Old 24th November 2003, 13:10   #1
ohhjebus

Rating and iTunes

Does anybody have any idea if it would be possible to import the ratings for mp3s from iTunes? Cause that would be nice. Also, being able to export to iTunes would also be sweet.
ohhjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2003, 19:14   #2
RoyalEF

Well I !hope! I-Tunes uses the standard ID3 tag POPM (Popularity). That tag attaches a ratings per email address(user). However my MP3 rated in I-Tunes have a "CM1" tag which I can't find documentation on, which means its proprietary.

I-tunes exports everything. Just no import. The POPM field was supposed to run a rating from 1 to 255. Apple uses 20,40,60,80,100 for the five star ratings. I don't know what Winamp does- my beta2 doesn't have ratings. Also there is an EXPORT PLAYLIST in MediaLibrary but it is grayed out.

It would be doubtful that programs offer to import eachother ratings. The most we can hope for is that they offer to display other POPM fields...such as show a grayed rating..indicating one not set by this user/program but existing in the file. Then you can always replace with your own. Of course if that CM1 field is propreitary Winamp (or others) would have to specifically look for it.
RoyalEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2003, 19:36   #3
ohhjebus

well i've got about half my iTunes librabry rated, and RC8 of winamp has rating in the medi library, and It doesn't show any ratings there. Anyone else know anything about that?
ohhjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2003, 21:03   #4
Jstphish

We probably won't find anyone working on this until after the SDK is released unforntunately. I've been looking for something like this myself.
Jstphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 02:06   #5
Ebany

You know...

Worst come to worst, someone could probably write a perl script to convert ratings back and forth between the two systems. iTunes has the ratings in an XML file, which would be easy to parse. I'm not sure how Winamp stores ratings, but if it is a similar methodology, it would be a non-issue.

But ideally, I would like to see a direct import feature! I have an iPod, and use iTunes on the Mac at work running music off my iPod (rating as I go), and iTunes on my desktop (for iPod interaction), and am testing Winamp 5 on my laptop (both PC, both XP), so compatibility is going to be an issue for me.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 05:23   #6
Francis
French Admin

ml_impex imports from and exports to itunes xml format, including ratings, get it here : http://bluemars.org/ml_impex

Francis.

Bluemars - Music For The Space Traveller
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 05:27   #7
muckster

So how exactly do I use this? When I select "import database" from the menu, a window opens that lets me look for iTunes XML Library--but where do I find it? Similarly, when I export, where do I save the database?

Thanks!
muckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 07:13   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Not that I use iTunes, but apparently the library file can be found @
My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml

You can export/save the Winamp database to any suitable folder of your choice.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 13:12   #9
muckster

Oh. I see.

I don't use iTunes either, so I was hoping to get the ratings straight off the iPod. Is there any way to synchronize iPod ratings with Winamp?
Old 16th April 2004, 19:45   #10
electricmime
Major Dude

well.. you could hook it up to itunes, (which sees the ratings) and then sync up with your itunes library(which should change the ratings on your songs in your itunes library) and then do the whole import export thing... (its a little work, but its better than having to rerate your entire collection again)

also... you should request syncing/transfering ratings in the ipod plugin thread or its alternate page

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2004, 19:31   #11
muckster

Thanks, electricmime. I have it working now like you said, but it's a bit of a hassle. I like to rate my collection as I go on the iPod, and right now, I have to 1. synch the ipod with iTunes 2. export the library to the ML 3. make playlists in Winamp 4. export the playlists to iTunes 5. synch iTunes with the iPod again.

It would be much sweeter if I could just ditch iTunes altogether and get my ratings straight into Winamp, which is a much superior program all around.
Old 20th April 2004, 19:43   #12
muckster

Bless you all, I just saw that MLipod 1.6 supports ratings synch. Hooray and a fat thank you! iTunes > uninstalled!
Old 17th January 2012, 21:10   #13
wursthand

try out mp3 rating friend here http://www.mp3ratingfriend.com
wursthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 06:00   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
can you do a site in english?

also, an app to get winamps ratings in my tags into itunes on a windows or mac machine would be great, (as well as folder art).

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 03:02   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
here is something that might work to get id3 POPM ratings into itunes, on mac or windows:

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/hel...esSaveSettings

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist