Old 17th December 2003, 21:14   #1
AngelinLeather

Things not working in 5

I just upgraded and I went to change my skin back to what it was in 3 and it just doesnt to anything. Its like I clicked on nothing. Plus I wanted to load my playlist I had over 200 songs on and what? It doesnt read old playlists? Wtf is that? I have to re-do it all. Someone tell me why the hell I just upgraded?
AngelinLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 21:31   #2
Sawg

What skin?

http://www.winamp.com/player/faq/index.php#130
What about my precious B4S playlists?
Those are currently not loadable. However, you can convert them in Winamp3 to M3U or PLS playlists.
Old 17th December 2003, 21:39   #3
AngelinLeather

Thanks

OHE3 or MMD3 whichever one has the tons of veriations in one skin. I can never remember which is which. I love that skin though. None of the skins I have are working.

Where can I convert the playlist at exactly? It installed over Winamp 3.
Old 17th December 2003, 21:50   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Where can I convert the playlist at exactly? It installed over Winamp 3.
You can't. If you no longer have Winamp3 on your system, your B4S playlists are worthless. Conversion takes place during a resave in Winamp3 to the M3U playlist format.

If you did not save the installation file for Winamp3, you cannot reinstall it for the playlist conversion, and you will have to recreate your playlists from scratch.

Try to obtain Winamp3 through Winampheaven.

/edit

Here is the direct link - winamp3_0-full.exe

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 22:09   #5
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Listen... here's what you do...

Since you said that Winamp 5.0 is now residing in the same folder as Winamp3 used to be, first go ahead and move any B4S playlists you may have to a temp location/folder outside of any Winamp application folders.

Next, completely uninstall Winamp 5.0. Next download and temp-install Winamp3 (obtain from my link in my post above). Next, open Winamp3. Open your playlist(s). Resave them all in M3U format. Close Winamp3. Reinstall Winamp 5 into the same directory Winamp3 was in (as you had already done initially). You will now have Winamp 5 installed and all your playlists will be there in M3U format.
Old 17th December 2003, 22:46   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You installed Winamp 5.0 to the Winamp3 dir?

No!

Winamp and Winamp3 are two separate players.
Both can be installed on the same system, without any problems
(except for Winamp3 may keep stealing WAL association)

Winamp 5.0 can be installed directly on top of Winamp 2.x
(as it is the direct upgrade/update from/to Winamp 2.91)

Backup anything

Uninstall Winamp 5.0
Delete the Winamp3 folder (if this is where you installed Winamp 5.0)

Reinstall Winamp3 to the Program Files\Winamp3 dir
Reinstall Winamp 5.0 to the Program Files\Winamp dir
(ignore the bit in the installer about uninstalling Winamp3)

Now you can convert Winamp3 b4s playlists into m3u
Winamp3 -> Playlist -> Playlist button -> save as
Change drop down menu from b4s to m3u
(This has already become default in latest version of Wasabi.Player)

It's then up to you if you want to uninstall Winamp3 or keep it.

Just manually copy any WAL skins from Winamp3\Skins to Winamp\Skins dir

Or do it Nunzio's way, lol
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2003, 22:53   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
You installed Winamp 5.0 to the Winamp3 dir?
Yeah. He did. There have been others too and I predict a LOT more from people who had Winamp3 v1.0 before. I just sent an email to the beta list btw about the issue.

P.S. My solution just before yours doesn't consider both Winamp and Winamp3 installed on the same machine. But he can also do that too, as you said. Anyway, maybe the developers will read my email and this thread now, and include a warning in the installer, as I suggested.

/edit

Egg... I also PM'd DrO, asking if he had time to create another little goodie that will auto-convert B4S to either M3U or PLS format. I hope he responds and says it can be done.

/edit

DrO responded!! He said the plugin can be completed in a day or two at the most. WooHOO!!!!!
Old 18th December 2003, 02:07   #8
Francis
French Admin

http://bluemars.org/ml_impex/wa5-ml_impex1.3.exe

Here is a tool which once installed will add a "convert playlists" option to your media library file menu, it will load b4s and will create m3u instead (you can select multiple b4s if you have many to convert)

Francis.

Bluemars - Music For The Space Traveller
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 02:22   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Ahhh, Francis! Excellent!
Winamp 5 Media Library Import/Export Plug-in

DrO was about half-way done with his little goodie (he just PM'd me with a progress report). Now I may have to tell him it's not needed.

One question though...

It appears as if this can only be used with the Modern Skin with "Show Menus in Media Library" active. Correct? Or have I missed something?

Could it be revised to be brought up as an option in the right-click pop-menu as well? If that were possible, it would be perfect... would work with any Classic or Modern skin that way.
Old 18th December 2003, 02:30   #10
Francis
French Admin

That's right I'll try to find a place to put it in classic mode, but for the time being it'll solve the problem without having to uninstall and reinstall winamp.

Francis.

Old 18th December 2003, 02:33   #11
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Thanks Francis
You da Man!

/edit
I'll be adding it shortly to the Media Library Enhancement section of the Most Requested Features / Plug-ins Sticky thread.

/edit
Added to Sticky > Winamp 5 Media Library Import/Export Plug-in
Also updated here.
Old 18th December 2003, 02:40   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Francis rocks!

Go Lone, Go!

[edit]
Hey, wow, this is sweet
Import/Export xml database too (iTunes compatible)
Yeeeessss!!!!!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 06:37   #13
AngelinLeather

It would be nice if I could acess my Media Library but I dont know where that is. I dont have a view menue. Where is this fabled view menue? In the land of pixies and monkeys with tall hats drinking tea?

That solves the playlist problem but what about my skins? I can re-do that playlist but I want my beloved MMD3 skin back. Any suggestions for that?

Oh and Dee 2 isnt showing up. Plug ins dont work anymore eaither?
Old 18th December 2003, 06:41   #14
Sawg

Currently you need to be usign the Modern Skin for menu bars to work in the Media Library.
Old 18th December 2003, 06:50   #15
AngelinLeather

Since I cant alter the skin I am using the start-up one is the one it is on. The orignal. So I dont know what to do.

I uninstalled MMD3 reinstalled it and still nothing. Winamp poped up like it was going to change but nothing happend. Its this one btw.
Old 18th December 2003, 06:56   #16
Sawg

You need to use the "Winamp Modern" skin that came with Winamp 5.0, NOT MMD3.
Old 18th December 2003, 07:03   #17
AngelinLeather

Im not using MMD3 because it wont work. I can not use it for some unseen reason my skins arent working like it said they would. The only skin I am using like I said, is the one that came with it. Is that a modern skin? I would think it is except it says winamp classic but it came on the new player so logically it would be a modern skin.
Old 18th December 2003, 07:11   #18
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Sawg.. you wanna explain it to him or should I ?
Old 18th December 2003, 07:14   #19
AngelinLeather

sigh

What the hell? I never ran into this shit with 2 or 3. So what is it you can explain to my dumb ass huh?
Old 18th December 2003, 07:24   #20
Sawg

[Edit: Opps, square is around the wrong option ]
Old 18th December 2003, 07:31   #21
AngelinLeather

That doesnt look anything like mine. I have the real old one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bah.jpg (35.0 KB, 331 views)
Old 18th December 2003, 07:33   #22
Sawg

Once again, you can only access throes options in the "Winamp Modern" skin right now. Not the classic skin.

If you installed Winamp 5.0 Lite, download Winamp 5.0 Full and install that with Modern Skin Support.
Old 18th December 2003, 07:35   #23
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Ok... look... you HAVE to switch to the Modern Skin.

Now i'll try... LOL!

OK. First, download and install the Winamp 5 Media Library Import/Export Plug-in

Next switch to the "built-in" Modern skin in Winamp 5.0...
Right-click anywhere on the main console window > Skins > Winamp Modern

Now, click "File" > "Convert Playlists..."
See this screenshot.

Locate all your B4S playlist files and convert them to M3U playlist files. At this point all your playlists will work and you can also switch back to any skin you like.

Do that first. Let us know how it goes. Then if you have a specific skin-related problem, post back.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
Old 18th December 2003, 07:36   #24
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
If you installed Winamp 5.0 Lite, download Winamp 5.0 Full and install that with Modern Skin Support.
Errrr...
What? He downloaded Lite???
Old 18th December 2003, 07:38   #25
AngelinLeather

You know it would be nice if someone could come here looking for help and not be treaded like a dumb ass.
Old 18th December 2003, 07:41   #26
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Look. We are not treating you like a dumb ass. Francis went and created a plugin to HELP you. Dj Egg, Sawg, and I are trying to HELP you.

Did you download the Lite version? We didn't know that earlier. We had no idea. How could we have? You never told us. That's why I was amazed that you couldn't follow what we were saying. But it now appears that you did. If so, upgrade to the Standard (Full) version (4.01 MB download). You need both Modern Skin and Media Library support. Lite version doesn't provide either. Then follow the instructions above and let us know how it goes. OK? No probs

/edit
Your beloved MMD3 skin is a modern skin too (same author that created the bundled Modern Skin in Winamp 5 - Sven Kistner). Once you upgrade to the Full version it will work.
Old 18th December 2003, 11:27   #27
Pyrallax

That playlist conversion plugin is a great idea. It'sa gift to us angry, frustrated users! Why Nullsoft abandonded the .b4s format boggles the mind, since I suspect that a great many users (like me) had created many, and often long, playlists in Winamp 3. Shame on them, I expected better. Did they have a lapse of common sense?

I encountered a couple of issues with that plugin, though. First, I lost all sound on my system, as if everything had been put on mute. I use a Creative SB Audigy and found that the "Wave" volume control (in advanced volume settings) had been mysteriously slid down to 0. Raising it fixed the problem. I don't know if it was connected with the plugin, but just in case anyone else has problems, that's how I fixed it.

Secondly, I found that on some playlists I had converted from b4s to m3u, the song order was totally messed up. Some songs were grouped together by artist, while at other places on the list, it looked entirely random.

Could there possibly be a way to retain the proper order of the playlists? I have about 50 playlists, and some are quite long (150+ songs), each carefully crafted to play songs in a particular order.
Pyrallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 19:42   #28
DrO

@Nunzio390: i'll still finish it the core code will handle pls files as well (including that fix you pm'd )

i was initially thinking of doing as a small program that allows you to find (automatically) all b4s files and then convert them to the chosen format.

is nice what Fancis has done. from my view point it could be added as an alternative to the standard open file dialog ie alt+click on the play open button maybe?!?

i'll have a look at getting the core code sorted and at least a general program which will do a convert whilst i think of the plugin option.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 22:59   #29
ChosenKen

Send a message via AIM to ChosenKen
Hey, the plug in is a great idea. Im just haveing trouble getting it to work to. Where it sais "Convert Play List..." in the pic, mine says "Close Media Library..." which is odd, because the same choice is down on the bottom of the menu. Also, for some reason, my skin blue, compared to the black and orange skin from the pick. Could that have anything to do with it? Thanx for any help guys!

ChosenKen
ChosenKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 05:35   #30
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
@Nunzio390: i'll still finish it the core code will handle pls files as well (including that fix you pm'd )
Great, Darren!! Keep pluggin away at those plugins!!

@ChosenKen...

I don't understand. All should be working fine. You must have done something wrong. Re-read everything in the Winamp 5 Media Library Import/Export Plug-in section of the Sticky thread. Refer to my screenshot there. As a matter of fact, re-read everything in this post of mine above (including screenshot). Sawg already indicated above that he "boxed-in" the wrong selection in red in his screenshot above. Refer to my instructions and screenshot.
Old 19th December 2003, 05:50   #31
ChosenKen

Send a message via AIM to ChosenKen
Fixed it

Hey, I was able to fix it. I just had to reinstall Winamp, and then the plug in. Now, it works! Thanx again for the plugin.
ChosenKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 08:02   #32
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well, I'm glad you got it working. But thank Francis for that particular plugin and if you want, you can also thank DrO (in advance) for the one he's working on, along with all the other magical plugins he's already developed.
Old 20th December 2003, 08:13   #33
Francis
French Admin

Quote:
[Originally posted by Pyrallax]
I encountered a couple of issues with that plugin, though. First, I lost all sound on my system, as if everything had been put on mute. I use a Creative SB Audigy and found that the "Wave" volume control (in advanced volume settings) had been mysteriously slid down to 0. Raising it fixed the problem. I don't know if it was connected with the plugin, but just in case anyone else has problems, that's how I fixed it.
I don't think this has anything to do with ml_impex, it sounds like a program that uses waveout output changed the volume, this can happen if you select waveout in winamp, lower the volume to 0, and then change to direct sound. waveout controls the system voulme, but directsound controls a "local" volume, whose 100% value equals the current system volume (which would then be zero).

Quote:
[Originally posted by Pyrallax]
Secondly, I found that on some playlists I had converted from b4s to m3u, the song order was totally messed up. Some songs were grouped together by artist, while at other places on the list, it looked entirely random.
My bad, it sorted entries by path, I update it, get v1.2 at http://bluemars.org/ml_impex

Cheers,
Francis.

Old 20th December 2003, 08:41   #34
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Thanks, Francis!!

Updated Sticky > Winamp 5 Media Library Import/Export Plug-in
Also updated here.

Updated both with links pointing directly to the actual file itself, http://bluemars.org/ml_impex/wa5-ml_impex1.2.exe , instead of the server directory, http://bluemars.org/ml_impex

ORB Remote Broadcast

Old 2nd January 2004, 03:40   #35
DrO

B4S Playlist Loader

ok it's been a while but i final got around to working on this (one or two things came up inbetween )

here's the current build of my take on things[list=1][*]allows you to load a b4s playlist[*]infiltrates most relevant menus[*]adds ctrl+shift+click support to load via the 'eject' button[*]related keyboard shortcut is ctrl+shift+click[*]works in classic and modern skins (he hopes from testing)[/list=1]not finished yet since i need to fully infiltrate the menus and add in handling for a 'add to...' mode. (may also allow for a straight b4s to m3u or pls option since the code is already there ).

download v0.7

-daz
Old 2nd January 2004, 11:11   #36
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Darren...

Absolutely fantastic!
As far as I'm concerned it works flawlessly. I've tested and retested it in Winamp 5.01 using both classic and modern skins. It also works flawlessly in Winamp 2.9x as well. Congratulations on another great achievement!!!

I've just included it in both the Most Requested Features / Plug-ins Sticky thread and in the Most usefull plug-ins? thread.

P.S.
I've reworded it slightly and also corrected a typo you had above for the related keyboard shortcut key combo...
  • allows you to load and play a B4S playlist
  • infiltrates most relevant menus
  • adds ctrl+shift+click support to load via the 'eject' button
  • related keyboard shortcut is ctrl+shift+L
  • works in classic and modern skins
*Note: you had a typo in your post above that read > related keyboard shortcut is ctrl+shift+click

I corrected that to > related keyboard shortcut is ctrl+shift+L
Old 2nd January 2004, 17:35   #37
DrO

cheers Nunz

ta for the typo fixes (was early hours of the morning when i posted it here).

will get it to v1.0 in a few days (main part is done at least )

-daz
Old 15th January 2004, 16:56   #38
Giggs

I guess i found a bug in DrO's plugin
The plugin is not able to convert entries with special german letters like ß ö ä ü

For example:
Wir Sind Helden - 10 - Müssen nur wollen.mp3
has been converted to
Wir Sind Helden - 10 - M&-#x;fcssen nur wollen.mp3

And of course winamp was not able to find the file

Anyway you saved me a lot of time with your plugin, thanks

Giggs

---edit Looks like the forum does what windows doesn't
had to add a - to the string above otherwise the forum displays an "ü" instead

Last edited by Giggs; 15th January 2004 at 17:12.
Giggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 17:30   #39
DrO

thanks for pointing out the problem. could you email me the playlist so i can have a valid file to work on to fix the problem.

-daz
Old 15th January 2004, 19:03   #40
Giggs

Done
Giggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support