Old 1st January 2013, 19:29   #1
Bulldogg629

Change File name format for sync to sansa clip?

Ive started using winamp to sync individual songs to my sansa clip but it is syncing them with a goofy file name format. In the music folder on the player is puts a folder with artist name, then inside that a folder for album, then in that the file renamed as "track number - song title". I would prefer to just have each file copied into the main music folder with no additional structure or renaming. I looked up how to do this on the site here and it says to use Preferences > Portables > Advanced. But it says that is for supported devices only and I guess my clip must not be supported because there is no advanced option. Is there any way to do this? It seems like this should be possible, as I could do it if I just found each song on my hard drive and copy and pasted it over into my clip via windows explorer. Its just so much easier when listening to winamp and I hear a song Id like on my player that I can right click and send to portable.
Bulldogg629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:27   #2
AusPanda

I haven't much experience in synching to portables but could you instead use Send to Playlist, using a playlist specifically for the portable, and then synch the playlist to the portable?
AusPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 10:00   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

When you looked at Preferences > Portables > Advanced, did you have your Clip attached to the PC? These settings pages only appear once the player is attached.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 11:22   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

And you should wait a few seconds for the additional options to appear. On my system it can take up to 15 seconds after connecting my player.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:54   #5
Bulldogg629

I had hoped this was the solution but when I checked, no dice

Old 4th January 2013, 17:01   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Okay... odd. Time to get hacky and investigate deeper.

Standard disclaimers - back up anything you mess around with so you can restore it if needed.

Open your Sansa Clip on the PC as a USB Device. Now look into the root folder. Locate pmp_usb.ini and open it up.

Paste the contents of that file here. This is the file that controls the Winamp options for that device.

When I attach my Blackberry phone my pmp_usb.ini currently looks like the following:
Quote:
[ml_pmp]
syncOnConnect_time=1357319321
adiv1pos=50000
adiv2pos=50000
syncOnConnect_hours=12
FillPercent=90
lastusedencoder=1128352838
media_numfilters=2
media_filter0=Artist
media_filter1=Album
media_filter2=Album
extractpath=F:\Users\BatterPudding\Music
extractfmt2=<Artist> - <Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>
[audio_mp3l]
conf=800000004001000080000000010000000700000002000000020000004D
[audio_flac]
compression=5
[pmp_usb]
songFormat=Q:\blackberry\music\<AlbumArtist>\<Album>\## - <Title>
pldir=Q:\blackberry\playlists\
supportedFormats=mp3;wav;wma;m4a;flac
pl_write_mode=1
Now, to be clear, I don't often use Winamp to sync. I am an old school drag and drop through windows man (mainly 'cos I have to manually rename the artwork anyway). But I am wondering if you could modify your pmp_usb.ini to include the [pmp_usb] section with the paths tweaked for your device? Specifically the songFormat entry being the important one.

In the above example I have set my PC so that everytime I attach the phone it is always on the Q: drive. And my phone places its music in a \blackberry\music\ folder which will obviously be different for you.

Old 4th January 2013, 18:33   #7
Bulldogg629

I dont seem to have a pmp_usb.ini. I have DID.bin, MTABLE.SYS, RES_INFO.SYS, SYS_-CONF.SYS and version.sdk. Thats when opening the clip in MSC mode, when I open it in MTP mode I can only see the music/podcast/audiobooks etc folders.

Ah though I checked now with it in MSC mode and I do get an "advanced" option. Should I just leave it in msc now then? Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 18:50   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Looking online I see that MTP and MSC modes are defined here

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...2/~/mtp-or-msc

As MTP is all about protected DRM music - I'd ignore it.

MSC mode just treats the clip as a Flash drive. Which means Winamp will handle it in a generic manner. This will be why you now have an Advanced option.

And I bet once you start changing the options on that Advanced page, you'll then see a pmp_usb.ini appear.

Use MTP mode and all should then start working as expected.
Old 5th January 2013, 00:41   #9
Bulldogg629

You're right, pmp_usb.ini did show up and I was able to change the settings in advanced to sync my songs just how I want them when I was in MSC mode. But when I switch back to MTP both the .ini file disappears again and my files go back to being synced in the original way. Also I notice that the songs I put on the drive in MTP don’t show up when Im in MSC and vice versa. But I can leave it in MSC full time and that should work out fine unless you have any more ideas for making it work in MTP. Either way, thank you very much for the help.
Old 5th January 2013, 00:47   #10
DrO

MTP is handled by a different pmp_* plug-in which is why you're seeing the difference as fundamentally they're handled in different ways so just because the UI in Winamp is generally the same, the stuff going on underneath it all is not.

MSC mode is what you need to use with the Clip device in order to have the extra features that pmp_usb provides (as that plug-in although it does things in a more basic manner, as you're seeing on the advanced tab it's able to be configured in a more flexible manner unlike the 'fun' that MTP mode requires).

so really there is nothing else to be suggested other than just use MSC mode and leave it at that if you want to use Winamp to manage the Clip device.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 03:28   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i'm confused by this... how or why is bulldog switching between MTP and MSC modes? why not just always use/leave it in MSC mode if thats what works best with winamp?

what is the reason to ever use MTP outside of DRM?

(and i don't really understand the difference between them, except that MSC sounds like normal USB mass storage mode to me)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support