Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 20:41   #361
Aminifu
Forum King

A period or space character is used to separate a filename extension from a filename, depending on the platform being used. To avoid confusion and to ensure maximum cross compatibility, a file or folder name should not end with a period or space character.

Windows will usually ignore a period used this way. Some other systems will flag such use as an error.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 29th May 2013, 20:55   #362
DrO

and a period as a folder name can also cause havoc (as could also happen for a single letter value if it wasn't filtered out), which is why we generically replace anything that can be likely to cause an issue (especially when that code is used for various different portable types which behave differently.

so the fix (which is already in this beta build as per Egg's changelog) is just following what we've been doing since at least 2005 with all of the other parameters used. it might not be ideal, but it's better than what was happening before the fix was applied (which was just missing on that parameter) and what could happen if it wasn't done.

EAC can do whatever it wants to do, within Winamp's portables handling, we have to cover off a lot more than just what is allowed by the Windows file system and doing device specific options for such things isn't what was meant for the system. so as things stand, everything is working correctly.
Old 29th May 2013, 22:13   #363
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I don't have a horse in the race, as I generally try to not use any punctuation in albumartist tags as is, and I absolutely see the POV that says err on the side of caution, but i'm not sure that any portables have a file system less tolerant than what windows uses, re: this kind of thing. the example of an AA tag with just . or .. is a good one, but it could be filtered out as said. of course, going portable back to windows is also a consideration. (a period is an illegal character for the end of a folder name I think)

its not at all a big deal, but it is too bad that R.E.M. will now be R.E.M_ for I assume both folder and filename, at least on the portable. I guess I've always tho been curious as to why the files in question aren't just straight copied as is and then read for info by the portable? why does the xfer process include this interpretive step at all? (meaning read the tags and create folders and filenames based on that?)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 29th May 2013, 23:18   #364
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I guess I've always tho been curious as to why the files in question aren't just straight copied as is and then read for info by the portable? why does the xfer process include this interpretive step at all? (meaning read the tags and create folders and filenames based on that?)
I only use the USB Device Plug-in (pmp_usb.dll). It allows the user to use the files existing filenames or to create new ones using combinations of file tags. The root folder name can also be explicitly declared.

The ability to create a filename on the fly is great for (old & basic) portables that only display the filenames and modern portables that can be configured to only read the filenames.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 5th June 2013, 07:10   #365
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp 5.7 Beta 8, build 3402 (with Winamp Cloud Beta)

Changelog since build 3392

* Fixed: Failing to load on some Windows 8 (and earlier) installs (thanks Nanner)
-- Basically, disabled the bindimage function (dll re-baser/optimizing stage) in the installer...
-- Please let us know if you notice it taking considerably longer for Winamp to load

* Fixed: [in_mp4] Seeking files/podcasts which use a single video frame as artwork

- Made beta builds have a life time of 4 weeks!
-- after which, a nag screen will prompt the user to get the latest build
-- (we're receiving too many reports of crashes from old builds that have already been fixed)

- Made wlz temp folder name more easily identifiable (helps with crash reports)

- Potential album art cache & NowPlaying title change crash fixes (based on crash reports)

- Group together the SEH options on the Plugins prefs page under a "Plug-in Developers" section

- Tweaked "Prefs > Localization" page
-- (New "Miscellaneous" option: "Show Language Packs in a sub-menu on the main right-click menu")

- Fixed: Add/Open URL functionality (was broken from "remember last position" implementation)

- [Winamp / omBrowser] Enable fuller titles in skinned windows for classic skins;
-- Updated gen.bmp to support "-" and ":" (for above)

- [Winamp] Moved the Audio CD option in Prefs > Filetypes into its own section

- [Winamp Setup] Completion of Win8 Filetype Associations page ("w.i.p" removed from line in whatsnew.txt)

- [Winamp / ml_local] Remember position of a few more dialogs (About; Open File; Jump To Time; EQ Presets; Query Editor)

- [ml_rg / ml_transcode / ml_plg] Remember the last position of a few more dialogs...

- [Installer] Remove DrO's gen_os_diag.dll plugin (Ref)

- [in_linein] Crash fix from crash report

- [ml_local / ml_history] Made the F6 hotkey support select the search bar text (was only focusing it)

- [ml_rg] Fixed error in progress percentage calculation on large files (>60mins)

- [ml_pmp / ml_cloud] Remember column sort orders in views

- [ml_pmp] Add F6 hotkey support to focus & select the search bar in views

- [ml_pmp] Added a "Confirm Quit" message when closing Winamp whilst portable/cloud transfers are in progress

- [ml_pmp] New "No compatible files" message (shown when files selected for transfer have already been uploaded or can't be found)

- [ml_pmp] Work on upper panes (cloud icon/status; handling of grouped selections; etc)

- [ml_pmp] New tooltips for upper panes in cloud sources views (All/Some/No tracks playable locally)

- [ml_pmp] Added option for "Cloud Source Display Settings" to "Remember search filters"
-- (Winamp > Prefs > Cloud Library > (Source) > View tab)

- [ml_pmp / ml_cloud] Added 'View' tab to main Cloud Library prefs

- [ml_cloud] Another nuke version bump (please wait for first pull before using Cloud features)

- [ml_cloud] Fixed crash on close on WinXP

- [ml_cloud] Fixed display update issue in Logging tab

- [cloud] Updated sqlite to 3.7.17

- [playlist.w5s/ml_playlists/ml_cloud]
-- Add 'cloud_status' to what's stored in the cloud playlists
-- Enable the cloud icon column in the views
-- Fixed playlists being lost but not re-pulled if the local db indicates no detectable changes
-- Various fixes/tweaks for cloud playlist updates/downloads/removals/renames/caching

- [ml_playlists] Various Cloud Playlists tweaks/fixes

- [ml_playlists] Added "Track available in {source}" & "Upload track to source" menu items

- [ml_playlists] Fixed sporadic crash when dragging to bottom of playlist

- [ml_playlists] Fixed tooltip on playlists root not updating correctly

- [pmp_cloud] Prevent 'All Sources' from appearing on Send to -> Cloud Sources

- Lang packs: Polish (fully updated); German, Portuguese-BR & Japanese (mostly up-to-date), Russian & Turkish (partially updated)

- Updated: [gen_jumpex] JTFE v1.2.6 b1163
-- added a version resource
-- DirectMouseWheel support
-- applied the windowoffscreen fix for the non-skinned version
-- Various other misc fixes

- Updated: msvcr90.dll from 9.0.21022.8 to v9.0.30729.6161

- Updated: [libFLAC] FLAC 1.3.0 (final release)

- Updated: [png] libpng v1.5.16

- Various other misc tweaks, optimizations & fixes etc.
Old 5th June 2013, 08:01   #366
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, I love the albumartist columns now under the cloud things in nav tree. however, when I click "Cloud Sources" a lot of files I have with albumartist tags but missing some other tags, like artist, or having strange values, like ? marks, have the column show no value and/or sort improperly.

EDIT: I still get the weird codes at first as well.

--
Old 5th June 2013, 13:01   #367
Raj_09

Winamp 5.7 Beta 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Winamp 5.7 Beta 8, build 3402 (with Winamp Cloud Beta)

Changelog since build 3392

* Fixed: Failing to load on some Windows 8 (and earlier) installs (thanks Nanner)
-- Basically, disabled the bindimage function (dll re-baser/optimizing stage) in the installer...
-- Please let us know if you notice it taking considerably longer for Winamp to load
(...)
Thanks for the new beta. Winamp did take a lot more time to install when loading the "emusic bundles" and the winamp toolbar options. I thought initially that it was my antivirus acting up.

--Running Windows 8 64 bit with 8gb ram--
Old 5th June 2013, 13:59   #368
Andre.Ziegler

ok, the new version now fixes the ml_disc issues. I can listen to Webradio without crahes.

But, now I get a new crash, when I click on the "add" button inside the playlist to add new files/folders. This time a string operation (CharUpperBuff) fails:

code:

APPLICATION_VERIFIER_MEMORY_THREAD_UNEXPECTED_EXCEPTION (60e)
Unexpected exception raised in thread function.
This stop is generated if a thread function is raising an exception. This
is bad because the whole process will be killed.
To debug this stop:
$ parameter1 might be significant for the type of exception. E.g. an
exception code C0000005 means Access Violation;
$ .exr parameter2 - to display the exception information;
$ .cxr parameter3 followed by kb - to display the exception context information;
Arguments:
Arg1: c0000005, Exception code.
Arg2: 07347e80, Exception record. Use .exr to display it.
Arg3: 07347ed0, Context record. Use .cxr to display it.
Arg4: 00000000, Not used.
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ml_disc.dll -

FAULTING_IP:
KERNELBASE!MinSortChangeCase+b9
7606d757 66391458 cmp word ptr [eax+ebx*2],dx

EXCEPTION_RECORD: 07347e80 -- (.exr 0x7347e80)
ExceptionAddress: 7606d757 (KERNELBASE!MinSortChangeCase+0x000000b9)
ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 2
Parameter[0]: 00000000
Parameter[1]: 0d2f1000
Attempt to read from address 0d2f1000

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: STATUS_BREAKPOINT

PROCESS_NAME: winamp.exe

CONTEXT: 07347ed0 -- (.cxr 0x7347ed0)
eax=0d271030 ebx=0003ffe8 ecx=0003ffe9 edx=0000d801 esi=00000000 edi=00040000
eip=7606d757 esp=07348334 ebp=07348348 iopl=0 nv up ei ng nz na pe cy
cs=0023 ss=002b ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00010287
KERNELBASE!MinSortChangeCase+0xb9:
7606d757 66391458 cmp word ptr [eax+ebx*2],dx ds:002b:0d2f1000=????
Resetting default scope

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0x80000003 - {AUSNAHME} Haltepunkt Im Quellprogramm wurde ein Haltepunkt erreicht.

EXCEPTION_CODE: (HRESULT) 0x80000003 (2147483651) - Mindestens ein Argument ist ung ltig.

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER1: 00000000

NTGLOBALFLAG: 2000100

APPLICATION_VERIFIER_FLAGS: 48004

APP: winamp.exe

READ_ADDRESS: 0d2f1000

FOLLOWUP_IP:
winamp+31310
00431310 8b0d38034c00 mov ecx,dword ptr [winamp!plstring_retain+0x131b8 (004c0338)]

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 7606d6a8 to 7606d757

FAULTING_THREAD: ffffffff

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: STATUS_BREAKPOINT

BUGCHECK_STR: APPLICATION_FAULT_STATUS_BREAKPOINT

STACK_TEXT:
07348334 7606d757 kernelbase!MinSortChangeCase+0xb9
07348350 7606d6a8 kernelbase!SortChangeCase+0xce
07348388 7606d5f0 kernelbase!LCMapStringEx+0x1b2
073483bc 76074f68 kernelbase!CharUpperBuffW+0x2b
073483f8 00431310 winamp+0x31310
07348830 00412f66 winamp+0x12f66
07348dd4 0044588f winamp+0x4588f
0734c8b0 778dc187 ntdll!RtlpValidateHeap+0x21

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 07347ED0 ; kb ; dps 7348334 ; kb

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 4

SYMBOL_NAME: winamp+31310

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: winamp

IMAGE_NAME: winamp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 51acf1bc

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: STATUS_BREAKPOINT_80000003_winamp.exe!Unknown

BUCKET_ID: APPLICATION_FAULT_STATUS_BREAKPOINT_winamp+31310

WATSON_STAGEONE_URL: http://watson.microsoft.com/StageOne/winamp_exe/5_7_0_3402/51acf1bc/verifier_dll/6_2_9200_16384/5010ae19/80000003/0000c121.htm?Retriage=1

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

0:001> lmvm winamp
start end module name
00400000 00638000 winamp (export symbols) winamp.exe
Loaded symbol image file: winamp.exe
Image path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Multimedia\Winamp\winamp.exe
Image name: winamp.exe
Timestamp: Mon Jun 03 21:42:52 2013 (51ACF1BC)
CheckSum: 00230B4D
ImageSize: 00238000
File version: 5.7.0.3402
Product version: 5.7.0.3402
File flags: 28 (Mask 3F) Private Special
File OS: 40004 NT Win32
File type: 2.0 Dll
File date: 00000000.00000000
Translations: 0409.04b0
CompanyName: Nullsoft, Inc.
ProductName: Winamp
InternalName: WINAMP
OriginalFilename: Winamp.exe
ProductVersion: 5.7.0.3402
FileVersion: 5.7.0.3402
PrivateBuild: Release|Win32
SpecialBuild: 5.7.0 Beta, Build 3402 BETA_2013_0603_191026
FileDescription: Winamp
LegalCopyright: Copyright © 1997-2013 Nullsoft, Inc.
LegalTrademarks: Nullsoft and Winamp are trademarks of Nullsoft, Inc.
Comments: Visit http://www.winamp.com/ for updates.

Old 5th June 2013, 15:17   #369
lostinsound

When running the replay gain analyzer, after all the tracks are analyzed the 'Cancel' button seems to be non-functional. The 'Save as Album' and 'Save Track Data' buttons seem to work fine but when I click on Cancel nothing happens.

I hadn't tried to click Cancel in a while so I'm not sure if this is new to this beta or if it happened in previous versions. I'm almost certain in worked fine in 5.63.

Windows 7, Modern skin (it also happens in Bento)
Old 5th June 2013, 15:30   #370
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
ok, I love the albumartist columns now under the cloud things in nav tree. however, when I click "Cloud Sources" a lot of files I have with albumartist tags but missing some other tags, like artist, or having strange values, like ? marks, have the column show no value and/or sort improperly.

EDIT: I still get the weird codes at first as well.
How many songs have you transferred to Cloud?

I hate to suggest it, but the best thing you could probably do is nuke everything and start again.
I had to do it a few months back to resolve some seemingly unresolvable issues,
issues which had arisen due to bugs in the early beta builds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_09 View Post
Thanks for the new beta. Winamp did take a lot more time to install when loading the "emusic bundles" and the winamp toolbar options. I thought initially that it was my antivirus acting up.

You're welcome :-)

The dll rebaser feature of the installer that we've disabled was the part where it used to say "Optimizing...",
right at the end of the installer (i.e. after the "Get the Most out of Winamp" page, but before the Beta readme and Setup dialogs appeared).

It used to bind DLLs in the Winamp folder to winamp.exe, which was supposed to help overall loading speeds
(ie. when running Winamp itself, not the installer).
More info

Apparently, it didn't play too nicely with some 3rd-party plugins & libraries...

It shouldn't bear any effect on the options on the "Get the Most out of Winamp" page.
Did you keep all those things checkmarked? (Toolbar/Search/Emusic)
Or was it the actual page itself which was taking a while to load?
All of those items are stored serverside, so yes, it depends on things like server response at the time, security software, etc etc.

@lostinsound

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce any problem there. The Cancel button for the ReplayGain results dialog is working ok for me.
It could be something to do with the "Save last position" implementation...?
(just noticed that last position is remembered for the Calculating RG dialog, but not for the Results dialog).

@Andre.Ziegler

Big long post alert :-D
I'll leave that one for DrO
(although I personally can't reproduce any problem when using the Playlist > Add -> Add Files button)
Old 5th June 2013, 20:04   #371
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
How many songs have you transferred to Cloud?

I hate to suggest it, but the best thing you could probably do is nuke everything and start again.
I had to do it a few months back to resolve some seemingly unresolvable issues,
issues which had arisen due to bugs in the early beta builds...
just a few, as I anticipated this scenario.

so, please just tell me the correct, step by step procedure to nuke things. do I ONLY have to do it within prefs? what button[s] do I hit, and in what order, and where are they?

--
Old 5th June 2013, 20:41   #372
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Stubborn SoB here testing like a PEBCAK ID-10T user. Current 3402 beta.

1\ Nice to see that Winamp Installer nags you to close the running version of Winamp. Any chance you can just pump a close message at Winamp via Windows Messaging for the truly stubborn idiot who refuses to close Winamp? Could have a button on that dialog to do it? (Or does the <ignore> implement a cattle prod to the delicates? That should work...)

2\ Nice to see the "Explore item(s) folder" on the playlist menu. Any chance of a "not found" reply? I have a playlist with three instances in it where I get zero response.
a\ An online stream (which is not available any more)
b\ Tracks that have been deleted from my hard disk.
c\ Tracks on my server but the server is not logged in.

Winamp didn't crash or hang on the above. It just did nothing... which would confuse some ID-10T users. A message box which pops up and says something like "I pity da fool who tried to look for something that ain't there..."

On a slightly connected thread... have you seen the weird final page in the "official" release installer? It attempts to confuse the user into installing AVG's TuneUp Utility 2013. But the text is wrong and the tick boxes are just plain naughty as to how they work.

First the Ts and Cs bit needs you to "Press next to accept"... but the button is labelled install. (Someone get the lawyer out of his box). And second... there really is a very naughtily confused set of ticks and hoops you have to jump through to NOT get this junk. You have to choose "Custom install" and then the only option in "custom" is to untick the option to install it.

I know the Winamp Devs have little control over these extras... but there is a point that the people designing that page need to think about their average users who will get confused with this option page. Very weasily done.

(No need for reply... this is more a post for thought.... I'm signing off for the evening as bored of computers for the day....)
Old 6th June 2013, 11:42   #373
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
just a few, as I anticipated this scenario.

so, please just tell me the correct, step by step procedure to nuke things. do I ONLY have to do it within prefs? what button[s] do I hit, and in what order, and where are they?
Winamp > Prefs > Cloud Library > Options tab: Reset Cloud Library button

Confirm

Close Prefs

You then might need to logout & login again (via SignIn node in ML), and start again from scratch.

Your Cloud account should be automatically recognized (after logging in);
Your pc/local library should be automatically added
(you'll need to wait for the full scan to complete, and the "first pull completed" message to appear in Logging tab);
Winamp Storage view & Cloud web player will be empty - until you transfer songs again...
Old 6th June 2013, 14:26   #374
B3H3M0T

i found a little trouble when
send too.. >> Calculate Replay Gain

when i try calculate and when i try to cancel or try to close it, because i calculate a wrong music and it does not work

i use lastest beta build Run on OS Win XP 32 bit

and umm i want to ask, will all equalizer preset will got an update bcause when i hear a lossless flac audio when i try all preset there no good preset i found except Flat preset
Old 9th June 2013, 20:36   #375
harimenon89

@lostinsound...i can reproduce it..i have to end task winamp from Task Manager

The Cancel button isnt working when i calculate replay gain from Playlist Editor...Using Latest Beta 8 3402!

Hari
Old 9th June 2013, 21:44   #376
lostinsound

Quote:
@lostinsound

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce any problem there. The Cancel button for the ReplayGain results dialog is working ok for me.
(just noticed that last position is remembered for the Calculating RG dialog, but not for the Results dialog).
That's strange. I tried it in Safe Mode and it didn't work then either. I also ran the installer for the last build (3392), and the Cancel button worked fine in that one.
Old 11th June 2013, 08:15   #377
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Winamp > Prefs > Cloud Library > Options tab: Reset Cloud Library button

Confirm

Close Prefs

You then might need to logout & login again (via SignIn node in ML), and start again from scratch.

Your Cloud account should be automatically recognized (after logging in);
Your pc/local library should be automatically added
(you'll need to wait for the full scan to complete, and the "first pull completed" message to appear in Logging tab);
Winamp Storage view & Cloud web player will be empty - until you transfer songs again...
Egg,

I followed these directions precisely, and everything is the same, meaning I have the same problems, and the 3 items I previously had uploaded are STILL there. it feels as if nothing happened, but something seemed to be happening, as it took a while to finish.

so, i'm at a loss, what do you suggest?

--
Old 11th June 2013, 11:28   #378
DrO

Quote:
@lostinsound

there were a few quirks with this when the save position changes were made which slipped through. it should all be resolved as part of the next labs build including not all instances of the results dialog being remembered.

Quote:
That's strange. I tried it in Safe Mode and it didn't work then either. I also ran the installer for the last build (3392), and the Cancel button worked fine in that one.
safe mode wouldn't have any effect on this as that only blocks 3rd party plug-ins (e.g. gen_jumpex.dll is not loaded in safe mode), not failings within the native plug-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimenon89 View Post
@lostinsound...i can reproduce it..i have to end task winamp from Task Manager
if you get the main right-click menu to appear, then 'exit' on that will work to close Winamp properly without blowing it out of the water as you're doing.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:41   #379
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
1\ Nice to see that Winamp Installer nags you to close the running version of Winamp. Any chance you can just pump a close message at Winamp via Windows Messaging for the truly stubborn idiot who refuses to close Winamp? Could have a button on that dialog to do it? (Or does the <ignore> implement a cattle prod to the delicates? That should work...)
force closing Winamp can cause other issues and so it's better to just not allow the install process until it's confirmed it has closed. but a fair point and something that will likely be looked at later the next time we need to make an noticeable changes to the installer.

Quote:
2\ Nice to see the "Explore item(s) folder" on the playlist menu. Any chance of a "not found" reply? I have a playlist with three instances in it where I get zero response.
a\ An online stream (which is not available any more)
b\ Tracks that have been deleted from my hard disk.
c\ Tracks on my server but the server is not logged in.

Winamp didn't crash or hang on the above. It just did nothing... which would confuse some ID-10T users. A message box which pops up and says something like "I pity da fool who tried to look for something that ain't there..."
it had been there for years if you were using the Essentials Pack, was just worded differently when it was done via the FFOD plug-in instead of natively.

alas the OS API used for it doesn't indicate a difference without us having to do extra processing on what is being parsed to determine what may or may not open correctly in Explorer window(s).

Quote:
First the Ts and Cs bit needs you to "Press next to accept"... but the button is labelled install.
i'm not seeing the next vs install thing you mention... a screenshot maybe?

Quote:
And second... there really is a very naughtily confused set of ticks and hoops you have to jump through to NOT get this junk. You have to choose "Custom install" and then the only option in "custom" is to untick the option to install it.
on the components page, tap the up arrow to get the appropriate install type.

Quote:
I know the Winamp Devs have little control over these extras... but there is a point that the people designing that page need to think about their average users who will get confused with this option page. Very weasily done.
no comment indeed
Old 11th June 2013, 11:43   #380
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3H3M0T View Post
and umm i want to ask, will all equalizer preset will got an update bcause when i hear a lossless flac audio when i try all preset there no good preset i found except Flat preset
the presets will not be updated as there's no reason to do so. they're just there as something to base things from and if it's better for you when it's disabled, then that means you've got you audio setup properly - using the EQ is really for dealing with limitations in either specific audio formats or audio hardware issues e.g. headphones with limited range, etc.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:51   #381
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_09 View Post

as Egg also explained, the optimising changes don't have any effect on those pages which are server-side dependent.

the aim of the optimising stage is to improve loading times by preventing the OS having to move the plug-in dlls around more in memory than is needed when loading (which on older systems could be noticeable). however, it seems that there are cases where the OS API used for doing this can effectively corrupt the dlls causing Winamp to not load (along with it messing up most non-MSVC compiled dlls).

so until / if we can determine what is causing the OS API to mess up the native dlls, it's better to risk slightly slower loading times (potentially on older machines) vs Winamp just not loading at all. as there's been other changes to loading handling over the years since that was introduced which help as well. as from testing in a resource crippled virtual machine, there was no noticeable difference in loading time between the optimised and non-optimised installs (though that doesn't mean it may not be at complete odds for others).
Old 11th June 2013, 11:59   #382
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
force closing Winamp can cause other issues and so it's better to just not allow the install process until it's confirmed it has closed. but a fair point and something that will likely be looked at later the next time we need to make an noticeable changes to the installer.
I didn't mean a "forced" close. I just mean send the WM_CLOSE message into the message loop. (Rusty memory... is it WM_CLOSE or what ever the message is when you press the EXIT button in the application)

Quote:
alas the OS API used for it doesn't indicate a difference without us having to do extra processing on what is being parsed to determine what may or may not open correctly in Explorer window(s).
Okay... if it causes extra work it isn't needed. Just idle thoughts from me. I make constant use of the version of this in the main Media Library, but never clicked it before on the Playlist as I didn't realise that is what "Jump To File" meant. ARF!! I assumed it was going to make my PC jump up and down in time with the music after installing one of those hydraulic suspension systems....

Quote:
i'm not seeing the next vs install thing you mention... a screenshot maybe?
This only happens on the RELEASE version. Not the beta. I have attached an image of the message box. Notice the very small grey print which refers to the EULA mentions NEXT instead of INSTALL. Therefore it is techncially impossible to "agree" to the EULA and Privacy Policy.

Quote:
on the components page, tap the up arrow to get the appropriate install type.
I am not talking about your Winamp installer options. I was talking about the weasel options on the crudware page. See screenshot for example. Only once you put that tick on the Custom Installation option do you realise that this thing is optional. A dialog box designed by a marketing person aimed at idiot lusers - but please don't comment on that as that is just my personal opinion. (You may notice I don't have much of an opinion of marketing people...)

I am not trying to set off a debate about crudware as I understand why it is there. But any crudware that kicks off a warning from McaFee will be loosing Winamp customers and damaging reputation. IMHO I think it also needs to at least be worded correctly to enable potential users to make correct decisions. At least treating users with some level of respect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weasels.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	50575  
Old 11th June 2013, 12:07   #383
DrO

yeah it is a WM_CLOSE message, but as i found from the JTFE installer over the years, doing that causes some other plug-ins to baulk and then Winamp doesn't close properly (even if it can close ok when done via the user). hence it's easier to just nag to close but not do it - it also can get messy if say a podcast is downloading and the ok to quit prompt doesn't fire correctly as could happen on some older versions.

oh ok, is from the bundled stuff, thought it was something within our own pages, alas that's part of the OpenCandy 'fun' and is by design meant to be weasly to get people to install the stuff (which i don't like either, but sadly, installs via that do help pay the bills though i do agree at the cost of users either updating or continuing to use Winamp).

With the eula thing, it's likely a simple mis-match between the default wording in NSIS installers and what we do. have made a note to check it out when we do a final build (but has likely been like it for years and years and years ).
Old 11th June 2013, 12:15   #384
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
yeah it is a WM_CLOSE message, but as i found from the JTFE installer over the years, doing that causes some other plug-ins to baulk and then Winamp doesn't close properly (even if it can close ok when done via the user). hence it's easier to just nag to close but not do it - it also can get messy if say a podcast is downloading and the ok to quit prompt doesn't fire correctly as could happen on some older versions.
AH... it's always them pesky plugins. You have the sensible option - pass the buck to the user. (And I promise not to now go and be a stubborn little tester and press ignore... as no doubt chaos will ensue...)

Quote:
oh ok, is from the bundled stuff.....
Anything that pays the bills is good. Us seasoned users are used to the tick boxes in products. Just someone may need to shout at McaFee to stop them issuing bogus malware alerts on the embedded AVG installer. (See the other thread about this)

I only picked up on the wording of the "click NEXT" thing as my eyes are in full-on pedantic testing\proof reading mode.

I did have a bit of a chuckle as the description of TuneUp Utilities and how it will "help make sure your computer is running to full capacity". Which is, at least honest. The way I read that is it fills the PC up with crud to the top instead of making it more efficient.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:37   #385
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre.Ziegler View Post
now I get a new crash, when I click on the "add" button inside the playlist to add new files/folders. This time a string operation (CharUpperBuff) fails:
should be fixed as well for the next labs build.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:43   #386
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
I am not sure how I made this happen. But all of a sudden my phone showed up twice. (see screen shot)
I can remove each of them individually and then close Winamp and when I open it again just one phone shows up. (Still haven't installed my VPN)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	50576  
Old 11th June 2013, 17:30   #387
ryerman
Major Dude

Hi Batter Pudding
Quote:
...I make constant use of the version of this in the main Media Library, but never clicked it before on the Playlist as I didn't realise that is what "Jump To File" meant.....
Maybe you're confusing "Jump to file" with "Find file(s) on disk" (FFOD)
"Jump to file" works on Playlist entries within Winamp. It became a native plug-in.

I believe that FFOD was only available for the Playlist if the 3rd party (DrO) plugin was installed.
Apparently, it has now become native and reworded to "Explore item(s) folder" on the menu.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	'Jump to File' and 'Find file(s) on disk'.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	50584  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
Old 11th June 2013, 17:41   #388
DrO

FFOD had only been adding the menu item for a few years as the core of the plug-in had already been rolled into Winamp natively since 5.58 (though the plug-in provided the core on older 5.5x installs).

when i killed my plug-ins, changing the wording of the FFOD menu item to be the same as other parts of the library, etc made sense to do, hence how it is now.

and JTFE i still treat like a 3rd party plug-in (despite it having been included in Winamp longer than a lot of the other plug-ins and sits on the fence of being 1st party) since it's still under my sole ownership and so i decided not to make it be loaded under 5.7's safe mode (which is only for 100% Nullsoft plug-ins).
Old 11th June 2013, 18:23   #389
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ah... now I get it. So "Jump to disk file found on explorer" is nothing to do with NASA's shuttles or bad car suspension. And I have been confusing two different features over the years.

I have only been using Winamp for 15 years so don't know all the features yet. It's a media player with so may different user's requests added. I just play albums... but am looking for the "Make me a cuppa" add-on.

I'll play with Jumping Files when I next get five mins. I can see it is for making temporary "play these tracks next" playlists from the main playlist. Clever. And insanely customisable!

I can tell how old it must be as a plugin as now I start it the dialog box is tiny - designed for tiny old screens of the past. Have you considered making it a little bit bigger so the text fits on the buttons?

(Quickly ducks and runs before crockery is thrown at me by DrO....)
Old 14th June 2013, 00:30   #390
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo1104 View Post
I have found 2 problems using Beta 7:

1) Graphic Bug (see Attachment): The grey area between the playlist in the library and the active playlist hasn't been there in Beta 5/6. Thus i can't see the number of songs and the playtime of a saved playlist anymore.
As DrO already said, I had fixed the issue already in one of the Winamp-de-de.wlz updates.
Old 14th June 2013, 00:33   #391
DrO

which is present in build 3402
Old 14th June 2013, 07:46   #392
harimenon89

@Dro...I am unable to exit through the normal way... The replay gain window wont close unless i click save track data..the cancel button wont respond and it remains in a "Always on Top" state...

Hari
Old 14th June 2013, 10:37   #393
DrO

then don't use the feature until a newer build is released. I only mentioned what worked for me with a classic skin but it'd also depend on the skin and where you started it from. either way it's fixed internally for the next build.
Old 15th June 2013, 06:07   #394
harimenon89

Ohh Cool Thanks

Hari
Old 16th June 2013, 08:30   #395
molecular

If you turn off Windows with working Winamp, then OS will be a long shutdown referring to Winamp.
I`m using Windows 8, x64. Winamp 5.7 Build 3402 Beta (x86).
Please, solve the problem.

And, please window do "About" over main form Winamp or on top of all window. This will be very convenient.
Old 16th June 2013, 12:03   #396
DrO

you need to provide a plug-ins list to determine what else you may have in your Winamp install as a plain Winamp install should not normally take so long to cause Windows to list it like that.

I'm not following the point about the About dialog as that's what it already does on first display before it now reappears in its last position.
Old 16th June 2013, 12:09   #397
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Just installed the latest beta on top of the previous beta. Two issues spotted:

First - TWO Downloads folder (podcasts)

Usually my Downloads Folder is off-set underneath "Podcast Directory". Today I also have another one popping up lower down between Online Services and Winamp Add-Ons.

Not sure if this was there on a previous install.

Just combed through the Preferences. I thought there was some setting about this somewhere, but can't find it.

ARGH! Update.... Just exited Winamp after the first run since installation and now there is just the one Downloads folder again. And it is not under the Podcast Directory where is logically should live.

=-=-=

BUG number two: I use an ancient classic skin (Nucleo_Nlog_v102). Opened the Media Library window. Opened the "Online Services" page. This launced the built in browser window to show Online Services choices on the website. While this was displaying, I selected Preferences. Z-Order then failed as the Preferences Dialog briefly flashed on screen and then was hidden behind the Media Library window. Cannot access it as each time I try and grab it, the main Media Library window is forced back on top.

Note that this does not happen with other sections of Media Library. Those pages allow the Preferences window to sit on top. Only the Browser based pages are doing this (Online Services and Winamp Add-Ons).
Old 16th June 2013, 13:50   #398
molecular

Window "About Winamp" is behind the main window. It it isn`t very convenient.
I installed the other plugins. Sorry, i forgot.

Could you do format support '*.cue'?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winamp.png
Views:	281
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	50611   Click image for larger version

Name:	plugins.png
Views:	178
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	50612  
Old 16th June 2013, 16:47   #399
DrO

molecular: will look into the about window thing though do you have always on top enabled. also a full plug-ins list from koopa's info tool is what I meant than taking screenshots of the pages.

cue support is on the wish list but no one wanted it badly enough when I offered to do it for a small charge in 2010 so it's not been considered since. maybe that will be looked at again as something to add post 5.7.

Batter Pudding: the double download window is something that crops up every now and then and despite looking into it a while back (so at least it didn't make things crash) I think there's an odd timing issue on loading which can cause it to happen.

though it shouldn't have caused the placement to have changed (which is a hidden INI entry I don't remember at the moment). is probably something we should expose in the preferences as it helps de-clutter the tree a bit since it was intended as a general place for downloads to be viewed though is primarily used by the podcast support.

not quite following the second part though will see what I can replicate when I'm not doing replies on the phone.
Old 16th June 2013, 17:05   #400
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Hi DrO

The Downloads folder only appeared twice on the first run after reinstall on top of older beta. On second, and subsequent runs, I am back to just one instance.

It feels as if on the first run it read my choice of position (under Podcast Directory) and ALSO then puts it on the left hand side on its own. Hence two copies appearing.

Then when it saved the setting it has now decided to only have it on its own (Not under Podcast Directory).

I am pretty sure I haven't seen it go walkies on any other previous beta.

IMHO that seems like some kind of issue when the setting is written out to that hidden ini file setting.

-=-=-
Bonus - I didn't know you could drag the sections around on the left hand side... nice.
-=-=-
=-=-=-

The second issue is easier that I described.

1\ Open Winamp and select a Classic Skin.
2\ Select the Online Services or Winamp Add-Ons
3\ Open Preferences (CTRL+P or Right Click menu)
4\ Preferences now BEHIND the main winamp windows and cannot be accessed.

This feels like something in that browser type window is insisting on being on-top.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion