X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FabianN
    • Jul 2007

Multiple artists\genre in library

This is something that I've seen to be suggested a few times, but I think really needs a push.

To give an basic example, in the library's Artist list I currently have these two artist entries:
    Elvis Costello
    Elvis Costello and The Attractions

I would like it to be:
    Elvis Costello (contains the songs tagged as "Elvis Costello" and "Elvis Costello;The Attractions"
    The Attractions (contains the songs tagged as "Elvis Costello;The Attractions" and "The Attractions")

This way songs that have more than one artist don't each get it's own artist entry.
    In the track list it of course would list all of the artists that are in the tag.

It can't be that hard to implement, and I would myself if I knew any programming.
    This would really stream-line the Artist list, and can also be easily implemented into Genre too
  • raevanmorlock
    • Aug 2007

I wanted to second this since I didn't notice it listed in the sticky yet.

I've been searching google for a solution and this post was at the top of my search so I registered an account to comment. I assume alot of other people are also looking for this since it was at the top of a long list of results.

Essentially, it'd just be awesome if the Media Library's Local Media listing was more intuitive--especially for artist names. I know ID3v2 doesn't support multiple artists, but perhaps the library could parse them: (artist) [delimiter] (artist) [delimiter] (artist) {etc}

From a technical standpoint, it shouldn't be too difficult. Allow the user to specify a delimiter string (FabianN was using ";", but some people might prefer something else like a vertical bar). Then split the tag based on occurances of that string [artist_list = string.split(artist, delimiter)] and have a multiple-to-one ratio (multiple artists can point to the same file).

My big concern here is that I also use WinAmp for video files so I made a custom view for my "Movies" and then store the main actors/actresses in the artist field. So if someday I feel like looking at something with Will Smith in it, I want to just scroll to Will Smith and see everything that he's in.. not Will Smith, Will Smith and some dude, some chick and Will Smith, etc. Many songs also have compilations or they feature one or more artist and that gets annoying as well when your artist list has the same person's name listed a dozen times in order to accommodate different people that s/he's worked with.

Comment

• tarrkid
      • Oct 2001

+1

I was just looking for this feature.

Comment

• ZicZac
        • Aug 2007

Support++

I need that feature. One has to define delimiter strings like and, &, ft., feat., with, , or any similar you use and here we go. Please implement!

Comment

• fantomx11
          • Oct 2007

+1

This is the only reason I use WMP over WinAmp for Audio, but it's a huge one for me. I like to browse my music by genre and I have multiple genres for most of my music the same goes for duets and remixes. Until this feature gets implemented I'm absolutely unwilling to use WinAmp over WMP even though it is M$.

Comment

• Xezzy
            • Oct 2007

Vote yes o.0

Comment

• andyboyjlm
              • Jun 2007

Was just searching for this myself.

Please do it!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• urlwolf
                • Nov 2007

+1

Comment

• Mixsynth
                  • May 2004

+1.

This feature was first requested in 2002, and it's been requested over and over again since then.

Comment

• SkyLarc
                    • Jan 2008

do it!

do it... this is a must-have feature... +500000

Comment

• Clubstyler
                      • Jan 2008

I strongly agree. Please add this simple but very useful feature to the next minor release.

Comment

• ddiction
                        • Mar 2008

I would love to use WinAmp, and the lack of this feature is the only reason I won't switch from Windows Media Player. My library exceeds 300GB of mp3s, and there is simply no way I can keep it organized without being able to address multiple artists and genres individually.

Comment

• Mixsynth
                          • May 2004

Now I've got Windows Vista, I notice that it builds in shell support for multiple artists and genres.

If you right click an mp3 and click "Properties", then view the "Details" tab, if you click either "Artists" or "Genre", it invites you to add more than one of each, separated by semicolons, as previously implemented by Media Player.

Seeing as multiple artists/genres delimited by semicolons is now a standard feature of the operating system, surely adding support for it in Winamp's Media Library should be a priority for the next release?

Comment

• duniahuri
                            • Jul 2008

one more...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
                            it's the only feature that really MISSES in winamp!!!
                            i, too, prefer wmp ONLY because of this feature, it makes ALL the difference for me.....

Comment

• Tahir_Ahmadov
                              • Sep 2008

I also registered only because I wanted to request this feature. Also it would help if the artist names were separated with a ";" like it is now in Windows Media Player - which already supports it, by the way. Developers, that one was for you - either add that feature or lose users to M$.

Comment

Working...
                              X