Old 14th January 2012, 14:37   #1
Ed8839KD8

Podcast downloads stop at 99%

My current settings allow two podcasts to download at the same time. When the first one gets to 99% downloading halts and neither progresses regardless of how long I wait. If I shutdown Winamp I usually have to go into the task manager to kill a Winamp process which fails to close normally.

Winamp Version: 5.623 (but noticed this on 5.621 as well).

I noticed this happening a few months ago but haven't had the time to fix it. It might have occurred after a Winamp update but I'm not sure. There's free room on the hard drive where the files are to be saved and the permissions on the file folders are ok. This occurs for different podcasts and sources so I don't think it is related to any particular one. I looked through this forum and the FAQ and couldn't find anyone with the same problem and a solution.
Ed8839KD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 16:11   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Strange... that would be the point when the download renames the temp file as the real thing. Does this happen to ALL of your podcasts?

I assume you are fully service packed?

What Anti-Virus do you have there? Try disabling it for a bit and download another podcast. Could be something confused with its Resident Shield feature.

I use 64bit Vista and never had any podcast issues like this.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 18:35   #3
Ed8839KD8

Not sure what you mean by fully service packed. My operating system is up to date with all the patches. Also upgraded to the latest version of Winamp this morning.

I tried disabling all my virus protection, windows blocking and firewalls but that didn't solve the problem.

This seems to happen with any podcast. Also noticing now that if I start Winamp and then immediately shut it down it doesn't close properly. Leaving a winamp process running which I have to shut down manually with the task manager. This process isn't the winamp agent process either. I shut that down earlier.
Ed8839KD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 18:57   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Service packed meant updates installed.

The firewall would not be relevant here. The reason I was testing the anti-virus was to see if it was messing with the files during saving and something going wrong. You can put that back now.

How many podcasts have you got? Maybe worth closing Winamp, renaming the files that hold the podcast info, then restarting. Add a single podcast and see if it completes.

The podcast files you need to rename are as follows:

%appdata%\Winamp\ml\downloads.xml
%appdata%\Winamp\ml\feeds.xml
%appdata%\Winamp\ml\rss.xml

Just change them to "hiddenfeeds.xml" and "hiddenrss.xml". Or something like that. This will let you put them back again after the test we are doing.

Once you add your test podcast, new copies of feeds.xml and rss.xml are created.

If you are trying to close Winamp and it stays running - have you checked if there are any downloads marked as in progress? It could be that you have corrupted one of these two files.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:25   #5
joebloggscity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed8839KD8 View Post
My current settings allow two podcasts to download at the same time. When the first one gets to 99% downloading halts and neither progresses regardless of how long I wait. If I shutdown Winamp I usually have to go into the task manager to kill a Winamp process which fails to close normally.

Winamp Version: 5.623 (but noticed this on 5.621 as well).

I noticed this happening a few months ago but haven't had the time to fix it. It might have occurred after a Winamp update but I'm not sure. There's free room on the hard drive where the files are to be saved and the permissions on the file folders are ok. This occurs for different podcasts and sources so I don't think it is related to any particular one. I looked through this forum and the FAQ and couldn't find anyone with the same problem and a solution.
same settings for me, and on one RSS, i am getting the same problem...
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 10:35   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggscity View Post
same settings for me, and on one RSS, i am getting the same problem...
Just one podcast? That is weird. A problem like that would more point at the specific podcast as the problem if your other podcasts are okay.

I would delete the troubled podcast from the list of subscriptions. Close and then reopen Winamp. Then add it back in. See if that changes anything.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:57   #7
joebloggscity

tried taht now, still no luck. I'll need to play about to see what is happenign:

this is the RSS with the problem:
http://www.spreaker.com/show/144525/episodes/feed

I've added it to the safe list in my internet security software.

Really annoying this one...
Old 12th April 2012, 12:06   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I'll add the podcast in on my PC and see if it does anything odd to me.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:09   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Added it, and the first thing it attempted to download was "Paradise Preview #24 (Hearts) and it has immediately stuck on 99%. And as I type this it has now replaced that with "failed".

Just before adding this podcast a BBC podcast download as normal without trouble.

So it looks like something odd with that specific podcast.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:16   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I downloaded the podcast again. This time I had the destination folder open. So when it hit 99%, I copied the track elsewhere. Once Winamp said "failed" the track is deleted.

The copied track plays fine. No MP3 tags on it, so can't tell if it is 100% correctly downloaded. He seems to talk to the end of 16mins 12seconds and says goodbye. (Maybe someone else who is reading this can point to a tool to test if an MP3 is "complete" or if anyone knows of a way of checking?)

My theory - somehow the podcast is not correctly saying "I'm Finished" and Winamp mistakenly assumes it is corrupted and deletes the file instead.

And it sounds odd. Is this American's doing Scottish football?
Old 12th April 2012, 12:30   #11
joebloggscity

The source is Scottish football using spreaker.com.... Do you know how to fix it? Is it a problem from Spreaker's side or Winamps?
Old 16th April 2012, 18:04   #12
joebloggscity

Spreaker fixed that issue, this was their reply:
Quote:
Hey man,
it seems it was a "bad" HTTP implementation of Winamp. No problem, we pushed a change that fixes it

Thank you for your report!
Marco
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
99 percent, download, fails, podcast