Old 14th December 2003, 01:59   #41
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Winamp3 and Winamp 5 (Winamp 5 is both current and next generation) and wasabi.player are so 'next generation' because of Wasabi, the platform they are built upon.

go read about it at www.wasabidev.org before asking what Wasabi is, which I suspect you have no idea of..

Oh, and just because you know what a .dll is, does not make you some sort of software expert.. ALOT of people know what .dll's are and still don't know jack shit about software in general.
And then there's software DEVELOPMENT, which is an entire different issue and you don't seem to know jack shit about that either..

edit:
I'm done with you now.

-Plague
Old 14th December 2003, 02:02   #42
WHEREamI
Major Dude

This is getting pointless...

Quote:
( which have loads of dlls and all sorts of troublesome stuff, oh I forgot, I don't know anything about software)
Oh, WOW! you know that Nero has dlls, and that they can cause touble! I :bow: to your all knowing-ness.

Bottom line: Winamp3/wasabi.player BARE minimum requirements: 1 GHz, 256+ RAM (that's generous even), something better than Win ME.
Also, don't talk about anything other than the stable 499 builds. That's 499-499c. Only talk about later builds if you're trying to HELP us debug it.

You don't have that? You don't get to talk.
Old 14th December 2003, 02:10   #43
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
please note: if both winamp3 and winamp v5.x give you problems playing MP3s whereas winamp v2.x did not? how about updating your sound card drivers? the newer winamps use a newer directsound output system wich kraps out on old shittie sound card drivers, such as those that creative labs gives out.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 14th December 2003, 02:12   #44
scbadger

I'll go and have a read.
But you didnt explain what is so revolutionary.
Still seems something wrong when you need a state of the art comp to play mp3s.
You obviously think I'm some kind of an idiot, but I'll still stick to my view that winamp3 was crap code, released way too early.
bye.
Old 14th December 2003, 02:16   #45
scbadger

Sorry I only just read your last posts.
1GHZ!
DivX can run on a 600 recommended and even my 400, no prob.
good job I'm upgrading the proc 2morrow.
Old 14th December 2003, 02:17   #46
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
because it ISNT just an MP3 player... IT IS A DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM!! the free-form skinning engine and the all new component system is the next-gen stuff that older systems have issues with.. NOT the playing of MP3s... if ALL you want is an MP3 player, get something basic like windows media player 6.4, or foobar or winamp v.1.x, wich have the most basic GUIs you can image.

try looking into the actual source code of the wasabi SDK. it is a hell of alot more complex and flexible than just about anything you could ever find elsewhere.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 14th December 2003, 02:23   #47
scbadger

ok I'll take a look.
I could go on all night but better finish by saying that you should bear in mind not all people have the sort of spec youre talking about.
I seriously think Nullsoft ought to change the name of the product now. It's obviously moving miles away from what it originally was.
Gotta go fellas. bedtime.
Nice chatting with you
Old 14th December 2003, 02:32   #48
Darkain
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by scbadger
ok I'll take a look.
I could go on all night but better finish by saying that you should bear in mind not all people have the sort of spec youre talking about.
I seriously think Nullsoft ought to change the name of the product now. It's obviously moving miles away from what it originally was.
Gotta go fellas. bedtime.
Nice chatting with you

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!

try this... search for somthing called "wasabi.player"

its ALREADY been renamed... ugh...

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 14th December 2003, 02:37   #49
Raftysworld

Send a message via AIM to Raftysworld Send a message via Yahoo to Raftysworld
I'll just run over a quick list of Wasabi Player benefits over WA 2.XX/5 (Not to mention other leading media players). I don't know much (anything) about coding/software development, but this is to the best of my knowledge:

1) A flexible, free-formed skinning engine
2) A flexible, component-based architecture. Much more advanced than the WA 2.XX plugin architecture.
3) Cross-Platform capabilities, for those running other OSes. An official Linux version has not yet been released, but last I heard it is still in the works... I think. Not sure about this one after Brennen was fired.

From an end-user's perspective:

1) A very fast media library. It's much much much faster than both WA 5's, and WA 2.9's. It isn't as feature rich, only because it hasn't been worked on too much, but if it were to be, it would blow WA 5's out of the water.
2) Multiple Playlist support (Sidecar). Very handy if you have different playlists, and don't want to have to navigate to the media library to view them all.
3) Native Enqueue (Selection of to be played tracks) support.
4) Many more little things.

I'm not just arguing for the sake of arguing here. All I'm trying to do is serve justice toward WA3/Wasabi Player. I'm happily using WA 5 over WA3, so it's not like I'm in any way biased. I just want people to understand that there is a difference between a program "sucking" and a program that doesn't fit your particular needs.
Old 14th December 2003, 02:48   #50
scbadger

raftysworld
I must admit, when I went back to 2.9 one of the first thing i did was right click to enqueue. I really miss that.
I'll D/L it, install the minimum and hope my new 1.3 celery will run it
:-)

and if it's any good, I'll come back on here I'll sing it's praises.

really got to go. see you
Old 14th December 2003, 02:52   #51
evil_oj

Winamp3 is next generation in design, but overall and in the end, it's not that big of a leap as a final product.

Even if Winamp5 loads skins slower or faster it doesn't matter, in fact i think it would load them faster. Aren't Quake 2&3 mods just plugins too (dlls)?

The simple fact is that Winamp 5 grows and improves faster than Winamp3 in the area of real useable features. Look at Winamp3's changelogs compared to Winamp5's, and yes I know that Winamp3 progressed slower becuase it was a new program from the ground up, but that doesn't matter. Building something based on something that is already solid only means that you skip a lot of stuff.

I'll wait an extra 300ms if Winamp5 ever really does load skins slower than Winamp3 (which i don't think it is, and even if it is, i wouldn't use Winamp3 since it is a resource hog).

Winamp3 was a great attempt and probably did push programs to a higher level, but for what it did and served as a product (mp3 player) it doesn't make as much sense for the time being as Winamp 5 does.

also:

If something cannot be done in Winamp5 because of the fact that it's based on Winamp2, that would be easily done with Winamp3, i'd like to know what it is that really that important. I'd let Nullsoft single handedly program whatever is missing.

and don't get me wrong, i'm not anti-Winamp3, i'm just pro-good.

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.
Old 14th December 2003, 03:30   #52
scbadger

accidental post.sorry
Old 14th December 2003, 03:38   #53
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

wasabi.player IS faster than Winamp 5 (when using Modern skins), and Winamp 5 is the resource hog (when using Modern skins) compared to wasabi.player.

so you got that part wrong.

Winamp3 WAS a resource hog, but that was because both it and Wasabi was far from beeing complete and hadn't been the least bit optimized. It has now, and that's why Winamp 5 is faster and uses less resources than Winamp3 #488 and that's why wasabi.player is faster and uses less resources than Winamp 5.

Also, a very popular complaint about Winamp3 was that it was bloated. Come on! That's bullshit.
Winamp 5 is bloated compared to it.
You wanna know why?
It's because in Winamp3 and in wasabi.player, you have the choice of not installing, or removing afterwards, ANYTHING you don't want, since EVERYTHING is a component.
In Winamp 2 and Winamp 5, you don't have that luxury, you're stuck with much of what they put in there. edit: Tho, as pointed out to me (yes yes, I was trying to make Winamp 5 look worse than it is, sorry), Winamp 5 can have much of the features removed too, just not the Winamp 2 (v < 2.9) stuff.
And now with Winamp 5 beeing AOL's little puppy for competing with all the other over bloated players out there (QuickTime, RealOne, WiMP, etc..) they feel they have to implement EVERYTHING into Winamp 5 including the kitchen sink. Now THAT'S bloat.
For example: I liked the Media Library in 2.9x and early 5.0 betas, but now they have put all kinds of really unneccesary shit in it, like categories for most played, never played, recently added, recently played, top rated, recent items, etc etc etc...
Why?
Some of them can be useful yea, but not all of them.
But if you want EVERYTHING, then they have to be there. But then again, that's EXACTLY what bloat is.
Another example is that you're stuck with stuff you might not want to have, simply because it's built right into the .exe file.
That's also bloat, compared to Wasabi's component solution, where you can literally remove ANYTHING. You can even remove the core itself if you feel like it, but don't count on anything exciting happening when you press the Play button afterwards..

What I wanna have said here is that I think it's hilarious that the EXACT same things people complained about over Winamp3, seems to be non-issues with Winamp 5, even though Winamp 5 has the same things to complain about plus more.
Like, in Winamp3, the freeform skin support was all like "fuck, it's sooo slow on my little calculator here", whils't in Winamp 5 it's like "WOW, it's beautiful!!! Winamp3 didn't have this!!!, You've outdone yourself!!!!!11". And yet, it's the exact same skin engine!
Which makes me come to the conclusion that people just complained about those stuff because they had to have something to complain about. The only thing they really didn't like with Winamp3 was the lack of the small things, the fire vis, the J key (oh god how many complaints haven't we heard about that), etc...
This is what I think and if it's remotely true then it's pathetic.
Winamp 2 took like 6 or 7 years to implement all those things, one cannot expect that over night in Winamp3.

-Plague
Old 14th December 2003, 03:53   #54
evil_oj

Whatever time that Winamp3 saves in being faster to intitially load a skin, it loses immediately when you open various windows (media library, preferences), since in Winamp3 they are slower to draw, after being loaded.

When people say that Winamp3 is bloated, I think that they mean that even with the minimum number of components installed to play mp3s and such, it usually fills more memory than a fully loaded Winamp5. It's not so much bloat as in unneeded components, but bloat in the size of the components, even as few as they are.

Let's pretend that WA3 and WA5 both load skins at the same speed, even after this, performace after the loading period is still slower in Winamp3, not really significantly, but people would usually consider this to be bloat, because it's obviously more lines of code per task.

I'm not talking about the skinning engine, Wasabi in general and how it runs and handles windows and stuff, it's not really slim platform or even program specific code, so when it's main target platform is Windows, and the main program is Winamp, most people don't want winamp to lose it's speed and stability just to let a minority of Linux users eventually use it.

Winamp5 is platform specific to Windows, and most of it's code is specific to Winamp. So, Winamp5 is geared to the majority of users, that's why it seems like everyones turning against Winamp3 and it's remaining die-hard fans.

edit:
@Plague:

"Winamp 5 can have much of the features removed too, just not the Winamp 2 (v < 2.9) stuff.?
What < 2.9 features would you want to take away? The playlist? That would cause more code to make Winamp so modular that things like that can snap on or off that it would to leave them in.

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.
Old 14th December 2003, 04:03   #55
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

maybe..
you have a good point.
but I still think it's rather pathetic behaviour..

And just to make things clear, my rant above was NOT to diss Winamp 5, I WAS trying to make Wasabi standalone look better than Winamp 5 but that's because it's my personal opinion about it, but I was NOT trying to diss Winamp 5. I like Winamp 5, but I like Wasabi standalone too, and I wanna see them BOTH live on, where most newbs wanna see Wasabi standalone, or atleast the Winamp3/wasabi.player part of it buried.

edit:
"What < 2.9 features would you want to take away? The playlist? That would cause more code to make Winamp so modular that things like that can snap on or off that it would to leave them in."
yea, the pledit is a good example.
It's not that I want it separated from the .exe so badly, it's more that I think it's sooooo limited and old and that the only reason to still keep it to maintain full Classic skin compatibility is just not good enough of a reason..
I want it improved, that's all..
But there are more than just the pledit.
Winamp2 is pretty much a package deal, not that it's that bloated or anything, it's just that I, myself, prefer the modular approach of Wasabi.

-Plague
Old 14th December 2003, 04:25   #56
Raftysworld

Send a message via AIM to Raftysworld Send a message via Yahoo to Raftysworld
Quote:
Originally posted by scbadger
raftysworld
I'll D/L it, install the minimum and hope my new 1.3 celery will run it
:-)
I have a 1.2 Celeron, with 512 Megs of RAM, and Wasabi Player v499C runs flawlessly (well, flawlessly for a dev build). So it should work fine.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion