Old 21st November 2004, 21:33   #1
Starbucks
Forum King

Smile Nintendo DS goes on sale in America

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=670
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 21:40   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

I finally got to see one up close about an hour ago or so. I went to the mall, and they had a couple demo units in GameStop. They look really good on paper, and they look even better in your hand. I'll definitely be getting a couple of these, but not right away. I'm sure they'll drop the price on them in about a year or so, and I'll probably pick up a second one then... but it'll probably be a couple months from now before I get my first one. Gotta save all the cash I can right now.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 09:21   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Anybody had full on hands experience with one yet?, what's the build quality like if you have?

I've read various reviews and stuff that says the screens are amazing, really full of colour and vibrant, while the case and what have you feels really cheap and nasty, flimsy even
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 09:47   #4
mysterious_w
Forum King

One thing I don't get is this, is the DS the GBA2, or a spin-off like the virtua boy?

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2004, 10:23   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

They claim it's a spin off, and not a direct replacement for the GBA, some bullshit like you have the cube for home entertainment, the GBA for portable entertainment and the DS as some mystery "3rd arm".

Gawd knows what they mean by that, the rumor mill has it that a succesor to the GBA will debut some point next year.

My guess would be they are aiming the DS as some kind of online gameplaying experience, in theory as this thing uses wireless 802 style connections you could I suppose, with the right software, hook it to the web, us it as a internet hub and play multiplayer against anyone in the world rather than someone else sitting in the same room as you.

That intrigues me, as long as they can make getting on line as painless as possible, they may have just invented a whole new idea for portable gaming, imagine playing a metroid death match against 'Sarge while waiting for the bus , using the nearest Starbucks wireless hotspot or something.

And as wireless internet is becoming easier and easier to set up, most devices are just plug and play these days,, I think they may be onto something.
Old 22nd November 2004, 13:43   #6
electricmime
Major Dude

no, its not a replacement for the gba, they are coming out with another gba later(i think called game boy evolution? it seems 'evoultion' fits this one better) but it will have one screen, and actually have the name 'game boy' unlike this which is just ds... they said that if sony gets the handheld market and/or the ds fails, they would be ready to release in like 06, otherwise they will probably release it in 07 or 08...

there are a few things that bug me about the ds(but i still got one), the first is the portability of it.. it seems that if riding in a car/train/plane/whatever it would shake, and it would be hard to write steady with the stylus/thumb strap... i also think they should have included an analog stick, even though they have the touch screen, some games are just better with analog.. and of course it angers me that they didnt have warioware as a launch title... (wario, animal crossing and metroid are the three titles i am looking foward to most)

but warioware seems almost perfect for the ds, though at least we have feel the magic(they say its like warioware with a plot.. but not as good because there are fewer, but longer games)

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2004, 00:12   #7
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Jones said
imagine playing a metroid death match against 'Sarge while waiting for the bus
And I'd pwn j00r ass, too.
Old 23rd November 2004, 01:44   #8
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i got to play it at best buy. it feels just as if not a bit tighter than the sp. metroid hunters handles suprisingly like a traditional fps with a bunch of different options for control. you dont have to use the stylus fingers work; using the touch thing is alot easier but comparable to the touch pad on a lap top. the batteries last at least as long as an sp. with the touch screen in theory you would'nt need analog control you could have little virtual joysticks and buttons that would handle, although not feel, the same. which i hope developers will realise

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2004, 07:37   #9
electricmime
Major Dude

mine came in today, and although initially i was disapointed in the control(especially with mario 64) after about 7 or 8 stars i got used to it, and couldnt put it down

Old 24th November 2004, 05:01   #10
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I got mine. After hearing so many bad things about the Mario 64 control, I was pleasantly surprised with how near-perfect it is. Not as perfect as the original, but it does the job as well as I need it to. Playing as Yoshi all-out rules.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 19:08   #11
thecodebreaker

I'm from canada and I don't see the metroid game anywhere!!
Does it just come with the unit? I probably getting one within the week. (170$ cdn)
thecodebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 19:35   #12
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

It's a demo, it comes packaged with the unit, it's not for sale by itself.
Old 25th November 2004, 01:22   #13
xenosomething
Major Dude

im getting mine sometime soon too...

i really want to see for myself how mario plays.

i've heard everything from it being way better and fluid to it being slow and unplayable....i wonder how much hand size matters with the thumb-strap

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2004, 04:17   #14
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

We had one DS returned because of dead pixels at work today. One reason LCDs are crappy. I think I'll buy one after christms sometime. Can't right now because I just bought one of the new slim PS2s.

LawnGnome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2004, 06:20   #15
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

There was a thread on some other gaming forum that was titled 'if you own a DS have you got dead pixels'

When I last looked it had reached something like 350 replies with about a 120 or so with dead pixels, a 1 in 3 ratio is not good by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 25th November 2004, 17:44   #16
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

reminded to say something by above avatar. someone needs to tell nintendo or more directly square to put out final fantasy 7 - 9 on the ds. they could definitly be just as good and have a good chance of looking better. i wonder if there is a way of hotswapping ds cart/cards. ds media can hold at least 1 gig so it would take ~ 2 ds card thingers to = the 4 discs of those games.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2004, 17:57   #17
mysterious_w
Forum King

maybe not, most of it is fmv, and can the ds handle that?

Old 25th November 2004, 21:06   #18
xenosomething
Major Dude

the ds is already getting a new FF:CC...and the rest of the world is finally getting a translated FF3 on ds too.

and with any luck square is gonna give us FF tactics DS.

but i'd REALLY like to see a wind waker based game where you conduct the wind using the stylus....that would be so perfect.

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2004, 00:49   #19
electricmime
Major Dude

though its doubtful being that many people (myself not included) disliked the windwaker... and they would probably get pissed at anything resembling it

Old 26th November 2004, 23:21   #20
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

DOes DS stand for Doorstop?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2004, 02:01   #21
Starbucks
Forum King

Quote:
ds media can hold at least 1 gig so it would take ~ 2 ds card thingers to = the 4 discs of those games.
Good luck trying to sell a modern FF game on 2 1GB carts. Developers will be lucky if they can break even. 1GB carts are very expensive to produce. Imagine 2. That can't possibly cost less than $80.

What are the current prices for DS games? I hear it's as high as $50 at game stop. No thanks, I'll wait for Flash2DS
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2004, 03:25   #22
electricmime
Major Dude

nintendo games are all 30, and most 3rd parties are 35-40... though i thought i saw some at 30... i havent seen any at 50

Old 29th November 2004, 22:43   #23
LuigiHann
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
There was a thread on some other gaming forum that was titled 'if you own a DS have you got dead pixels'

When I last looked it had reached something like 350 replies with about a 120 or so with dead pixels, a 1 in 3 ratio is not good by any stretch of the imagination.
Uhh... keep in mind this is a ratio of people posting in a thread about dead pixels, not a ratio of units. I think plenty of people without the dead pixel problem might simply ignore that thread, since it doesn't effect them... In fact, I'm curious why 230 people without dead pixels would post in a "if you have a dead pixel" thread at all...

Old 30th November 2004, 01:23   #24
sgtfuzzbubble011

I got a quick chance to play the Metroid Hunters demo yesterday. I must say, it was quite a bit smoother than I expected it to be. The controls handled it amazingly well. I'm rather impressed with it, and I don't even have one yet.
Old 4th December 2004, 05:14   #25
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

I've been playin Metroid Hunters at work a lot lately. I may be swayed into buying one before christmas but maybe not. The DS at work is gettin pretty scratched up. But I think it may just be the way people handle that thing. I mean come on people, you dont have to inscribe your every move in the screen. Be gentle.

Old 5th December 2004, 19:47   #26
LuigiHann
Forum King

Yeah, I see that happen a lot too. When I was in line to buy mine I saw some kid who looked totally baffled as to why the machine wasn't recognising his click ON THE TOP SCREEN. He just kept tapping it and tapping it. What was he trying to press? The logo? Some people are so stupid they've gotta go ruin everything.

Old 17th December 2004, 02:21   #27
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

CompUSA is teh gheyness. They are selling DSs for $225.

Check it.

Old 17th December 2004, 03:04   #28
LuigiHann
Forum King

At first I thought that's stupid, but apparently they're capitalizing on the everyplace-else-will-be-sold-out-and-we-ship-overnight-before-christmas thing. Evil, but ... well, mostly just evil.

Old 17th December 2004, 03:05   #29
sgtfuzzbubble011

Yeah, I'd say you're right. That is teh gheyness. Even GameStop is selling them for $150, just like everyone else.
Old 17th December 2004, 07:15   #30
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

What a load of crap, I can import them from Japan to the UK for cheaper, not a lot cheaper, but still cheaper when you take into account postage/import tax blah blah blah
Old 17th December 2004, 17:25   #31
mark
Forum King

DS plays GBA games right? waht about older gameboy games?
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2004, 17:40   #32
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

GBA only, GBC and GBM aint supported, it simply dosn't have the old z80 processor built in, supposedly a cost cutting move.

It has the ARM9 processor for DS titles, ARM7 for GBA and that's it, whereas the GBA has the ARM7 and z80 built in.
Old 17th December 2004, 18:25   #33
mark
Forum King

feh. I still have my old advance. I'll trade in my (6 month old ) SP and get one. how muchi knock off the price byl trading in my sp?
Old 17th December 2004, 22:34   #34
sgtfuzzbubble011

If you've got an SP and a GBA, why not just trade the GBA in instead of the SP?
Old 17th December 2004, 22:54   #35
mark
Forum King

sp is worth more, and Gamestop wont take the GBA because i peeled off the sticker with the serial number. Game™ in the UK would take it, but only for £10.
Old 18th December 2004, 01:04   #36
electricmime
Major Dude

just out of curiosity, why did you peel that sticker off?

Old 18th December 2004, 11:30   #37
mysterious_w
Forum King

I always peel stickers off things, they really annoy me for some unknown reason.

Old 18th December 2004, 14:20   #38
sgtfuzzbubble011

If they only give you 10 for it, I'd say it's not worth trading in. Just keep it and save up a little more money.
Old 18th December 2004, 16:03   #39
mark
Forum King

how much would gamestop give for a mint condition sp?
Old 19th December 2004, 02:24   #40
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

around $25 credit 20% less if you want cash. Depends on the condition and how many the store has in stock. You might be able to get $30 credit tops.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center