Old 4th December 2003, 14:55   #1
robinb

Differences between winamp 3 and 5?

I have winamp 3 now and I notice on your forum that there is going to be a winamp 5.

Do I have to uninstall winamp 3 to put on winamp 5?

Also what are the differences between the two products and is winamp also going to be free?

thanks
robin
Old 4th December 2003, 15:58   #2
JonnyMac

Winamp 5 is a upgrade from Winamp 2x. Winamp3 and Winamp 2 are different and separate players. Winamp3 is a based on the Wasabi platform. Winamp 2/5 are based on the Win32 core.

You do not have to uninstall Winamp3 to install Winamp 5. Both can "live" on the same computer. Do not install WA5 over the WA3 folder/directory. After the final public release of WA5, Winamp3 will go bye-bye and support for WA3 will end.

More info...
Winamp5 Development FAQ
Winamp 5 release candidate thread
Winamp 5 RC8 discussion thread

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 4th December 2003, 23:08   #3
robinb

do both players do the same thing?
If I uninstalled winamp 3 when winamp 5 comes out will I loose specific functions?

that is why I would like to know what features are in winamp 5 that winamp 3 doesn't have?
thanks
robin
Old 5th December 2003, 00:35   #4
JonnyMac

Some features of Winamp3 are "missing" in Winamp 5. Features like enqueue/dequue within the playlists and the playlist sidecar (multiple playlists) are not a part of Winamp 2/5. However forum member DrO is working a alternative playlist called Extended Playlist which will bring similar features like that to Winamp 5. WA5 does not support WA3's b4s playlist format. So if you saved any WA3 playlists to the b4s format you should load them in Winamp3 and save them to m3u format...
In Winamp 3
1. right-click on the playlist name
2. select 'Save playlists as...'
3. change dropdown menu from b4s to m3u
4. save to a convenient location

Also Winamp 5 does not support Winamp3 components.

The Winamp 5 media library is much more advanced than WA3 (IMHO). The Winamp 5 media library has folder/media scanning and a built in "now playing" feature. It also scans the net for Shoutcast steams and NSV (Nullsoft sreaming video) streams.

The best way to discover the differences between WA3 and WA5 is to try WA5 your self. It will knock you socks off. WA5 is a awesome media player.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 5th December 2003, 12:32   #5
WHEREamI
Major Dude

errrrr... i warn you not to use Extended Playlist yet! it's nowhere near ready. doesn't even really work yet.

~WHEREamI
Old 5th December 2003, 13:20   #6
JonnyMac

Yup. Still in development, but looks very promising IMHO. Can’t wait for the final.
Old 5th December 2003, 14:50   #7
robinb

when will the final version of winamp 5 be out?
and also is it free like winamp 3?

also thanks for the past replys.

thanks
robin
Old 5th December 2003, 21:22   #8
JonnyMac

The answers you seek are in the links that posted in my second reply. Try the Winamp5 Development FAQ first. Please refer to the links if you have any more questions.

Anyways...
Q#1. Winamp 5 standard is free.
Q#2. Tentative dates have been set and have passed by. Nullsoft must be trying to work out all the kinks before the final public release. So, the best guess that I am willing to make is... very soon.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion