Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 12:21   #403
Squashed

Top, thanks!
Squashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 13:34   #404
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Color surprise!! I didn't see that coming.. I like it!

Next is... ?

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 14:24   #405
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
New SHOUTcast site just launched :-)
www.shoutcast.com

Phase 1 complete....

Waiting for phase 2!
SHOUTcast site looks very nice and works fine. Good job. Blue colour is nice, however I prefer orange
-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 16:39   #406
A11ectis

Just added SHOUTcast to my Online Services in Winamp just so "radionomy" would appear somewhere. :P
A11ectis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 01:50   #407
MarkRH

I take it the AAC stations not being able to be played at the new Shoutcast site will be corrected at some point since Winamp has no problems playing them?

Update: nevermind, just need to click the download button and then pick Winamp and it downloads the PLS file to play the station in Winamp. Have to use Firefox though, doesn't work within Winamp's internal browser.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 01:56   #408
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRH View Post
I take it the AAC stations not being able to be played at the new Shoutcast site will be corrected at some point since Winamp has no problems playing them?
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=10

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 02:03   #409
MarkRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
Yeah, I updated my post. I figured out how to get the stations to play in Winamp. Gotta use the download button and pick Winamp (in Firefox, Winamp internal browser doesn't work)
Old 25th June 2014, 02:04   #410
DrO

MarkRH: the new site isn't designed to work inside of Winamp though i've found clicking on the links generally works ok - but as it's not designed to work, anything is possible from Winamp itself blocking things to the version of IE causing it.

the old AOL site (from the 2009 re-design) was never able to play AAC streams and i've made an edit to the post ChiggyChiggy has linked to which tries to explain why it is and what the solution is (which is the hard part in trying to get broadcasters to update their software!).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 02:09   #411
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
(which is the hard part in trying to get broadcasters to update their software!).
If a workaround isnt the chosen solution, perhaps not letting broadcasters broadcast in that format could work? Theyd have no broadcasters so theyd have to use something the new site supports

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
Old 25th June 2014, 02:16   #412
DrO

are you seriously saying we should give a big f**k you to everyone broadcasting in AAC? and also in the process annoying every listener who wants to listens to AAC streams via SHOUTcast...
Old 25th June 2014, 02:19   #413
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
are you seriously saying we should give a big f**k you to everyone broadcasting in AAC? and also in the process annoying every listener who wants to listens to AAC streams via SHOUTcast...
I may or may not have forgotten to use my brain for a sec there...

Old 25th June 2014, 02:25   #414
DrO

i think you definitely forgot to use it. there are ways to encourage broadcasters to update, but some of it involves work from our side first (quite a lot actually) and then conveying the importance of updating as it's starting to affect the experience for listeners (and without them, what's the point in being a broadcaster...).

since most of the things i've seen requested by SHOUTcast listeners is already possible to do, but it needs the majority of stations being on a v2.x DNAS instead of a v1.x DNAS (which there will be people using no matter what like those still using v1.8.x)

e.g. finding stations near to you is already possible but there's not enough location data in the system from stations to make it worthwhile to enable and make accessible to 3rd party developers via the API.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:07   #415
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
www.shoutcast.com

Phase 1 complete....
IMPORTANT

Please note that the SHOUTcast view in Winamp is still a temporary one.
It's currently just redirecting from /scradioinwinamp to the shoutcast.com homepage.

The page needs to be stretched wide enough for the Genres, Genre, Listeners, Bitrate & Type columns to appear
and the > Play arrow for the embedded player will not work.

To get stations to play from Winamp's online services, you'll need to click the 'Down' arrow and select Winamp (for PLS) or M3U.

Winamp will also need to be set as the default PLS & M3U playlists handler
(via: Winamp > Prefs > File Types, under Win XP/Vista/7, or via the Default Programs Control Panel under Win8)

Hopefully, there'll be a proper Winamp-specific SHOUTcast Radio view to follow, sooner or later....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 14:15   #416
ryerman
Major Dude

Looks good.
It's nice to see the fruit of your labour!

Is it just me, or are the column sorts non-functioning for Shoutcast in Winamp.
They work in Firefox and IE.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 21:19   #417
MarkRH

Hmm, the inside Winamp version of the Shoutcast page just changed. It's now a bare bones black and white interface with the play button on the station playing it in Winamp. Certainly still a work in progress but it's getting there.
Old 26th June 2014, 21:57   #418
synthetiq

yay, waiting for phase 2
synthetiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 23:07   #419
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRH View Post
Hmm, the inside Winamp version of the Shoutcast page just changed. It's now a bare bones black and white interface with the play button on the station playing it in Winamp. Certainly still a work in progress but it's getting there.
Yes, it's getting there.

Though it still needs stretching out wide enough for the Genres, Genre, Listeners, Bitrate & Type columns to appear.

It needs to be set to a value of somewhere around 850px width before it changes to mobile mode.
(It's currently set to ~1005 px)

The screenshots below show the difference between 1 pixel either way (thin & wide).

Name:	winamp_scradio_thin.jpg
Views:	2401
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	51244   Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp_scradio_wide.jpg
Views:	1413
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	51245  
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 02:29   #420
ujay
Forum King

Hi Egg,

Getting a mousewheel scrolling issue with the latest SC page.

With focus on the Media Library then scrolling the SC pane operates the volume control in the main window.
With focus on any other window then scrolling the SC pane operates as it should.
Seems to only happen once focus has been given to the Media Library via the SC pane, the left hand pane doesn't do it unless you then click on something in the SC pane.

I can give you a slightly more complete report if it would be useful at this stage.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 07:06   #421
LOQUILLO

Quote:
www.shoutcast.com

Phase 1 complete....
Cool
LOQUILLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 10:03   #422
Thermaltake

Hi, I am using 5.666 version of winamp, and auto-tag doesn't work anymore, any chance that can be fixed or something I really find that useful sometimes.
Thermaltake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 10:28   #423
MarkRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
Hi, I am using 5.666 version of winamp, and auto-tag doesn't work anymore, any chance that can be fixed or something I really find that useful sometimes.
This thread explains why: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377496

Has to do with Winamp being sold to Radionomy and licensing/contracts with Gracenote ending.
Old 30th June 2014, 22:20   #424
madico

waiting for the new winamp version and auto-tag as well
madico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 11:49   #425
Merv-Wiz

Happy To Wait

I have used Winamp almost since it first appeared, and have been very satisfied with it's performance and the features therein. Gracenote was of particular interest to me, as I have digitised a very extensive collection of vinyl (a lot of which are no longer available to buy or as download from Spotify etc.) The only way to preserve my aging collection of Vinyl was to digitise, but of course I then had to tag them. I found Gracenote was probably only 80% right, but knowing the details myself I could correct the wrong tags.
Over the years I have found all aspects of Winamp suited my needs, one of particular interest to me was the ease with which you can manage your music player.
I particularly did NOT want to be tied to iTunes to manage my iPod.
My point being I'm happy to make do at the moment, and wait (I hope) an even better product when it comes back.
Merv-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 00:38   #426
FragaCampos

Just registered to thank Winamp's team for these 18 years where it was (and still is) my mediacenter of election.

I hope it can come back again better and more tuned up than ever!

Go, Winamp!
FragaCampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 01:42   #427
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

New fan-site dedicated to Winamp stuff (skins & plugins, original FAQ, overview, history, "news", etc) with a nice interface and a working search function: http://winampheritage.com.

The only problem is that it doesn't seem to have any actual files online (skins or plugins), at least I couldn't access, anybody else can access some of the files?? (was temporary, today I can)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 02:02   #428
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
The only problem is that it doesn't seem to have any actual files online (skins or plugins), at least I couldn't access, anybody else can access some of the files??
Yes, I'm able to download stuff. It is a multi-step process requiring a "save link as" at the end.

True to it's name, most of the stuff is old.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 22:56   #429
mrmister001

Hi there, I am giving you right now the reasons what made me left winamp to move to foobar2000, so perhaps you could improve Winamp right now to the right path.

1) I left winamp because it took a lot of resources
Yes, I was tired to see how my computer resources were used to a 20% !!! that was insane, with foobar2000 I only use a 3% and is what I expect from a player, that be light, and play the music outstanding.

2) I left winamp because I was unable to reset certain songs of my playlist or albums from my playlist
I can do that in foobar2000 very easily, just with a right click. I would like to have that in winamp, sometimes you listen a song, but you want to reset the times played counter to 0, perhaps you listened the song but not very well, so that time is not something you would like to have in mind as played, and you want to reset it to 0. I was unable to do that with winamp

I really would like to come back to winamp, it always was my player since the 90s... but those two things are absolutely necessary for me, sadly, if you don't fix them, I will continue with foobar2000... perhaps someday you would fix those things.

And finally I would like to have some useful things in winamp

An auto-scanning option. I have almost 2 TB, yes, TeraBytes of music, in my hard disk. Many times, I am sad because I know I have great songs there, but I never was able to listen, simply, because I don't have physical time for that.

Would be amazing if a player could allow me to configurate a mode, in which I can play automatically an album, following some rules. For example, I want it plays just 5 seconds of the first minute, and then other 5 seconds in the half of the mp3. With that, I have an idea if I like that song or not. If I can configure that behaviour to make a scan of 5 seconds, just in 2 parts of the mp3 and only in 5 mp3 of a certain album (that has for example 20 songs)... I could have an idea about that album, and if I like it or not, so I would be able to browse all my digital music, knowing better what do I have and what do I like or not.

At the moment I don't know any single player in the world, doing this.

Cheers
mrmister001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 23:24   #430
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmister001 View Post
1) I left winamp because it took a lot of resources
Yes, I was tired to see how my computer resources were used to a 20% !!! that was insane, with foobar2000 I only use a 3% and is what I expect from a player, that be light, and play the music outstanding.
which resources are you specifically referring to, though it's really a rough metric to base anything against as 3% CPU usage on one machine is not comparable to 3% CPU usage on another. already there has been an effort to try to reduce memory usage (mainly from fixing leaks since v5.64-v5.66x) but the bigger your library gets, the more memory Winamp or Foobar2000 or anything else will use. yes certain things can be done to remove (or delay when things are loaded), but certain aspects of resource usage just cannot be reduced any further than already is done.

Quote:
2) I left winamp because I was unable to reset certain songs of my playlist or albums from my playlist
I can do that in foobar2000 very easily, just with a right click. I would like to have that in winamp, sometimes you listen a song, but you want to reset the times played counter to 0, perhaps you listened the song but not very well, so that time is not something you would like to have in mind as played, and you want to reset it to 0. I was unable to do that with winamp
are you referring to the playcount tracked via the 'history' view or the 'local library' views ? as it's a simple change to add an option in the history view (though it's then at odds with having things in there which don't have a playcount...). so a bit more clarity of what you mean (as i don't know what the other players do - despite having Foobar2000 installed on my machine, it's just there for very basic testing of things for SHOUTcast where i need to check other client handling).
Old 8th July 2014, 23:39   #431
mrmister001

Hi DrO
I am giving a screenshot of my foobar2000, as you can see the resources taken are a 0,1 % so you can imagine what I mean, this player play a song and is literally as if it was not there... basically don't take any resource at all.
I think that perhaps the resources problem of the winamp player are the skins, perhaps you should allow winamp enter in a robust mode, in which you get a player with a skin that don't take resources, but I don't know the source code of winamp so I don't know why the resources problem is there...
Here you can see foobar2000 in action, only 0,1% of resources

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...pse069791c.png

I am not using winamp since 2 or 3 years, so I don't remember very well, but I will try to describe you what I mean...
When you go to Local Media in winamp, to the right side, you have the album's... well below you have the tracks of that album...
What I mean is to reset the times played of a certain song, and put that value to zero, because sometimes I listen a song but that is only a preview and I really don't want to see that song was played before, because if I see that, perhaps I don't want to listen it anymore... perhaps I was only listening a preview of it... so reseting the times played of a certain track it's very important, I can do that easily in foobar2000 with a plugin called fooplaycount
I only click in the song I want to reset the times it was played, then right click with my mouse, then I see a menu, then I select playback statistics and then reset statistics, and I have the number of times my track was played, reseted to zero.
In the same menu I have the option of rate it with stars.
That control over the play list is absolutely necessary, it allow the users to maintain their playlist clean, and allow them to tackle fast previews and then reseting those songs to zero times played, because they were only listened for a preview, but really were not listened in full...
mrmister001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 03:13   #432
musicf8
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
snip
Personally imo I think you should give winamp another run before you make suggestions, especially given that it's been 2-3 years since you've used it. Why not install it and run it along with foobar2000?

My winamp is opened all day with some 20k music files in it and while playing you can see it's running at 0% resources (see attached), and this is with a 5.x cPro2 skin and playing music. This is even on v5.63, so I would guess the newest version runs better. Though it does depend a lot on your system as DrO pointed out. Plus you can rate items directly from the skin itself, but right clicking isn't that bad.

Can't say anything about resetting play counts only because I focus on ratings and smart view playlists.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	51272  
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 13:34   #433
DrO

Quote:
I am giving a screenshot of my foobar2000, as you can see the resources taken are a 0,1 % so you can imagine what I mean, this player play a song and is literally as if it was not there... basically don't take any resource at all.
first thing, the two programs are completely different implementations and so comparing one to the other for resource usage is like comparing apples and pears. yes some things are comparable (they're both fruit for example) but then have completely different implementations.

if your Winamp install was running at 20% on exactly the same hardware at the time then something was not right with your Winamp setup as that level of usage is not right if just playing (though the skin being used can have an effect - with modern skins using more resources just by their very nature).

Quote:
I think that perhaps the resources problem of the winamp player are the skins, perhaps you should allow winamp enter in a robust mode, in which you get a player with a skin that don't take resources, but I don't know the source code of winamp so I don't know why the resources problem is there...
what you're describing is 'classic' skins. modern skins are like little programs of their own and due to them trying to do more, they need to have more resources and in some cases either due to bugs in Winamp's side of things or in the skin itself, memory and CPU usage can be higher than it should be. with a classic skin (so what came with v2.x), it is using only a specific set of images and all interaction is purely controlled which makes for a more simpler and less resource heavy solution.

without knowing what you had been using, it's hard to know if it would have been a Winamp bug, a skin bug or even from a 3rd party plug-in (as that's now where most of the Winamp issues arise after a lot of the work done from v5.64-5.66x to resolve crash issues in the native Winamp code - and what comes out as a new version should be a bit better again after the extra work i've been putting in to finish off what had been started with v5.64 and newer).

Quote:
When you go to Local Media in winamp, to the right side, you have the album's... well below you have the tracks of that album...
What I mean is to reset the times played of a certain song, and put that value to zero, because sometimes I listen a song but that is only a preview and I really don't want to see that song was played before, because if I see that, perhaps I don't want to listen it anymore... perhaps I was only listening a preview of it... so reseting the times played of a certain track it's very important, I can do that easily in foobar2000 with a plugin called fooplaycount
your mixing up of terminology means i was thinking of something completely different to what you're asking for. so it's the 'last played' and also the 'play count' your wanting to be able to reset. and i assume you just mean for the local library? as having that linked to the history view could be a pain (but would probably have to be done if this was considered).

as per musicf8's post, i would say it's best you install the current Winamp release + plug-in patches and see how it compares to what you were previously seeing as a lot of long standing stability / performance issues were fixed since the 2-3 years that you stopped using Winamp (and without knowing what version you were using at the time, you may be looking at 4-5 years or more of fixes i'd suspect).
Old 10th July 2014, 18:08   #434
martronic

does that mean i can't get my winamp pro now?
martronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 18:09   #435
DrO

Winamp Pro is not a currently available product.
Old 10th July 2014, 20:58   #436
llandyw

Send a message via AIM to llandyw Send a message via Yahoo to llandyw
I have to presume that since there has been no updates to winamp or to this website in over 6 months that winamp is dead.

My question is, why purchase an application of you're not going to do anything with it.
To me, that makes no sense.

I even had to revert to 5.63 due to the latest version crashing out when I exit it.
I have been using WinAmp since the 1.x days, and it's very disappointing to see it just fade out like it's done here.

I never cared for Gracenote. I use MusicBrainz Picard for autotagging, then edit tags from there using MP3 Manager 32. Most of the time Picard recognizes the music correctly, but if you question if it got it right, you can skip any particular song.

I have had songs where they either had no name, or the name was wrong and it got it right by sampling the song itself.

Andy
llandyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 21:15   #437
DrO

Winamp is not DEAD! geez.

it has been clearly stated it's going to take some time (i.e. months) to get a non-AOL version released with end of the year/early next year before we're going to be in a position to have a working Winamp release (all of which has been covered in this thread and the Gracenote one).

no there isn't a new site or whatever else it is that people keep miraculously expecting as we've been working (and still working) to get SHOUTcast in shape with Winamp following once all of the legal / licensing crap is sorted out. we cannot just miraculously pull a new version out of thin air when certain core parts (e.g. MP3 playback) are not correctly licensed and until such matters are sorted out, there will not be a new update (and is why we're working on what we can whilst trying to sort out that crap).

you refer to v5.63 - it was a year between the v5.63 and v5.64 releases. currently we're only 6 months since the last v5.666 build 3516 release. so how a shorter period of time since the last release compared to a prior long delay between releases instantly makes things dead is beyond me.

and if you've been having issues with v5.666, why not report it? as i see nothing in your posting history. had you applied the plug-in updates and used build 3516 ? had you tried any of the steps in the bug reports forum for trying to track down Winamp issues e.g. running in Winamp's safe mode ?

and finally, it's Winamp, not WinAmp or any other weird capitalisation. WinAmp is a long since dead version of the name from over 11 years ago!
Old 10th July 2014, 21:41   #438
Aminifu
Forum King

llandyw,

It is sad that a long time user like yourself won't read (or follow) the sticky posts on how to report a problem and won't browse the other relevant posts on what has been happening since the last minute sale (which prevented a smooth transition).

If you provide the requested info about your configuration, your problem with the current version could probably be solved. Going back to an old version leaves you mostly on your own.

There is a lot of work being done (which is going to take some time) to replace the things that AOL was paying license fees for and finding other vendors for the online services that AOL was overpaying for. Plus there's fixing and improving things that AOL did not want to authorize or pay for. Even so, except for the online services provided by the vendors that are being replaced, the current version of Winamp is working quite well for most users. Winamp is alive and well and will be fully functional and better than ever in time.

Edit:
DrO is a lot quicker in deciding what he wants to say. His post was not there when I decided to respond.

Old 10th July 2014, 22:07   #439
llandyw

Send a message via AIM to llandyw Send a message via Yahoo to llandyw
Sorry about that, but these forums don't seem to be behaving for me.

As an example, coming in by the link on the Winamp site puts me in the Winamp discussions page, clicking on the Winamp link (up one level) doesn't even show a link for the Winamp news. It appears this forum is somewhat more complicated in it's layout than others I have used.

As for capitalizing the A, that shows how long I have been using it, it was just habit.

I'd tried the report bug that showed up in .666, but it didn't appear to work.

I did finally find the bug report thread. Had to click the link to go up a level, then click again to get the more complete list, otherwise it was a pretty short list.

Andy
llandyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 18:50   #440
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by llandyw View Post
Sorry about that, but these forums don't seem to be behaving for me.
The forum's layout has not changed since you last posted in February, 2013. Why not just make a bookmark in your browser for the main index page (link below).

http://forums.winamp.com/index.php

The "One for Nunz" configuration reporter has been replaced by the "Winamp Info Tool" (link below).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion