Old 3rd October 2012, 09:05   #441
schulze

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue View Post
try increasing your buffer length (800, 1000) until it plays, stopping it, and setting it to automatic (0). it happened to me a bunch of times and i'm pretty sure that's what i did to remedy it.
hey big_blue, thanks for your answer.
you are absolutely right, although it's quite odd...
i have to reset this every time i restart winamp, is it the same for you?
just left it at 800ms for now or isn't this recommended?
schulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:30   #442
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi schulze,

The automatic buffer sizing usually works, but it is alright to set a buffer size manually.
What file formats are you playing? Are you using the official Nullsoft decoders? Are you using any 3rd party plug-ins?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 10:47   #443
schulze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi schulze,

The automatic buffer sizing usually works, but it is alright to set a buffer size manually.
What file formats are you playing? Are you using the official Nullsoft decoders? Are you using any 3rd party plug-ins?
hey Aminifu,

i never had any issues with the automatic buffer size in shared mode before and btw it's working as intended in exclusive mode. seems like a bug in the latest 0.54 builds.
i'm leaving it on 800 until a new version is released.
my winamp is quite stripped down. i'm playing mostly flacs and mp3s using the nullsoft decoders and maiko as output plugin. nothing fancy here.

best regards
Old 4th October 2012, 12:58   #444
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulze View Post
hey Aminifu,

i never had any issues with the automatic buffer size in shared mode before and btw it's working as intended in exclusive mode. seems like a bug in the latest 0.54 builds.
Curious, I've never had this problem you and big_blue are having with shared mode and buffer sizing. Do you also have a 5.1 (Surround) speaker setup like big_blue or a 5.1 (DVD or dolby) setup like me?

While I understand you believe it's a bug in Maiko (and it may be), providing your hardware and software configuration details will help SilverBird775 sort things out.

The only problems I'm having with the last two test versions of v.0.53 are the cosmetic dialog rendering errors on the balance tabs, in both versions, and on the mixer tab in the latest version. The location or size of the data entry boxes are incorrect with respect to the other elements on these tabs. Most of the ones on the balance tab are not even visible until I move the mouse pointer over the areas they are located in.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 4th October 2012, 15:22   #445
schulze

i just checked my settings and found something interesting.
first my system specs: win7 pro 64bit sp1, creative xfi fatality with latest drivers (old pci model, not pcie), 2.1 speaker setup, everything that processes the sound disabled in creative control center (eax, crystalizer).

here's the trick that worked for me:
in windows mixer "speaker properties / advanced" i changed from the default 24bit/48khz to my soundcards native(?) 24bit/96khz .
that's it! autobuffer is working flawlessly again. just doubled checked it. it's not working @ 48khz. surprisingly older maiko versions worked properly and i did not change anything else in between like drivers or settings.

maybe this helps SilverBird775 and people with the same problem.

greetings
Old 4th October 2012, 21:26   #446
SilverBird775

Well guys, sometimes the things needs to be tested properly before release. I knew it but keep sharing the latest anyway so it would not look like a never ending development. The resampler resources is stretched to the limit (not for a first time, there was the same problem before) and for some input-output sampling ratios the output default buffer size just unable to handle it.

96000hz is always safe because that is the primary mode i use everyday so it get tested more extensively. Unfortunately a blind assumption about the evenly stable behaviour across all possible regimes is not quite correct.

Perhaps something could be redone a bit. I have the inner itch about sub-optimal streaming and do not ready to regress the resampler yet.

Anyway, thanks a lot for using this teeny soft. You are really brave!
SilverBird775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 15:14   #447
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBird775 View Post
Well guys, sometimes the things needs to be tested properly before release. I knew it but keep sharing the latest anyway so it would not look like a never ending development. ...

Anyway, thanks a lot for using this teeny soft. You are really brave!
Oh no, Thank you!

Speaking for myself, the currently available features are working extremely well. Take your time with the fine tuning and additional features.

Old 5th October 2012, 15:51   #448
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulze View Post
in windows mixer "speaker properties / advanced" i changed from the default 24bit/48khz to my soundcards native(?) 24bit/96khz .
Yes, its a good idea to keep the Windows sound control, Maiko, and your sound card's control app set to the same bit depth and sampling rate. It prevents possible conflicts or additional resampling.

Some of your sound card's control app's other effects may work well with Maiko and some won't. I use my sound card's equalizer (with custom presets) instead of WA's. It seems to do a better job. I assume it's effects are applied after the Maiko processing (on the output) and WA's are applied before the Maiko processing (on the input). If I'm correct, this would help avoid distortion caused by the possible clipping of some boosted input frequencies.

Old 10th October 2012, 18:39   #449
mark007

Silver, one possible improvement for an upcoming version of this great plugin. When I select a sound device in the plugins settings, and after updating sound drivers, Winamp will crash because often audio driver updates must change the id of the audio device.

I had the same issue in the past in some other pieces of software like Reclock. The fix was to make sure the device exists on startup, if not, go back to "<Default Device>" and perhaps inform the user.
mark007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 14:31   #450
Stone Free

Is it possible to not dislay the icon in the tray when Maiko is not set as the output plugin (i.e it is not the one highlighted in blue)?
Stone Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 15:14   #451
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Free View Post
Is it possible to not dislay the icon in the tray when Maiko is not set as the output plugin (i.e it is not the one highlighted in blue)?
To keep the code size of the plug-in small, it seems that it does not currently check if it is the active output plug-in. I agree that it should do so and thus avoid potential conflicts. I have not had any conflicts, but it does worry me to see the icon when Maiko is not selected.

Old 14th October 2012, 19:07   #452
SilverBird775

The problem is, there is no way to know if the plugin is enabled (or activated, selected, highlighted, etcetera). All of output plugins are enabled, always. Not a single winamp clone exhibit such a questionable behavior, only winamp itself. There is a standard initialization and shutdown procedures unfortunately the winamp keeps every plugin online once started. It just takes the only single "open" procedure to start the actual playback. The plugin cannot rely on playback start\stop events obviously as it gives no information on actual user choice status.

I hope someday this winamp "feature" will be fixed.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:25   #453
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBird775 View Post
I hope someday this winamp "feature" will be fixed.
I agree.

Have the WA devs explained why all of the DSP and output plug-ins installed are loaded when WA starts? After all, none of the installed DSP plug-ins may be active and only 1 output plug-in is active at a time, unless a stacker is used. This design decision not only opens the door to potential conflicts, but wastes computer resources. Since the use of output stackers are discouraged (they were pulled from the WA website some time ago) and my visualization plug-in is only loaded if and when it is used, it is clearly possible for WA to only load the active DSP and output plug-ins.

I assume you know about another questionable 'feature' that the WA installer uses. It attempts to 'optimize' all plug-ins it detects by using something called "BindImageEx(..)" to re-map all of the virtual addresses in the plug-ins to improve their loading time. This process is known to have broken a few 3rd party plug-ins, that were built with a non-MSVC compiler, when WA is reinstalled or updated over an existing installation..

Old 24th October 2012, 05:04   #454
big_blue

The plugin has been working flawlessly since I've last posted, but all of a sudden, after making no changes to the system/plugin (nothing I can remember, at least), Winamp wont play songs. In shared or Exclusive modes. Playing one song results in the media being set to play, but it hangs at 0:00, until I stop it/play another song, at which point Winamp crashes immediately. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I mysteriously got a song playing once (there was no audio, though), but the problem came back and I don't know what I did to "fix" it.
big_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 05:05   #455
big_blue

I just discovered that when I manage to get a song playing, it will only be audible in exclusive mode with "slave to input channels" enabled. In other configs it still plays but I can't hear it.

EDIT: I believe I solved the original problem (songs not playing at all) by unchecking "finest samplerate converter quality. There's still the issue of not being able to use the Maiko mixer and balancer (all levels for balancer are set to the bottom) in exclusive mode. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by big_blue; 24th October 2012 at 06:52.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:24   #456
big_blue

Now it's giving me "Device in use" when I try to use Exclusive mode. Here we go again.
Old 24th October 2012, 18:24   #457
big_blue

Sorry for all the posts, I can't edit them anymore.

I'm not getting the error message when trying to set it to Exclusive anymore. My status log when playing music in Exclusive mode with the "Slave to input channels" box unchecked (no sound):

Input stream:
24 bit PCM encoding in 2.0 (Stereo) setup. 44100Hz rate
MAIKO buffer/latency: 7616 samples (172699 µs)

Output stream:
24 bit (32bit padded) PCM encoding in 5.1 (Surround) setup. 96000Hz rate
Client buffer: 32768 samples (341334 µs)
Client latency: 21334 µs
Mixer scheduling period (latency): 21334 µs
Minimum device period (latency): 3000 µs

Exclusive mode renderer
Data route: Maiko mixer

Plugin latency reported to Winamp: 195 ms
Peak output loudness detected: - db
-----------------------------------------

Log for Exclusive mode with box checked (music plays through input channels (2.0), not 5.1 setup)

Input stream:
24 bit PCM encoding in 2.0 (Stereo) setup. 44100Hz rate
MAIKO buffer/latency: 7616 samples (172699 µs)

Output stream:
24 bit (32bit padded) PCM encoding in 2.0 (Stereo) setup. 96000Hz rate
Client buffer: 32768 samples (341334 µs)
Client latency: 21334 µs
Mixer scheduling period (latency): 21334 µs
Minimum device period (latency): 3000 µs

Exclusive mode renderer
Data route: Maiko mixer

Plugin latency reported to Winamp: 195 ms
Peak output loudness detected: - db

-----------------------------------

To sum up my problem so far, I can only get actual sound out of my speakers when in exclusive mode with "Slave to input channels" checked. I want to be able to have it unchecked/be able to use shared mode. I'm using the nullsoft decoders and that Enhancer plugin, haven't changed anything else in my setup.
Old 25th October 2012, 01:21   #458
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

If you enable the "finest samplerate converter quality" option, the 1st song will take from 35 to 70 seconds to start playing.

Why does your status log show "24 bit PCM encoding" in the input stream? Do you have songs encoded like that or did you enabled any of the WA General Preferences - Playback - Audio options?

Which version of Maiko are you using?

Old 25th October 2012, 02:06   #459
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

Looking back, I see that you reported 24 bit PCM encoding in the input stream before, so that is probably not the problem. I just noticed that. My files (CD rips and downloads) all report 16 bit PCM encoding.

Anyway, have you checked your control app for your sound chip? Are all options disabled except for number of speakers (5.1 Surround), bit depth (24), and sample rate (96000)?

The Exclusive mode "Slave to input channels" option is working correctly. If the input is stereo (2 channels) the output will be stereo. If the input is multichannel, then the output will be multichannel. Upmixing (from reported input channels to reported output channels) will only happen when the "Slave to input channels" option is disabled.

Have you played a midi type file? The default WA options for midi files will reduce the playback volume level for other type files.

Old 25th October 2012, 04:14   #460
big_blue

Hey Aminifu,

Everything is fine in my sound chip's audio settings. I haven't added any external effects whatsoever in the control panel, and my settings match up with maiko's logs.

I know about the Slave to input channels option, but I want to have it mixed up to my settings. That's the issue, there's no apparent connection to my speakers when the music is playing, though it show that music is playing fine otherwise. Not sure where to look for the problem, here.

I also have not played a MIDI file as far as I can remember. Thanks for the response, I have NO idea how it just suddenly stopped working. I'd love to have it back in working order, though, it's a great little addition to a music lover's listening experience.
Old 25th October 2012, 04:26   #461
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Hey Aminifu,
I know about the Slave to input channels option, but I want to have it mixed up to my settings. That's the issue, there's no apparent connection to my speakers when the music is playing, though it show that music is playing fine otherwise. Not sure where to look for the problem, here.
Are you saying the spectrum analyzer is moving, but you don't hear anything? Have you checked the Maiko icon and the Windows volume control on the taskbar, is mute on or the volume lowered?

Old 25th October 2012, 05:18   #462
big_blue

You got it. The windows volume is up and I haven't used mute. What could be happening that would cause my music not to play when sent through Maiko's shared mode, or without the Slave to input option checked? Is the problem with Maiko?

EDIT: I've narrowed it down to the fact that something's having issues changing the source's input sample rates and channels and translating that over to my speakers. Possibly a conflict between Maiko and the Windows mixer (being that I can't use Shared mode). Any idea what might be conflicting?
Old 25th October 2012, 05:32   #463
big_blue

By setting my soundcard configuration to 2.0 stereo I essentially solved the problem, although I do want to have the use of my other speakers again. I'll keep playing around with it, but now I can uncheck that option, so I have something to go on.

EDIT: Perhaps it's simply an issue with maiko mixing the channels to 5.1? Could that be an issue with Maiko? I seem to be able to change the sample rate just fine.
Old 25th October 2012, 07:48   #464
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
EDIT: Perhaps it's simply an issue with maiko mixing the channels to 5.1? Could that be an issue with Maiko? I seem to be able to change the sample rate just fine.
I don't think so. It was working. Something changed (unrelated to Maiko, imo). You did not say if you changed versions or not. If you did, go back to the version that was working. The latest version does not display the matrix mixer tab correctly on my system.

Changing your speaker configuration got 2 channels working again. Maybe the Maiko configuration .bin files (in your user appdata Winamp folder) got corrupted somehow. You can shutdown WA, move the .bin files to somewhere for safe keeping, set your speaker configuration back to 5.1 surround, and let Maiko recreate the .bin files. This should return you to all the defaults, so you will have to make the Exclusive mode, Matrix mixer, and Balance adjustments again.

Old 25th October 2012, 17:44   #465
big_blue

That worked! I can't thank you enough, I'm just so glad it's back to normal.

Couple questions I need a little clarification on - For the center channel's settings in the mixer, is it ideal to set the left and right channels to full output? Or, say, half and half? Ex.

1. 1.
vs
.7071 .7071

Also, I 'upgraded' to the newest version of Maiko after the problems started, but the UI is even more wonky than before. I don't think I have the ability to set the delays anymore.

So yeah, confused on that one.

Also, what is the official working method of changing the balance sliders and keeping their settings? I swear I've tried everything (song stopped, song paused, closing window right after, etc.), and it's only worked a few times. The balance tab's UI is much better, though. Still slightly cut off, but much better than before. Perhaps something was lost in translation with monitor resolution differences and all? Something to look into.

Thanks again, It's great to be back.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:33   #466
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big-blue,

I don't think there is an ideal mix for any channel, certainly not one for all music genres. The idea is to not over-amplify any channel in the matrix (keep the sum total close to 1) while creating a mix that sounds good to you. The default mixes are SilverBird775's ideal suggestions. Use the delay and balance controls to adjust the relative output volume of each channel to account for speaker placement and room acoustics, then your speakers overall volume control to 'jack the sound'. It is some back and forth work, but the result is worth it in my opinion.

The ability to make adjustments is still in v0.53.test.04, but the matrix and balance tabs do not clearly show all the data input boxes. Go back to v0.53.test.02 to make your adjustments, then switch back to v0.53.test.04, or stay with v0.53.test.02 if you want to experiment with different matrix and balance settings. Be sure WA is shutdown before changing the .dll files.

This is still beta software, so SilverBird775 has some work to do on the UI. He is still focused on the 'meat and potatoes' stuff underneath. The balance controls were not even supposed to be released until the end of the year. He only did it now to give me and a few others something to begin playing with.

On the balance tab in v0.53.test.02, the input balance controls for each channel are on the top right and the output balance controls for each channel are on the bottom right. Swipe your mouse pointer across the balance controls near (or a little below) the 0 dB line for each channel to make the data input boxes appear. The data input boxes are offset to the left. For all the balance controls, unless you enter a value in the appropriate data input boxes, the changes you make with the sliders may not persist.

I expect these UI issues will be fixed in the next release or two.

Old 26th October 2012, 18:21   #467
big_blue

Hey Aminifu,

I was wondering where I could download the older version to roll back to. Is there a link on the Maiko site? I couldn't find anything there, and Silverbird didn't post any links to that build in this thread. I'd like to be able to go back to being able to set my delays and all, so it'd be nice if you could locate it for me.
Old 26th October 2012, 21:46   #468
big_blue

Nevermind, found a working version in my downloads folder. Thanks again!
Old 27th October 2012, 13:55   #469
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Nevermind, found a working version in my downloads folder. Thanks again!
I rename the Maiko zip files to add the version number and hold on to them for at least a month or two, after I'm sure I don't need them anymore.

Old 27th October 2012, 20:48   #470
big_blue

Sounds like a good idea, haha.
Old 28th October 2012, 14:22   #471
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi big_blue,

Now that you have things working again, I suggest you disable the WA option to enable 24 bit playback (disable it when nothing is playing) unless you are actually playing songs that are encoded as 24 bit. There is a warning that that option could cause problems and it may have contributed to the corruption of your Maiko .bin files. If you are playing 16 bit encoded songs, all that option does is add zeroes so that the 16 bit number looks like a 24 bit number. It is better to let Maiko do real upsampling, imo.

Old 25th November 2012, 21:42   #472
big_blue

^Noted, thanks. Also, regarding delays, would it make sense to subtract the value of the closest speaker (center) from all the other measurements or should I leave them as-is? Music's been sounding better and better, by the way
Old 26th November 2012, 13:53   #473
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
^Noted, thanks. Also, regarding delays, would it make sense to subtract the value of the closest speaker (center) from all the other measurements or should I leave them as-is? Music's been sounding better and better, by the way
Do you mean like setting the delay units to feet and having the center channel be zero and the others minus what the center's true distance is from their true distance? Would that make sense?

Technically that would depend on the effect you're looking for. But so what, try it. I think you're trying to be too technical. Let your ears judge. What I do (after establishing a baseline by using settings that make sense?) is make adjustments and listen for a while (several minutes to hours). If things improve (sound more like I want/like) I make more small adjustments in the same direction, if not I reverse course.

But, that's just me. I like fooling with stuff. You may just want to get things setup and then leave them be.

It's also important to use each tool (Maiko, Enhancer and equalizer) for their intended purpose.

Old 26th November 2012, 21:04   #474
big_blue

Thanks for the advice.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:46   #475
tm57

Hello, I've just configured this output plugin with winamp, and it seems great- thank you very much.

I'm not sure if I'm correctly in exclusive mode though. In the maiko plugin settings I have checked every box on the Exclusive tab. And in Windows Playback Decives I have clicked on my soundcard -> Properties -> Advanced and checked the box mark "Allow Applications to take Exclusive Control of this Device".

I then play a track through winamp, and almost all of the behavior seems to be correct. Right clicking on the Maiko icon in my system tray shows Exclusive is checked, Winamp volume control has no effect, I no longer hear system sounds or sounds from websites such as youtube, and spotify reports that there is an error with my soundcard when I try to play a track. But what confuses me is that the Windows Volume mixer down in the system tray still affects the Volume of the music output by Winamp.

Is this correct behavior for exclusive mode? Or have I done something wrong and am I actually in shared mode? I've tried googling and searching this forum, but I can't seem to find my answer.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me, and thank you very much for developing this plugin.
tm57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 18:57   #476
SilverBird775

Some confuse to sort out. The 's main volume control is tight tied to windows mixer control. Both controls are moving in sync, always. For an exclusive mode the gain is emulated by plugin. Of course the plugin is able to deactivate it's build-in gain emulation so the volume controls will just animate but would not have any other effect. The new volume control settings will be stored for a future use despite there is no gain unit enabled for a moment. So, both should move (animate) in sync but must have no additional effects a top of this. I mean there should be no actual gain to happen.
Old 10th January 2013, 21:53   #477
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
Hi, first happy new year, and hope you're all fine

I've found an mp3 in my library, which the Versions
0.53 test 02 and
0.53 test 04
won't play, but the stable version 0.53
play's fine.

I've provided a Zip file containing all three Versions of maiko
you can get it here: http://jonnyrimkus.square7.ch/stuff/maiko.error.mp3.zip

My Winamp Version is:
Winamp 5.63 [Jun 28 2012] Pro Version.

is the mp3 broken, or is it a bug in the maiko plugin?

additonally, the fact that it takes so long calculating the finest sample rate,
what would be if you store the results in a small database e.g sqllite or something similar,
and search there for the information you need?
Just a hint, hope you still like to see/improve your very nice piece of software

Kind regards Ravermeister

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 19:17   #478
mark007

Hi, I'm using 0.53 test 04 for a few weeks now, but maybe 2 or 3 times per day winamp will crash, and the maiko.dll is listed as the cause. Just wondering is there anything I can do to help diagnose these?

I have an Asus HDAV Deluxe 1.3, Windows 8 64bit.
mark007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 00:17   #479
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ravermeister,

I can confirm that your file does not play with Maiko 0.53 test 2. I did an analysis of it with "MP3 Diags", which said that the file has some non-standard structural issues (that it could not fix) and may not play in some players.

Since it does play with the earlier Maiko version, I assume the optimizations in the newer versions are enough to move it from playable to non-playable. Since the file is non-standard, this would technically not be a "bug" in Maiko.

Do you hear a difference between the normal and fine sampling rate on your system? I don't on mine, but I trust SilverBird775 so I'm putting up with the delay on startup and when a song file's sampling rate changes. It will be good if he finds a way to reduce the delay.

Old 3rd February 2013, 06:29   #480
big_blue

Anyone know why when I play a 24bit 96khz WAV file in winamp (status log reads it correctly as 24bit 96khz for input and output) it sounds staticy and glitchy (rapid clicking sound), whereas foobar2000 plays it flawlessly? Just bought the new my bloody valentine album but I can't listen to it in winamp because of the noise. My system is using 24bit 96khz so I don't see why there's anything lost in translation.

Did some more messing around, the clicking only occurs with Maiko, directsound plays fine. Also, checking the "allow 24bit" box in the winamp preferences cause the sound to be considerably quieter, though the clicking persists, at a higher rate. I also notice that when I have "Slave to input rate" checked in Maiko, I experience the same noise distorting the music. Never noticed this as I always had it unchecked. Any suggestions?

Last edited by big_blue; 3rd February 2013 at 07:42.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development