Old 8th March 2005, 21:20   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

CD-R question..

I was never real big on burning CDs until lately... Anyways

My comp froze up during the start of the burn on one of my CDR's, so the disk never got finalized... But now I can't burn on it. Is it possible to erase it or something?

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 21:35   #2
NJK
The Frisian

No, you just lost a cd.

cd-rw are re-writeable cd's
the cd-r stands for read only.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 21:46   #3
mysterious_w
Forum King

Is it possible to use up half a cd-r's capactcity, then at a later date finish filling it up?

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 21:51   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Only if you started off with the disc being a multisession cd...
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/...510032,00.html
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 03:11   #5
Print
Forum King

If you mess up burning a CD-R, you get a nice new coaster.

Plus, there's no point in making a multi-session disc in my opinion, just burn it all at once when your ready.

Or you could just use CDRW's all the time, even though I feel CD-RW's should be used only if you plan on updating or changing what's on the disc, for example - an MP3 disc you use in a discman, or a program CD disc with free software, Eg. Ad-aware or Winamp etc.
Though CDR's are made to last, rarely lose it's data, and are usually never have read problems (like in a CD player, some players don't play CDRW's).
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 03:57   #6
protegechris
Forum Queen

Yeah, I'm just going to buy cdrs in bulk from now on and save some money..

For some reason when I burn CDs with cdburnerxp, SOME of the songs won't play in my car cd player Burning at 24x, wav... songs play fine on the computer though

yeah, i'm back.
Old 9th March 2005, 04:11   #7
Print
Forum King

Couple of tips that seem to work for me, and might save you some $, even if it's just a few CD's.

One, use a popular and reliable software program, I use Nero, and i've never had a problem - but any good piece of software should do it. I only say this because unless your burning something other than VCD's, CD's or file CD's - name brand retail software is the best.

Also, if you have the time - burn all your CD's around 4x - 8x. I'm told there is a lesser chance of a problem occuring the slower you burn your CD's. Don't get me wrong, i've made alot of CD's at 52x, but depending on the drive you have, it could help just by lowering your burn speed a little.

You should also know that when you burn a multi-disc session CD, it uses like 50 extra MB of space.
Old 9th March 2005, 04:21   #8
protegechris
Forum Queen

Good Idea. I wish I knew the max of my cd player, but I guess I'll burn the cd again tomorrow at 4x and see if it makes a difference.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 9th March 2005, 05:15   #9
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

Yeah slower speeds definitely burn better, and it helps for old stereos especially, since they used to have weaker lazers than today's ones. Although I know one really old stereo that won't read my CD-Rs at all.
Cognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 05:33   #10
Print
Forum King

Yeah, the newer the better when it comes to reading CDR/CDRW's.

But when I was talking about the speed in which you burn at, I just meant that the hardware is less likely to make an error on the material it is burning too.
Old 9th March 2005, 06:21   #11
Cognition
Some Random Guy
(Major Dude)

I think it burns deeper as well so the lazer has less trouble, and that's why it's easier on old systems, but I'm not sure.
Cognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 07:37   #12
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Get a new CD Writer with 'burn proof' - which can resume if the buffer runs out....
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 07:50   #13
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally posted by c2R
Get a new CD Writer with 'burn proof' - which can resume if the buffer runs out....
And ususally causes glitches on the disc if the buffer DOES run out, and burn proof kicks in.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 07:58   #14
and1k

Quote:
Originally posted by c2R
Burnproof is crap.

According to this article, (link) JustLink is better, but I've read somewhere else that the Yamaha version is the best, because it gives a smaller gap between end of burn and start of burn.

I've got a CD that I burned on a BurnProof drive, and there's a big skip on it at the same place on the CD every time, because the computer had a fit and nearly crashed while it was writing. On the plus side, no coaster, on the downside, there's a huge skippy pop in the middle of track 3.

My 2 cents.

Andrew.

I would thank you kindly not to sniff my chicken
and1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 13:37   #15
protegechris
Forum Queen

I've noticed when burning that my buffer on the program always runs out, but no problems on the cd from it..

My car stereo is only about a month old, but I figure I'll try burning slower anyways.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 9th March 2005, 14:09   #16
ujay
Forum King

More than you probably ever wanted to know

Here
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...516#entry74070
and
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....threadid=69698

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 14:20   #17
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by and1k
On the plus side, no coaster, on the downside, there's a huge skippy pop in the middle of track 3.
if that happened to me it'd be a coaster, seriously, with the price of a CD-R being, what? like 3 cents each or something? why not burn a new skip-free copy?
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 19:34   #18
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
if that happened to me it'd be a coaster, seriously, with the price of a CD-R being, what? like 3 cents each or something? why not burn a new skip-free copy?
Well indeed, but I wouldnt use it for music anyway - but it doesn't seem too bad a problem for data - It's kicked in a couple of times on mine (and bearing in mind I CDRW a couple of CDs a day to take condifdential information between sites) and given that time is the important thing, it's better than getting a coaster and starting the burn process all over again....
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2005, 19:45   #19
Wolfgang
Forum King

I do have a problem with Nero. For some reason I burned a whole bunch of films on CDR and they will only be read by my computer. I can't remember what mode it was, whether ASCII or ISO9008 (or whaterever it is) or Mode 2 (can't remember all the options) and I think I may have had Joliet enabled. But surely if it works in my computer with WinXP Pro is should work in another comp with WinXP Pro.

What's the best mode to burn in so it's compatible with everyone?
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions