Old 1st September 2007, 23:33   #1
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Bruised TV & Dreaming in Japanese

does anyone know how to get one of those purple metal stains out of a tv? usually whenever you put something with too much metal next to a tv screen you get one of those purpleish, rainbowy, bruises near to where the metal was. this has happened plenty of times before, with all kinds of tvs, and the blemish fades with time. however, i have a certain tv that seems to be the exception. the bruise comes back every time it displays something with a lot of white. especially in the case of when i use it as a monitor for an old pc using a resolution of above 800 x 600. does anyone have any old world joo joo that i can macguyver to shut down this nuisance?

AND does anyone know where i can phonetically translate a japanese word? {i don't have the characters ive just heard the word.}

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 23:47   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

Turn the TV on and off a whole bunch of times. TV's have a built in degaussing coil to get rid of that magnetism on power up. Usually that happens when you get a speaker too close. The magnet in the speaker will do that. Sometimes it might take 2-3 dozen times to fully remove the blur.

If that doesn't work, then it could be that the degauss circuit isn't working. In that case, repair, live with it or discard it. A good sized stereo speaker can magnetize the TV at 2-3 feet, so magnetically shielded speakers or some distance is the cure for that. As far as I've ever seen, speakers are the only thing that cause this problem in modern TV sets.

In the old, old days, TV's had to be degaussed with a degaussing tool at a TV shop because with no degaussing coil the earths magnetism will cause the same thing. Then they started building it in.

Not exactly building a McGyver atomic bomb pen, but it should work.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:23   #3
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Re: Bruised TV & Dreaming in Japanese

Quote:
Originally posted by Omit Name
AND does anyone know where i can phonetically translate a japanese word?
Ask a Japanese person.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:51   #4
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

all the japanese people i know dont know japanese.

Old 2nd September 2007, 03:17   #5
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Hiragana

Katakana

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 23:12   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

http://www.japanese-online.com/
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 04:21   #7
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Turn the TV on and off a whole bunch of times. TV's have a built in degaussing coil to get rid of that magnetism on power up. Usually that happens when you get a speaker too close. The magnet in the speaker will do that. Sometimes it might take 2-3 dozen times to fully remove the blur.

If that doesn't work, then it could be that the degauss circuit isn't working. In that case, repair, live with it or discard it. A good sized stereo speaker can magnetize the TV at 2-3 feet, so magnetically shielded speakers or some distance is the cure for that. As far as I've ever seen, speakers are the only thing that cause this problem in modern TV sets.

In the old, old days, TV's had to be degaussed with a degaussing tool at a TV shop because with no degaussing coil the earths magnetism will cause the same thing. Then they started building it in.

Not exactly building a McGyver atomic bomb pen, but it should work.
can you use a standard audio heada deguasser? if not what is the diff between a standard audio deguasser and one for a tv set.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 04:53   #8
ujay
Forum King

Probably not, it wouldn't cover a large enough area. TV degaussers I've seen used have an active length of about a foot, whereas an audio wand just works at the tip. Field strength may be a factor as well.

Still the same slightly comical performance involved though, dancing the sugar plum fairy while backing away slowly

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 18:23   #9
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Whenever I have that problem, I just take a magnet (but not one that's too strong!) and "drag" the "bruise" off the screen by sliding the magnet across it towards the edge of the screen.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 08:27   #10
Canon

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
Whenever I have that problem, I just take a magnet (but not one that's too strong!) and "drag" the "bruise" off the screen by sliding the magnet across it towards the edge of the screen.
That trick worked for me when that happened to my TV.
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 17:02   #11
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

hazza!!!! if the problem persists after my incessant turning off and on of the television i will indeed risk it for a biskit and commit this macguyver like deed.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions