Old 29th October 2010, 11:58   #1
petchulio

Replay Gain before all other features.

I would just like to reiterate what I put on the feature survey and say that I would like to see Replay Gain supported as one of the first new features coming to Winamp for Android. So far I have found NO Android music app that does this yet. Tired of blowing out my eardrums while working out with my library on shuffle. This would definitely seal the deal on Winamp for Android becoming my absolute only music player on my phone.
petchulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 13:22   #2
nycebo

Not a bad idea but implementation is always a little peculiar. Does it bias to the quieter songs, at which point it is harder to gain volume at the adjusted louder songs, or vice versa? It's the baseline that always seems to screw things up? I guess they could implement a variable gain adjustment that adjusts to neutral/stock levels after every song unless they vary too much.
nycebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 04:39   #3
petchulio

That is a little concern, and I completely understand what you are saying. iTunes' Soundcheck does an AWFUL job leveling the volume of tracks. But, so far Winamp's "Calculate Replay Gain" and then turning it on to go by Track gain seems to work better than any volume leveler I have used to date. I guess it really just depends on what parameters and APIs and all that they can use to implement it on Android. I think if other Android music players have a graphic equalizer then Nullsoft should be able to definitely figure out the Replay Gain levels and how to adjust.
petchulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 03:29   #4
bradsh

Sadly this may be impossible for the moment due to API limitations (just like equalizer may be impossible). The actual playing of music files is generally done through Android APIs, and the NDK is currently... less than desirable for this task due to a lack of support for low latency audio.

If you go here and star this issue, it may be added to a future version of android... maybe
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434

On the other hand, FFmpeg has now been successfully ported to android, so maybe it would be possible with an awful lot of work.
bradsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 07:20   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
RG support is my #1 wish for winamp on android as well.

(408 people starred this issue.)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 22:26   #6
Carbonize

Send a message via ICQ to Carbonize Send a message via AIM to Carbonize Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonize
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh View Post
Sadly this may be impossible for the moment due to API limitations (just like equalizer may be impossible).
Old thread I know but thought I'd revive it. We already have Android music players with equalisers and Replay Gain is just a case of reading the tags and applying preamp if necessary so can't see it being that hard for WinAmp to implement.
Carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 03:17   #7
ykphuah

The android page at the market now says it supports Replay Gain

https://market.android.com/details?i...ullsoft.winamp

But I tested it with my ogg files, seems like its still not, is the feature only implemented for mp3?
ykphuah is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android