Old 16th February 2019, 00:40   #1
tytheguy888
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Import XML Files After Editing for New Drive Letter

Hi Winamp Forums,

I adore Winamp.

So, I finally got to upgrade my computer, and the library from the past installation was on another local drive F: . So, obviously, when I go to import the XML file library database, the files appear to be missing and unplayable. I figured as much, so I opened the database files in Notepad++ and started by changing the drive directories from "F:\Music" to "C:\Users\Tyler\My Music" and such. This was still unsuccessful as the files still reported to be missing.

Before migrating to my new SSD, I tested to see if the export and import would be successful. It seemed like this would be a cinch.
I created XML, CSV, and m3u files for this task, but so far, I have only found that Winamp will accept XML within its import / export functionality.

In the XML file, I have seen that the files are listed as such:
code:

<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/C:%5CUsers%5CTyler%5CMy%20Music%5CTyler%27s%20Music%20Collection%5C12%20Stones%5C12%20Stones%5C02%20Broken.mp3</string>


I tried a combination of removing "file://localhost/" or just "file://" as a prefix, but it still will not locate the music files.
I highly doubt that the use of %20 and %5C alters the file path, but I did change the string to the normal format of C:\Users\Tyler\My Music\Tyler's Music Collection. Nope. Didn't work either.

I can add the files using the "Add Media to Library" function, and I can have the metadata as I have carefully, meticulously, and laboriously added all metadata using a combo of mp3tag and Winamp, but if I cannot figure out how to overcome this challenge and import the XML file successfully, I will lose the Producer metadata, and that makes me die.

Does anyone around have any experience with such an issue?

I've already wiped the old HDD, so there's no turning back now and trying the Winamp Backup Tool that people here have discussed in the past.


Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
I'll look forward to giving back to the community (if I am knowledgeable enough to contribute).


-ty
tytheguy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 00:34   #2
tytheguy888
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Fixed

I fixed it !!

Not that anyone really cares, but here's what I did:

First of all, the XML exported from my past Windows machine had three broken references for some reason to three tracks that had previously been sorted. Weird. Also, the drive letter needed to be changed in the XML file, so I had that right.

The big issue was this: The filepath C:\Users\{USERNAME}\My Music is NOT the correct path. It is C:\Users\{USERNAME}\Music. For some unknown reason, Windows displays that folder in Explorer as "My Music" when that confuses what the actual filepath really is.

Also, the XML files include a reference to a key and track ID, which are both identical to each other. For example, the 850th track in your collection would be key 850 and track ID 850. It does not matter in what order those variables / columns appear in. Just get your filepath right.


Smell ya later.
tytheguy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
importing, library, metadata, xml

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump