Old 8th October 2009, 06:42   #2401
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I bought a space heater. It gets a bit cold in the garage where I sleep.

There is no sig.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:33   #2402
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Gasoline
Dawn dish detergent
Cascade dishwasher powder
Sam Adams Octoberfest 6-pack
Honey Comb cereal
gallon of milk
boneless eye of round steak (7 cuts)
Combos snacks
soy milk (Renee is lactose intolerant)
carrots
ranch dressing
ultra-low-temperature windshield washer fluid
applesauce
cranberry juice
hamburger buns
band aids
more gasoline for other vehicle
batteries
dozen roses from Kiwanis Club for Renee (only $15 for fund raiser)
slices of pizza, popcorn, and Sierra Mist at volleyball game
bacon cheeseburger and fries between work and football game
hot chocolate at football game
more gasoline
co-pay for hepatitis B vaccination booster shot (will be reimbursed by work luckily)
co-pay for physical exam (will be reimbursed by work luckily)
training credits for licensure renewal requirements
laundry detergent
Bar-Keepers-Friend cleaner
plane tickets to Mexico (Renee's brother getting married at his timeshare down there)
final payoff for the '09 Tacoma (title will be mailed to me this week)
rubber bed mat for it
oil/filter for it
stamps/postage
Ortho Evera
generic Sudafed (nasal decongestant)
cell phone bill
public utilities bill (electric, trash, sewer, water, recycling, leaf removal)
Mid American Energy bill (natural gas)
MediaCom bill (internet, TV, land phone)
6-month insurance bill for vehicles
2-cycle oil for mixing with gasoline for engine-run tools
chainsaw chain sharpening service
bar oil for chainsaw
new plastic gas can with annoying required flow arrester spout
CK dress socks
sweater for Renee

There's more probably, but I don't remember...

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 11th October 2009, 22:09   #2403
rockouthippie
Banned

Bicycle parts:

Suspension seat post, new gel seat, handlebars, tire pump.

It is amazing how much faster you can ride when you have a bike that is set up exactly the way you want it.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:51   #2404
lavaboy

Send a message via ICQ to lavaboy
Sidekick LX 09 on saturday. Oh ya my halo!
Old 14th October 2009, 21:34   #2405
fc*uk

Nice try.
Old 15th October 2009, 03:14   #2406
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88

The tiger stripe boone hat was a gift for my brother's birthday this past Saturday; The ACU flashbang pouch was bought for myself on an impulse

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 15th October 2009, 03:49   #2407
rockouthippie
Banned

[img]http://retrovision*****wp-content/uploads/BbLkJPBGkKGrHqEOKiEEq4GJ0fwBKuzNQZSCQ_12.jpg[/img]

A Zimbabwe 100 Trillion dollar bill. Today that's worth about 3 or 4 cents US. Zimbabwe hit it's record inflation rate of 87 sextillion percent in 2008 and has since removed 12 digits from their currency.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:29   #2408
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
I was going to buy one of those Z100M notes a few months ago when they first came out. They were worth $250 then.

I just bought a set of Z10T, Z50T and Z100T notes on ebay, for 5 bucks with free shipping.

Old 16th October 2009, 08:18   #2409
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Holy shit I had no idea it was that bad.

Old 16th October 2009, 20:46   #2410
fc*uk

Do want.

Oh, actually last bought: MixedInKey. Screw actually keying music anymore. Yeah, I'm that lazy.

In reality this software gets it +/- a key about 80% of the time. You know how much time that amount of general accuracy is going to save me?
Old 16th October 2009, 23:31   #2411
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quite a bit - I've been doing the same kind of work in AcidPro a lot (but not in real time). Changing key without tempo alterations or vice versa is an incredibly valuable ability.

Old 17th October 2009, 11:21   #2412
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Just ordered an i5 750, MSI P55-GD65, 4GB 1600Mhz, ATI HD 5770 and Win7 HP.

mmmmm can't wait!

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
Old 17th October 2009, 18:24   #2413
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

^ Thanks for making my e8400 3.6GHz, Gigabyte X48-DS4, 4GB DDR2 960MHz, and ATI HD 4850 feel like old junk!

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 17th October 2009, 19:16   #2414
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

<-- AMD X2 4200+ (running @ 2.2Ghz), 2GB DDR2 (some generic speed/don't care), GeForce 7600 GS (the cheapish ASUS one, with a heatsink instead of a fan).

Soo much tape & heat shrink tubing holding expanded/dodgy cabling together. Including the ATX power block...
Old 18th October 2009, 01:56   #2415
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

A hard drive enclosure and some blank DVDs. http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_bags/4021132366/
Old 18th October 2009, 06:17   #2416
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Bags
<-- AMD X2 4200+ (running @ 2.2Ghz), 2GB DDR2 (some generic speed/don't care), GeForce 7600 GS (the cheapish ASUS one, with a heatsink instead of a fan).

Soo much tape & heat shrink tubing holding expanded/dodgy cabling together. Including the ATX power block...
Mmmm... 7600GS ... No secure media path support. Barely adequate for HDTV... I just replaced one with a Radeon 4550 (DDR3) which is far more suitable. Unless they almost gave it to you.... And if you expect a BD player to be in the future of the machine..

If the cheapo DDR2 gives you BSOD errors put it in every other slot so the machine doesn't try to read it as dual channel. Really to get the memory (unless you are lucky) working right with the dual memory channel architecture you need matched high quality DIMMS. The can be as slow as 400 Mhz, but they've gotta be good to run dual channel. I have a cheapo set of 1GB DIMMS I bought off ebay that will not work in dual channel. Well, actually they work... the machine just BSODs a lot.

Something about the RAM timing makes matched DIMMS necessary.

Other than that, you should like X2 Athlon and it's comparatively pretty easy on the power bill. 90ish max watts is easy to keep cool. I'm still running a couple of 3800X2 Athlons that I haven't seen a need to upgrade.
Old 18th October 2009, 07:06   #2417
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Mmmm... 7600GS ... No secure media path support. Barely adequate for HDTV...
Was my lowest spec choice way back when I put this thing together. I don't do much gaming, and I had to cut a corner somewhere. It hasn't proved a problem so far, probably because i don't play recent games, don't care about HDTV, and don't know what 'secure media path' is (I googled, didn't see anything that looked relevant)
Old 18th October 2009, 09:36   #2418
rockouthippie
Banned

Secure media path technology is a new copy protection scheme for BD drives that requires compliant drives, operating system, video card and monitor to allow you to play BD movies.

My main purpose in replacing the 7600GS was to be able plug my HDTV in with an HDMI cable. A secondary consideration was to be able to play BD. A side effect is that DDR3 video cards are noticeably faster, I have a TV card, and playing off the air HDTV on the GS card was just a little light. .

I'm still using the 7600GS in a machine. In it's day, it wasn't a slouchy card. I think I paid about $100 for it. It's sorta remarkable that a $50 card is an upgrade.

I did put a BD drive in the machine and my opinion is basically "who cares?" BD has a better copy protection scheme. Was that a feature? It also is rendering a lot of capable computers (like yours and formerly mine) obsolete unless you wanted a new video card and monitor. I still don't have a monitor that will play BD disks. That's why I haven't upgraded the "other" machine containing the 7600GS.

Really, I'm finding damn few reasons to build a new computer and I am due. I usually do that about every 3 years. It's been five.

I noticed Ted was talking about his lackluster experience with the latest quad core tech.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 18th October 2009 at 09:52.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:12   #2419
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
copy protection
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Bags
A hard drive enclosure and some blank DVDs.
*Ahem* I'll be keeping away from BD for awhile then...

As for upgrade, I have no need. I already have a terabyte hard drive, which I moved into the external case, but I don't really need it since I eventually burn everything off. Two more teras set up raid 1 in the system for backup and speed reasons would be nice, but eh. Being a pirate who shares via sneaker-net I can get most of it back pretty quickly if I really need to anyway.

I haven't even upgraded software in a long time, besides firefox/firewall/antivirus security upgrades, and they're minor. Just, no need.

When I bought the motherboard (M2N-SLI deluxe) I thought it would do me for quite a few upgrades, but now I reckon by the time I need an upgrade the motherboard will be almost obsolete. I haven't been keeping up with hardware knowledge, for all I know modern computers run off of kittens.

There comes a point where the upgrades just arn't necessary, beyond 'it's broken'.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:20   #2420
rockouthippie
Banned

I used to record a lot of movies from HBO etc. back in the day, but I use rent by mail, online movie stuff and record TV for timeshifting it.

I just sort of lost interest in maintaining a movie library. It's because the availability of movies has gotten so good.

Rent by mail etc. grants access to about 100,000 movies, so unlike the old days there is always something I haven't watched. I just don't find myself re-watching stuff much.

I have a DVD burner. It's just not something I use much.

I do think that the point of BD was to copy protect things better, rather than provide a truly better media experience. I think the point of Vista was more to create a better DRM platform. At least I think the effort in both should have been driven by consumer concerns more than movie company concerns. The amount of effort trying to stop copying might have been spent making something we wanted to buy.
Old 18th October 2009, 14:55   #2421
deathazre
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deathazre Send a message via AIM to deathazre
2010 ARRL Handbook
Old 18th October 2009, 18:08   #2422
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The only problem I had with the quad core (I use a Core2Duo Q9550 OC'd to 3.5GHz) was the unbelievable amount of heat that it was producing with only the stock cooler, even before overclocking. Once I picked up a good aftermarket CPU cooler, things were fine, even for a relatively bold overclock.

As far as RAM goes, I have had good luck with the 4x4GB G. Skill kit that I use - it gives me transcoding and render times that are extremely short by allowing me to use RAM as a much faster "disc" (rather than dealing with the speed bottleneck created by hard drives). Plus, I never have to worry about a hard drive needing to be used for extra virtual memory.

Last thing bought:
Over $950 in work on the Camry (luckily almost all covered by insurance). I was hit by some rocks that fell out of a semi truck. Most of the work was prep for painting, painting, and replacing the windshield.

If I were replacing a machine now, I'd try and wait for 4GB sticks of fast 2000+MHz DDR3 RAM, but I do think the i7 and i5 processors are good choices, mostly because of the return of hyperthreading.

Old 21st October 2009, 07:10   #2423
rockouthippie
Banned

What takes so much RAM? I have some pretty heavily used computers and 2GB seems to be fine with Vista. I do video encoding and sometimes some animation using Blender. There would be a place that some more RAM would help, but I can get a machine pretty loaded up w/o swapping in 2GB.

I am about due to build a new machine. It's purpose would be to do some animations because I am taking a class at the community college in animation.

Frankly though, paying the power bill on the quad core monster to do web browsing seems a little ???

I've been replacing computers on a 3-5 year schedule for decades. This time I'm just not finding the "whoah cool!" factor.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:08   #2424
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Probably the simplest explanation is that some new media rendering/transcoding programs can temporarily replace relatively slow hard drives with relatively fast excess RAM space.

Vista will run idle at higher or lower amounts of RAM depending on how much you have to increase performance. For example, it will run stable with less than 1GB if need be, but will idle constantly just below or above 3GB on my machine, even though I haven't actively added any background processes.

As far as power goes, despite this having the potential to use far more juice than much lower grade computers, the motherboard and other features make it use a lot less overall, by somehow only using what's needed when needed. When rendering or gaming, I'm guessing this thing uses a lot of electricity, but when idle, it uses a lot less electricity than older computers with only a miniscule fraction of it's capabilities. If you really want to lower your power bill while still having a capable computer, get a Centrino2 laptop. They're really good at only taking a sip of the juice.

As for computers now, I think the processors, video cards, optical drives, and case options have plenty of appeal. Some people are waiting for duel quad core processor motherboards to become common. I think some macs might be available like that already.
I think hard drives seem to be at a standstill. A few options for 1.5-2TB or Velocoraptors/solid state for speed have been around for a while. RAID isn't really new, so no wow there.
I still wish DDR3 4GB RAM sticks would become common for even faster rendering.
I'm also curious about USB3 (rather than the old 1.1 or the current 2.0); I'd like to see what that could do for fast external data backup of huge hoards of files.

With all that said, it's hard to find common home software that really pushes the limits of hardware already available, and internet provider bandwidth is far below computer hardware capabilities, so computers just aren't being released with a lot of massive improvements in hardware as much anymore, in other words, not much wow factor anymore. All I see are lots of aesthetic improvements on the cases, salesmen trying to get you to "need" blue-ray disc drives, and people thinking that they need a whole new computer because their old one doesn't have a camera card slot or something like that.

Back on topic - last things bought - more gasoline, cough drops, doctor visit, antihistamine pills, antibiotic pills

Old 22nd October 2009, 05:10   #2425
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Picked up a desert MARPAT and UCP patterned bandana at the Dixie Surplus, and a copy of the final season DVD box set of The Unit at BME

Also picked up a copy of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen yesterday at work

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:08   #2426
fc*uk

Times 12.

It's that good.
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:09   #2427
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^never seen it before - Where does one find that, and how much was the case if you don't mind my asking?

Old 23rd October 2009, 02:22   #2428
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I was about to post the same question, ted.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:50   #2429
fc*uk

I got it through wineaccess.com . The best price I found was $12.50 a bottle; pretty good seeing as how it sells for $18 in Michigan. There was a 10% discount on case purchases, so the total without shipping was $150.

Seriously, the wine taste like fruit when in your mouth. The aftertaste is coffee that changes into choclate cake. Quite interesting, IMHO.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:01   #2430
rockouthippie
Banned

That's way too green to drink. To the cellar for 3-4 years. At least save a couple bottles

Better is d'Arenberg Footbolt, Laughing Magpie. Again it reaches it's prime when it's 4 or 5 years old. If you can find a bottle of the 2004 ($25-40) you'll see what I mean.

The difference between a $12 bottle of Shiraz and a $30 one.. time...

Last edited by rockouthippie; 23rd October 2009 at 18:29.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:12   #2431
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Two struts, a tire and a few hours of labor :\

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:15   #2432
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

One go out on you?

Old 23rd October 2009, 22:21   #2433
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I didn't have a highway breakdown, thankfully.

While driving the other day, I heard a squeaking sound coming from the back wheels. It seemed to squeak once per wheel rotation.

I didn't have time to bring it in until today and the diagnosis was that the two rear struts and a tire needed replacing. The mechanic showed me the tire and it felt almost lumpy.

I told him to just go ahead and do it and he was able to get the job completed just a few hours after I brought it in.

Grand total: $580

Old 23rd October 2009, 22:43   #2434
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'm glad you didn't have a blowout. A while back, Renee used to have a '99 Pontiac Grand Am GT (I called it the "Grand Damnit"). When driving it out of her parents' driveway, the left front spring broke, causing the tire to go up into the wheel well and lock up. If it had happened only 10 minutes later, it would have happened at 70 mph on the very busy stretch of Interstate 77 between Akron and Canton, OH. We had no warning signs, it just collapsed. That car looked "badass", had lots of juice under the hood, and got lots of compliments, but it was otherwise full of suck.

I'm glad for your sake you had warning signs and that you were able to fix it before it caused a serious problem like stranding you or causing an accident.

Old 26th October 2009, 17:18   #2435
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I normally don't put my shopping list here, but tonight I'm making my famous "Widdy's Stuffed Shells". So, I bought some excellent Asiago to add to the Ricotta, the Parm. Reg. and Mozzarella. (With Sauce, Natch!)
Old 28th October 2009, 06:26   #2436
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

mmmmmmm... Sounds good! Perhaps I can has?

I just picked up a bed mat for the truck. This is the pic from the web site (this is short bed that comes with longer cab, I have a slightly shorter cab and longer bed) - I'll post my own pics of it and other work I had done on the "New Toy!" thread later.

Old 28th October 2009, 07:21   #2437
DrO

finally (after 15 weeks waiting) replaced my 11 year old Rover 114 with a new Hyundai i20 Black CRDi Comfort. bit sad to see the older car go as only had it for 14months but managed to put 10,000 miles on it (not bad for a little car) without too many issues. so now hoping the i20 will do well (seems so from the first 20 miles i've driven it).

-daz
Old 28th October 2009, 16:12   #2438
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Well I have not bought it yet but I'm in the looks for a MPO5 or A4LD transmission for my bronco along with a manual Transfer case and manual hubs.

I'll be hitting the junk yards soon.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 28th October 2009, 16:43   #2439
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Windows 7

I feel dirty.

[edit] DrO, you had a Metro? Good little car those, so long as you avoid the rusting ones and the early annodised wheels on the turbo (they were so smooth that the tyres continued turning around the hub on early models.)

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:19   #2440
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Vie? You bought Windows? Jebus, there must be a new world order.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions