Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th May 2009, 11:17   #1
Squishy Tia

SNESAmp and Volume Normalization

Yewwo

I have WinAmp 5.552 and SNESAmp (v334) and am having a slight issue with the output to .WAV being auto-normalized. Being somewhat hearing impaired, I prefer normalization off as I know my way around amps, volume levels and clipping and thus know how to prevent such (I have $1800 speakers - I made sure to learn what not to do before hooking them up).

Is there a way to prevent WinAmp or SNESAmp from auto-normalizing the output? What I'm experiencing is that the beginning of the sound file is louder than the rest. The normalization usually appears to be kicking in around the middle of each SPC's main loop for some reason.

The reasons I don't like normalization are twofold: sound quality loss and preservation of accoustic ambience. The reason I'm outputting these to .WAV instead of just listening to them outright (which I still do at home) is that I am putting these on my iPod for when I'm driving to/from work so I have something to listen to other than KCBS (gg Bay Area traffic).

If anybody that knows which particular prefrence functions I'm overlooking I would greatly appreciate the info on how to fix this issue.

Thank you for your time!

Edit: Upon further listening, what appears to be happening is a slight and gradual ramp-up in volume at the beginning of each song and then a drop in volume about 1db below the originating volume, resulting in a further percieved volume drop.

- Squishy Tia!

Last edited by Squishy Tia; 28th May 2009 at 12:36.
Squishy Tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion