Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 20th July 2000, 19:22   #41
peter
ist death

I've found a more simple workaround for this. Open Netscape preferences, go to navigator/applicaions and find WINAMP file with application/x-msdownload, click 'EDIT', clear winamp path under 'handled by' / 'application'.

edit:
I've found that it causes strange things after restarting netscape. When you see 'unknown file type' window, choose 'pick app', leave blank path and click OK.

[This message has been edited by PP (edited July 20, 2000).]
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2000, 19:44   #42
Woolverine

winsane,so youre saying i can just delete the entry for application/x-msdownload?do i delete this by going into the regedit and get rid of it here?
Woolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2000, 19:50   #43
peter
ist death

Deleting references to application/x-msdownload is safe (I've tested it). Netscape will save these files instead of opening after deleting these values. Note that at least one of type## values also point to application/x-msdownload (delete it oo). You can also try deleting WINAMP file with application/x-msdownload MIME type under netscape preferences.
Old 20th July 2000, 19:51   #44
peter
ist death

One more thing: this IS because of Winamp. I've seen "application/x-msdownload" string in both winamp.exe and winampa.exe.
Old 20th July 2000, 19:58   #45
Woolverine

problem solved. exe files are opening normally for me now.thank alot pp,youre a genius. just want to thank you pp and winsane for your support.Ill be in touch if anything else comes up.
woolverine
Woolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2000, 22:18   #46
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

One more thing: If you feel like deleting those VirusScan registry entries, just open regedit, find the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\VirusScan key, right click on "VirusScan", and click on delete.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 01:57   #47
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Gee, you lot have been busy !
I go away for 1 day and, like wow, 20 or so posts later and problem solved.

I must agree with ya Woolverine . . . Winsane and PP certainly are a couple of geniuses for sure !
I'm glad they solved your problem.

BTW, I wouldn't have been able to suss that one out 'cos I uninstalled Netscape ages ago. It leaves a whole heap of keys & strings in the registry afterwards too. I had to manually delete them all to resolve a few conflicts. What a pain that was, believe me !
< IE5.1 Rools OK ! >
< Haven't got 5.5 yet, I've heard there's a fair few bugs ?!? >

Anyway, problem solved . . . yeeharr !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[Edited by Winsane on 01-29-2001 at 04:05 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 02:26   #48
peter
ist death

This is not a problem with netscrape itself. These lame registry keys existed before I installed it first time on my new machine. This seems to be a really stupid bug in Winamp. I repeat: mods, please move this to bug reports.
Old 21st July 2000, 07:54   #49
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

topic moved to bug reports.

it has also been sent to the attention of the guys at nullsoft.
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2000, 00:19   #50
peter
ist death

First, thanks for moving it here. I hope that Nullsoft will pay attention to this problem. I don't think that it's important to make next v2.x that is free of this bug, but I wouldn't like it to be copied to WA3.
There are thousands of computers everywhere that have this reg value set so I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a code that silently removes it. Note that both winamp.exe and winampa.exe seem to contain references to this regkey (full reg path string and value name string).
Reproducing this strange behaviors of netscape is kinda complicated. Only files that have application/x-msdownload MIME type cause it. Netscape itself seems to attach exes as octet-stream or something. These files were probably sent from something else. I haven't been able to make netscape attach exes as app/x-msd and I had to mess with inbox data in order to see what's going on.
Old 21st August 2000, 17:06   #51
guruhobo

I know that this is almost a full month after the last post and the matter seems to have been resolved somewhat, but I found this discussion because I have been having a similar problem. If I try to download an .exe, winamp steps in as a viewing agent. I let it download a whole file once to see what would happen and for my trouble I was rewarded with winamp "playing" the explorer5.5 installer over the speakers. Not pretty. So Ive done what's been sugested here in this discussion and will see if this works for me too.
Old 10th March 2001, 03:26   #52
mjcimolai

Winamp and Netscape mail attachments

I have this same problem except the file extension was doc. I discovered through reading this thread that if I changed the registry key value;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Suffixes, to not have doc in the list, any subsequent email attachments would be fine and will not open with winamp but with Word as .doc files should. I can not understand why winamp has taken over the value listed as; application\x-msdownload. That sounds more like a microsoft application. I have searched the forum and couldn't find anything further to this topic and wondered if there has been any developments on solving this problem. I would like to know if any reference to application\x-msdownload and its associated file extensions could be removed.
mjcimolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2001, 02:06   #53
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Wow! The beast is alive again (referring to this monster thread from 7 months ago)

I'm more inclined to say it's a Netscape bug with the *.DOC association problem, but could have something to do with Winamp being installed when Netscape is the default browser. If so, I'd have thought that this bug would've been well & truly fixed by now.
The easiest solution is offered by PP above & there should be no need to even enter Regedit. It can all be done via Netscape Prefs (see above).
Thank f**k IE doesn't have such settings. Luckily, it's all controlled via Folder Options -> FileTypes, unless Quicktime or RealPlayer have inadvertently intervened with their deep-rooted & inanely intrusive MIME handling default settings.
The old EXE File (application/x-msdownload) bug has been fixed in the newer versions of Winamp . . . I think . . . any confirmation of that . . . PP or anyone?
Though I've noticed that each time I install a Winamp upgrade, a few Netscape related keys are still being created in the Registry, even though I don't have it installed (I uninstalled Netscrape 2 years ago and totally erased all references to it). There really should be some code in the installer that detects whether Netscape is present and, if not, then there should be no need to create these keys & strings whatsoever!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports