Old 9th February 2005, 22:51   #41
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

I'm just surprised that linux had to be brought into it. There are solid and defendable reasons why a maki decompiler should exist, but they've been overlooked in this thread.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 00:22   #42
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

there is a single solid and defendable reason.. to make a 3rd party maki engine/compiler.. pretty much it
Bizzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 00:31   #43
Francis
French Admin

Re: Maki decompiler

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf2
Hi,
I have written a Maki decompiler.
Awesome

Many years ago there was a BBS software called PCBoard, it had scripts, its scripts were compiled. Two guys (one of them was me) wrote their own decompilers, uproar followed. CDC (makers of PCBoard) added an encryption layer, unfortunately PCBoard had to run the scripts somehow, so it had to decrypt them, and so we could do that too (lifting the decryption routine right from pcboard). There was about 4 or 5 different encryptions methods that followed, each new one was greeted (in some instances it was preceeded) by new decompilers that could decompile them too.

Now, did anybody ever use our decompilers to try to appropriate the work of others ? sure, altho very rarely. Did it work ? No, because scripts that are worth stealing are well known, and people just cry RIP! As for scripts that are hiding "secret recipes", well... I suppose they are now as safe as those 'hidden' in the Windows compiled code, or in a Java class.

The morale of the story ? Executable code (wether it is for a real or a virtual cpu) cannot be hidden securely, period.

For this reason, when I designed maki, I made a conscious decision not to try to encrypt the bytecode in any way, because that would have been useless at preventing anything, and the last thing I wanted to do was play the game CDC did, I could only have lost.

Now, this may raise the question of why I even did bother with a compiler in the first place, well, 3 reasons :

- i have a personal preference for compiled scripts: they usually end up running in a more structured VM. Of course you can always precompile packaged source code and run that, but this doesn't factor in the next reasons

- for speed: compiled code is faster, and having the code compiled means you don't have to pre compile it when you load the skin, even the first time

- and yes: so that you could chose wether you released your source or not, because as much of an open source advocate as I am, I like to let people make their own decisions.

Well, that possibility of choice lasted much longer than I expected anyway

Now, as an aside, pretty much anybody who remembers the pcboard era will acknowledge that pcboard script decompilers were mostly 'a force for good'. It may have made a few casualties (it destroyed the concept of shareware scripts for instance), but it helped against trojans and backdoors, it taught many great coders how to script pcb, it allowed incredible customization, and in the end, most scripts were released with sources because of all those reasons. I'm sure that this maki decompiler will help many people too, although I guess (and it's obvious by this thread) that it'll annoy quite a few others.

Now if it *really* annoys you that it's becomes so easy to get at your maki source code, and you feel like doing something about it, then here's a hint for you : http://www.cs.arizona.edu/~collberg/...fuscation.html ... :P

To Ralf2: great job man There were still a few scripts I wasn't able to decompile, but what did decompile worked brilliantly. Have you given any thoughts to reconstructing for/whiles ? I guess they are not used that much in maki anyway eh..? Did you use invokeDebugger at all to help you out ?

Francis.

"Open your sources, your mind will follow"

Bluemars - Music For The Space Traveller
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 06:20   #44
carlosp
Major Dude

Francis had spoken
carlosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 08:06   #45
Ralf2

Hi Farncis,
thanks for the praise.
I only used the maki compiler (on Linux using Wine). I googled a little bit around but I couldn't find any description of the byte code so I had to figure it out on my own.
Sadly the documentation is also not that good (e.g. this section sucks ).

Francis, I hope you thought about all the evil things you can do by manipulating the bytecode. I had numberous ideas e.g. using undefined variables or jumping to arbitrary targets.

I think Maki it well designed however the method call is weird. I would have placed the called object on top of the stack.

I thought about re-constructing the "for" loops. It not so hard, but I left it out in the end. Couldn't see the benefit.

Francis, how is the chance that we can see more than a Alpha release of winamp for Linux?

BR,
Ralf
Ralf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 10:37   #46
dude883
Major Dude

I doubt that AOL has any plans to throw in a new linux version.
dude883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 11:34   #47
Francis
French Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf2
Francis, I hope you thought about all the evil things you can do by manipulating the bytecode. I had numberous ideas e.g. using undefined variables or jumping to arbitrary targets.
I don't think you'll be able to do much with these except trigger asserts or guru meditations. I could be wrong of course.

Quote:
I thought about re-constructing the "for" loops. It not so hard, but I left it out in the end. Couldn't see the benefit.
Perfection

Quote:
Francis, how is the chance that we can see more than a Alpha release of winamp for Linux?
Non existant, sorry. Most of us do not work for AOL anymore, and I very much doubt that the only coder left is interested or has the time and resources to be looking into that.

Of course, I could be wrong again but, let's just say, i'd be more than astonished if it happened.

Cheers,
Francis.

Bluemars - Music For The Space Traveller

Last edited by Francis; 10th February 2005 at 11:54.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 00:25   #48
Logic-8

Just the other day I was throwing out a bunch of test .m’s and compiled maki’s to clean up my folder before packaging it as a .wal file. “Thinking” I’d save some time, I shift-clicked, emptied the trash, zipped the folder, and named it .wal quicker than Bush can rig an election. Unfortunately, I grabbed one too many files and threw out the one .m I wanted to keep. Luckily for me I still had the maki – The bad news, however, I decided to change a variable value. Have you ever tried to change a variable in a compiled maki? (that question is purely rhetorical of course) – Thanks for the program.
Logic-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 07:51   #49
Ralf2

Quote:
Thanks for the program.
That should en the discussion on "is a decompiler only usefull for ripping off other scripts".

Current state of my Windamp Modern for Linux frontend project:
-70% of all widgets implemented
-Animated layer missing
-Text not fully working
-Slider has some bugs
-goTo not working
-Skripts working in principle but still some bugs to hunt

If someone want's to contribute, just mail me..
Old 17th February 2005, 12:18   #50
The Cool Dude

i don't understand where can i dowload perl from in order to decompile maki files? what file do i download?

The Cool Dude - a bit too cool
The Windows 2000 skin
Attribs Maker
The Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 12:20   #51
The Cool Dude

i dont understand where do i download perl from? which site? which file?

The Windows 2000 skin
Attribs Maker
Old 17th February 2005, 13:56   #52
Ralf2

Hi,
you can download a Windows Perl build from here: active state perl
You can download perl also from here: perl.org

On almost all Unix-machines perl is pre-installed because it's so usefull, expecially for admisitrative tasks.

BR,
Ralf
Old 18th February 2005, 10:49   #53
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

A decompiler usually dont make the same code as the coder made. The code do the same thing, but there is no way to find out how the code was written, only what methods that was used.

Most decompilers I have seen makes my code clumsy and very complex compared to how I originally wrote it.

09 F9 11 01 9D 74 E8 5B D8 41 56 C3 63 56 81 C0
PulseDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 03:08   #54
Hairy Apple

I am a newbie to Skinning, which also means I am a newbie to Maki and everything else associated with skinning... Now despite these facts I personally think that a decompiler is utterly useless. Okay so the thing extracts code out of the Maki Script.. Big Woop - I mean if you don't know maki in the first place you won't understand the .m file it produces so you can't do anything with it... And if you can understand the .m then you should already know Maki and be able to code what you need without the use of the decompiler..

So again - What is the use? You could have probably learned Maki in the same ammount of time it took you to make the decompiler.. I personally want to make my own code - not steal other peoples... It's more fun...
Hairy Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 03:28   #55
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
hm.... actually i really don't like the idea that everybody can read my scipts now, but anyway ... i lost the m-files for hals eye and i need them to be able to update it
so this tool comes right in-time

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 10:45   #56
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Like I said, the decompiler don't write the exact same code as the author originally did, and the result is only what methods and variables that were used. Pratically, the code written is protected, but the decompilers can make others to alter others scripts (if they manage to understand the decomiled code) into new code, so if they like to use clumsy code, be my guest. Another side of this is that some scripts require special inputs to a script, else it will do nullobject/other errors, and that way, by decompiling, can remove or alter these values into valid objects and/or other modifications which is negative, but almost every decompiler have more downs than ups, and I reacon this is no exception.

Old 28th February 2005, 12:33   #57
SLoB
Major Dude

at the end of the day it doesnt really matter if someone can decompile your maki files, there's not enuff exclusiveness to warrant such a tight control on what you've added to a skin, i.e. your not going to add any maki code that would earn you a million dollars, we do it for fun, altho if ya did get money for it that would be cool

you can always put in some profanity in your m files for the wouldbe decompile freak , see if the decompiler picks them out ROFL
SLoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 08:27   #58
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

I couldn't agree more slob

Old 6th March 2005, 01:52   #59
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

oooookaaaay...
a long thread with alot of bullshit really..

Sure, I can understand that some people don't want to show their code.

However, beeing a longtime maki coder myself, I really don't see any reason whatsoever why anyone would want to absolutely keep some part of their script code 100% secret from the rest of the maki coders, because that's what this is all about. Some people don't want other coders to be able to do some kind of cool effect or feature of some skin, without somehow figuring it out all by themselves. This is to me extremely childish.

I've been coding skins since Winamp3 was in early alpha stage and I've never ever had that big of an ego that I would just refuse to share some cool idea I've had to make some cool effect.
At most, I've made sure to be first to do something. But as soon as my idea has been released, I've had no problems with other people copying it and using it in other skins.
Ofcourse, I'd like credit for things I've invented, when other people use it, and I usually get that.
Still, some people don't, but so what?
Is it really that important?

If noone shared their exciting new ideas, no other skin than the default modern skin would have a notification window, for example. Would that be so fun?
Didn't think so..

Get off your high horses.

I always share my code with my skins. A long time ago it happened that I didn't share my code, but not anymore, since I learned that I acutally gained more by sharing than by not sharing.

Also, people involved in the new Wasabi project, if you hate this tool, why are you even involved in an opensource project in the first place?

I think this tool is great, mostly because I love maki and I thought that since most coders left Nullsoft, the modern skins would never be possible to use on any other app than Winamp 5.x, which is a big problem for me atleast, who is still hoping for an opensource wasabi.player.

If Winamp 5 modern skins can't be used on any other player without modification, then me, as a skincoder, would have to make several different scripts for the same skin, just to be able to use it on different players.
This was already the case when there was a wasabi.player project for Windows and Winamp5 was released, but only small changes to the script was neccesary so it wasn't _that_ big of a hassle, but if an opensourse wasabi.player was created, without maki, all scripts would have to be rewritten in another language, to be able to use the skin on that player. Which skincoder would do that? Noone.

I don't see what the big problem is.
So people can watch what you've written in your maki scripts, so what?
What is it you've done that is so god damn important to keep secret?
EVERY single big invention, using maki, has been revealed to the public. so like I said before, get off your high horses, you who complain, you borrow other peoples code or ideas all the time yourselves anyways.

I've come up with a few unique ideas and features myself and not a single one of them has never been used in another skin, after I did it. I don't mind at all. I think it's nice that people notice what I do and like what I do, so much that they actually wanna do it themselves.

It's a good thing damnit, it get's you recognition!

And more than anything, this tool is one step further to make other players, including the new opensource Wasabi project, to use modern skins with maki scripts and that's a damn good thing!

Windows or Linux has NOTHING to do with it.
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 02:58   #60
axialix

Wow, that was great Plague. I completely agree with you.
axialix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 08:18   #61
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
....true.... anything more to say? ... no!

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 14:01   #62
bart416

I like the thing but i regret i have to install perl.
bart416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 22:30   #63
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

awesome, you rock ralf. This is very cool.

I learnt a lot of programming on the Psion 5 by decompiling other peoples OPL programs.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 14:39   #64
The Cool Dude

why cant you just make an exe?

The Windows 2000 skin
Attribs Maker
Old 9th March 2005, 21:52   #65
Ralf2

Hi,
two points.
I noticed that the decompiler couldn't handle sub-classes.
The new version 1.1 now does this
You could download the version on my page, but if you are only interested in having a look at working scripts I have another proposal for you.

The MMD3 skin comes with scripts in sources and the author allows the usage of "parts" in your own skins.

Quote:
why cant you just make an exe?
In principle this is possible with Perl, but I don't see the benefit. Perl should be installed on every computer anyway

I think I should keep this as a small hurdle for all script kiddies out there.

------
Oh, I just have another point:
How does the de-compiled code look like?

Like this:
code:

Layer12.onLeftButtonUp(int x, int y)
{
if(( Int14 == 0)) {
if(( ! Group11.isGoingToTarget())) {
Group11.setTargetX(Int17);
Group11.setTargetY(Int18);
Group11.setTargetSpeed(1);
Group11.gotoTarget();

So you see that most variable names get lost, even function names will get lost, except from object functions.
For-loops will get lost (because I am to lazy to implement this)
All comments will get lost.
The code is NOT clumsy and will not run slower than the original.
Old 11th March 2005, 16:10   #66
tracerh
Banned

I see your readme has something like 'don't ripoff other peoples code'. Why don't you just add a feature in mdc so it won't decompile maki files with a 'magic string' defined in them like:

Global String mdc = "Kylie_Protected";

or the inverse, only decompile maki files with a magic string!

Global String mdc = "Girls_Allowed!";

This is easy enough to parse for, and you could respect the wishes of those who want privacy?

Yes, this is not to hard to hack. My view is that anyone who can hack this or can decompile a maki file and understands the output is capable of coding the shit anyway!

I was thinking of doing a non-perl Windows GUI version or frontend GUI... Or does this offend everyones sensibilities?
tracerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 10:14   #67
The Cool Dude

Francis ur link doesn't work!

The Windows 2000 skin
Attribs Maker
Old 12th March 2005, 15:24   #68
Michgelsen
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by tracerh

I was thinking of doing a non-perl Windows GUI version or frontend GUI... Or does this offend everyones sensibilities?
Sounds handy. I don't just copy others' code anyway and distribute my m files with my skin too, so go ahead.
Michgelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 16:19   #69
carlosp
Major Dude

well it would anyway a good idea. i am coder my self and I do not have any problems if any other person uses my code until he gives the credits
carlosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 20:41   #70
xanax

Congratulations for this great tool. Very useful to learn how skins are made. I completely agree with Plague's comments.
xanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2005, 15:02   #71
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

Where do I get to download Perl. I have been looking for ages now.

My MAKI contribs.: STONE
My WebSite My Blog My Skins: fnk 32 Rioport v1 Sienna Burning Steel
My Saying: Eat healthy, Stay fit... Die Anyway
rohan_pwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2005, 15:55   #72
Ralf2

Hi,
I think this was already answered.
Just do Google "perl" and choose the second link. (You could also do the first link but the second says "Downlaoding the Latest version of Perl" so I'd rather choose this
Old 27th April 2005, 13:41   #73
krckoorascic

Send a message via ICQ to krckoorascic Send a message via AIM to krckoorascic Send a message via Yahoo to krckoorascic
yes but download is ~15 MB! and i'm using dial-up and if i try to download it it will take me 5-6 hours with this speed!!! could you just make an exe? pleeeaaaaaazzz!!!! and post it here...
btw, does app written in perl needs any run-time files to run (when compiled to exe)?

krckoorascic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 14:17   #74
Ralf2

Yes, but with the 15MB you get a fantastic scripting language.
I could compile it "in principle" but I don't really like it. After all there is (almost) no way back, once it's compiled...
I see this as the first step for the apprentice skinner.
Old 27th April 2005, 17:07   #75
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

I downloaded ActivePerl. I downloaded you r app. Now how do I run it. Please give better instruction on doing so. I tred running mdc.pl by double-clicking it, but the app. window closes itself autmoatically within a few seconds and nothing appears also. Moreover, when I try to run ActivePerl, all that happens is a ppm> on my left. Please give me some instructions...

Old 28th April 2005, 07:38   #76
Ralf2

So now you have a first class scripting language on your computer! Congratulations.

Now the next step. Like the mc.exe the mdc does not have a graphical user interface. This means you have to tell the program which file you want to decompile.

So you go to the dos-prompt.
You know, typing and such

Please read the README. It explains exactly what to type in.
Old 28th April 2005, 13:38   #77
krckoorascic

Send a message via ICQ to krckoorascic Send a message via AIM to krckoorascic Send a message via Yahoo to krckoorascic
ok i have problems here too
i installed perl in "D:\Perl"
copied "PerlAmp" folder into perl's "lib" fodler ("D:\Perl\lib")
copied "mdc.pl" and "tool" folder into "D:\Perl\bin" (where is perl.exe)
as i use EditPlus, i added mdc to it's tool list with this params:
Command: "D:\Perl\bin\perl.exe" (this is executed when clicked in menu)
Argument: "D:\Perl\bin\mdc.pl" "$(FileDir)\$(FileName)" | indent > "$(FileDir)\$(FileName).m" (arguments passed to command line)
Initial directory: $(FileDir)

but i can't get it to work!
also tryed directly from command promt but nothing...

i readed README... but not helps

krckoorascic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 15:00   #78
Ralf2

Hi,
the readme didn't say anything about copying.

In the file explorer, do a right-click on the decompiler directory and select "Command prompt here".
Then type "perl --help". If you don't get a usage message from perl then you have to add the perl diractory to the path variable ("my computer"->properties->advanced..)

Then type "perl mdc.pl -h" as the readme says.
Read the description and off you go.

I am not sure that you can pipe with your "editplus" (that's what the | character does) and I am pretty sure that you don't have the "indent" program on your Windows, but you don't need it.

Try this on the command line, so you can see the error messages.

You are learning much here don't you
Old 28th April 2005, 17:32   #79
rohan_pwln
Major Dude

Ralf2, I and also the Cool Dude really cannot use mdc. Please give more accurate instructions. Even your README wasn't helpful. We're not Perl experts like you, rather I don't even know the 'P' of Perl...

Old 28th April 2005, 18:22   #80
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

I'm no Perl expert either, but it didn't seem that difficult to get working. The instructions in the readme file and on the -h switch were plenty sufficient.
[list=1][*]I installed ActivePerl[*]I copied the .maki file I wanted to decompile to the Maki Decompiler directory that contains mdc.pl[*]I opened a command prompt to that same folder[*]I typed this at the command prompt: perl mdc.pl system.maki > system.m[*]The file system.m now contains the decompiled code[/list=1]
If typing "perl" at the command prompt causes an error, you'll want to check your system's environment variables, but the ActivePerl installation took care of that for me.
rpeterclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins