Old 17th January 2011, 22:06   #1
BlueToast

Legality of ShoutCast radios?

Greetings,

A friend and I are wanting to run a small private ShoutCast radio available only to premium forum members. What legal concerns or things should we know about and be aware of? The legality of the music streamed? Thanks, we would appreciate some answers and advices!
BlueToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 23:14   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

You need to license the music and play DMCA compliant playlists. Loudcity is the best way I've found so far for small or temporary webcasting. They will sell you licensing and give you guidance about making compliant playlists.

Pay attention to SESAC licensing, so they don't come banging on your door looking for money.

Licensing directly from Soundexchange is not practical for most people. The reporting requirements are one problem. The other is high minimum fees.

Read the rules. Follow them. You shouldn't have a problem.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 20:16   #3
HamsterWheel

for streaming stations playing music in the US,

you'll need licensing from ASCAP/BMI/SESAC unless you can somehow use music only from artists represented by one of those organizations. This royalty is the composer/author/publisher portion.

you also need to pay performance royalty which is administered by SoundExchange, which is the artist portion.

It's not a "either or", you have to pay all 4 organizations if you play music.

-----
Live365 plumber

"Disclaimer - My opinions here are my own, and my legal expertise are suspect at best (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :P"
HamsterWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Tags
dmca, legality, music, riaa, shoutcast