Old 6th March 2004, 17:07   #41
Germ
rules all things

You don't really state an opinion by saying "Do this."
Old 6th March 2004, 17:28   #42
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

he, that's what i was trying to change with the "man", but apparently that didn't work.... well - what can i say? i learned english from watching american television

so edited it for you to polite british english
Old 6th March 2004, 17:38   #43
Germ
rules all things

Don't watch American Television, it makes you stupid. Teaches you bad slang too.
Old 6th March 2004, 17:58   #44
zootm
Forum King

i'm lost. is this all about a great number of people having no sense of humour?

unless there's some more sinister machinations going on in the background, and everyone who's arguing against bilbo is actually on his side and trying to fool us.

but it seems a lot like it's just a lack of humour.

Old 6th March 2004, 22:55   #45
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
or your reply sums up a backtracking on your attempts to flame me. deal with it bilbo, you aint no hotshit, and it looks like some people noticed.
I have never ever tried to claim that I am a hotshit or anything similar. Do you really think that I would flame you, when I know a litle of the hard work that you actually put into keeping these forums running for us all? Apparently you do, which can only lead me to conclude that you are as big an asshole as the rest of the Nullsoft team.

This place is fun, can be fun and will be fun. The majority of the members here are brilliant, and make me laugh all the time, and I have met some great friends through this place. Its just true that this place was more fun a long time ago.
Old 7th March 2004, 08:28   #46
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
I have never ever tried to claim that I am a hotshit or anything similar. Do you really think that I would flame you, when I know a litle of the hard work that you actually put into keeping these forums running for us all? Apparently you do, which can only lead me to conclude that you are as big an asshole as the rest of the Nullsoft team.
for shame, bilbo.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 7th March 2004, 10:32   #47
mark
Forum King

Am I the only one who thinks bilbo wants to follow sawg, but in more of an RM' style?
Old 7th March 2004, 13:02   #48
Francis
French Admin

idiot:
Quote:
I think this is a very trivial thing to be arguing over. It's just IRC"
It has nothing to do with IRC, as a matter of fact, I don't care where people go and chat. What it does have to do with is the fact that someone here thinks he's such a hot topic that he can belittle others and then have the audacity to add "You remember that".

Merlin:
Quote:
Drama queens. For what it's worth, Bilbo and I talk to each other in the same tone, but it's all in good humour.
Yeah, maybe that's the problem, those who like to trash themselves for good fun have a tendency to forget that this is not something you can do to just about everybody. It has to do with conventions you see, by convention, when someone tells you to 'shut up, bitch, because you're noone here, you remember that.', usually he's not trying to be nice to you. Perhaps it was missing a smiley ? Sure...

bilbo:
Quote:
That post sums up just how much Nullsoft staff have abandoned these forums and the ideals within it.
I have never participated in these forums in any sustained way, as my post count should make clear, so I find the notion of abandon a bit funny (although, not as funny as the notion that you might represent these ideals). You will forgive me, I hope, if I spend my time actually coding stuff rather than talk about it on the forums, but I don't suppose that someone who has built a "social life" out of this place and seems to think of himself as better than the rest (as evidenced by your post to Craig) would understand that.

To me these forums are about one thing, a place for a community to talk, and this leads us back to the fact that Craig's original post was spot on, why direct the community at an irc channel that is ran by people who have been rejected from this community ? If you can find a good reason to that, I'll listen to you, but so far all you've done in reply is insult someone, then you backtracked, tried to disguise your statement as one made in jest, implied that people lacked "humor", and now pretend to be the reasonable person around here.

Granted, you have nicely crafted consensual arguments, such as "The majority of the members here are brilliant", which should go a long way to make people believe you're being honnest here. I'm not buying it, if you really were such a reasonable person, you would realize that the tone of your message was offensive, and you would be apologizing now, regardless of wether you were being serious (ie, insulting) or not (merely offensive).

Baring this, I suggest we move on now, the question has been answered, there are a few channels out there, and yes, if one wants to meet those who have been banned from the forums because of their conduct, one should go to #a.v.s.c.h.a.t (without the dots) on irc.****.org. Otherwise try #winamp, same server.

Btw, the fact that "a.v.s.c.h.a.t" without dots is banned and traslates into a series of dashes should have given you a clue as to how welcome your contribution was in the first place.

Francis, one of the "assholes".

Bluemars - Music For The Space Traveller
Old 7th March 2004, 13:05   #49
mark
Forum King

Francis, check your PMs.
Old 7th March 2004, 15:45   #50
zootm
Forum King

guys, bilbo made one joke (in british humour, which doesn't seem to translate to some people over the internet), and everyone joined in genuinely flaming him.

he didn't deserve it.
it was uncalled for.
it was well over-the-top.

look at bilbo's contributions through the years - not only was this joke well within his usual offbeat sense of humour, it should be apparent that he's an asset to this community as a whole.

when people dig so far into him, from such a high level, is it any wonder he retaliates by calling people "assholes"? it's no less justified - by said peoples' actions in this thread alone - than any put down that has been delivered the other way.

guys. it's time to face the fact that one joke went down the wrong way, and now this whole situation is snowballing out of control. please. just put it behind you.

Old 7th March 2004, 16:10   #51
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
I understood that what bilbo said was a joke, but I also hang around here more and know his personality. People who don't (like francis) most likely didn't get it. Fair enough.

I am somewhat curious as to why one simple "flame"/joke brought admin and whatnot out of the woodwork. Either someone called them in for support or they lurk around here much more than they like to admit...
Old 7th March 2004, 16:13   #52
Germ
rules all things

He's in our Posse.
Old 7th March 2004, 16:15   #53
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
That post sums up just how much Nullsoft staff have abandoned these forums and the ideals within it.
most people have abandoned the forums because it isnt really about tech suport, or helping people out now... all the forums are about now is stupid egotistical flamewars.

everyone would be much happier without them
Old 7th March 2004, 16:22   #54
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Germ
He's in our Posse.
Holla.
Old 7th March 2004, 16:39   #55
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
I understood that what bilbo said was a joke, but I also hang around here more and know his personality. People who don't (like francis) most likely didn't get it. Fair enough.
then it seems unfair to drag them into this, with no preknowledge. it would, and has, simply lead them to posting uneducated, uninformed kneejerk reactions.

and yes, they were "dragged" into this. i hope you don't mean to tell me that francis etc. actually read these forums on a regular basis.

Old 7th March 2004, 17:53   #56
Francis
French Admin

1) I absolutely do not care where people go and chat, please go to #a.v.s.c.h.a.t if you would like so, please come to our chan if you'd prefer. I am entirely indifferent to that.

2) How much an asset Bilbo is on this forum is completely irrelevant to his right (or lack thereof) to use insults without giving the faintest clue he is (supposedly) joking, because that comes accross as simple insult, period. Bilbo might have posted hundred of thousands of times on this forum, and might have been an important force being the community for a long time, but that doesn't give him to right to come accross in as offensive a way as he did. Newcomers to this forum have no preknowledge of bilbo's 'fine' sense of humour either, would it also be "unfair" for them to read and answer what he writes ? Is this forum so elitist that we have to intimately know who writes what before we can understand what they meant ? Or can we please just... read the words they write ?

3) All the mods and a lot of the admins here do what they do for free, they invest considerable time and everybody should keep this in mind. "shut up bitch you're noone here, you remember that" is not a way to talk to someone who is giving his time for free, no matter if you are also giving it for free yourself: you might feel all well and happy about it, but the other guy may be absolutely crawling under work and thus not be in the best mood to take your stuff as a "joke", especially when it's being made in response to a completely topical post.

4) I think that if Bilbo is unhappy about giving free time to this community, he should stop doing it, the same goes for Craig, Germ, and everybody else. Noone should do that if it becomes a pain in the ass.

5) The buck stops here for me, as I'm being dragged into irrelevant arguments like how much I post and read here. I've said what I had to say, take it or leave it, I'm not here to enforce anything, just to give my opinion on what I found to be an abusive use of langauge. Honnestly, I have work to do... that doesn't make me think i'm a god-like figure who can't mingle with the people in the forum, that just makes me someone who has barely the time to read. Now when I find it is warranted, I do reply (that's about once every four day if you check my stats). I am indeed reading more than my post count might make you think, and I entirely fail to see what implications that fact may have.

Francis.

Old 7th March 2004, 18:21   #57
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
why direct the community at an irc channel that is ran by people who have been rejected from this community
Because there are a lot of people who haven't been 'rejected' from this community who go there.
Old 7th March 2004, 18:25   #58
Francis
French Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by idiot
Because there are a lot of people who haven't been 'rejected' from this community who go there.
THANK YOU for finally answering the question. I wish Bilbo had.

Francis.

Old 7th March 2004, 18:32   #59
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Francis
I think that if Bilbo is unhappy about giving free time to this community, he should stop doing it, the same goes for Craig, Germ,
This post shows EXACTLY why if a figure of authority is going state his opinion in a matter, it should at least be informed. This is just a few examples what Germ 'brings to the community':

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....16#post1296416
"WHAT A FUCKING WHORE"

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....50#post1294550
"Dork central up in this thread."

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....16#post1294216
"Russ your signature is gay"

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....19#post1293119
"I can arrange for a pre-schooler to come post using little words that you can understand. GOO GOO GA GA"

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....56#post1289856
"Get a fucking job."

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....359#post983359
"Let's find more retarded things to whine about."

What a great member. I'm glad to have him on board and on the beta team!

With respect Francis, if you don't have the time to discuss it, you shouldn't have posted what you posted in the first place.

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Old 7th March 2004, 19:03   #60
Francis
French Admin

Riiight, even more irrelevant arguments, when has this been about Germ again ?

>With respect Francis, if you don't have the time to discuss it, you shouldn't have posted what you posted in the first place

With respect, Merlin, 1) I never said I didn't have time to discuss it, in fact it should be obvious to anyone that the posts I have made today required time. What I said is that I have now discussed it long enough. 2) Even if I didn't have had time to follow up on my original answer, who are you to tell me that I shouldn't have posted my opinion in the first place ? No matter how how much "authority" you (wrongly) think I or other admins wield, I certainly think none of us will ever prevent you from posting on the ground that you may say everything you have to say in less than 2 pages. It's silly.

Of course, all of that is said with respect, so it's all alright, there, I'll even put a smiley :

Francis.

Old 7th March 2004, 20:01   #61
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

You missed the point (I think). You got mad for someone jokingly flaming a member, and he showed that Germ does the same thing. How are new members supposed to know that Germ is joking? Should he stop posting like that as well?
Old 7th March 2004, 20:19   #62
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

exactly, dlink. He also implied Germ was of a similar level of importance to mods like Craig... which he isn't.

francis:
Quote:
No matter how how much "authority" you (wrongly) think I or other admins wield, I certainly think none of us will ever prevent you from posting on the ground that you may say everything you have to say in less than 2 pages. It's silly.
The fact that an admin can select or remove moderators, tell moderators what to say/do, or even close the forums counts as authority in my book. As for the rest of that paragraph I quoted, who was talking about being prevented from posting? Not me.

Old 7th March 2004, 21:52   #63
Germ
rules all things

There is a community beyond the threads on this forum dude. Also, don't drag me into your little gay war that you won't win. And yes, I am of "similar importance", maybe not on these forums, but elsewhere, yes. So Merlin, I suggest you kindly bow out of this and drop it because you will accomplish Zero.
Old 8th March 2004, 00:02   #64
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

What did you plan to accomplish by calling this discussion a "little gay war"?

As with any discussion, my only aim is to see if Francis will acknowledge my views. There are no wars, vendettas or anything like that. It'd be pushing it to even call this an argument. It's a debate.

Old 8th March 2004, 00:13   #65
Germ
rules all things

You're the only one debating. Nobody cares
Old 8th March 2004, 00:26   #66
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Merlin
What did you plan to accomplish by calling this discussion a "little gay war"?

Old 8th March 2004, 00:30   #67
Germ
rules all things

Accomplish? I just wanted to let you know that whatever you're trying to do is gay. Nothing more. This is getting old, so I think I'm finished with this thread.
Old 8th March 2004, 01:50   #68
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
without giving the faintest clue he is (supposedly) joking, because that comes accross as simple insult, period.
it comes across as a simple insult IF AND ONLY IF you don't know bilbo. CraigF does know bilbo, and appears to have been acting out of simple spite.

you are acting out of cluelessness and group mentality. you have always seemed to have had a clue in the past - please have one now.

Quote:
as I'm being dragged into irrelevant arguments like how much I post and read here
to clarify, my post was merely to back up my argument that you couldn't know the background of this in any depth. it is not up to me or anyone else here to determine how much time you should or shouldn't spend on these forums.

however, it would also be fair to say that if you barge your way into any argument, it would be wise to acquire a certain degree of preknowledge, so that you could provide a clear, unbiased account. as you assert, you are in something of a position of power on these forums - that does require a degree of maturity in some issues.

Quote:
that doesn't make me think i'm a god-like figure who can't mingle with the people in the forum, that just makes me someone who has barely the time to read.
assuming (again) that this was directed at me, i said (and implied) nothing of the sort. your argument, however, was not justified in the context in which you posted it.

i would write more, but i really should be sleeping (much work to do).

Old 8th March 2004, 03:01   #69
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

I don't really care if I am considered a hot shit or a pile of steaming crap, so everybody (mod, admin, and member alike) can get pissed or pleased as they like at me, because I'm closing the thread. My reason: extreme serial nimrodism. Now no one has to spend any more time beating the proverbial dead horse any more. And beleive me, I know enough of this tune to sing along.

Now that I've mixed enough metaphors: insults, critiques, and iTunes winning numbers will be accepted via PM.

*whacked*
-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 8th March 2004, 08:52   #70
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

I would just like to point out that the mud slinging would have ended quicker if someone had not felt the urge to reopen the thread after I locked it in the first place.

As part of the people who give some of their time for free, I just thought it was my right to clarify that.
Old 8th March 2004, 22:10   #71
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I would prefer for it to stay open because it is quite clear that a lot of people have a problem with me, and I prefer for it to be bought into the open. After all, a good moderator reflects the needs of the community he moderates.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions