Old 3rd October 2010, 17:36   #1
nametaken1

set skins directory moves files

Greetings all,

Please let me know if this is an intended feature...

I just upgraded to 5.581, and when I set the skins directory (skins > skins browser > set skins directory), Winamp not only changes the directory, but also moves all of the files located in the old folder to the new one.

The folder only contains classic skins (wsz), but the Bento folders were added after the first directory change. For fun, I added a text file (txt) the folder, and it also was relocated when I changed the skins directory again.

This issue seems somewhat related to:
Uninstalling skin led me to missing folders.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317992

and mildy related to:
Bento and Skins Directory
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=289803

The only plugins should be the ones that came with the Winamp download. The WinXP install is fresh, without the "get more out of winamp" on installation.

This result occurs on two computers:
1) WinXP, Home Edition, SP3
2) Win7, Home Premium, 64-bit
nametaken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:40   #2
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nametaken1 View Post
I just upgraded to 5.581, and when I set the skins directory (skins > skins browser > set skins directory), Winamp not only changes the directory, but also moves all of the files located in the old folder to the new one.
that is by design as most users are unlikely to have put other files into the folder. it was raised internally a while back but for simplicity in the feature which should be a one-off action once done didn't warrant the extra few hours of work i'd have had to put in for free to do explicit checks on what is being moved (plus the simple method is a lot cleaner code to use), hence a copy all action was done on what is in the folder at the time.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:52   #3
nametaken1

Ok, thanks. I guess I missed this change - Winamp 2x doesn't seem to load Unicode, so I finally upgraded.
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:20   #4
DrO

it was done with the 5.58 series as Winamp really needs to stop storing skins in the program files folder so this the start for making it easier to move things which improves compatibility on Vista / Windows 7 OSes.

-daz
Old 4th October 2010, 01:22   #5
nametaken1

Ahh, thanks for the tip. I installed 5.571, which should suit my needs, but I can understand if most users follow a once-and-done approach on the directory.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:59   #6
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It simply makes no sense, if you change the skin directory but all skins are still located in the obsolete dir.

Why this is a reason for you to use 5.57, I really don't check.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 23:47   #7
nametaken1

I like to have my skins categorized into different folders (all within my personal files folder). When I want to change the current skin to a different one, I simple set the directory.

In 5.58, when I feel like switching from a Blue skin to a Red skin, changing the skins directory also moves all Blue skins into the Red folder. If I then decide that I want something green, then all the Blue AND Red skins get moved into the Green folder. Do this a few times and all the skins end up in one folder.

I prefer to keep different folders for the different skins because it allows me to more easily find what I want. If 50+ skins show up in the browser, it takes a while to find the one I want.
Old 5th October 2010, 06:58   #8
Lady Elwen

Wow, this is the dumbest new "feature" ever. At least give us the option to turn it off!

It took me a while to figure out where all my files were going. Also why Windows kept asking me if I wanted to let Winamp mess with my computer.

I organize my skins into different directories, just like nametaken1 does. I also have a special directory where I keep my skins-in-progress, which I don't appreciate getting mixed up with finished skins.

Guess it's time to go find an old installer...
Lady Elwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 07:15   #9
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

nametaken1:

Well, that makes sense, maybe be Yes/No popup could be implemented to ask, if it should move files or not.

Lady Elwen:

When you change the skin dir, you must figure out, where your files are? I'd start searching in the new set skin folder first.

When you dislike a feature, it doesn't mean, that it's useless for the rest of the world too.

And like I said above, maybe they implement a yes/no prompt, which should make all people happy.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:27   #10
nametaken1

Koopa:
Yes, a popup would be a nice touch.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if someone set the skins directory to a high-level directory, say C:\, and then decides to switch it to someplace else? I hope that Winamp wouldn't try to do something foolish.
Old 11th October 2010, 09:11   #11
DrO

well i'd never expected people used the feature in such a weird manner otherwise i'd never have made the patch work as it does (since it's intended really for noobish users when experiencing skin install issues on Vista / Windows 7).

it's been months since i did the patch though i did think i'd made it not work on the root folder but i guess i'll have to go back and check it out if the change in general is causing too much of an issue (another reason why i shouldn't just provide patches for the core... *shrugs* )

-daz
Old 11th October 2010, 09:42   #12
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Nah, blame me, was my idea. I never had expected, that people use such weird skin organization on their local drives.

If you change the skin folder, there should be at least a prompt, if the skins should be removed to the new location. But the old behavior just sucked. Set a new skin folder > all skins must be moved manually. That was crap too.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
skins, skins directory