Old 24th March 2003, 15:47   #121
slothdog

Support for replaygain calculation would rock, too. (IE, generating the replaygain values, not just being able to use them for oggs.)
Old 24th March 2003, 15:49   #122
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by slothdog
One problem importing tracks, though. It appears that if ID3V2 (only) tags are set in an mp3, it still tries to parse the name from the filename. (Example: I have a directory entitled \anything box\binaural repeats- 1993-2002\. The files have ID3V2 but not ID3V1 tags (with just "Binaural Repeats" as the album name). The album column in media library shows up as "1993-2002")
id3v2 tags are the work of the devil though, so just replace 'em using the mass tagging...

Old 24th March 2003, 16:06   #123
SweWiLLiE

Why would anyone in their right mind replace their id3v2 with id3v1??
Me myself has all mp3's with id3v2, and I deleted all id3v1 so they would not be shown...

Slothdog: All my mp3z shows correct here (except the latest 15 I added, their Genre show (138)Black Metal & (11)Oldies)
Old 24th March 2003, 16:16   #124
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by SweWiLLiE
Why would anyone in their right mind replace their id3v2 with id3v1??
Me myself has all mp3's with id3v2, and I deleted all id3v1 so they would not be shown...
id3v2 tags are a very poor hack, and a rubbish update. they're also unsupported by many things due to general poor design. the only reason i ever used them was for longer names, until i found you can make longer names in standard tags now.

Old 24th March 2003, 16:22   #125
SweWiLLiE

zootm: Thats the main reason why i'm using id3v2... (Long names).. How do you apply long names to id3v1?
Old 24th March 2003, 17:06   #126
Lion King
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
@eXplorer / LionKing
This is an old issue, and not necessarily a Winamp problem.
wa 2.9b1/2's open files dialog shows all files when 'all supported types' is selected, wa 2.81's one shows only the supported ones, both on the win2k

i actually like this behaviour because it is faster for big dirs/many input plugins
Old 24th March 2003, 19:14   #127
glop

hi
i don't know if it was posted int this tread but the mms:\\ streaming don't match no more ( the beta 1 was ok...) okok i know it's just a beta it's just to say that
good bye

a little thing for whishlist > please make a little explorer for devices library entry (and please make an external plugin who reconize mass storage peripherals , and all mp3 physical player too (like muvo)
Old 24th March 2003, 19:30   #128
Cheezychops
Major Dude

in the media library, i have videos named like: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Season 01 - 17 - Double Trouble Duel (Part 1).avi, and with the dashes in Yu-Gi-Oh!, it puts Yu as the Artist and Gi-Oh! as the Album

Not a big thing but a little annoying.

(screen shot attached)

Edit: and if anyone is having problems with 2.9 crashing when Always On Top is on, and then you open the Media Library and it crashes: go to:

Display -> Settings Tab -> Advanced -> Tab with name of Geforce card -> Desktop Utilities ... Then just uncheck the "Enable Desktop Manager"
Attached Images
File Type: png ml-artist-album.png (32.5 KB, 200 views)
Old 24th March 2003, 21:33   #129
glop

hi
little wish (not difficult to implement

why can the library have not a refresh optionnality , like radio ??

refresh library every : startup / weekly /monthly ..

great options, isn't it ?
Old 24th March 2003, 21:55   #130
mphilmon

Multi-Monitor usage problem Beta2

I'm running 2.9 Beta2 at work. I run a laptop with a desktop monitor as my second monitor. I typically keep Winamp up in the second monitor. In Winamp3 it remembered it's position and came up in that other monitor. The new beta doesn't.

[Merged: (129627) was seperate thread --Sawg]
Old 24th March 2003, 21:59   #131
D&B
Banned

As far as wishes, I think this list, taken from here is full of great ideas.

[edit]this list edited to remove things that are already in winamp 2 and things that are entirely 3.x specific[/edit]
Quote:
Originally posted by killswitch1968
Most Requested Wishes

Playlist wishes[list=1][*]Optional Play and Enqueue: 16[*]Temp/default playlist (double click files end up here): 12[*]Playlist in a playlist: 4[*]Directory based playlists "WADLL": 9[*]Delete key on a selected playlist unloads it: 5[*]Right-click a folder with MP3s and be able to create a playlist from the contents: 6[*]"Undo" option: 4[*]Current song playing appears in the middle of the playlist: 3[*]Customize how files are displayed in the playlist: 5[*]B4s playlist files have more options: 2[*]Rating songs: 2[*]"ALL" playlist, which loads all unique songs from all playlists in the sidecar: 4[/list=1] Queue wishes[list=1][*]Play focused file even when you have queued songs: 4[*]Remove all queued songs: 3[*]Enqueue-dequeue playlists: 4[/list=1]Video wishes[list=1][*]Video gamma ability: 5[*]AVS+videos in same window: 7[*]Physically rename files: 3[*]Video maximize such that taskbar still viewable: OSD coming.[*]A standard vis window that can display avs and custom vis plugins: 3[/list=1]Media Library wishes[list=1][*]Media Library as a powerful ID tagger: 6[*]Specify directories the Media Library takes songs from (dynamic): 7[/list=1]Miscellaneous wishes[list=1][*]Logarithmic (dB volume): 13[*]Prevent Winamp from going off screen: 4[*]Songs played from explorer should not cause Winamp to be restored: 5[/list=1]
I am also deeply in love with this idea:

Quote:
Originally posted by skinme!
One thing which is really pissing me off, and I think it was mentioned before. If you double click an item in one of your playlists in the ML, it loads a new playlist containing only that song/vid. It'd be better if it did this:

Check if double clicked song/vid is in current playlist. If yes, keep same playlist in PL but jump to that song. If not, load the playlist in which the song you double clicked resides and then play the song.
The one other thing I would like is the feature of the EQ to normalize that was going to be put in 3.x.

2 features from 3.X that I miss since my switch back to 2.X:
-Playlist Sidecar
-Alt-Click Enquing
Old 24th March 2003, 22:05   #132
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

It's always been that way with winamp 2, so it's not a bug directly related to 2.9b2.

Old 24th March 2003, 22:10   #133
jesseg

badrad,
What do you mean by normalize? The new EQ (seems to) have some kind of limiting on each band, and also a final limiter. Did you mean AGC?

jesseg
Old 24th March 2003, 22:16   #134
D&B
Banned

Sorry, I may be using the wrong word. I mean where it memorizes the highest volume points in a song, and then on next playing boosts (or lowers) the overall volume. This way all your MP3s would be at the same volume, yet retain their natural peaks and lows in volume. I thought this was called "normalizing". I may be wrong.

Its a feature that was (may still be) going to be in newer builds of Winamp 3.x.
Old 24th March 2003, 22:17   #135
zootm
Forum King

normalise is the right word, incidentally...

Old 24th March 2003, 22:29   #136
slothdog

It's called normalizing, and Replay Gain is becoming the de facto lossless way to do it. Foobar2000 has it built-in, for example.
Old 24th March 2003, 22:29   #137
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

yes, the normalizer is still in development... "Learn button" for the ones who have no idea what we're talking about..

-Plague
Old 24th March 2003, 22:33   #138
jesseg

AH IC now, i was confused when you said "EQ to normalize" srry.

Yea replaygain is definately needed in nullsoft mpeg in. I'll second that.
Old 24th March 2003, 22:40   #139
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@badrad
Why did you post a Winamp3 wishlist in this Winamp 2.9b-specific thread?
Old 24th March 2003, 22:45   #140
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Quote:
Originally posted by Plague
kewl kewl..

one thing though, in Winamp3's library, there's a really nice feature which makes the library the playlist if you play the song from it, instead of from the playlist editor.
From what I can tell, this isn't available in 2.9..
Is that something you would consider adding?
It's not uber important but it's a nice feature.

-Plague
We're actually trying to avoid this this time around. The playlist editor in Winamp 2.9 always reflects what's currently playing, while the library reflects all the media that you can play. They are clear and strict differenciations.

-s

Steve Gedikian
Ex Llama Wrangler
Old 24th March 2003, 22:47   #141
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
@badrad
Why did you post a Winamp3 wishlist in this Winamp 2.9b-specific thread?
Cause I think that many of the ideas on that wishlist would be great in 2.X as well. Shall I edit it out of my post?
Old 24th March 2003, 22:54   #142
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by steve
We're actually trying to avoid this this time around. The playlist editor in Winamp 2.9 always reflects what's currently playing, while the library reflects all the media that you can play. They are clear and strict differenciations.

-s
I really agree with that!
Old 24th March 2003, 23:12   #143
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by steve

-s
oh, ok..
thaz cool..

-Plague
Old 24th March 2003, 23:38   #144
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Errr.... Preferences (ctrl+p)->Options->Multi-monitor and Litestep VWM compatible mode.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 24th March 2003, 23:51   #145
skinme!
Forum King

Hmmm, ability to delete skins from within Winamp as a standard feature w/o the plugin (it's a little buggy).

Normalisation will be a great feature for when I ripped things badly!

Doesn't in_mp3 already feature an option for a logarithmic volume control?

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
Old 25th March 2003, 00:07   #146
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by skinme!
Doesn't in_mp3 already feature an option for a logarithmic volume control?
Prefs -> Input -> in_mp3.dll -> config -> decoder tab:
Logarithmic EQ (default)
Option: linear EQ

Prefs -> Plugins -> Output -> out_ds.dll -> config -> other tab
Volume control:
linear (default)
Options: logarithmic | hybrid
Old 25th March 2003, 01:01   #147
EAK125

Send a message via AIM to EAK125 Send a message via Yahoo to EAK125
I need to mention as someone else did that OGM movies (avi's with Ogg sound) do run but the sound is F***ed. What would be used to decode that? Does anyone else have this problem?
On the video CPU usage front - i tried a couple of my movies on my comp against WMP6.2 and here's the results:
Winamp WMP Size Type
35-60% 18-30% 69.9mb MPEG
65-80% 35-50% 104mb Avi(Divx/Lame)
30-60% 18-30% 75.7mb MPEG
40-50% 10-25% 20.6mb AVI(Divx/Lame)

All were done windowed. Sound is set to Directsound and hardware accelerated in winamp.
I am runnin a Duron 1ghz with a GF4 420, Soundblaster audigy MP3+, 384mb ram and over 40 gigs free space.
You can see that winamp hit 80% on the avi's where WMP6 only hit 30 - that's a big hit. The Mpeg movies were a little lower in Winamp but WMP still halfed the cpu.

(EAK)

...Do not forget to mention, when the time and
Place are appropriate, that I am an Ass.
---Much Ado About Nothing - Act 5 Scene 1
Old 25th March 2003, 01:08   #148
Dracil

Hmm, I've noticed that songs taken from the library do not match the playlist names.

e.g.
From the Media Library: All Real - 1 Still All Real
but once I play it, the name in the playlist switches to All Real - Still All Real (the track # disappears). It would be nice to actually have them match up. Either use one or the other, not both (I would prefer it not use the Library's naming format).

Also, any way to move the bars in the Library? e.g., I want to move the Filename column to the left, but I can't seem to be able to move it.
Old 25th March 2003, 01:09   #149
Christophe
Sexaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by EAK125
You can see that winamp hit 80% on the avi's where WMP6 only hit 30 - that's a big hit. The Mpeg movies were a little lower in Winamp but WMP still halfed the cpu.
Interesting. What desktop bit depth are you in? And do you have "Allow video overlay" checked in video prefs?

Could you do those tests again with different res. like 16, 24 or 32bpp and report back?

Thanks,
-Christophe

- time heals but i'm forever broken
Old 25th March 2003, 01:18   #150
Dracil

Another thing about the Library, is there a way to get it to read the Artist, Title, and Album from the Tags instead of by the Filename/Directory instead? A lot of anime tends to be sorted by Anime - Title, and using the current format, the Anime name becomes the "Artist"
Old 25th March 2003, 01:20   #151
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dracil
Another thing about the Library, is there a way to get it to read the Artist, Title, and Album from the Tags instead of by the Filename/Directory instead? A lot of anime tends to be sorted by Anime - Title, and using the current format, the Anime name becomes the "Artist"
it already does. i think someone said it doesn't like id3v2 tags though.

Old 25th March 2003, 01:41   #152
jabaman42

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
And about the EQ, I dont really care. I have been using this gift from god for a while, and it was the reason I switched from WA3 back to 2.81.
Ooo, me likes. I never tried that before, but it does sound awesome, thanks for the tip man.
Old 25th March 2003, 01:42   #153
D&B
Banned

OK, so I through my hat into the CPU Usage tests. This is what I got (numbers are % CPU usage):

410 Megabyte, .avi, Divx, 1024 X 768, 32bit color, windowed at native size

Winamp
27-63
Average in 40s

WMP 9
22-35
Average 25

410 Megabyte, .avi, Divx, 1024 X 768, 16bit color, windowed at native size

Winamp
37-74
Average in 50s

WMP 9
22-35
Average 25

553 Megabyte, .mpg, 1024 X 768, 16bit color, windowed at native size

Winamp
19-38
Average 30

WMP 9
0-13
Average 6

553 Megabyte, .mpg, 1024 X 768, 32bit color, windowed at native size

Winamp
13-44
Average 30

WMP 9
0-13
Average 6

My CPU is an Athlon XP 2000+ with geforce 4 TI. I do have "Allow video overlay" checked.

As you can see, for whatever reason, WMP has MUCH better performance.
Old 25th March 2003, 01:51   #154
Dracil

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
it already does. i think someone said it doesn't like id3v2 tags though.
Nope, doesn't seem to be reading off id3v1 tags either. Or is it, if id3v2 tags exist at all it won't work and will just read off the filename/directory instead?
Old 25th March 2003, 01:53   #155
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dracil
Nope, doesn't seem to be reading off id3v1 tags either. Or is it, if id3v2 tags exist at all it won't work and will just read off the filename/directory instead?
that's possible. i know it works for id3v1 tags, and oggtags, because that's all i use...

Old 25th March 2003, 02:35   #156
Dracil

Hmm, I just made sure that I didn't have id3v2 tags and it still doesn't seem to want to work. Possible bug? I'm using WinXP with Japanese language settings if that helps.

BTW, is there a reason why the Winamp Library can display the Japanese properly, but the playlist and the Tag Info (alt+3) show garbage characters?

Last edited by Dracil; 25th March 2003 at 02:52.
Old 25th March 2003, 03:19   #157
xVariable

Comments and requests

Great job guys, I just have one or two requests:

1) Any chance you'll add Quick Time and Real media support to the video window? Granted, there are third party plugins that support these formats. There are problems, however: a) the one plugin that supports Real Media formats (Tara) doesn't implement a "standard" method for skinning the video window. This results in an inconsistent look and feel (even the "bitmapped window" setting doesn't really skin the window properly, as you know if you've used the option), b) the plugin(s) that support QT formats also support other formats already covered by in_dshow. The overlap can cause conflicts and problems, the sort of which cause certain supported filetypes to play improperly if at all (often, but not always, these problems can be overcomeby editing file associations in ini files, but either way this is generally beyond the average non-technical user), c) deferring support for these codecs to third-party plugins requires a whole separate skinning engine and in_dll to be loaded. The result is increased resource useage (both mem and proc), and usually an inconsistent look and feel unless the skin producer specifically supports said plugins. Providing native support will allow for a completely consistent look and feel, and d) it rather makes sense to me that in_dshow should support these formats. It's good for the user, good for Winamp, and merely requires a few more lines of code to interface with those libraries if they happen to exist on the user's system.

2) Is it possible to make the horizontal and vertical scrollbars in the Media Library look the same as the Playlist scrollbar? For that matter, for the sake of consistency the scrollbars in the Minibrowser should look like the PL bars too. On this topic, the blue detail categories in the ML should look more like the rest of the UI, both in terms of colour and size (blue looks out of place, and these widgets as they are atm are too large imo).

There are other little things, but I've already written enough as it is, and I can't remember everything else right now anyway. Good work again guys, looking great!

Last edited by xVariable; 25th March 2003 at 05:25.
Old 25th March 2003, 03:22   #158
zootm
Forum King

to dracil:
i suspect the library may have unicode support? i know that the other elements don't.

i suspect your problem could be with your japanese language settings, yeah...

Old 25th March 2003, 03:37   #159
kapkorn

In 2.9 beta the sound on my rear speakers (5.1s) doesnt work anymore

and if i enable hardware acell in the output it will work, but its crackling and pops

it works fine with the default in 2.81 with no pops

im using 6 channels ALC650 sound (onboards beats the hell outta my SB LIVE)

5.1 mp3s is nice
Old 25th March 2003, 03:37   #160
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
for one they can't ever support quicktime or realmedia because its illegal. they are proprietary formats that are controlled by apple and real. apple and especially real get their revenue or some revenue based on their own players. Any plugins that play real or quicktime are illegal. so you can forget the plugin. if you don't like it. tuff.. thats just the way it is.. when and if the ogg video format comes out.. people can start to use it, instead of proprietary codecs like real, wma, or quicktime.

non proprietary formats are the key to playing media the way YOU want, and not the way some fat corporation wants you to view it.

on a brighter note, i have been using winamp2.9 beta 2 for 2 days and it has not crashed yet. very stable and fast.. video works great. awesome job nullsoft!
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions