Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 23rd January 2010, 01:11   #1
Kn0tte
Major Dude

[Bento/Big Bento] Skin-fixes for the main window (fixed)

Hey there. First; this is mainly for the devs but I wont mind seeing other people reply too.

DJ Egg / Martin (creator of Bento); I've tried to use Bento on one of my computers a little and there are some things that I dont like which looks weird/out of place. Some things in the skin that look weird. I'm talking about stuff in the main window of Bento / Big Bento. The first thing was in Small Bento - that the Beat Viz has so much space on the bottom so its much "higher up" than the other things. That doesn't look good, it looks out of place. That issue + other small space issues, in both Bento and Big Bento, I have fixed and uploaded for you. I "Kn0tte'd the problem"..

Small Bento:
Pic before/after: http://meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1292798...estion-Fix.png - see how much better it looks with the fix (pic on the right).
Download fix: http://stashbox.org/774349/Small_Bento.rar
(unzip and put the file into /xml, as you know).

As you can see I have fixed the issue with the Beat Viz being so "high up" compared to the other stuff, for example the Spectrum Analyzer. I adjusted both things, ie. Beat Viz slightly down and Spectrum Analyzer slightly up (dont worry, it does NOT overlap with the timer mirror - it fits exactly ok) (and dont worry, I moved the analyzer mirror UP too). I also adjusted some other things slightly to make the space even/the same on almost all places (dont worry, I know about the fact that the Spectrum Analyzer needs to be centered in "normal" not dragged-mode - same for Big Bento as well).

Big Bento:
Pic before/after: http://meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1292798...estion-Fix.png
Download fix: http://stashbox.org/774350/Big_Bento.rar
(unzip and put the file into /xml, as you know).

Same fix as for Small Bento, although its a very minor change here (there was only a 1px difference between the height of the Beat Viz vs Spectrum Analyzer before). Other changes are to make spaces etc more even/the same, especially for the timer vs songticker. I dunno if it was intended or not for the timer to be lower than the songticker before (to be centered with the songticker AND info-stuff), but that didn't look good when the title scrolled. Therefore I put it at the same height, looks much better.

Can you try the fixes and tell me what you think about it? If you think it looks ok, maybe you can (hopefully) implement the fixes for the next version of Winamp? Remember to NOT mess up the files, ie. make sure to put the fix for Big Bento in Big Bento xml and not the other way (in Small Bento) and vice versa, that will mess up things you know :P).

Thanks in advance
/Kn0tte.
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 02:40   #2
osmosis
Major Dude

Not even.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:38   #3
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by osmosis
Not even.
Heh, laughing at my engligh, aye?

I just wrote it a bit fast to post it before I went to bed last night, after all this is not english class..
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:52   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Not bad, dude. I'll check it out more intensice in the evening.

Maybe you'll find a way, which allows closing/re-ordering of tabs in Bento as well, hehe.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:00   #5
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopa
Not bad, dude. I'll check it out more intensice in the evening.

Maybe you'll find a way, which allows closing/re-ordering of tabs in Bento as well, hehe.
Thanks!
Mm, maybe. Dont count on it though, its very unlikely to be done by me..

And a question for you which is NOT related to this fix:
In the info panel window in Bento, is there a reason why we cant mark and copy n' paste the song title/artist? I listen to internet radio a lot and I often put the names of good songs in a text-file for which I can see and download the songs later. Currently I have to double-click the songticker to see the file info and copy n' paste. That works fine but it would be easier if I could just mark the title (+ that which says "Title", "Artist" etc) in the info panel window and copy it.

Last edited by Kn0tte; 23rd January 2010 at 16:22.
Old 23rd January 2010, 19:18   #6
osmosis
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Kn0tte
Heh, laughing at my engligh, aye?
Sorry, I was thinking of it in the sense of the exclamation "Not EVEN!" and it amused me.

I like the changes you made, maybe martin will use them in the next version?
Old 26th January 2010, 01:06   #7
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
hey, i like your work.
cannot promise anything right now, but will ask to get this in for 5.58

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
martin.deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 16:32   #8
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by martin.deimos
hey, i like your work.
cannot promise anything right now, but will ask to get this in for 5.58
Thanks m8, its good to hear that you like it!
Old 11th March 2010, 21:51   #9
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
stuff will get included after the weekend
but may i ask why you've used floating point values like 40.9, ... for placing the stuff?

Old 12th March 2010, 18:40   #10
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by martin.deimos
but may i ask why you've used floating point values like 40.9, ... for placing the stuff?
Thanks!

Hmn, meh... perfection? I didn't get it perfect otherwise, and believe me, I tried A LOT of different values..

Btw, those values work, right? Since I made the changes I've been worried such values as 40.9 is just like 40 or 40.5, ie. no point in using such values (I tried a lot though and came to the conclusion that it worked)..
Old 26th July 2010, 18:27   #11
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.deimos View Post
Okay, its almost the end of July and I see that Winamp v5.58 + 5.581 has been released. I can't say I can see my Bento skin fixes implemented (from this thread).

Where did my fixes go?
Old 26th July 2010, 18:53   #12
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

hu? i thought i've added them?!?

lemme dig this...

Old 28th July 2010, 20:09   #13
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Heh, ok

And what have you found out now? Where did my fixes go?
Old 12th September 2010, 17:12   #14
Kn0tte
Major Dude

So Martin, have you found out anything?

Sorry for asking if you don't like it, I just wanna know what happened. You said you liked my fixes so, and in fact it was just fine-tuning so things where at the same height etc.

Thanks in advance.
/Kn0tte
Old 9th December 2010, 00:23   #15
Kn0tte
Major Dude

What happened to this? Martin?

Even though its been a while since my last post here, sorry for asking so much about it. You said this would get included with 5.58 but it wasn't and still isn't. I hope it will be soon though, the main window looks much nicer with these fixes imo. I mean, its not nice when we can clearly see the "timer" being a lot lower than the songticker for example, and thats very easy to see as the songticker scrolls by the timer..

Thanks in advance!

And oh, thanks for Winamp v5.601 btw! Its a sexy fast baby, as always..
Old 19th December 2010, 22:28   #16
osmosis
Major Dude

I feel your pain, Kn0tte. As I understand it, Martin's pretty busy with school. So hopefully when he finds some time he can make sure your fixes make it into the next release.
Old 30th January 2011, 17:32   #17
Kn0tte
Major Dude

And the days goes by...

Where's the good ol' Winamp spirit? Where are the devs, or shall I say "community managers"? You guys used to answer all threads before, you used to look into bugs rapidly (all bugs), you used to be happy, you had the Winamp spirit in you. You used to update the "known bugs" thread rapidly and we could see those little red stars and just smile..

Whats happening? Its 2011 now and Winamp is still the best player out there. Its stronger and more powerful than ever! With that in mind, you guys here on the forum should be stronger and happier than ever too. The forum should be alive, not half-dead..

Devs or Martin Deimos, what happened to my fixes here? Any chance of seeing them implemented? I'm still hoping for that, imo Bento looks so much better with this as all the "things" in the main window is on the SAME HEIGHT. The timer and songticker (which is right beside each other) not being on the same height just.. it looks out of place!

Thanks in advance, hoping for anwers.
/Kn0tte

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
I feel your pain, Kn0tte. As I understand it, Martin's pretty busy with school. So hopefully when he finds some time he can make sure your fixes make it into the next release.
M'kai..

But I'm worried that this is a forgotten thing for him now.. no reply in several months, soon a half year..
Old 30th January 2011, 21:31   #18
osmosis
Major Dude

Well, I agree with you on the forums having passed their hay day.. things are tragically half dead. If you go to the Nullsoft team page you see that the majority are random Indian people. And I mean no offense here, I'm sure they're all awesome people/coders, etc., but you wouldn't know they existed judging by the forums here..

For a good example of forum interaction, uTorrent is the first and probably greatest to come to my mind. Firon and the mod team handle a lot of day-to-day there, and the community remains very lively. Constant communication between the developers, the mods, and the community regarding where the client is going, features, testing, etc.

Anyway, if you really want to bug martin you could fire him off a PM.. or start nagging him over at skin consortium, but that might Kn0tte be the best direction to go here heheheh.
Old 30th January 2011, 22:13   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
wow, excellent attention to detail, nice fixes. they should DEF use them.

can i suggest a change you might be able to do?

on the ML, bottom right corner, is a small button under the "show info" button, (assuming the playlist window is collapsed). this tiny button (that hides/shows the ML) wastes a good centimeter of horizontal space. maxing out the space is something i am really into, and necessary for laptop users. put that button to the direct right (or left) of the "show info" button. its true that when you click "show info" that would move the tiny buton up with it, but so what? show info sucks anyway, and even if people use it, they'll still understand what the tiny button does.

in addition, and this might be a lot harder, the rightside horizontal space where the tabs are is totally wasted, as is the giant search box and display buttons underneath. i'd suggest first of all adding a tab that connects to the winamp wiki, and then use the rest of the space to the direct right of the tabs for the search box and put the display buttons on the right of the "Clear Search" box, which would free up at least a centimeter of space where that stuff is, and make it a lot easier to explain to folks over the phone what things to click, b/c it will be easier to explain where they are. color coding the buttons wouldn't hurt either.

thoughts?

btw, i love Egg, but i do wish there was more active dialogue here between the users and all the devs.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 22:36   #20
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
this might be a lot harder ... then use the rest of the space to the direct right of the tabs for the search box and put the display buttons on the right of the "Clear Search" box, which would free up at least a centimeter of space where that stuff is
since that's all done the ml plug-in, i doubt that'd be feasible, plus what happens when using a view without that part in it. i can understand the desire to increase screen space but i don't see that being feasible to implement especially as it introduces more complexity with modern skin vs classic skin handling.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 22:50   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

i am def in over my head, (i thought skins let you put things where you wanted them, but obviously i'm ignorant on how its actually done) but instead of pessimism about my proposed solution, lets look at the problem.

if we all agree that the things i mentioned are problematic, and that reclaiming wasted space is worthy, lets propose workable ideas that would reclaim this space. it really is an awful waste the way it is now.

--
Old 30th January 2011, 22:56   #22
DrO

skins only allow certain things to be moved but in the case of the ml it's just the plug-in window being hosted in a skin frame be that an outer window or being embedded in a SUI container (like Bento does).

as for the space usage, nothing stopping someone making a patched Bento skin or as would probably be the better option (if not already done), a new skin which is designed from the start for better space usage (within what is allowed and what the plug-ins can be made to do).

-daz
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:10   #23
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
wow, excellent attention to detail, nice fixes. they should DEF use them.

can i suggest a change you might be able to do?

btw, i love Egg, but i do wish there was more active dialogue here between the users and all the devs.
Heh, thanks m8!
I've PM'd Martin and he said he will work on getting it added for the next release..

As for the other things; well, I don't think I wanna touch that (don't wanna break anything, nor do I know how to 100% solve the problems). I'll leave that for the devs so talk to them if you want that fixed, but it seems harder to do than its worth according to DrO here..

Yeah, the devs needs to be more active yes. They used to be very active though, dunno what happened..
Old 18th March 2011, 07:30   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

did this make it in to 5.61 ?

--
Old 18th March 2011, 08:37   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
did this make it in to 5.61 ?
I'm not rightly sure. Only if Martin committed it.
Bento is Martin's baby, so it would be up to him to approve and commit any changes.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 08:42   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

and Martins handle is? is he in this thread?

--
Old 18th March 2011, 10:13   #27
DrO

Quote:
and Martins handle is?
martin.deimos and i don't believe it ever made it in.

and as he said he was going to do it, i never sorted out committing the changes for 5.61

[edit]
sod it, if martin said it was ok then i'm just going to commit the changed files later today as this thread has been going on for too long and i'm tired of kn0tte's post bumps.

-daz
Old 18th March 2011, 19:17   #28
MrSinatra
Forum King

every once in a while DrO, your exasperation brings a smile to my face! (in a good way, i assure you!)

i also thank you for your fine volunteer efforts!

--
Old 18th March 2011, 20:29   #29
osmosis
Major Dude

haha
DrO is the king.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:33   #30
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
martin.deimos and i don't believe it ever made it in.

and as he said he was going to do it, i never sorted out committing the changes for 5.61

[edit]
sod it, if martin said it was ok then i'm just going to commit the changed files later today as this thread has been going on for too long and i'm tired of kn0tte's post bumps.

-daz
Hehe..

I sent Martin a PM after my last post here and he said he would do it.

Seems like you made it go in now with the revised 5.61 at least, THANK YOU!
Old 25th March 2011, 18:58   #31
DrO

had intended it for the next proper release but it's done now so no need to wait for another year+ for it to be sorted out. wouldn't expect any changes on the other skin issues you've reported tho.

-daz
Old 26th March 2011, 01:30   #32
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
had intended it for the next proper release but it's done now so no need to wait for another year+ for it to be sorted out. wouldn't expect any changes on the other skin issues you've reported tho.

-daz
Ok.
Other skin issues?

Can't remember other bugs reported by myself except this one only;
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=304101
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion