey
this all depends on how old you are.

i dont mind the ps2 or the gc.

I have played halo on the xbox and it was pretty cool, but i would never buy the xbox.

on ps2 you have a lot of wicked games such as devil may cry.. etc.

What makes a console good is the games, and as it goes currently the ps2 has the best games and nintendo has the updated classics, xbox has nothing to show.

( the last console i owned was the n64 i havent had any consoles since, ill probably buy the ps3 when it comes out)

on the n64, golden eye, kicked ass, (we clocked it as in became 007 and got most of the cheats unlocked like donkey kong heads all of the guns etc.. double speed in multiplayer, that kicked ass)
there was also zelda ocarina of time. that was awesome. I gave up with the n64, just too few titles before perfect dark was released so i never bought it.

the ps1 had ff7, gt3 etc they were awesome.

It ain't all about graphics and processing power/graphics its about also about good gameplay.

Nothing beats the pc for first person shooter. q3, rtcw, and ut are wicked online multiplayers that cant be beat by any console. im sorry the controller can never match the mouse / keyboard for proper control.

its all relative but even when the next gen kicks in i doubt microsoft will make much impact with its nextgen xbox.
Nintendo hopefully will wise up by then and release proper media, instead of mini cds and cartridges.
Comming form someone who doesnt even have a current gen console? Dont rag in the box when you Dont have a clue. The XBOX has tons to show for it.

about nintendo media: Nintendo did wise up and currently has the hardest to copy and most profitable media.

about the pc: Nothing beats the PC in cost either. Consoles are cheaper hands down. I have great control with the controller and similar control with a keyboard and mouse. So I dont know where the greater precision comes from. The controllers are all the same but mice are different so who ever has the best tools (most expensive tools) has a better advantage over someone with weaker equipment. Consoles remove this obstacle in the multiplayer arena.

about the best graphics: PC's offer the best graphics when considered with consoles. but its not all about graphics?

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 02:46   #87
zootm
Forum King

the best console available is the SNES, and i don't see that changing any time soon.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 03:09   #88
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

... ... ... The SNES second generation. Its better.

I'm Back?
Old 3rd April 2004, 03:51   #89
dopey

the xbox is nothing more than a stripped down pc with windows ce shoved on it. Thats all it is. The xbox is more of a home entertainment system than a games console.

Microsoft hasn't offered anything new, they come into the console business, the first thing they do is start buying game developer companies ( the company behind halo was bought out and all other ports of the game were stopped).

I've played on it. The ps2 controller kicks ass in comparison, it flopped in japan and Europe im not sure about in America.

You can argue about the pro's and cons of the controllers all you want, ultimately sony took the famed ps1 controller and just tweaked it. A great product made better. Microsoft went with the policy of big is best.. Yeah i can see 10 yr olds picking up that controller and having a fun time, not.

I don't need to own a next gen games console to have played on them considering a lot of my mates have them. My cus. has the ps2 and the xbox. He left the ps2 here with me for months, i just never got the chance to play with it, sat down and clocked devil may cry at the beginning and didn't really play anything else. Didn't have the time to.

One of my mates has the gc, ive played on it, even was close to buying it ( was drunk walked into eb, dashed my card on the counter and said id like a gc.. saw the games selection and thought nah screw it, dont wanna end up with another n64)

At the end of the day, regardless of all the cool toys they bundle with the games console, a games console with the most games, and with the best pricing for the games will get the most business. Think about ps1 / ps2 and the platinum range, it keeps renewed interest in the console. Because the games become so damn cheap. It was a shame to lose sega, cos i liked some of their stuff. Ultimately microsoft loses far too much money on each xbox sold, i would imagine as the tech for the ps/2 is pretty old now, that sony arent actually losing any money on it now, so the consumer gets cheaper games. As for Nintendo, not only are they great console manufacturers, but also great games developers.

as for ps2/xbox as a home entertainment system, i can pick up a dvd player for 50 quid, no region locking capable of playing near every video cd / dvd format. Why would you buy a games console to watch dvds ?

anyone about the age of 21 - 30 odd would argue the best console was the snes. Future gens will probably say the ps1/ps2.
Old 3rd April 2004, 04:37   #90
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:

Just for future reference, the GameCube discs hold 1.5 gigabytes of information.

And yes, the mini-dvds are good for anti-piracy... but cartridges are better for that purpose. The two main downsides to cartridges are cost of production and limited storage space. The largest cartridges I know of were 64mb, if I remember correctly. But that doesn't mean that cartridge games all suck. Look at The Legend Of Zelda - Ocarina Of Time. Truely awesome game, and it was only a miniscule fraction the size of a GameCube disc. Even with media limitations like that, great games can still be made. And cartridges also had great advantages, too. They had zero load time, they were durable, and you could save your game data directly onto them without the need for a memory card. Got a scratch on your copy of 007 Goldeneye? Who cares? Pop it in and play. Got a scratch on your copy of Halo? You'd better go find a DiscDoctor. And don't forget to pick up a fat memory card when you stop by EB for that DiscDoctor...

Quote:
... ... ... The SNES second generation. Its better.
It's the same exact hardware inside. The only difference is the outer case. But it really doesn't matter. They both rock.
Old 3rd April 2004, 04:51   #91
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99

...Got a scratch on your copy of Halo? You'd better go find a DiscDoctor. And don't forget to pick up a fat memory card when you stop by EB for that DiscDoctor...
You dont need to buy memory cards for the xbox, it has a hard-drive remember. Im not sure if buying the PS2 Hard-drive will resolve the need for memory cards, in any event all the gamecube owners must buy memory cards regardles . Also while your at EB buying your memory cards you can walk pass the long rows of platnum and greatest hits games (great games at $20 a pop) to the solitary shelf with the $50 ninteno gamecube games a see if any one has released a game for the system in the last 6 months.

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 05:18   #92
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
You dont need to buy memory cards for the xbox, it has a hard-drive remember.
Oh yeah. My bad, I forgot the Xbox was a computer.

Quote:
in any event all the gamecube owners must buy memory cards regardles
This is true, but I was simply showing advantages that cartridges have over discs. I only used those two games as examples. And I wasn't saying that I think Nintendo should go back to producing cartridge-based games... I was simply saying that I quite like Nintendo's older, cartridge game systems. The fact that most cartridge games don't require a memory card is a feature I really like.

Quote:
Also while your at EB buying your memory cards you can walk pass the long rows of platnum and greatest hits games (great games at $20 a pop) to the solitary shelf with the $50 ninteno gamecube games a see if any one has released a game for the system in the last 6 months
The GameCube shelf in my local GameStop is almost the same size as the Xbox shelf. The PS2 section is only marginally larger.
Old 3rd April 2004, 07:34   #93
AfroMex

Send a message via AIM to AfroMex
Quote:
the xbox is nothing more than a stripped down pc with windows ce shoved on it. Thats all it is. The xbox is more of a home entertainment system than a games console.
first off your right it is just a striped down PC but every game system is think about it you need to prosses information and then diplay it on a screen sounds alot like a PC but consoles are made to be used as a game sysem used on a tv so of course they are going to add a DVD player it makes sence but unlike a computer it is smaller and cheaper on for a computer you need first off the tower but to play the newer better games you need a deasent prossesor doesnt have to be the best but it has to be good so there is at least $100 then how are you going to display those kick ass graphics so you'll need what else a graphics card so there is another $200 but then you need some RAM so that will run you $50 for a 512 stick because anythng less is shamfull to todays standerds then you need what else the heart of you CPU a mother bored you can pick up a cheap ass one for $120 then you can just put it in a shitty case so $5 then you need to display your crap so a moniter you can pick up a 15in for like $20 but thats sucks so you'd kick it up a notch and get a 18in for like $100 so after all that you spent $400 - $500 for your CPU that is not bad but not great and it can only play some of the games alright some games it wont be able to handel so you'll have to spend more to make it better it will constently go out of date and you'll have to upgrade it to make it run the newer better games but a console is far less then a CPU the games cost the same when new and they can run every game made for it thats what they are made for sure it doesn't have the graphics of a CPU but like you said its not about graphics and for your friends to play with you on a CPU they all have to have one and a network card and a hub to play the game and they all have to have a copy of it with consoles they all have multiple jacks so all your friend has to have is a controler and they can play too

and for the Price of games people the price of games has only gone up by a few dollers when Mario came out it cost $50 so really saying games cost to much is retarded because if you add inflation we should be paying $100 a game and NES cost $200 so reallt the price of things is vary reasonable compared to back in the day

now for the Cartridge CD thing i think they should do a thing like mini disks for mini disk players not the size hell no but incase the cd in a plastic case its perfect it protects the CD and it holds the same amount and i am sure it doesn't cost that much for a few extra pieces of plastic well thats all i have to say bye
AfroMex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 09:07   #94
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

They want us to scratch are games and make them unreadable. Otherwise they would have put them in plastic cases like minidiscs or made them out of scratch resistant materials.

My 5 year old nephew loves the fatty controller more so than the type s. And you cant disregard the Type S. My two primary controllers are Type S and I Plan to replace one of my fatties for another type S. Maybe 4 type S and one fatty. The Type S is the shit. Deal with it.

So the XBOX has great games. Its also a media center. PS2 isnt really a media center. XBOX has more going for it than the PS2. I play PGR2 and listen to some NERD to some Prodigy whatever. Its an awesome feature.

Sony took the fame PS1 controller from the SNES controller and fucked it up. The DPAD on it sucks and the analog sticks are uncomfortable to use. I may not have midget hands but to me that controller is very uncomfortable as with the placing of the 4 shoulder buttons.

Its like telling Protestants to be Methodists. I don't know why I'm bothering. For each of us its going to be, "I'm right, you're wrong, I'll make you right." and that gets us no where. We should all buy xboxs and be happier.

I'm Back?
Old 3rd April 2004, 14:55   #95
xenosomething
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
XBOX has more going for it than the PS2.
you forget that the xbox is already dead in japan....but MS grows money on bonsai trees so its no big deal.

heres the 2004 sales so far in japan...

PlayStation 2---784,300
GameCube---298,800
Xbox---14,600
WonderSwan Crystal---7,100

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 15:16   #96
dopey

Quote:
"I'm right, you're wrong, I'll make you right." and that gets us no where.

We should all buy xboxs and be happier."
rofl.

Afromex,
When i say a stripped down pc, i mean a proper stripped down pc.

What would be great, is as all the hardware is just bog standard x86 stuff. Someone to somehow copy the rom, stick it on a cd. We can then use that cd to get our pcs to boot up as an xbox stick in the xbox game after its booted and weh hey, we all have xboxes Probably with better spec than the actual xbox.

Infact an xbox game should be fairly easy to get running in windows aswell.

Now that would be awesome.
Old 3rd April 2004, 17:33   #97
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Infact an xbox game should be fairly easy to get running in windows aswell.
Why bother? Most of the games that are out for the Xbox are or will be released on PC.

Quote:
but MS grows money on bonsai trees so its no big deal.
haha

Quote:
The Type S is the shit. Deal with it.
No. I won't deal with it.

Quote:
We should all buy xboxs and be happier.
You can be happy with your Xbox. I'll keep my GameCube, thanks.
Old 3rd April 2004, 18:15   #98
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
you mean we should all buy xbox's so that bill gates can be happier ..and one step closer to total world domination .

Controller preference is more a matter of personal bias. A way to possibly circumvent this bias is to set up an experiment involving non-console owners of different age's. Have these participants play the same selection of games for each console but with each systems proprietary controller (note: the game selection should be diverse as to better expose each controllers strengths and weaknesses ie: PS2 = Fighting, Xbox = FPS, Gamecube = ummm). Finally ask each participant which controller he or she preferred, and thereby legitimizing a true “superior controller”. (which we all know would be the PS2 cont :P)

Old 4th April 2004, 06:35   #99
sgtfuzzbubble011

Why bother? Just use the damn controller that you like best. It's obvious that everyone is going to argue that the controller they prefer is better than all the rest, so there's no friggin' point. It's a useless argument.
Old 4th April 2004, 07:26   #100
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by xenosomething
you forget that the xbox is already dead in japan....but MS grows money on bonsai trees so its no big deal.

heres the 2004 sales so far in japan...

PlayStation 2---784,300
GameCube---298,800
Xbox---14,600
WonderSwan Crystal---7,100
Do I look Japanese to you? I could care less how shit goes over in Japan. All of the friends I know have XBOXs and they are all up in America. Once Japan becomes a 30 minute car ride away I'll care about their numbers.

@Sarge
No one ever said you can't have both a GameCube and an XBOX. And Yes you must deal with its ultamite the shitness.

I'm Back?
Old 4th April 2004, 07:32   #101
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
No one ever said you can't have both a GameCube and an XBOX. And Yes you must deal with its ultamite the shitness.
I know no one said I can't have a Box, too... that's my choice. But why do I have to deal with the Box's controller's ultimate the shitness? Stopped to think recently that maybe I think the Cube's controller's got more ultimate the shitness mojo than the Box's controller? :P I'll see your tiny black/white buttons and raise you a C-stick.
Old 4th April 2004, 07:49   #102
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
I know no one said I can't have a Box, too... that's my choice. But why do I have to deal with the Box's controller's ultimate the shitness? Stopped to think recently that maybe I think the Cube's controller's got more ultimate the shitness mojo than the Box's controller? :P I'll see your tiny black/white buttons and raise you a C-stick.
lol

(PS2 owners sit back and get a chuckle at the 2 runner up's interbickering over who's controller sucks more )

Old 4th April 2004, 08:08   #103
sgtfuzzbubble011

Oh? Is that why you have to have four index fingers to use the PS2 controller?

While we're talking about current controllers, why don't you send your outdated PS2 controller back to Sony and ask them to take all those funky shapes off of it and put some letters on the buttons instead?...
Old 4th April 2004, 08:14   #104
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

my controller has a legacy, a legacy which has won over an overwhelming portion of the population. If it aint broke dont fix it the saying goes, and it seems as though there is some truth to this. Better start doing your finger calestetics now, for who knows what waky configuration nintendo will use for its next system .

Old 4th April 2004, 13:12   #105
xenosomething
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
Do I look Japanese to you? I could care less how shit goes over in Japan.
stop being arrogant.you claimed the xbox has more going for it than the ps2...how can that be if a huge video game market like japan rejects it?

.........?.
Old 4th April 2004, 13:42   #106
zootm
Forum King

it's a more westernised console - there's a lot less games based around bug-eyed anime characters and brightly-coloured animals. just because their culture goes down well over here, doesn't mean that ours goes down well over there.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 15:01   #107
xenosomething
Major Dude

true, but the fact that a western console doesnt go down well over there shows how it doesnt have more going in its favor.

i wasn't suggesting xbox sucks becuase it doesnt do well in japan...but just that the ps2 will always have the advantage of being popular world-wide.

not to mention the effect it has on the japanese elitists here in america.

.........?.
Old 4th April 2004, 16:54   #108
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
my controller has a legacy, a legacy which has won over an overwhelming portion of the population.
Legacy? Legacy my ass. It's nothing more than brand hype. Everybody and their brother thinks that Sony is the shit, so all the sheep automatically follow and swear that the PS2 and it's controller are the best. Please. Give me a break.

You can keep praising your beloved PS2 and it's outdated controller because I don't give a shit. In the meantime, I'll be using a controller that's more advanced and has better ergonomics.
Old 4th April 2004, 17:14   #109
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Legacy? Legacy my ass. It's nothing more than brand hype. Everybody and their brother thinks that Sony is the shit...
such a secluded closed minded community you must live in sgt. Maybe your just venting some frustration, but its ok, just remember what I said about the finger calestetics and enjoy your next waky console .

Old 4th April 2004, 17:18   #110
sgtfuzzbubble011

You bet. And I'll be sure to send you some Icy-Hot for when you get arthritis in your fingers.
Old 5th April 2004, 01:49   #111
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

popularity in a foriegn country doesn't determine how much something has going for it. i was speaking on game quality and console features. xbox has better in both. while one is an opinion the other is fact.

who are the japanese elitests in america?

I'm Back?
Old 5th April 2004, 07:50   #112
xenosomething
Major Dude

people in america who think japanese stuff are better than everything are the elitists....like those fat white guys who buy ninja swords in china town.

and even if the xbox truly does have better games/features, it doesnt mean everybody can see that. how much the systems sells in japan may not matter to you and your friends, but overall its how well a system sells in all diiferent regions that dictates how much it has going for it and not just how much potential it has....not that potential doesn't matter, just that the sales numbers appear more convincing.

take note that i dont like sony. i've had both my ps1 and ps2 die in under 2 years on me....so dont think i'm some fanboy.

.........?.
Old 7th April 2004, 02:32   #113
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

we have different ideas of "has going for it" is. sales does not indicate going for it. it indicates popularity.

dreamcast had plenty going for it. but was not all to popular.

I'm Back?
Old 7th April 2004, 09:05   #114
AfroMex

Have you guys ever thought that in Japan they think thing made in the USA suck ass. that might be why none of them have gone out of their way to try the X-Box. i mean tons of people think that what they make is better then what we have, maybe they are the same way. why buy the american X-Box made by a softwear company? when you can buy the local PS2 or Gamecube made right here at home. the games we see for X-Box are the shit, but how many of them are translated for them. like PS2 and Gamecube we see only a few games that are made for the systems, so really the games they have are the shit and they are just to lazy to bring it to the states. or the games ar to graphic, or they show some skin. Damn those moms that get pissed when they see a boob, or some guy on the shield saying shit. they call the network, and say that their kids are going to be tromatised due to the graphic content on TV and in Vid games. what that mom doesn't know is that their kid is the one in school that gets the shit kicked out of them. because now they can't watch the Super Bowl, because Janet Jackson showed her tit. its messed up when you can't see a breast on TV when for the first few months of your life you were sucking on your moms. and for those that wernt breast fed, then you were givin a bottle that was to resemble your moms breast. oh well, wrong thread for this argument. anyway, so our view of what is better is ours. we have no idea what other countries think until you bring over a Rep. so for now in sales it would be PS2. only because it has more clought in the world market. but X-Bax could come back with X-Box 2 and PS3 might still kill it. you never know but until then we can only speculate and asume whats going to happen.
Old 8th April 2004, 06:29   #115
rpxmaster

Your posts are very biased...er, funny, whiteflip. Is this Bill?
rpxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 05:33   #116
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Biased Opinionated
Tomaeto Tomato.

No one though sony could make a dent in the gaming market back in the Super Nintendo days. You never know. Its too bad that the XBOX is too heavy for many Japanese to carry... :P

I'm Back?
Old 9th April 2004, 16:43   #117
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, if I ever do decide to buy an Xbox, it's a good thing I've got a pickup truck to bring it home.
Old 10th April 2004, 00:00   #118
AfroMex

if you guys can't lift 8lbs then i am sorry for you.
Old 10th April 2004, 00:22   #119
sgtfuzzbubble011

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm
Old 10th April 2004, 07:18   #120
AfroMex

it is hard to show sarcasm in words. Due to they don't have expretion. just a little hint. but i know where your coming from.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center