Old 7th May 2008, 22:14   #1
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Gmail + Outlook

I'm looking to integrate my webmail with outlook or something of the sort but with some advanced features.

I'm not sure if this could be accomplished or not.

I have my main domain email which is web based and then i have all that mail forwarded to a dummy mail attendent account that PopPeeper uses to display I have new mail.

I want to be able to get my mail through a desktop client of some sort but, If I delete it, I want it to delete server side, if I archive it, it'll disappear client side and then archive it server side (not sure if that ones possible) but if I reply to it, I want to reply from my tucker@domainmail.com and not the mail attendent account.

Is any of this making sense?
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 22:26   #2
mikm
Major Dude

Re: Gmail + Outlook

Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
I want to be able to get my mail through a desktop client of some sort but, If I delete it, I want it to delete server side
That's generally the idea of IMAP.

Gmail has IMAP support, but I remember it being slow and somewhat buggy.

I don't understand the purpose of the dummy email account. Why not just use PopPeeper to check the main account?

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 22:27   #3
tuckerm
Forum Emo

I'm soo used to Outlook now and I didn't like Thunderbird a long time ago, what would be your recommendation on a client?
Old 7th May 2008, 22:28   #4
mikm
Major Dude

Uh, Outlook has IMAP support.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 7th May 2008, 22:29   #5
tuckerm
Forum Emo

I know it has IMAP support, i'm just wondering if there is a better client to use than outlook.
Old 7th May 2008, 22:36   #6
mikm
Major Dude

I mostly just use Gmail's webinterface. For my university email, Thunderbird works well for me. Maybe you could try using Google or, heaven forbid, searching the forums.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 7th May 2008, 22:47   #7
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Claws Mail

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 06:00   #8
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
I use Thunderbird only because I can minimize it to the system tray, and because it has popups when I get new mail.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 11:42   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
I use Thunderbird only because I can minimize it to the system tray, and because it has popups when I get new mail.

claws does both of the above and has the added benefit of not eating resources

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 8th May 2008, 15:04   #10
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Does it work on windows though, or just a port?
Old 8th May 2008, 15:12   #11
AE4713

Send a message via AIM to AE4713 Send a message via Yahoo to AE4713
Quote:
Outlook does this as well.
AE4713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 21:56   #12
mikm
Major Dude

Gotta pay for Outlook. Plus, it's proprietary.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 8th May 2008, 23:15   #13
zootm
Forum King

Outlook is a whole lot easier to use than Thunderbird, and works a lot better than an Exchange server. In organisations the gains from using it probably outweigh the cost, especially when it comes with Office, which is hands-down the best office suite around.

Outlook (and other elements of Office) are the reason I have a second workstation at work. I do most of my work in Linux but I use Outlook on the Windows machine for calendaring, and if I really needed to draw a diagram I'd be tempted to once again go to Office.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 00:29   #14
dlichterman
Forum King

Just use outlook with IMAP. I do that on my cell

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 01:10   #15
Vil

Am I reading this thread right? Shit, I think I need to go gouge my eyes out, castrate myself, then walk across the country to tucker's house and eat him alive.

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 02:31   #16
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

i lawled
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 02:35   #17
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
Am I reading this thread right? Shit, I think I need to go gouge my eyes out, castrate myself, then walk across the country to tucker's house and eat him alive.
If you have nothing to add to my threads, then stay the hell out of them. I'm sick of this whole write something witty that doesn't really help me out.

No I didn't search, why? Because I want this forum's user's opinions on mail software that will work with Gmail. It's called conversation and I kind of like to see what people like about this and don't like about that on this particular forum.

I'm not some dumbass new guy that doesn't know how to search so stop treating me as one.

As for the thread, I think i'm going to try Claws mail later and see how it works. It looks a bit lighter than Outlook. Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
I don't understand the purpose of the dummy email account. Why not just use PopPeeper to check the main account?
I missed this, The dummy account has to be inplace because PopPeeper won't work with my domain email account--even though it's hosted with google.
Old 9th May 2008, 03:03   #18
mikm
Major Dude

Really? POP Peeper claims to support Gmail (or POP/IMAP at the very least, which Google's domain mail seems to provide).

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 9th May 2008, 03:10   #19
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by tuckerm
WHINE COMPLAIN COMPLAIN WHINE

present day present time
Old 9th May 2008, 03:13   #20
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
Really? POP Peeper claims to support Gmail (or POP/IMAP at the very least, which Google's domain mail seems to provide).
I actually havn't tried it with IMAP or POP, but just the regular Gmail part which didn't work. But, if I get Claws to work with IMAP (no real reason why it wouldn't work) it would elimante PopPeeper anyway. I'll install it later tonight.

Another reason I use my dummy mail account is it also forwards certain messages to my cell phone (Eg: Forum Notifcations, Certain Emails from certain people, etc)

I'll post back later tonight once I get Claws set up.
Old 9th May 2008, 04:07   #21
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Does it work on windows though, or just a port?
Well, it's not cross platform if that's what you're asking. It's not written entirely in ANSI C or anything.

However, there is a Windows port, yes.

Old 9th May 2008, 13:29   #22
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Claws mail for windows doesn't have IMAP support or at least, it's not build in. So I think i'm back to Outlook.
Old 9th May 2008, 13:34   #23
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Too bad. It's the best client I've ever tried on Linux.

Old 9th May 2008, 23:12   #24
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Yeah, it actually looked promising
Old 11th May 2008, 01:20   #25
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I use Hotmail with Outlook. I know it doesn't help that it has nothing to do with gmail, but it works for me since Outlook handles just about everything I do at work (including my state-issue teacher email) as well as home stuff. Outlook reminds me of all my to-do's all the birthdays, anniversaries, etc., and has a picture/contact profile for everyone I know. Just a couple clicks can set up a meeting with many people. One click calls someone on the phone or faxes them. I don't know how I ever lived without it before I started using it.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 01:31   #26
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Ted have you tried this program yet with Outlook? I havn't but I've heard some great things: http://www.xobni.com/
Old 11th May 2008, 01:45   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I downloaded it - I'll give it a try. It looks kinda like Winamp's ML search - starts searching an index as soon as you start typing.

Thanks for the suggestion - it looks promising.

edit - after viewing the product video, I see that it can do a hell of a lot more. This is going to make me much more of an Outlook junkie.

Old 16th May 2008, 15:28   #28
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
... especially when it comes with Office, which is hands-down the best office suite around.
No kidding. Office 2007 is a fantastic piece of software.

Word, for instance, actually makes nice-looking documents by default. Which is pretty amazing.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 18:03   #29
djd3xx

outlook isn't free.
djd3xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 20:07   #30
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
No kidding. Office 2007 is a fantastic piece of software.

Word, for instance, actually makes nice-looking documents by default. Which is pretty amazing.
GTFO out with that Word shit. TeX all the way.

present day present time
Old 16th May 2008, 20:27   #31
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

TeX: For people who like to have sex with lawnmowers, very very well formated lawnmowers.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 20:36   #32
Vil

I come from the World. Cities, people, perverts
To this place
Home Depot
My foremat: Vil
To seks and molest
To molest my new lawnmower
Its exhaust
And intake
To molest it
And
Its friends

present day present time
Old 16th May 2008, 21:57   #33
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
GTFO out with that Word shit. TeX all the way.
Screw TeX man. You should use Minesweeper.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 22:36   #34
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Quote:
Originally posted by djd3xx
outlook isn't free.
No Shit, Sherlock.
Old 17th May 2008, 05:53   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Once you realize how incredibly powerful Outlook can be, and furthermore, once you realize how powerful Outlook can make YOU, you will very easily part with the money it takes to have it. I am usually one to find a long list of flaws in almost everything that is brought before me, but honestly, this software is invaluable.

Old 17th May 2008, 06:04   #36
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

This sounds asshole-ish, but it is a 100% honest question:

What can Outlook do that Thunderbird can't?
What can it do that makes it so powerful? I thought it just checked e-mail.
What about the free version that comes with XP?

Again, those are serious questions. I used to think excel was just an expensive way to make tables and do quick sums until I really started to play with it and discovered its true powers. Now I have a really exceptional (if I say so myself) knowledge of its commands and wield it like a surgeons scalpel to keep track of expenses, do homework, etc.
Old 17th May 2008, 06:33   #37
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quick answer - remember we're talking about Outlook here and not Outlook Express.

Longer, but not long enough answer - The answer to your question can be answered by 2-inch thick books not only from Microsoft, but from many third party publications (silly example - "outlook for dummies"). The best way to answer your question is to just do what you did on Excel. The more you play with it the more you discover that it can do.

Personally, I have found it to very quickly and reliably store all contact information I have ever received, complete with picture profiles, logs of all communication I have ever had with those people - net meetings, email, phone calls I have initiated with outlook's one-click calling feature, and just about anything else you could think of. It gives me in-advance reminders for birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and other recurring and one-time calandar events.

Outlook has amazing ties and intercompatibility features with Access databases, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, and Word. For a basic example, if I have to send a mailing to a large number of people, I can make the master copy envelope and letter in Publisher/Word, then tell it which contacts to insert into the name and address fields, both on the letters and the envelopes. I click print and suddenly all my copies have individualized contact info printed with the form letter and envelopes.

Email is just a very miniscule part of Outlook.

With the plug-in that tuckerm just suggested, the program becomes infinately more powerful and fast. I could go on and on as to why I love this program, but it's better just to find it and play with it until you realize for yourself what a great tool it is.

Old 17th May 2008, 14:42   #38
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Interesting. I just recently got into Access + Word (mail merge) for mass mailing thank you notes to clients of mine. I think OE came with my student package of Office 2k7, I'll check and maybe start playing with it.
Old 17th May 2008, 14:51   #39
tuckerm
Forum Emo

Another reason is most places use exchange for their email and nothing handles it better than Outlook. It just plain works.
Old 18th May 2008, 08:54   #40
JonkyB

While we're talking about Outlook, does anyone know of a (free) way to synchronize my Outlook 2003 calendar, contacts, and tasks between two different computers? I have a desktop at home, and a laptop at work, and I'd like to be able to see the changes I make on either one at the other computer automatically. I also use the same IMAP account on both computers. Googling gave me results that either cost money, or required using an external USB drive to cart around a file. What I'm looking for is some way to automatically email myself the calendar file and then automatically integrate the file at the other end, and back and forth between the two computers.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions