Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 2nd April 2018, 23:59   #241
Fumbling_Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Self View Post
Well, when will we see your non-preset projects? We hope to see them soon...
I don't think personal updates really belong here in this board as I don't expect much interest for such in the preset board. I guess I could post the progress I'm making in my personal endeavors elsewhere in the community discussion board(s), but I don't frequent those parts. Still, though, I do feel somewhat eager to share a little bit here .

My current and long-term focus now is more on recovery from schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder, as well as social anxiety. Conventional wisdom teaches a life lived in dependence on major-tranquilizers and an ever-present sense of chance for whether these conditions (especially schizophrenia) will improve or even get worse. There's nothing an individual can do except avoid drugs and alcohol to stay stable with schizophrenia, says the old way of thinking. The illness is from a biological chemical imbalance or even structural abnormalities in the brain, much like were one to lose function of one's ability to use his/her right hand because it got severed in an accident. On a spirit vs science note, this is materialism at its finest.

I've dabbled in alternative thinking since my first psychosis, but I've had limited success and several hospitalizations trying to out-think my illness. It wasn't until very, very recently when I started to get a new perception, a sense of depth to the world, others, and myself, and especially a sense of cause and effect especially within myself that my mental health has finally seemed to improve. Finally, I started to experience a sense of control and mastery over my mind and a sense of responsibility and agency over my thoughts, feelings, and behavior (and "symptoms" of mental illness). This is new, so it will be a while before I can be certain.

I owe my superb therapist much thanks for teaching me what I know and how to use it for my benefit. He is a Choice Theory (by William Glasser) therapist, and I am currently studying and applying the theory to my life (I'm still working on my first reading of the book). The author speaks at length about overcoming the more common problems of depression, anxiety, and relationship issues, but he goes a step further and speaks of serious mental illness working fundamentally the same as other labelled disorders, but with a more painful and incapacitating manifestation. Theoretically, schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder can be recovered from just as depression and anxiety can - medication free. Theoretically, its possible to become weller-than-well.

I've recovered from deep, long-lasting depression, now being keenly aware of when I am "depressing" (verb to depress instead of adjective to be depressed), and I have no reason to ever return to chronic depressing. So, that's an entire side of bi-polar disorder managed; next is mania. I love having the energy of a 5-year-old at 28, but regressing to a toddler at my age is pathological. If such energy can be harnessed without turning into a psychosis and literally overloading and short-circuiting my brain, it would be a tremendous gift as it is to some high-functioning bi-polar people.

But, while prioritizing one aspect of my dysfunction at a time, the others may not politely wait. There's the schizophrenia side of my illness too. Although my psychoses were for periods, the true dysfunction I have with schizophrenia is like a "frozen psychosis" as described in another book I'll get back to. There is more for me to learn before I go in detail here, though. Thanks for your interest, Virtual Self .

Like my avatar? Check out my Synaescope preset project later on in the Star Forge topic . Nearly endless mandalesque patterns going to the energy of the music .
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 22:08   #242
Virtual Self

I wish you get well soon. I wish you a quick recovery. Do not forget, your hobbies will bring you back to life again.
Virtual Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 23:24   #243
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Thanks for sharing such a serious and personal details about your life and condition. I'm not sure if your hobbies will get you out of this as Virtual self says but I'm sure it will help a lot to kept you focused on something and avoid to let your mind "fly" to unwanted "places". We all have our "stuff" that helps to channel anxiety or stress, I spent a lot of time searching on me which were those things I enjoyed and helped me to channel inner stuff I can't otherwise, since I find it I tried to stick to it whenever I need to (like photography on trips I don't do for pleasure or parties I attend by "obligation") or as much as possible if it's time demanding (like skinning heh).

I had a friend with a similar condition to yours, he moved with his family some time ago so I lost contact with him, but I could learn a thing or two about how a person can have some form of "life" after being diagnosed. There are a lot of things that are hard to control beyond personal hobbies and routine so you need all your strenght and wisdom to face little by little a growing amount of ordinary "acts" that most people take for granted (go out for dinner, stay in populated places, personal confrontation, etc).

Again, thanks for sharing about your personal condition and all your creations/presets too =) .

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 12:50   #244
hakanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbling_Foo View Post
Yes, it has been quite a journey working on the Star Forge project, hakanh . I watched the youtube video and it is quite good. Was it done in real time?

I have a couple ideas about where to go next for another preset project, but haven't put any effort towards them yet. From what I gather you and others are interested in what I will do next, which is very inspiring and comforting, giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling too .

I've been busy with other projects and gaming and the like (I'm having a great time playing Divinity: Original Sin 2), but I'll see if I can fit preset authoring into my schedule again some time .
I'm not exactly sure, but these images are being developed on a C # based custom interface. But as I said earlier I think this video will a great source of inspiration for the development of your "Star Forge" preset. It is so cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnN7Fl_U2I

Of course, if you want to develop the next generation of your preset and if you can see that power in yourself.

And I read last comments. I wish you get well soon...
hakanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 03:49   #245
Fumbling_Foo

Thanks everyone for the well wishes . I look to eventually becoming "weller-than-well" as my psychiatrist and I test the waters of lower doses of anti-psychotics. Since I started seeing him, over time he has become far less of a believer in the "chemical imbalance" life sentence doctrine and more open to the prospects of recovery from schizophrenia/bi-polar disorder.

I still haven't totally gotten away from Star Forge as of recent. I was planning on potentially releasing a v4 of Harmony Nova, but after careful consideration the latest direction of development hasn't been successful. Flexi, I believe, posted a guide called "The Book of Shaders" in another topic, which I expect may teach me everything I need to know about anything I want to do with milkdrop. What a huge opportunity, I expect; now, the real test of my continued passion for milkdrop begins .

Though, I have to say that I have been quite busy with my growing interests in spirituality and psychology (specifically mental health right now). That's also a very good sign for my recovery from schizophrenia, as one of the more debilitating "negative/deficiency symptoms" is having no motivation or enjoyment.

Like my avatar? Check out my Synaescope preset project later on in the Star Forge topic . Nearly endless mandalesque patterns going to the energy of the music .
Old 21st April 2018, 22:02   #246
Fumbling_Foo

OK guys here's acid mandala v3 with some pimped comp shader code mainly. I had an idea and it seems to have worked well. I tried Martin's code from the darker mod of Star Forge he made and did a couple compatibility tweaks to make the "mashup" work well with it. This is a good indicator that I've at least learned something while working on Star Forge, yay . Simply doing a quick (random) mashup would have produced less results; I had to tinker with the code a bit to make this one happen.

It's going to be a bit brighter than the previous version, but there's more frequent and a better variety of patterns which, also this time, seem to go to the music in mysterious but fitting ways. Finally, the patterns, at least for certain songs, seem to fill the entire screen more often. I think there's enough of an improvement to release v3 now, still yet to cover the shader guide .

Old 28th April 2018, 16:43   #247
hakanh

Finally, you tried something in the composite shader. Colors adjustments and shine effect balances are very good. I really like it.
hakanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 16:08   #248
Fumbling_Foo

Thanks a *whole lot* for the feedback hakanh, I'm glad you liked it . I had a feeling this vein of development would be a good for the preset . I feel though that it could use a little adjustment, so here is a v3a. I can't guarantee that its a significant change, though, as the changes are incremental, but it features a more centrally-defined center mandala waveform and a tweak in the comp shader to reduce the "washout" effect. Enjoy and I hope this latest version is considered in winamp 5.8 !

Old 10th May 2018, 05:13   #249
Fumbling_Foo

After a lot of testing, I believe it is time to release v3b. There may be more of a difference from v3a to v3b than from v3 to v3a. Clearer and somewhat prettier patterns, tries to look more interesting during the previously dull moments, a bit more dynamic yet a bit more musical. This will be as good as it will get with the current code, so I wouldn't expect a v3c.

I will have to look into custom shapes or learn how to program custom waves to do anything more with the preset. A lot of potential there if I can develop the skill, as these elements have basically been the same since the very beginning.

Anyways, I hope this latest version of Acid Mandala is considered in winamp 5.8 .

Old 17th May 2018, 16:43   #250
Fumbling_Foo

Looks like there will be a v3c after all. I'm chasing the dragon of getting things just right for the preset. The changes are subtle in this version, but after reviewing the past three releases of this version I think I'm going in the right direction, and, small as the changes may be, I am very impressed with this latest version.

I do indeed have ideas for a v4, but no idea how to make it happen. Perhaps cleverly implemented shape code will provide the additional patterns to really make the preset shine, but I don't know how to do anything other than basic motion at best for the shapes.

Perhaps I could jazz up the wave code, but I'm equally clueless here.

Or, perhaps I could play around with the "fins" in martin's comp shader code, but I don't know how to make them not all be the same size at the same time and do some cool rotational motion around the center, perhaps compounding the patterns as they interfere with each other.

Anyway, here's v3c and I hope this latest version is considered in winamp 5.8 .

Edit: I had another idea within a couple of hours for this preset, so here's v3d. There are only a couple of changes to the code in v3c, but the warp shader is improved and thus should present better patterns for the comp shader to interpret. Cheers .

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 17th May 2018 at 18:38.
Old 26th May 2018, 22:09   #251
Fumbling_Foo

Greetings everyone . I'm quite happy to see the popularity of Acid Mandala v3 and v3a, especially since they are newer but have more downloads than several previous versions of the series. So those versions are successes in my book .

I hope this next version does just as well. I really wanted this version to be v4, but its not a total makeover like v3 was. It is like a (much) refined v3a, mainly in beat response and controlling the saturation of the color. It is not perfect; highly volume-compressed songs will give it some trouble; but it, like the previous version, takes on the character of the music in its appearance - but with more variety and with more subtlety. I did improve the patterns of the waveform also with martin's code from his "darker mod," but that didn't make a big enough difference to don it v4.

I think with this version I've finally milked dry the potential of the preset as it is, except possibly for some fps normalization (the preset still looks best at 30fps). So, time to take a break. Enjoy !

Old 29th May 2018, 15:42   #252
theguywithbeats

Hey man, I actually made an account and came here to post for the first time after reading your story. I was doing some basic research this morning and happened to read this, and it's just really cool to hear someone going through these kinds of things yet having a positive outlook on life. It's hard to do, and more people need to see examples. Mental illness is not thought of correctly in our society, and that makes it even harder. Keep focused on your project and know that you have a lot of people looking at what you are doing.
theguywithbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 16:12   #253
Virtual Self

I liked the Acid Mandala v3 series, but again the same concept. Again I must say that you should try different things from your old works.
Virtual Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2018, 16:36   #254
Fumbling_Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguywithbeats View Post
Hey man, I actually made an account and came here to post for the first time after reading your story. I was doing some basic research this morning and happened to read this, and it's just really cool to hear someone going through these kinds of things yet having a positive outlook on life. It's hard to do, and more people need to see examples. Mental illness is not thought of correctly in our society, and that makes it even harder. Keep focused on your project and know that you have a lot of people looking at what you are doing.
It is an honor, theguywithbeats. I am glad to be inspiration . Throughout this thread, I have also posted from an angst-ridden state of mind. The key to my transition was realizing that I have been through some of the greatest dissappointments, worst possible psychic pain with mental illness, and trauma with life - but I am still alive. I have already won; I have ended the war with myself and made peace. I have made lasting friendship with myself. I am free.

It doesn't matter that I, for example, may never have the genius I once coveted of, say, Descartes or Elyn Saks, who seem to have been born with genetic talents. Though I may never function without medication, though I may always be the "side-kick" or the "Robin" to the "Batman," never the hero or main protaganist but the hero's left hand, I would be happy in that role.

I read Elyn Sak's "The Center Cannot Hold," and that is an excellent example of success even with a worst-case class schizophrenia. I have a desire to become an activist for mental health law reform and the educational system, for which "Choice Theory" by William Glasser would work wonders.

Thanks again, theguywithbeats. It's always wonderful to meet people who know and care .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Self View Post
I liked the Acid Mandala v3 series, but again the same concept. Again I must say that you should try different things from your old works.
I know v3 hasn't changed much, but the method to my madness () is to get each concept as refined as possible then build upon it and refine the added content. For example, Acid Mandala v2's patterns couldn't have happened without Harmony Nova v3's fixed warp shader and wave function code. We'd still be at Acid Mandala v1's patterns.

But I have to admit that my innovation is slow and limited. I'm a decent artist I'd say but not much of a programmer, so that's why things are slow. I still can't promise a v4, but at least now I know where to look for more development - probably in the shape code if I can bring together enough useful code from other presets.

Old 9th June 2018, 02:14   #255
Fumbling_Foo

I put a *lot* of elbow grease (and carpal tunnel syndrome) into this one. After many promising but ultimately disappointing versions, finally, success it seems. Finally, all the major "bugs" in its functioning and appearance are fixed! Using this new approach has been very effective. By using my imagination as a standard to which the preset should meet, I see "bugs" to fix, and checking previous versions more often helps keep my edits from meandering too far from some better intermediate version.

So, here goes a very hopefully succulent, perhaps even somewhat trippy, v4. Yes, it is still the same concept as v3, and the difference from v3e overall isn't necessarily subtle, but it's more to do with how the visuals respond to the beat. However, the difference from the original v3 is significant enough to don it v4. v4's a lot more defined, refined, and dynamic v3 and a (hopefully) more interesting v3e. It's hard to compare these versions since they're not running side-by-side. That would be a huge plus in milkdrop preset development.

What to expect next? I'm pretty happy with what's in front of me, but frankly by the time I released this version I've grown tired of the concept (and a few fine pieces of music have now become demoted to test tracks). But there is some room for performance optimizations and probably a new need for fps normalization. After a bit of a break, I hope to see some results from tinkering with textured shapes as Martin recommended so long ago.

So, without further ado, enjoy . Oh, and I definitely hope this latest version is considered for winamp 5.8 .

Old 9th June 2018, 03:20   #256
Fumbling_Foo

Must. Release. Now! (I'm gambling that I am actually seeing improvement.)

A tweak for classical music (it was performing quite abysmally) made it better also for virtually all I've thrown at it!

Enjoy and hope this latest version is considered in winamp 5.8 .

Edit: LOL! v4 a few hrs ago still hasn't been approved by moderation!

Old 13th June 2018, 17:51   #257
Fumbling_Foo

The only reasons I'm releasing all these small updates is because I'm expecting each time for the update to be final, and because I'm hoping each latest submission is considered in winamp 5.8 (which will hopefully get released some day), knowing that should winamp 5.8 come, should Acid Mandala be included, what is there will be there for perhaps eternity. It doesn't matter that the regulars here, myself included, grow tired of the same concept; it will be new to the larger winamp 5.8 audience and every small improvement will make a difference in first impressions. I hope though that each update is in fact an improvement. Small as the updates may be, cumulatively they add up to being a large difference.

So, is this a big update? It is to me in how it's become better where it was once weaker before. I don't expect to have any luck with custom shapes, and I myself am growing tired of the small improvements, so unless I find some other code that improves the preset, this latest version will be final for Acid Mandala. At the very least, I'm proud to have created Acid Mandala v4b. It has by now practically fully become what it was intended to be.

I've done some fps normalization in the per-frame code, hopefully done correctly. There is some room for performance optimization, but not enough to consider unless someone asks because their computer is running slow with the preset.

The first "ret =..." in the comp shader was giving a black screen, not doing its job, so that bug is fixed.

I've also improved the form of the center waveform so that the patterns look better more of the time. Yes, still the same code but tweaked for more dynamic range of appearance.

Also, I increased the minimum number of "fins" in the comp shader by 1 because 4 fins (and anything less) didn't look good. Yes, it was neat to see the preset stuck at 4 fins for a while at startup to show the long time the preset takes to initialize, like a big machine or an athlete slowly warming up to do something impressive, but to any virgin of Acid Mandala they may say the preset is boring and forget it before it has even fully started up.

Overall the brightness has been reduced to allow the eyes to adjust to a more balanced look for the preset and allow for more detail and dynamic range. Then, the brighter parts should "pop" more and give more of an impression. Most of the time, the "dark" is infused with bright highlights for neat effect.

Even from v3 original through to v4a, there has been an enduring problem with the preset washing out in dull color. It still happens in some songs in v4b, but less often. I've also done my best to minimize the "fainting" that sometimes happens during high / constant-volume parts of music. It still happens on some songs no matter what I do, so I throw my hands up and say, "It's a treat for most songs; if it doesn't deliver on one song then there are always other presets that do. At least for a great many songs the preset delivers well."

Finally, here's a version that provides interesting screenshots, sometimes almost continuously even. I will add screenshots later. Hopefully, the screenshots should be proof of progress.

Edit: So cheers, everyone enjoy, and hopefully this latest version is considered in winamp 5.8 .

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 13th June 2018 at 19:47.
Old 15th June 2018, 01:42   #258
Fumbling_Foo

"413 Request Entity Too Large"

Now it seems max screenshot size has gone from over 500kb down to somewhere under 90kb, if not banned altogether. Kidding, right?

Guess never mind on the screenshots then. The preset will just have to speak for itself as being progress. Best results at 30fps .

Old 15th June 2018, 12:17   #259
Fumbling_Foo

deleted

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 15th June 2018 at 13:29. Reason: new version needs more testing
Old 15th June 2018, 15:47   #260
Fumbling_Foo

Ok, I'm pretty sure v4c is ready for prime time. Finally, maybe I've struck a near-perfect harmony of beat detection elements, not getting too bright or too dark usually now and rarely "faints." No, it sometimes will got go as slow as it should with slower music - it's a fast preset - but it is still something of enjoyment and value, a quality preset I hope. I may not have gotten it right the first time, but maybe the 2270th time is right .

Oh, and it goes without saying that I hope this latest version is considered in winamp 5.8 .

Old 17th June 2018, 18:41   #261
Fumbling_Foo

More harmony in color between the inner and outer elements of the screen. Also "faints" (screen getting nearly black in highly-energetic moments of music) even less. Mainly, I updated the waay out-of-date wave color code. Also, I improved the warp and comp shaders a bit and reduced instances of over-/under-brightness.

I caught up a bit on the status of winamp 5.8, and I was disappointed. It seems it may never happen. Oh well, at least a few people will see my work .

Edit: Oh, and *celebrating my 200th/201st post *.

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 17th June 2018 at 19:09. Reason: more info
Old 21st June 2018, 17:35   #262
Fumbling_Foo

deleted

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 21st June 2018 at 18:26. Reason: still too soon to release new version
Old 22nd June 2018, 01:35   #263
Fumbling_Foo

Quote:
Greetings again everyone. After several unfruitful private builds (after v4d published), I revisited a specially-marked intermediate build and saw what I was missing in the later builds. This seems to be the most finely-turned and best-looking version so far.
... And then I reworked some of the subsequent tweaks into it and did one more tweak. Eureka!

v4e is indeed akin to the v4 series, but as far as the changes go it seems to have better motion, almost as if in a dance with the music. A bit more variety in what it does too. Overall, I'd just say that its the most engrossing Acid Mandala that I've released so far, especially for techno.

I really really really expect this will be the final version in the v4 series, otherwise I'd probably be wasting my time. So on to exploration of custom shapes and maybe seeing if I can adapt martin's comp kaleidoscope code to the warp shader for some cool effects.

So cheers, enjoy, and I hope this latest version is considered in the hopefully to-be-made winamp 5.8 .

Old 23rd June 2018, 18:23   #264
Fumbling_Foo

Here's a live update. This version is showing better screenshots and better evolving patterns.

Old 25th June 2018, 02:20   #265
Fumbling_Foo

Ok, so I noticed a few differences between some of my earlier work and my present work.

My earlier work provided good screenshots but most of the time displayed simple patterns. v4e had complete range from white to black but was a bit bi-polar. I'm not sure about v4f, but here's v4g. Its more detailed and balanced than v4e. Maybe the idea I had with v4e is panning out .

As usual, I hope this latest work is the best of my work and is considered in winamp v5.8 !

Old 25th June 2018, 21:57   #266
Fumbling_Foo

Greetings everyone, no new version this time. When reviewing past versions again, I thought I had seen better than the recent builds. Mainly, graininess was creeping in the warp shader, along with problems with beat detection. So, I looked further back, to the original published AM v4. It may have had some problems with slower music, but overall it's the best performer and is very satisfactory. I'm happy to leave things that way with v4.

Thank you everyone for your patience, lets just enjoy Acid Mandala v4 and forget the later v4's .

Old 2nd July 2018, 15:28   #267
Fumbling_Foo

Hello again everyone. Its been about a week since my last release. I took from v4d (published) and implemented some of the good changes in the later private builds, and there seems to be some improvements in the frequency and diversity of patterns/screenshots, and the preset looks good in motion. Perhaps I will post some screenshots sometime. I also fixed a couple of bugs in the appearance, including granularity and some outdated, lingering experimental code I put in the comp shader that was messing up the visuals through virtually all of AM v3 and v4.

I've donned this version v5 to distinguish it from my earlier v4 work. The improvements are relatively substantial compared to v4 original, so hopefully AM v5 will be better than any previous version. As such, I'm again proffering this version to a hopefully to be realized winamp 5.8 .

Old 23rd July 2018, 01:19   #268
Fumbling_Foo

Things have been quite around here lately. Anybody else here? Anybody else here? Anybody else here? (echo)

Kidding aside, I have v5a ready after a long break. Better macrodynamics to the beat detection and improved warp and comp shaders.

Cheers, enjoy, and hope I will see this latest version in winamp 5.8 (if it is ever to be).

Old 26th July 2018, 23:52   #269
xmuzack

Still hare and enjoying the hell out of Winamp and Milkdrop. That'll never change. Speaking of changes, I like seeing the changes you make to your presets. Nice.
xmuzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 15:28   #270
Fumbling_Foo

Thanks xmuzack, glad to see you're still around here .

I myself rarely use winamp anymore because I'm once again into hi-fi audio and because I can't seem to make any positive changes to Acid Mandala. While I'm watching patterns on the screen, it becomes harder for me to pay attention to the nuances of music and become immersed and get lost in the music.

So I'll probably still be dropping by here from time to time, but I can be found on the www.head-fi.org forums doing the occasional post as "FumblingFoo." Hi-end audio is both pretty awesome and perhaps even addictive. While the actual differences in sound between $$ and $$$$ equipment may be small (with today's technology good quality, miniature DAC's / Amps are easy to come by), those differences quickly add up, making hi-fi music much more immersive.

Old 31st July 2018, 18:11   #271
Fumbling_Foo

Finally, here's what seems to be a definitive improvement in the v5 lineup .

Old 20th August 2018, 01:54   #272
Fumbling_Foo

Must. Release. Now.

Old 22nd August 2018, 21:13   #273
Fumbling_Foo

A quick but relatively significant update to the visuals. Cheers & enjoy !

Old 23rd August 2018, 16:26   #274
Fumbling_Foo

Improved some rendering / visuals and musicality. I really enjoy this version.

Old 25th August 2018, 02:29   #275
Fumbling_Foo

This version is an even bigger revision than the previous two combined. It really looks noticeably different now. I found quite a cool effect with animating an exponent, improved the warp shader a tiny bit, and improved the center mandala by adding another waveform.

This version is more variable in its overall appearance, has better rendering, and goes with the music better IMO.

Old 25th August 2018, 06:19   #276
Fumbling_Foo

I'd disregard the previous v6c. No, it wasn't a step in the wrong direction I'd say, just needed more testing. Well, after more revising and testing, I think this version needs to be donned v7. Cheers and enjoy .

Old 25th August 2018, 14:45   #277
Fumbling_Foo

A bug fix for the per vertex code and a couple of finishing touches for what has been a most epic preset if I say so myself. Martin's beat detection, even if its the first version, was easy to use and just incredible - I can't thank the programming artists enough for their code. I apologize for the rapid-fire updates, but I'd rather release them sooner than later before anyone possibly gets their heart set on a particular version and tires of the general concept.

Will something come after this? Without fail, there will probably be a v7b (edit: yup...), c, etc. like there always is in the pursuit of perfection, but this version is pretty impressively good at what it does. I do have an idea, its just the problem of translating imagination into reality for a very novice programmer. Maybe I'll find the code, but if not I'm thoroughly satisfied with Acid Mandala v7(a) .

Ok, so I figured out a cool trick for the wave functions to make them interfere with each other and generate more and better patterns. Been testing it some it does seem to be a definitve improvement to the center pattern. So... Here's v7b, enjoy .

Old 27th August 2018, 06:05   #278
Fumbling_Foo

Notice to any youtube users, there are a couple of things to keep in mind when using this preset. It works best at 30fps at resolutions under 2.5k. Also, the preset will appear black at first. This is normal, it takes a few seconds for it to initialize. Cheers and enjoy !

Ok, this update is a bug fix. Still had a problem in the per-vertex code, so reverted to the original q variable from the original code and it looked fine. New wave code wasn't working as intended, fixed. Cheers and enjoy the *final* Acid Mandala preset. I think. If there are no more bugs I find.

I think that's everything, and at this point there's no point in continuing with this concept. Its been developed as much as I can with my skill. So, on to the next task. I want to make a youtube video of this preset to some kind of popular music that will attract views, but I'm not sure where to start. What music genre is popular and filled with people who would be interested in visual patterns going to the music as opposed to music videos?

Old 27th August 2018, 10:11   #279
Fumbling_Foo

Video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwKJv6CF2DU

Old 28th August 2018, 22:19   #280
Fumbling_Foo

Greetings again everyone. I managed what I believe to be a breakthrough with Acid Mandala. Same general concept, but a significantly modified artistic concept. The preset is no longer "Acid Mandala," its form no longer lies in distorted visuals but mostly order and harmony to the music. So, giving the preset a name befitting its form, I dub the preset...

Edit: While I have the chance to edit, I noticed on my other setup that the preset gets a bit overbright with the light shafts. Here's a tweak for that. This patch seems to have fixed that. Still capable of getting about as bright as before, but more conservatively.

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 29th August 2018 at 01:10. Reason: grammar
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets