Old 4th July 2003, 18:27   #1
tjb2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to tjb2004
Record/playback help.

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to record and playback at the same time? I have Cool Edit Pro v2 but I cannot figure out if it will let me do that. Any help is appreciated.
tjb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 01:26   #2
ujay
Forum King

Not exactly clear what you want here tjb.
Presumably you want to record from one source while you playback another. If so then yes. You will need a full duplex card (most modern ones are). I would have thought you can do this in Edit Pro, Basically you will need to set up to record from the soundcard, set your Input mixer accordingly and then mute that channel in the Output mixer. You should then be able to playback through one of the other channels (usually called wave) without interferring with the recording channel.

UJ

Last edited by ujay; 5th July 2003 at 02:35.
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 17:56   #3
tjb2004
Major Dude

Sorry about not being clear. What I am trying to do is be able to hear music and be able to record along while it is playing. I want it so that the two or more tracks will all be synked together. I am able to record and play back at the same time but I want to get them lined up together exactly (in like the same file). This is why I think Cool Edit is able to do this because it has the multiple track screen. I just cannot figure it out. Any help appreciated.
Old 6th July 2003, 00:56   #4
ujay
Forum King

Sorry to say I'm not familiar with Cool Edit at all, so can't help much on the controls.
Is the situation this - you have a backing track and want to overlay some vocals or hot guitar licks over the top of it, but have then ended up with two tracks that have different lead-in times. In Wavelab it's simply a case of picking up one track and sliding it to a position relative to the other where you are happy with the sync. I'm sure Cool Edit must have this facility, but if not you could try cutting off part of one of the lead-ins and bring them into sync that way.

You could also do a rolling mix by playing the backing track and instead of recording the live input to give a second track, just record the output to give one ready mixed track, this can then become your backing track and you can repeat the process to add other voices etc. You wouldn't have the sync problem, but it would be a devil to get the balance right like that.

Suggest you make up a few test tracks and play around, it's the best way of learning what needs to be done. Do you have a manual, FAQ, Google

Good luck

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 18:09   #5
tjb2004
Major Dude

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out. Maybe I'll try this Wavelab out too.
Old 8th July 2003, 02:13   #6
tjb2004
Major Dude

I got it working with WaveLab, thanks for your help ujay.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama