Old 11th November 2014, 02:47   #1
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Free webmail software

I distrust free mail providers such as Google and Microsoft; in fact, I distrust email as a "secure" communication medium entirely, but there's not much avoiding email these days, so the best I can do is to avoid the big data companies and do it myself.

My hosting provider supplies a few webmail solutions free-of-charge, but they are all lacking in one way or another, so I am looking for better [free] solutions. Here's what I've come up with, and test-run, thus far. I should add, I use IMAP, not POP, obviously.
  • AfterLogic Webmail Lite (HUGE on screen, crappy contacts, crappy columns)
  • AtMail (ugly, crappy contacts)
  • OxMail (crappy columns)
  • Roundcube (fingers crossed...)
  • RainLoop (crappy contacts - minimal fields)
  • SquirrelMail (ugly, crappy contacts)
  • Conjoon (NO contacts)

Each one is ugly, too big (on screen), crap at handling contacts, crap at handling folders, not customisable enough (columns and column order), and/or just plain crap.

The following ones look promising, but I can't figure out how to install them. My host may not allow such installations since they require other Java SDKs and Servlets and such:
  • Xuheki (ooooooold but promising; HOW THOUGH?)
  • ClarOS inTouch / Mini (requires Jave 2 SDK and Tomcat..?)
  • Xeams (full email server, no standalone webmail)
  • Zimbra (can't understand open-source "Collaboration", how to install, and oh yeah I think this one was a ~150 MB download)

OxMail, one of the options provided by my host, is probably the pick of the bunch, unfortunately. I'm currently re-trialling Roundcube as its column management and contacts management are muy bueno.

If anyone has any better idea(s), please, speak up.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 03:43   #2
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Here's my [shared, cheap] hosting server information:

FrontPage Extensions: No
Platform Type.............: Debian
MySQL Version..........: 5.5.32
Perl Version................: 5.8.8
PHP Version...............: 5.3
Sendmail Path............: /usr/sbin/sendmail
Perl Path.....................: /usr/bin/perl
PHP Path....................: /usr/local/bin/php

Old 11th November 2014, 13:00   #3
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Of those, Roundcube was awesome and I would suggest going with that one.

Zimbra is trying to be Exchange (and failing, in my opinion).

SquirrelMail is just awful (not to knock this too much, it was awesome, it's just dated now).

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 02:07   #4
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Update: I'm sticking with RoundCube for now.

Apart from being unable to [easily] use multiple domains, it's good. All my mail domains are routed through my one hosting provider anyway, so it just means that I can't add our Gmail accounts – but since I'm trying to move us all away from Gmail, that's not the worst thing in the world.

Old 4th December 2014, 13:16   #5
3xp0

Send a message via ICQ to 3xp0
Both horde and squirrelmail are outdated.
Roundcube is the way to go.
3xp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 23:54   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I've been using the same Hotmail (Microsoft) account since 1996. I haven't had spam on it since 1997. I use Microsoft Outlook to handle it; which isn't free, but work has always provided it. I realize it's "M$", but honestly I've had no complaints.

On the topic of work, the entire state's educational system uses Office 365, which is very helpful. All the MS Office 13 programs are available on any online machine as web apps, even if they're not installed. Plus, we get five licenses each (10 for us since my wife also works the same job) to install the traditional programs on our home computers.

The only downfall is that it's Office 13, which has a terrible two dimensional minimalistic GUI theme, which I hate. I wish I could do it all with '07 or '10.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 02:01   #7
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
The only downfall is that it's Office 13, which has a terrible two dimensional minimalistic GUI theme, which I hate. I wish I could do it all with '07 or '10.
I found a workaround for this: in the Options (for Word, for example) you can change from the garish flat white look, to light gray or dark gray; this makes Office '13 look like Office '07-'10. Having done this myself, a side benefit I've noticed is that I experience fewer "Not Responding" hangs (for example, when using CTRL+1 for cell properties in Excel).

Old 9th December 2014, 20:43   #8
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Sorry to admit that I'm typically a gmail user and my '96 hotmail address also still works.
I never cared for email clients and always stuck with webmail. For office, I've been using libreoffice (and before that openoffice) for a few years now after pirating msoffice and I wish I had switched years earlier.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 22:06   #9
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Something else that sucks about RoundCube is the lack of free additional skins. The default "Classic" is fine for desktops/laptops, but it doesn't fit on phones. The second pre-installed skin, "Larry", has the same problem. "LiteCube Free" is the one free third-party skin I've found which does detect mobile devices and scales down its appearance to suit ( ), however its full-size version sucks in comparison to "Classic" ( ).

Since each user can't "choose" two skins at once, and I don't want to have to swap my skin preference each time I log on with a differently-sized device, I've now decided to install a second copy of RoundCube, at a different subdomain (e.g. "mob.") and have that one set to use "LiteCube Free" as its default skin, leaving "Classic" as the default on the main subdomain. I'll log onto "mob." on my phone, and "mail." on my desktop/laptop/etc. Huzzah!

Old 10th December 2014, 00:35   #10
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
"LiteCube Free" is the one free third-party skin I've found which does detect mobile devices and scales down its appearance to suit ( )
Scratch that:
Quote:
Litecube Free is a limited version of the commercial Litecube skin and it does not include the mobile interface.

Old 21st January 2015, 13:04   #11
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I wanted to buy the black mobile RoundCube skin from these douchebags but they won't just sell it to me – no, they want me to register on their website so that I can benefit from future updates blah blah blah. I even asked on their facebook page if I could just PayPal them the money, but no. Wankers.

So... if anyone has one of the mobile RoundCube skins, or one of the more expensive skins from these guys (like the Outlook clone), which include mobile versions, let me know! I'll pay you to just send me the files, yo.

Old 22nd January 2015, 10:46   #12
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
Hi, have you seen tine20 yet?
https://www.tine20.org/en/home.html
it supports ICal/Exchange protocol sothat you can synchronize everything with your smartphone,
and you can organize your Calendar/E-mail/Addressbook with it.
(there are more modules available, but these are the ones I'm using)

Installing is not very difficult, (it is php based and supports mysql/postgresl/sqlite)

Kind regards
Raver

lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions