Old 12th November 2005, 20:19   #1
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Mario Kart DS

I thought I'd start a thread for this game specifically, where, among other things, people with the game can post their "friend codes" to play against each other online... maybe. The game comes out in a couple of days here, but I won't get to buy it until next weekend... Anyway, the other reason for starting a thread was that more and more awesome gameplay videos are showing up online, so if anyone has seen any that I haven't, post the links here!
MarioKart.com - The "pit row," courses, and ways to play sections all have several videos
IGN's review - 9.5 out of 10! Check out their video section too.
I can't wait for this game!

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 20:35   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

You'll have to wait for the 25th for me to join in, luckily however I have the 25th off work, followed by the weekend and then 3 days off at the beginning of the following week, but I'm reved up and ready to go, my copy is preordered at GAME and I've been brushing up on MarioKart GBA and Double Dash, I'm still crap though
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 21:59   #3
xenosomething
Major Dude

does anyone know if buying a wireless router is better than the nintendo wifi connector?

the routers cost a little more but will have other uses...do i need a wireless card in my comp for that?

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 22:35   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

* sgtfuzzbubble99 needs to buy a DS first...

:[
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 22:38   #5
LuigiHann
Forum King

Toward the end of the month they're gonna sell a DS + Mariokart bundle. It's $150 altogether, which is the price I payed for my DS by itself. >_<

Old 13th November 2005, 00:14   #6
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

the little usb nintendo router only cost 34 bucks though. and its easy as hell.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2005, 00:26   #7
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just like me.
Old 15th November 2005, 03:10   #8
LuigiHann
Forum King

You can make a decal in the game for the front of your kart. It even shows up when you play online. Mine will look like this:

You can make your own with this crappy program
http://www.zsivanys.nl/mkdecal/ but of course you'll have to recreate it on the DS with the stylus, but doing it first on the computer creates a handy guide.

Old 15th November 2005, 04:22   #9
xenosomething
Major Dude

great...now watch me get obsessed with how my decal looks.

you know i spent a couple hours in castlevania:DoS just entering my "name" when starting a new game. it forces you to draw something rather than typing in something as the rest in the series does. and once you make one it wont let you change it so i made damn sure i was going to be happy with it.

...i also hate rpgs with a hero you have to name yourself.

.........?.
Old 15th November 2005, 04:40   #10
LuigiHann
Forum King

I named Link "You doof" in OoT the first time I played it. Since then I name all my characters "Macky". Don't ask. If there's room, I'm gonna name myself "LuigiHann" in MKDS.

Old 16th November 2005, 16:20   #11
LuigiHann
Forum King

Talking Ideas for a decal

VG Cats

Old 17th November 2005, 01:26   #12
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

WTF?
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 03:16   #13
LuigiHann
Forum King

Heh. That's classic.

I made another decal. I'm not sure which I'm going to use first... I hope you can save more than one to the cart? Like in animal crossing? I'd hate to go through the whole process of drawing one and then have to delete it to do another.

Old 17th November 2005, 04:04   #14
xenosomething
Major Dude

you cant have more than one. and the one you make is automatically applied to *ALL* karts. you also have no control where the "emblem" goes(it placed diferently on each kart)

but you can activate and deactive the emblem without erasing the one you have.

and i must say that using the L/R shoulder buttons sucks on the ds...

.........?.
Old 17th November 2005, 04:22   #15
LuigiHann
Forum King

Dang, that's what I was afraid of. Ah well.
I'm curious to see what you came up with for a decal, Xeno, especially under the pressure of only being able to make one... But perhaps I'll wait until I race you online
I'll get the game friday, but I don't know when I'll be able to get online yet. Might have to find a McDonalds.

Old 17th November 2005, 04:57   #16
xenosomething
Major Dude

i haven't made one yet, i think im just going to make a starman. my favorite mario item.

i dont know when im getting online either, sometime soon though. but i already have wifi losses on my card already...single-card multi counts toward you record and my little brother beat me 8 in a row with a frickin shy guy.

.........?.
Old 25th November 2005, 15:27   #17
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

So, anyone online yet? I am, friend code ready for anyone who wants some ass kicking
Old 25th November 2005, 22:58   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

One of these days I'll buy a DS...
Old 26th November 2005, 07:43   #19
LuigiHann
Forum King

I was able to get online at a friend's house the other night, it was quite a bit of fun. Made me realize just how bad I am at this game, relative to the rest of the world. I think I should be able to get on with my college's wi-fi when I go back next week.

Old 26th November 2005, 08:56   #20
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Hmmm, it's not all it's cracked up to be, after struggling to get it to see my router, 2 hours worth of tweaking around finally got it online, I'm unable to complete a full set of races, I get disconnected from the service usually at somepoint during the 3rd race / beginning of the 4th

Happens without fail every single time.

I've arsed around with the router some more, lowered the TX rate , because the DS can only handle really really low rates.

Tried support...

nintendowifi.co.uk isn't even up yet!, went to nintendowifi.com and checked the support forums there and found dozens of thread from people with exactly the same problem.

The error code it throws out according to nintendo is caused by 'outside interferance', crap, the wifi signal remains at full strength, router remains up etc etc.

The only contstant in all this is that it appears to cut off exactly 10 minutes after first connection to the WFC, coincedence?

So, it's either bedding in problems with the service in the UK, I've got router problems, unlikely as I've rarely had any connection issues with this over the last two years or some other mystery condition to which nintendo are not talking about.

I'd try it with a nintendo USB adaptor, but can I find one in the UK?????????
Old 15th December 2005, 09:10   #21
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

So, is anyone actually online?, I wanna challenge someone

Finally got my Mario working online after farting around for two weeks with my router I gave up, seems as if it's just not compatible, so bought a dongle off ebay and worked first time out of the box so I'm online and racing !!

What's wierd though is I plug the dongle into my laptop, which in turn uses a wifi lan card that get's it's internet connectivity from the exact same router that my DS refuses to play with.....
Old 15th December 2005, 14:16   #22
LuigiHann
Forum King

Heh. Well, that's what adapters are for...
I think I'll have to buy one as well, I can't find any compatible hotspots here at school. Too bad.

Old 15th December 2005, 14:43   #23
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

What is narking me though is the support from Nintendo in the UK is absolutely appalling....

The wifi UK site didn't launch on the day of the game, went live about 10 days later...
The site only listed about 6 brands of router, completely missing off some of the popular brand names, like Belkin for instance.
The 'recommended router comparison list' still isn't working on the site
The support forums over at nintendo Europe were proving to be of some help, they then took them off-line for over a week while they did some 'upgrades', when they returned they don't seem any different, except the word filter appears to be stronger than before S**T!

I emailed Nintendo in the Uk about the error message I was getting , they had the balls to tell me my router was supported and shouldn't have any problems, despite the fact that no where in the uk web site, or US one for that matter, was it to be found, they went on to tell me they had no issues with an off the shelf router, they neglected to mention what router that was, helpful I don't think.

I've been around and around with settings on it as have lots of people who have the same router, same issues, disconnection every ten minutes from the WFC

So I thought, ok, lets get a dongle, can you find a dongle in a UK highstreet game shop?, can you hell, apparently according to Nintendo, no retail outlets bought any and there are piles and piles of them sat in nintendo Europe's warehouse, the only people who bought them were amazon or play.com, who sold out on day one and are awaiting new stocks, fair enough the high street retailers didn't think to order any, but did nintendo actually bother to say 'hey, look you are ordering 1000 copies of Mario Kart, there is a good chance some of these users might want to play on line and might need this dongle'

Of course this is leading to a situation on ebay with people selling them for twice as much as they are worth, luckily I got mine from a guy I've dealt with in the past so no rip offs here..

As mentioned, worked out the box and off I went, just narks me that it's taking the same path as connecting directly to the router.

The service in the UK is just a joke, it all smacks of being rushed and not tested to the extreme,but to follow up with little or no back up service after the event is worse, look on any official or non official nintendo site at the amount of people who are having..router problems, problems installing the dongle, problems using public hotspots and then ask yourself how easy this was all supposed to be.

When it works it's been great, getting it to work however is a different kettle of fish..

Lets look at some of these problems, half of them stem from how nintendo have configured the DS , TX speed of 2mbps or lower?, most routers work up much higher than that with no way or locking in a lower TX rate, and even if they can why the hell should you compromise the rest of your network to accommodate that? WEP encryption? c'mon, no one in their right mind would use WEP to protect a wireless network, I can find you a cracking guide to it in about 5 minutes on the web, why they didn't go for WPA is beyond me, and check out the ports it's using UDP > All open ! haha, nice one, lets see you do that from behind a university firewall, if you can convince your network admins to open all UDP ports I will eat my DS with a nice green salad, as always they have tried to make the format as difficult and proprietary as possible in only ways nintendo can to the detriment of the user, my mate came around with his PSP and bang, he was online and running off my wireless router in about 2 minutes.

And don't even get me started on software release dates, nice you guys have animal crossing out now, we only have to wait until march / April time for our version.........

If my DS hadn't been a gift from Mrs Jones I'd have probably ditched it by now....
Old 15th December 2005, 18:19   #24
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

you sound quite fustrated jones. too bad. either the uk branch of nintendo isnt as serious as the us one or nintendo isnt as serious about the uk branch. alot of the kids that ive seen talk about the wifi sound really satisfied that it was easy. perhaps wireless routers and such have different standards and such on your side of the pond. im sure everything will catch up and even out soon enough.

they havent realeased tony hawk either? or are you not a tony hawk player?

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 18:37   #25
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the gameplay side of thing, despite being totaly shit at it

Just read a thread on the euro nintendo forums about some guy who rang tech support in the uk, he got the following assorted responses...

"You have too much equipment, try turning some of it off?" "You must have a firewall, try turning it off"
"You need to upgrade your router's firmware
"Perhaps your router is just too fast for the DS."

Those are laughable and just indicate a badly designed system, turn off your firewall?, c'mon what kind of advice is that. Your router is too fast?,it's like saying 'sorry we've designed this only to run on 56k modems, you'll have to take a step back, switch your ADSL off and use dial up' Fuck that, it's 2005 wifi networks run up to 54mbps using 811g WPA encrypted keys and not something we'd have been happy using 3/4 years ago....

Seems a lot of those are repeated around the US support forums as well so it dosn't seem eurocentric in that respect, just look in here, 15000 messages in such a short time...

http://*******.com/ktkc

If they had spent as much time making the system easy to use as they did making it super water tight using Nintendo only protocols and stuff I'm sure you'd find a lot more players on line with a lot less hassle.

Anyhow, I'm not fussed now, finished installing the dongle into my media server box which is plugged straight into the router, so don't need to fire up the laptop when I wanna play, media box is online 24/7

/oh, and THS, no, I'm not into that, I'd have liked to play AC without having to spend over the odds to import it.
Old 15th December 2005, 19:31   #26
xenosomething
Major Dude

nintendo is alot like aol when it come to online...way to much fuss just for a little extra security that is just plain redundant.

its free but i just hope that the rev has something beefed up like live.(ive never used live but it HAS to be better than this)

.........?.
Old 15th December 2005, 19:44   #27
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Here here, if Revolution comes out of the box in 12 months time and it's still incompatible with vast ammounts of routers and uses , what in technology terms, 5 year old security protocols they might as well give up and stick to developing games.

Anyhow, if you are ever online and play against Jones Owns , who uses the flag of St George as his cart decal, thatsa me!
Old 17th December 2005, 18:06   #28
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Final rant I promise....

online gaming is really great, but has anyone else suffered this... leading the race, screen shows I'm in 1st place, someone is sat right on my tail, cross the line, the auto play kicks in while the results come up, it shows I'm still in first place my charachter is waving his arms around in victory style, the second place dude is still behind me only just..........results come in.... what the fuck, I'm second???? and second place dude is first?

That's happend to me so many times it's not funny.......and yet if it's ever the other way around and I'm in second tailing someone over the line I stay second !
Old 17th December 2005, 18:19   #29
LuigiHann
Forum King

Apparently that's what happens when the game lags. Second place guy saw himself come in first, so the server had to decide which was the "real" winner. That never happenned to me because my few online races were never remotely that close.

Old 17th December 2005, 18:28   #30
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yeah , could see that, bah ...

/double bah, just been blue shelled as I was about to win race 4 where all 3 players were on 21 points each, bah!
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center