Old 28th February 2004, 22:46   #41
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Old consoles get played with by people who should realy get out more, lets face it, sgtfuzzbubble99 is how old? and he colects consoles... ..no offence but that beats almost everything in terms of sad behavyour.
Excuse me? Where the hell do you get off telling me that collecting consoles is sad behavior? Have you ever collected anything during your lifetime? Do you know what it's like to be a collector? And how the fuck do you know how often I 'get out?' You need to get your head out of your ass.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 02:13   #42
daKNIGHT

actually it is smart to collect consoles, especially the limited editions or something, bc they will be worth more later on. so about the PSP, which price will be more logical for it? im thinking that it will not be around the price of a GBA, more like 200 or something since its like a little portable entertainment system. i think microsoft will suck with its next system but whatever, im stil waitin for halo two. the next sony will be great, just bc they are spendin so much money on the technology, lets hope they dont fuck up.
daKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 05:00   #43
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Vie your arguments are very transparent

Old Computers DO NOT PLAY new games. Upgraded computers play new games. That debunks your entire Addons argument for the consoles.

Game pricing is similar where console games usually cost more initially.

My NES still works.

My SNES plays GB games and NES games. Adapators can be made. When something knew comes out you don't throw away the old one unless you want to.

Whats with this 500 450 300 argument. I spend 300 for my xbox when it came out. I spent 30 bucks for a second controller. I spend 50 for Halo and 50 for Project Gotham. I still play those games today. Most PC games have less replay value than that.

As far As I can see from society. I see people who play mostly on consoles go out a lot more than basement geeks who twiddle away on their computers day in and day out.

Consoles are accessible to more people so finding people who share similar intrests with you is very simple. Thus a better community is born.

PC Gamers stick mostly to online communities. That is not getting out as much as you think.

In Fact my frinds and I plan to play DuckHunt while driving to Pullman this Spring. Big Screen TV in truck with Canopy and open tail gate. Nintendo in my car behind the truck. This is besides any of my points but its still awesome regardless.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 06:45   #44
xenosomething
Major Dude

i've never seen a game that ever compelled me to get a graphics card to play on my comp....i've used onboard gfx forever and it looks like it will stay that way.

doom 3 and half-life 2 probably wont be anywhere as fun as goldeneye anyways :P

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 19:23   #45
daKNIGHT

thou shall not compare consoles to pc anymore..consoles are the best way for everyone to enjoy gaming...
Old 1st March 2004, 00:36   #46
daKNIGHT

oh yeah, i heard the next sony will have the ability to control or hook up to other sony products, just like a computer...that goes with the Xbox as well...good or bad idea?
Old 1st March 2004, 01:34   #47
sgtfuzzbubble011

Game consoles need to be less like computers. The more they become like computers, the less desirable they'll become. Hooking them together for multiplayer is kinda pushing it a little bit, but is still acceptable. Online gaming is pushing it a little more, but is barely acceptable. Hooking consoles up to other things like computers is a bit too far. Hell, I still think that playing music CDs and DVDs is indicative of it not being a true game console anymore... but it's now a home theater device.

When I buy a console, it plays games. Only games. And even if I do buy a console that has the ability to play movies and music CDs, I won't be playing them on it. That's what CD and DVD players are for.
Old 1st March 2004, 02:22   #48
daKNIGHT

yeah, all game systems will be home entertainment devices soon/now. like the new sony machine, its basically a ps2 but with a hard drive, more hook-ups for devices, the ability to record dvds. damn its just everything in one. online gaming is a good idea, just bc you can play with others. but yeah, they shouldnt have all these damn connections now...way too much and thats why it costs so damn much now!
Old 1st March 2004, 17:32   #49
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
Excuse me? Where the hell do you get off telling me that collecting consoles is sad behavior? Have you ever collected anything during your lifetime? Do you know what it's like to be a collector? And how the fuck do you know how often I 'get out?' You need to get your head out of your ass.
Because I collect old computers and I know how sad it is.

And scale moddle Startrek ship kits, wich is about the only thing that beats it.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 22:40   #50
sgtfuzzbubble011

Ok then, explain to me why you think that collecting things is "sad." I don't see anything wrong with collecting things. I also have several old computers that I've collected over the years, and all of them still work. I've got a model collection, too... only a small portion of it is Star Trek related, but I've got a small model collection nonetheless. I also have a large collection of Hot Wheels cars that have never been taken out of the packages. I've been collecting these for the better part of eight years now, and I'm still slowly collecting them. And everyone already knows about my Nintendo collection...

What's so sad about collecting things?
Old 2nd March 2004, 02:25   #51
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

nothing is sad about collecting thigns if the collecting has a purpose. sentimental or monetary.

i use my xbox to play dvd's. i dont have a dvd player.

I'm Back?
Old 2nd March 2004, 02:28   #52
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
...and now brief deviation from the ongoing debate of "why collecting is sad".

Xbox has released its developments kits for its next gen console, this indicates two things: (A. that the console should be released with in a year 1/2 to 2years (B. the kit it self reflects the hardware that one should program for, there by conferming many of the rumors of what will be in XBoX Next.

More on this:
http://gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/ha...ws/33896.shtml

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2004, 02:39   #53
daKNIGHT

thanx
Old 22nd June 2004, 15:09   #54
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Its Official the Next Xbox will not be backwards compatible.

http://www.gamesindustry******content...e=dev&aid=3645

Old 22nd June 2004, 15:27   #55
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

How is that "official"?

Soon as you see the word "Sources" in any journalistic comment, assume whatever you read from there on inwards to either be a lie or at least some half truth.

Until someone is directly quoted, I wouldn't believe a word of it, just saying "Sources close to Microsoft's senior Xbox executives" dosn't make it official, which senior executives?, when did they say it?, where did they say it?

"GamesIndustry.biz has now learned"... from who?, names?, where?

The only concrete fact in there is that there was some kind of report released that says "if xbox isn't backwards compat" blah blah blah.

My ex wife used to be a journalist, and whenever they needed to fill column inches , but didn't really have a concrete story or quotes, out came the "sources close to", or "an insider today told us"
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 03:35   #56
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

it will be difficult to emulate the hard drive when no hard drive will be present in xbox 2 but perhaps the amount of flash ram they will have will be sufficent?!? or maybe the amount of regular ram. thats the only real problem. all the others can be solves by the speed increases in the hardware and emulators being written.

I'm Back?
Old 13th July 2004, 05:16   #57
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Playable PS3 demo at next years E3.

http://www.gamesindustry******content...e=dev&aid=3771

[Edit] later discovered Lollipop's thread on the same topic, but this link has much more info, so check it out anyways [edit]

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 13th July 2004 at 05:39.
Old 13th July 2004, 06:51   #58
Myxomatosis
aka bRiAnFuRY
Fuck it dude...
let's go bowling.
(Major dud)

Send a message via AIM to Myxomatosis
Computer consoles have been out for awhile, so poop on these.

Alex Jones: Do you want the puppet on the right or the puppet on the left? What a bunch of garbage; liberal democrat, conservative, republican. It's all there to control you! Two sides of the same coin. Two management teams bidding for control, the CEO job of Slavery, Incorporated! The truth is out there in front of you, but they lay out this buffet of lies. I'm sick of it, and I'm not going to take a bite out of it, do you got me?
Myxomatosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2004, 22:23   #59
Cobra5mil

If the next Xbox does not have a HDD in it. That means that either downloading new content over "live" will take tons of memory space, or we will have to buy some sort of HDD like PS2's HDD that is used for Final Fantasy.
Cobra5mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2004, 05:36   #60
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

no. it they are putting a flash drive in it. a very large flash drive. maybe a gig of flash memory? i have like 20 games and all in all it barely scratches 100mb of used disk space. very few game developers utilized the hard drive to improve loading speeds and create larger worlds but there will be so much ram and the ram will be so quick that having a hard drive cache wont be to neccessary.

I'm Back?
Old 20th July 2004, 07:05   #61
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

For this simple reason, I will never buy a console:
My monitor's resolution is better than any TV ever will be (including HiDef).

And another thing, computers are becoming a nessesity for other things than gaming (what are you looking at this through?) .

It's a shame people let the marketers dupe them into first off, buying worthless Dells, and then buying consoles to play games on, while one good comp could last much longer (read: shitty power supplies and out of date RAM) and do more. Think about it your paying twice for much of the same hardware.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2004, 15:22   #62
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Computers are a versatile machine but in terms of gaming they get dated just as quickly as consoles (if not quicker). As for The hardware in consoles, these components are typically near top of the line at their introduction to the market and the machines are always sold at a loss, see if you could buy a PC that pumps out the graphical quality of an Xbox or gamecube for $149. Though a PC may be a jack of all triads, the console is the master of one, its designed explicitly for gaming, it constantly has games developed for it (which wont req u buy a new video card ) and a high degree of the noteworthy designers express their craft souly through consoles. As for the resolution, its true your monitor it capable of higher resolutions, but I would rather be sitting in the comfort of my living room playing on my 32inch with surround sound then at my desk on a 17inch in stereo, but hey that’s just me.

Old 20th July 2004, 15:44   #63
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by EfaustuS9

but I would rather be sitting in the comfort of my living room playing on my 32inch with surround sound then at my desk on a 17inch in stereo, but hey that’s just me.

What he said, nothing beats sitting in the big comfy armchairs , in front of the huge wide screen plasma screen with the dolby 5.1 pumping out from all corners of the room, pile of cold beers , huge bowls of dorittos and three of your mates all hooked into Mario Double Dash for sheer entertainment value.

Tried it once with a PC , not anywhere near as much fun, comfy or easy to get set up
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2004, 19:42   #64
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Yeah some how having slightly higher resoultions on a 19 inch crt doesnt make up for having hidef on a 36inch tv with 5.1 surround.

I'm Back?
Old 21st July 2004, 01:04   #65
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Ok here's really the last thing I have to say about PC's vs Consoles:
Thesis:
With a little tech savy, a PC is cheaper and has higher quality components than consoles when looking at the big picture. Most people don't have this savy (going into Bios, installing case fans and replacing Graphics card), but I haven't met a PC gamer that doesn't.

Lets look at the qualifications for each option:
1. Quality Gaming
2. General Computing (includes net)
3. Online gaming
4. 20in Hi-Def graphics
5. Comfort
6. Quality Digital Music Playback (Hey, this is Winamp.com!)
7. 5.1 Sound
8. DVD Playback
9. 10 games

This will start End of Last summer (when I built My PC), and continue till the end of next summer, and include upgrades to keep within the Qualifications.

Console Setup:
1. XBox $199 (yes, others were cheaper but don't include 5.1)
2. Dell (with cheap monitor and speakers, mouse, keyboard) $900 (conservitive)+($20 56K for 24 months) = $1380
3. $50 starter kit + ($240 for 24 months) = $290
4. $1200 (conservitive)
5. couch = free
6. Wi router and media access point = $100
7. 5.1 reciever and speakers = $200
8. dvd player $50
initial costs = $3420

My PC Setup:
1. and 2. myPC (1g DDR, 2.8 P4 (800fsb), 9600 Pro) with nothing from another system = $2000
3. Adelphia Cable $20 first 6 mo, $35 last 18) = $750
4. 20in flat screen CRT = included above
5. most comfortable Office chair ever found= at garage sale $15 (don't complain I found it second hand, I gave you a free couch)
6. included above
7. audigy + 5.1 creative speakers = included above
8. DVD burner and another DVD drive = included above.
inital costs = $2765

upgrades to x box setup by end of summer 05:
New xbox2= $250 (very conservitive)
new xbox2 live kit = $60
Total upgrades: $310

Upgrades to PC:
Newest videocard around christmas 2004 = $250
overclocking processor: $12 (two 120mm case fans)
total upgrades: $262

10 xbox games (bought when new): $600
10 PC Games (bought when New): $400

Total xbox setup for 2 years: $4330
Total PC setup for 2 years: $3427

Please, don't also make me go into how much more I can do with My $900 cheaper PC setup.
We can argue certain prices and components too if you want (i froggled and adjusted for the year), but for an $900 gap its kinda frivolous.

Old 21st July 2004, 01:31   #66
sgtfuzzbubble011

My Console Setup:
1. GameCube - $99
2. HP Pavilion (2.0ghz, 512megs, onboard AGP) = ~$600
3. Not Applicable - $0
4. 27" Philips CRT television - $250
5. La-Z-Boy recliner - free
6. CD player - $100
7. Surround sound amplifier and speakers - ~$350
8. DVD player - $50
9. 10 GameCube games - ~$300

Total cost - $1749

Btw, this is being very generous with my numbers. My actual costs are probably way lower.
Old 21st July 2004, 02:59   #67
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

In the Present:
all Xbox's have the same factory de facto configuration and do not vary, so all xbox's are $149 which includes a game (halo) and a controller. Now to buy a PC currently that can play Halo (purchase separately) with similar graphical flair and it will set you back a great deal more then $149, not to mention the high quality pressure sensitive vibration controllers it includes. There is also fault to be noted with your console tally in that you included a $900 Dell with two years worth of $20 a month 56k access, for reasons I cant begin to fathom (besides the possible intention of greatly inflating the console figures ). Also the Xbox live, if you do decide to subscribe, is $50 a year so access for 24 months will cost you $100, not $240 (PS2 online service is free but modem is not) and the Wi Fi is not a necessary component. You also neglected to give any attention to the factor of content and comrades, for a living room “couch” and the game library available to consoles (which is of large and diverse content (ie: from Mario to Gran Turismo) is much more conducive to a night with friends as Jones depicted above (friends are free, at least mine are ). Ultimately if you love to game I suggest one buy a console, for that’s its sole purpose and design, and thus it is a cost effective addition to an “already present” entertainment system (In my case the PS2 I purchased used was added to a 32inch Sony analog Tv, Pioneer DvD player, Kenwood 500W 5.1 Surround Sound).

Here are some actual figures and not arbitrary generated numbers:
Xbox: $149.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product
Xbox Live Kit: $49.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...77752?v=glance
Gamecube: $99.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product
Halo PC $29.99
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/226588.asp

Current Cost of Top-of the line Video cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...20_182510.html

You are also a bit misinformed if you think a over clocked single core 32-bit 2.8Ghz P4 (already dated, inefficient, mid range gaming CPU) architecture will be able to keep pace with an XBOX Next which is expected to feature Multiple 64-bit 3.5GHz IBM PowerPC CPU’s, using both PCI-Express and DDR2 (both of which unviable for you current generation chip set and memory interface, which might I add is already 2-years old). Further being cognesent that one can increase a FSB and change out a video card and fan does not necessarily make one savy, esp if one is naive enough to believe that can turn a mid-range gaming PC of today into a competent computator of the next gen games. No doubting that a PC is a dynamic machine but the cost of keeping it as an up to date gaming machine is more prohibitive then just purchasing a console.

Nearest thing to an Xbox Next:
Dual 64-bit 2.5Ghz Power PC MAC: 2,9999.0
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...amily=PowerMac
-----------------------------
More info for Mr. Savy :
Welcome to 05 where we wave good by to Single Core 32-bit CPU’s and hello to dual core 64-bit CPU’s.

Intels Near Future (Bye Bye P4 hello dual 64-bit P-M)

Follow the leader to 64-bit
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04...elnocona_1.html
2 P-M's on one die
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/33689.html

Already has 64-bit, but dual cores soon
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...0614175718.html

Also so long AGP hello PCI-Express:
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...310/index.html

whats the above goanna cost ya?
------------------------------------

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 21st July 2004 at 03:46.
Old 21st July 2004, 03:59   #68
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
In the Present:
all Xbox's have the same factory de facto configuration and do not vary, so all xbox's are $149 which includes a game (halo) and a controller.
This is ageing hardware. You Console supporters continue to quote old hardware and talk about new features. Like I can get a new xbox next for $150
Quote:
Now to buy a PC currently that can play Halo (purchase separately) with similar graphical flair and it will set you back a great deal more then $149, not to mention the high quality pressure sensitive vibration controllers it includes.
My PC comes with a mouse and Keyboard (superior controls, any PC Gamer will testify) and I can pick up a gamepad identical to a ps2 for $15
Quote:
There is also fault to be noted with your console tally in that you included a $900 Dell with a years worth of 56k access, for reasons I cant begin the fathom (besides possibly greatly inflate the console figures ).
This is to show all the extra expenditures that need to be spent for most people because you didn't buy a gaming PC (WTF are you READING THIS ON! WAS IT FREE?).
Quote:
Also the Xbox live, if you do decide to subscribe, is $50 a year so access for 24 moths will cost you $100, not $240 (PS2 online service is free but modem is not)
The figures I googled were $10 a month, price prob has dropped once again to aging hardware.
Quote:
and the Wi Fi is not a necessary component.
How do you listen to your mp3's? Do you just cycle 12 of them on your xbox HD? If you don't listen to mp3's or ogg on your computer WTF are you even doing on this site? You can't tell me you'll listen to them on crappy PC speakers?
Quote:
You also neglected to give any attention to the factor of content and comrades, for a living room “couch”
I have LAN Parties. my comies take care of themselves. Or they don't even leave their house do to seemless internet gaming!
Quote:
and the game library available to consoles (which is of large and diverse content (ie: from Mario to Gran Turismo)
Can't Play mario and halo on the same system! talking about another $200 here
Quote:
is much more conducive to a night with friends as Jones depicted above (friends are free, at least mine are ) Ultimately if you love to game I suggest one buy a console, for that’s its sole purpose and design, and thus it is a cost effective addition to an “already present” entertainment system (In my case it includes a 32inch Sony analog Tv, Pioneer DvD player, Kenwood 500W 5.1 Surround Sound with a PS2).
AS far as Renting Goes: I can crack my friend's games for free no late fees or any crap.
Quote:
You are also a bit misinformed if you think a over clocked single core 32-bit 2.8Ghz P4 (already dated, inefficient, mid range gaming CPU) architecture will be able to keep pace with
Two years old as far as half years go. BTW procssing power doesn't matter in gaming PC's. Doom 3's recomended PC is a P3 1.7-2.0 ghz. I'm WAY there.
Quote:
an xbox next which is expected to feature Multiple 64-bit 3.5GHz IBM PowerPC CPU’s, using both PCI-Express and DDR2 (both of which unviable for you current generation chip set and memory interface which might I add is already 2-years old).
and You precious xbox you continue to price quote is three years old. An xbox next is gonna cost you around $400 since when the xbox 1 came out it was around $300, unless of course you wait to quote it when its old hardware again. Secondly, do you realize I can still play Doom I on my computer? and the origianl Oregon Trail? And every console before and including n64? When was the last time You played Mariokart64 on your xbox?
Quote:
Further being cognesent that one can increase a FSB and change out a video card and fan does not necessarily make one savy,
It would for a majority of console gamers. Plus this includes the savy to not abuse your PC like most 'tards do, so it can run a game like it supposed to run
Quote:
esp if one is naive enough to believe that can turn a mid-range gaming PC of today into a competent competitor to the next gen games.
I don't think you understand, your caught in an illusion many people are: You don't need to have the fastest PC availible to run a new game.
Quote:
No doubting that a PC is a dynamic machine but the cost of keeping it as an up to date gaming machine is more prohibitive then purchasing a console.
whats the above goanna cost ya?
Point Proven in above statement. And probably about as much as a nextbox when I really need to switch. [edit]My not top of the line but still functioning PC will still look better than anything on the 50 year old tech display you call a TV.

Other than being wrong on everything, You really missed the point of the above post: hidden console costs. Im tierd of console gamers saying:
"I've got 5.1 sound! for $150" well WTF is it coming out of? how much did that cost?
and
"Screw your monitor,I have high -def!"
Well, fuck, dont Hi-def TV's cost as much as the new Alienware?
and
"I can play games online!"
But it fucking cost you more than 150 Bones!
and
"Me comrades can play with me!"
Do they not have their own consoles? hows this different than a Lan party besides your friends being to lazy to bring their systems and it only lasting 45 mins?
Is not that $25 a pop for the controllers? So since they have systems did the corps not milk all of you for $300 (3extra conts* $25 *4 people)worth of extra controllers?

Last edited by shakey_snake; 21st July 2004 at 05:00.
Old 21st July 2004, 05:15   #69
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
This is ageing hardware. You Console supporters continue to quote old hardware and talk about new features. Like I can get a new xbox next for $150

I think your own retort best applies, “You don't need to have the fastest PC available to run a new game” ; ). Most of the current pc games run on this “aging hardware” (including Doom 3) with minor graphical loss and at a fraction of the cost might I add. This due to the fact that its engineered for gaming it does not have a bulky OS or the numerous bottlenecks found in PC’s.

Quote:
This is to show all the extra expenditures that need to be spent for most people because you didn't buy a gaming PC (WTF are you READING THIS ON! WAS IT FREE?).

You missed my point, If your intention for your PC is not that of gaming then it has a much longer life span and thus does not necessitate purchasing a new video card or mobo each 3 to 4 years (which u will do if you want to keep above 800x600 with the current games, and this will be more expensive then buying a console, trust me). My current PC is 5 years old and is plenty fast for surfing the net, word processing, and playing both movies (Divix or Mpeg-2) and Mp3’s. Thus my Savy friend if you want to game a fraction of the cost, a console is the most economical choice, esp for thoughts that already have a entertainment set up.

Quote:
The figures I googled were $10 a month, price prob has dropped once again to aging hardware.
ever since its inception it has been 50 dollars a year, savy?

Quote:

I have LAN Parties. my comies take care of themselves. Or they don't even leave their house do to seemless internet gaming!
We have different senses of fun I suppose. Me and mi amigos tend to prefer laxing on a couch in front of one set opposed to each of us isolated hunched in front of a computer. I don’t know it doesn’t have that same since of camaraderie, not to mention the cost of each additional terminals necessary for a lan party causes the price of co-op gaming on a PC to sky rocket. Also having to lug the cumbersome terminals over ur house isn’t as nealy as friendly as inviting some friends over for a match.

Quote:

Can't Play mario and halo on the same system! talking about another $200 here AS far as Renting Goes: I can crack my friend's games for free no late fees or any crap.
you much off your poor comrades gaming library, tisk tisk and that selection is only limited to what games he has purchased. As for console games, I did not mention the purchasing of used games, or the use of mod chips if you wish to be rebellious which can serve the same purpose by keep gaming costs down (the former is what I personally do).

Quote:
when the xbox 1 came out it was around $300, unless of course you wait to quote it when its old hardware again.
Even when the Xbox was $300, games that were released at that systems introduction to the market (Halo, Rally Sport Racing, Dead or Alive 3 etc) were similar or greater then the graphical quality that was available for the PC at that time. Even then equivalent PCs still cost considerably more then $300 my savy cohort. Besides developers design with the user base in mind and at the release xbox 1 (2001) most people still had sub Ghz computers.

Quote:

Secondly, do you realize I can still play Doom I on my computer? and the origianl Oregon Trail? And every console before and including n64?
as whiteflip mentioned above you don’t have to sell or throw away an old console, and the PS2 (which I own) is backward compatible as are to be all next gen consoles (supposedly).

Quote:

When was the last time You played Mariokart64 on your xbox?
just as they have emulators for the PC they have them for the Xbox. (would give you a link to them but It has been prohibited by the mods)

Quote:

My not top of the line but still functioning PC will still look better than anything on the 50 year old tech display you call a TV.
not as you suffer the effects Macular Degeneration associated with freqent computer use. I thank you

http://www.bausch.com/us/vision/twenties/cvs.jsp
Old 21st July 2004, 05:42   #70
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

You do realize Doom 3 comes out next week? How could it be a current PC game?

Old 21st July 2004, 05:48   #71
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

what,nullified your arguments down to that one?

ok, Is not next week a current or semi-current event? If Doom 3 is not a current game it would interest me as to how you define a current game.

Though it is true that The XboX version is not due to be released untill around X-mas. Which I still wont get to play for I dont own either a PC with the nessisary power or an Xbox.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 21st July 2004 at 06:08.
Old 21st July 2004, 06:12   #72
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
I think your own retort best applies, “You don't need to have the fastest PC available to run a new game” ; ). Most of the current pc games run on this “aging hardware” (including Doom 3) with minor graphical loss and at a fraction of the cost might I add. This due to the fact that its engineered for gaming it does not have a bulky OS or the numerous bottlenecks found in PC’s.
Your wrong. Consoles can run dumbed down versions of PC games but not the real game(see Vice City.. sure it was out first on PS2, but compared to the PC version, it sucked) Secondly, to run new console games, you will have to buy a new console
Quote:

You missed my point, If your intention for your PC is not that of gaming then it has a much longer life span and thus does not necessitate purchasing a new video card or mobo each 3 to 4 years (which u will do if you want to keep above 800x600 with the current games, and this will be more expensive then buying a console, trust me). My current PC is 5 years old and is plenty fast for surfing the net, word processing, and playing both movies (Divix or Mpeg-2) and Mp3’s. Thus my Savy friend if you want to game a fraction of the cost, a console is the most economical choice, esp for thoughts that already have a entertainment set up.
I dont think you understand... once again... A GAMING PC does both. you could sell that 5 yr old POS and your consoles and all the crap I listed above.. Buy a good gaming PC and probably stand to profit
Quote:

We have different senses of fun I suppose. Me and mi amigos tend to prefer laxing on a couch in front of one set opposed to each of us isolated hunched in front of a computer. I don’t know it doesn’t have that same since of camaraderie, not to mention the cost of each additional terminals necessary for a lan party causes the price of co-op gaming on a PC to sky rocket. Also having to lug the cumbersome terminals over ur house isn’t as nealy as friendly as inviting some friends over for a match.
just because your monitors not divided into 1/4s doesn't mean your isolated. A router is like $20 and weighs about 2lbs.
Quote:

you much[sic] off your poor comrades gaming library, tisk tisk and that selection is only limited to what games he has purchased. As for console games, I did not mention the purchasing of used games, or the use of mod chips if you wish to be rebellious which can serve the same purpose by keep gaming costs down (the former is what I personally do).
Are you saying I can't buy used PC games?
Quote:

Even when the Xbox was $300, games that were released at that systems introduction to the market (Halo, Rally Sport Racing, Dead or Alive 3 etc) were similar or greater then the graphical quality that was available for the PC at that time.
I'm afraid I'm just gonna half to diagree with you there.
Quote:
Even then equivalent PCs still cost considerably more then $300 my savy cohort. Besides developers design with the user base in mind and at the release xbox 1 (2001) most people still had sub Ghz computers.
Upgrading a good Pc might have been more expensive for a matter of weeks, but not much longer than that.
Quote:

as whiteflip mentioned above you don’t have to sell or throw away an old console, and the PS2 (which I own) is backward compatible as are to be all next gen consoles (supposedly).
Here's the kicker: When I upgrade my MOBO and processor It will still be sweet compared to grandma's email getter. Thus I will be able to sell it, and recupe at least half my cost of the new mobo/p/DDR
Quote:

just as they have emulators for the PC they have them for the Xbox. (would give you a link to them but It has been prohibited by the mods)
probably sucks considering the hardware can probaly barely emulate the 64 hardware, you know being 3 yr old hardware and all
Quote:
you suffer the effects Macular Degeneration associated with freqent computer use. I thank you
same could be said for all those japanese kids with carpol tunnel at age 15 from playing too many consoles.

Old 21st July 2004, 06:19   #73
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

current means released. as in I can go buy it and play it right now.

Old 21st July 2004, 12:31   #74
Cleanup
The WWYD Jerk
(Forum King)

.. Who argues about video games at 7 in the morning on Tuesday?
Cleanup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2004, 16:48   #75
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

----------------------------
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shakey_snake
Your wrong. Consoles can run dumbed down versions of PC games but not the real game(see Vice City.. sure it was out first on PS2, but compared to the PC version, it sucked)Secondly, to run new console games, you will have to buy a new console.

1st you are comparing the PC version to the 4 year old console version (PS2 release 3/00 jap). 2ndly your assessments are biased largely on you bias, and are not of and independent and indifferent source.

Here is one not so enamored w his PC:
http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/grand-t...ck/6370p1.html

-------------------------------
I dont think you understand... once again... A GAMING PC does both. you could sell that 5 yr old POS and your consoles and all the crap I listed above.. Buy a good gaming PC and probably stand to profit.

That is largely speculative, but if you wish I could run down the cost of turning this 5 year old PC ( 504Mhz PIII oc, 128Mb PC100SD RAM, 2x AGP TnT2Ulra 175Mhz oc) into a current gaming rig, I can, but I assure you it would be more expensive then buying a current generating console. Further this computer is capable of doing the task I for mentioned for years to come, and a console generation is 5 years .Thus considering the fact that a console generation is 5 years I find it doubtful that a gaming rig can sustain for such a time span with out upgrades if you want to continue playing the current PC games above 800x600. I am in fact both a console gamer and a PC gamer, but as my computers aged the cost of upgrading it was greater then purchasing a console (separating the tasks save money, got it ; )) . Besides, the point of gaming is "games", not hardware, or ascetics, and consoles have the greatest choice of plat formers, racers,fighting, sport titles, and action games.

--------------------------------
just because your monitors not divided into 1/4s doesn't mean your isolated. A router is like $20 and weighs about 2lbs.
-------------------------------

and what of the terminals weight and cost of each of the terminals (the main points of my prior statement ).

------------------------------
Are you saying I can't buy used PC games?

Once again that was not the main point, the point is the cost of games is usualy less and avalability of games is always greater for a console then that of a PC even if you do much off your friends. Also if you find it so hard to return the game in 5 days then I suggest an online monthly rental service. also if you have a mod chip you can just download the games to the Xbox HD very cheap.

I'm afraid I'm just gonna half to diagree with you there.

Of course you most certainly can, but once again their in little substance to you disagreement.Top PC games of 2001,
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...lector/012502/

notice that the recommended system requirements of all these games is at or below 700Mhz and 32MB video. The xbox more then meets these system req's still $300, and is not hampered by a bulky OS or bottlenecks inherent to PC's.

Now, observe porting Xbox games to the PC with similar luster.
http://happypuppy.com/editorial/view...torial_id=4245
http://www.pcgameworld.com/review.php/id/421/

note how both reviewers, harp on the steep system req's of the PC versions of these early xbox games.

Upgrading a good Pc might have been more expensive for a matter of weeks, but not much longer than that. Here's the kicker: When I upgrade my MOBO and processor It will still be sweet compared to grandma's email getter.
----------------------------

speculative once again, no concrete data. Let me be a bit speculative for a change, You spent $20000 for an already mid-range gaming rig, I spent $1,200 5 years ago on my PC which doest need an upgrade to perform most the task's your $2000 computer does. Also the cost of the PS2 I have was $100 (with 2 cont) thus both these components serve their independent purposes quite well, and are much more cost effective then your gaming rig now and in the future. Purchasing items for a sole purpose is often cheaper then buying one item that does it all.

---------------------------
same could be said for all those japanese kids with carpol tunnel at age 15 from playing too many consoles.

Welcome to the west my friend, where macular denegation is a problem.

by this time most of you retorts are ignoring the point and speculative, so this will be my final response to you snake, for we are making little ground and expending too much time and energy.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 21st July 2004 at 17:23.
Old 21st July 2004, 17:07   #76
devils night

Quote:
US 2006. Microsoft has not stipulated weather the Next Xbox will be backward compatible.
Actually they did state that Xbox will not be backwards compatible sense the system will be based on a G5 CPU instead of a PC CPU.

Xbox sucks anyway the only good exclusive game on it is Halo and the only good thing about it would be that you can mod it and downlaod games onto the HDD. and with that said PS2 finally has them beat with that feature i can download games onto any HDD i can put into my PS2 without even trying to chip it. One thing i am really going to be intrested in is the next Nintendo system, they are saying it is not going to be a nex gen Gamecube but somthing totally different which is why i am so very curious about it.

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2004, 20:43   #77
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Here's really my whole pt:
If you honestly think that a console can compare to a gaming PC pricewise and feature/qualitywise, then you're the product of a society that knows how to market.

Old 22nd July 2004, 01:31   #78
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

i played mario cart 64 on my friends friends xbox. hes going to help me mod mine so i can play my old school console games on one system. worked pretty well.

I have friends. My friends are real people that live near me. They like to play console games too. We play together, in one room, unless its a system link lan party, Than its two rooms.

I'm Back?
Old 22nd July 2004, 02:19   #79
sgtfuzzbubble011

Four friends playing Mario Kart - Double Dash on a GameCube beats any damn online gaming crap you can think of.
Old 22nd July 2004, 03:40   #80
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

@Devils:I hold no animosity towards any of the console or PC gamers, they made their choice for their own reasons and I don’t think less of them for it. Each has its own perks and to each his own, it does unsettle me a bit when an individual unjustly bestows contempt on others because of their decision and their preferences.

also I took particular interest in the Sony HDD software when you posted in another thead. Have you since tried it? for if it is proven to work I am quite interested .

@whiteflip: turn your Xbox into a muti-media center:
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...511/index.html
also check out more of xbox untapped capabilities check out at this web page.
http://www.xbox-scene.com/

This Tech Tv article is also helpful:
http://www.g4techtv.com/feature.aspx?article_key=43038

@sgt: I can remember the great enjoyment derived from playing the old SNES and even N64 versions of Mario Kart w a bunch of friends (still do in fact), certainly good times indeed. If you find your self ever hankering for some mario kart combatatants and friends are asleep or preoccupied I suggest checking you this out.

Warp Pipe
http://www.download.com/Mario-Kart-D...-10283628.html

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center