Old 20th March 2012, 16:28   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

Winamp Birthday Celebration?

Hi All,

User Batter Pudding mentioned in a recent post that according to Wikipedia, April 21 will mark Winamp's 15th birthday. INCREDIBLE !!!

It's rare that a software program that offers almost all of it's features for FREE can remain relevant and active for so long. It has adapted to 6 Windows operating systems and many more generations of computer hardware. It's in the process of adapting to other operating systems and to mobile devices while still maintaining a PC desktop presence. It has attracted many past and present 3rd party developers who have donated their work to keep the good thing going. Some of the older versions and plug-ins still mostly work, incredible!

Batter Pudding suggested a mini-celebration would be in order. I disagree, I think a large celebration is in order!

For those who like/love Winamp, what to do, what to do?

Between now and April 21,

Please donate to those active developers whose work you use. Let's keep them in the fold and attract others. A spike in donations would be noticed and appreciated.

Those active with social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc) 'bang the drum' for Winamp and post links to Winamp.com where possible.

What else can we do? Suggestions?

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 20th March 2012, 20:34   #2
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

They don't need donations. They are owned and funded by AOL.

No reason to give those big companies more than they deserve.
Old 21st March 2012, 04:13   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrose-Wally View Post
They don't need donations. They are owned and funded by AOL.

No reason to give those big companies more than they deserve.
Are you saying the independent 3rd party developers are owned and funded by AOL? I don't believe that.

I did not suggest buying Winamp Pro (although that would be a good thing also). This is America. What's wrong with making money?

However, I do agree with your signature.

Old 21st March 2012, 05:36   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i hope the devs do something major on the website to mark the big event, and maybe even put out a new release????

i might even buy the pro version, although i basically have no need of it. or actually, buy the pro droid version, since i could use that.

winamp is by far, my fave app for music, and i've tried just about every single one of them at some point.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 21st March 2012, 05:59   #5
Raj_09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i hope the devs do something major on the website to mark the big event, and maybe even put out a new release????

i might even buy the pro version, although i basically have no need of it. or actually, buy the pro droid version, since i could use that.

winamp is by far, my fave app for music, and i've tried just about every single one of them at some point.
I agree with MrSinatra and may consider buying the pro version. I have used Winamp for more than 10 years now and it has been my favorite audio player since.

There are some plugins which I am still using on my new Windows 7 system and which still work thanks to the work of such devs as DrO (am referring to enhancer ). The huge community of enthusiasts and developers is one of the best things about Winamp as well as the high quality of the sofware.

Like many others, I also use Videolan and Mediaplayerclassic for my video needs but nothing beats Winamp for all round audio and video.
Old 24th March 2012, 14:47   #6
Deleteyrself

15 years! wooow! this means I have been using winamp for 15 years!

thank you Winamp TM =)
Old 28th March 2012, 17:21   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

A Pro licence is only $20. What else have you bought that has lasted 15 years, with constant updates, for only $20? Especially something IT related.

Go on. Be a devil. Bung 'em the cash for the licence.
Old 30th March 2012, 19:39   #8
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Indeed it's a great accomplishment to survive 15 years and still be free. Congratulations to all involved, both past and present. The only thing keeping me from popping open a bottle of champagne to celebrate this monumental achievement is a real lack of development for MACs. The same type of development we've seen with Winamp for PCs. So putting that aside, with a frosty ice cold beer raised to toast, here's to Nullsoft Winamp.
Old 31st March 2012, 22:59   #9
Minecraftplayer

Well to celebrate Winamps Birthsday is a good idea! I was working on a Winamp 1.9x Remake Skin,and a Winamp 1.0 Remake Skin including Playlist EQ General Window! We could Celebrate Winamps Birthsday with that Skin! What do you think?
It would remember back the Old Winamp Times!!

Last edited by Minecraftplayer; 31st March 2012 at 23:02. Reason: Forgot something ^^'
Old 26th April 2012, 07:35   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

The big day came and went. Nothing mentioned on the main site or anywhere else far as I could tell. Over a thousand views here and only 7 posts!

Oh well, too bad.

Moderator, mark this one closed.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion