MPEG (2) Layer 3 Audio Files won't play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deathbunnynoir
    • Jan 2013

MPEG (2) Layer 3 Audio Files won't play?

I have several audiobooks (and a few mp3 tunes) that I can't get Winamp to play. Oddly, though, IrfanView plays it just fine. I'd rather use Winamp, though.

I attempted to research it but couldn't find an answer.

I tried at first downloading lots of codecs and then finally unintalled Winamp completely and reinstalled it with no extra codecs. Still nothing.

When I right click in Windows 7 (64 bit) and read "properties" I see it is an MPEG Layer 3 Audio File.

File info in Winamp says this:
    Payload Size: 9356256 bytes
    Header found at: 27284 bytes
    Length: 2339 seconds
    MPEG-2 layer 3
    32 kbps, approx. 89964 frames
    22050 Hz Mono

I've tried to rename the file .wav, .m4a, mpeg...
  • MrSinatra
    Forum King
    • Dec 2004

i'm no expert, but only mpeg1 layer 3 is a true mp3.

i don't really know much about mpeg2. the link seems to suggest it can contain differing audio formats.

try playing the file with VLC or examining it with gspot. it might just be that some extra codec is all thats needed.
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• deathbunnynoir
      • Jan 2013

Vlc

Thanks for your response. I downloaded VLC and the files play fine with that program. I also downloaded GSpot, but have no idea how to use it I did try and get a proposed solution, but I am unsure how to apply the output. I've attached an image of it.

Thanks again for responding.
      Attached Files

Comment

• MrSinatra
        Forum King
        • Dec 2004

i was hoping someone else who knew more would respond by now. hopefully someone still will.

i suggested VLC b/c i figured it would play it, it seems capable of playing almost anything. but also b/c i thought it might be able to identify exactly what codec is needed.

gspot is supposed to do the same. ffdshow are codecs you can download, but honestly, i'm somewhat out of my depth here.

maybe post some example files to 4shared and hopefully someone can tell you exactly what they are and whats needed to make em work in winamp.
        PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
        --
        BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
        Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
        Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• JonnyMac
          • Dec 2000

I realize this thread several day old, however after stumbling across it I wanted to reply. Anyways try the Nullsoft AC3 Decoder from the Winamp Essentials Pack. The decoder can be found in the 'Media File Support' branch of the 'Choose Components' options in the Essentials installer.
          Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
          Read the Stickies
          ---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power

Comment

• DJ Egg
            Spectral Techorator
            • Jun 2000

GSpot seems to think it's an MPEG-1 Video file (containing MPEG-2 Layer 3 audio), so renaming it with the .mpg extension should work.

Or you could even rename it to .mpa and add ;MPA to the Extension List in Winamp > Prefs > Plugins > Input > DirectShow Decoder > config.

Winamp should then use the same combination of DirectShow Splitters/Filters as GSpot to play it
            (MPEG-1 Splitter > ffdshow > ac3filter).

Not sure why AC3Filter is being used though, unless you've got AC3Filter set to handle "MPEG Audio" in:
            AC3Filter Config > System tab.

EDIT

I've just read the first post again....

Hmm, as suggested above, I think you need to upload a sample file for us to examine.

If you've already tried renaming it to .mpeg and it didn't play, then renaming it to .mpga or .mpa probably won't work either.

Winamp's in_mp3 should be able to play .mp3 files with mpeg-2 layer 3 audio....

Re: "Header found at: 27284 bytes"
            At a guess, there's something embedded at the beginning of the file (art or lyrics or similar) which could be causing the problem....

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

Working...
            X