Old 9th May 2006, 02:47   #1
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

ps3 controller

bleh sony ALREADY ripped off the rev controller. shipping nov 17 for 500$ for the limited bundle and 600$ complete.

it looks like a plain ps controller but you can move it about to controll just like nintendos new system.

sony really pisses me off sometimes. why cant they think of their own stuff?

-edit- well not quite just like the rev. it cant really point and only moves in six directions. their tag line is that its part of the industry standard controller, and it needs no external sensors.

i sure hope all the dev companies see the bs in this. but i doubt it. sony has littereally shown themselves to be the bully copying off the smart kid's paper and not even getting it right. its especially bs after all the devs and reps for sony talking crap about nintendo's controller.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 04:36   #2
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
ah hem, might I interject with this tid bit.

also it seems as though sony has taken the aint broke dont fix it approach with their controller in that they are reverting back to the original design but have made it lighter, wireless and have removed the vibration function.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 9th May 2006 at 04:57.
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 05:13   #3
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

yes we all know that this is not new technology. however to do it now in a console as a major feature after calling it a gimmick... is still what everyone will label it, being sad and unoriginal.

Old 9th May 2006, 10:25   #4
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

You're an idiot fanboy.

Edit: Ok, I should give you more than that.

You're an idiot fanboy BECAUSE:

Arcade cabinets have been using this for years. Someone better go call the companies that made games like Beachhead 2000 and Police 911 because they're obviously infringing on Nintendo's technology. Even though they've been around for years before the Wii was even announced.
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 19:06   #5
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

im no fan boy. i think by calling me a fan boy you have exposed yourself.

im just whining about something that seems sort of dishonorable. your calling me an idiot because i think it is? you dont have to think its that if you dont want to its up to you. i really dont even care about too much beyond complaining about it annonymously over the internet.

Old 10th May 2006, 00:48   #6
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

I'm just sick of seeing this argument all over the internet. If you think I've exposed myself to anything, I love all consoles and game makers equally for each of their specialties. Even if you aren't a fanboy, making that generic argument still makes you look like an idiot.

This is with all due respect, by the way. I don't think any less of you as a person
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 21:34   #7
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Has Sony done this before?

I typed this up for an LJ comment, but I'm posting it in different places because I don't want it to go to waste.

Nintendo's controllers were the first to feature:

D-pad (NES)
Multiple modern face buttons* (NES) (previous systems generally had only one, or number keys)
Shoulder Buttons (SNES)
The "diamond" arrangement for face buttons (SNES)
The analog stick* (N64)
Rumble Feature (N64)
I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like the N64 was also the first with a "trigger" button

*the "Vectrex" controller had similar features, but the analog stick was more of a miniature joystick, and the face buttons were more arcade-style, rather than the modern style designed to be thumb-controlled

A few other, less specific things:
-The original Playstation controller was very obviously and deliberately modeled after the SNES controller. Like you said, this is almost certainly because Nintendo pissed Sony off, and because Nintendo itself had been working with them on the Playstation at first.
-Sony updated the Playstation controller with analog sticks after the N64 came out, and then updated it again with rumble feature ("Dual Shock") after the N64 Rumble Pack was successful. The dual analog sticks are Sony's big contribution to the evolution, I think.
-The Nintendo Wavebird is almost always referred to as the first "good" wireless controller. It had been attempted many times before, but no one else seems to have gotten it right.
-Nintendo made "Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble," a GBC game featuring a motion sensor, back in 2000.
-See if you can find more for yourself! This chart is especially useful because it illustrates how controllers evolve over time, how they borrow from one another, and also, how Nintendo borrows from others a bit less than the others borrow from Nintendo.

Chart of the Evolution of console game controllers

In summary, look at the chart again, and think about how much of a big surprise it is that there's gonna be a line drawn down from the Wiimote to the PS3 controller now. It's not really "stealing" at all, but it is very much in line with what Sony tends to do.

Am I a Nintendo Fanboy? Yes, yes I am. But don't take my word for it, look at history.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 23:28   #8
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

regardless of all that, im sure there are plenty of examples of tilt what-not being used in all kinds of ways way before nintendo had anything to do with them. i just cant believe there are all these people defending and accepting sony's move. "nintendo should be scared sony just took their trump card" when it should be said that it was sony who was scared of them, or they wouldnt have made that move so hastily.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/09/du...t-last-minute/

it just seems like something a villian would do, considering how that was a such a contrast of their original direction. and im afraid ive never been able to accept that sort of villian es-ness (ocity?). especially after all the negativity i heard about from sony regarding motion controlled video games. i was really hoping sony would be more honest with the way they handled things this time out, but it doesnt seem that way. maybee im just mad after having seen kutaragi leening against the podium all smug. (like all those kids that stole my homework and put their name on it in elementary) or how they tried to pretend it was something new and innovative that they thought of.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.h...toplay=6149525

im still looking forward to playing alot of ps3 games. heavenly sword, naughty dog game, ut2k7... in 5 or 10 years when its pertinent to have one. im sure with that much money you could probably buid a pc that would deliver better graphics and options. the 500 dollar version wont even be able to play blu ray movies.

Old 12th May 2006, 00:36   #9
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I'm pretty sure Sony's controller design team is comprised of the bad guys from the movie Twister.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 01:01   #10
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center