Old 3rd July 2012, 01:29   #1
olpdog

Use visualizations with other software

I use Winamp for all my computers and I typically use their visualizations when I'm listening to music. Is there any way to use their visualizations with software besides Winamp? It's not that I don't like Winamp, but I use some DJ'ing software to play music at events and I would love to just use the visualizations from Winamp to broadcast on an external monitor I have connected to my laptop. The visualizations sync well with the music being played and I would like to use those visualizations on my external monitor when it's not being used for announcements. I'd definitely purchase the software (I currently use the free version) from Winamp if that would help. Thank you
olpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:03   #2
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Yes, there is a way to do this, but the easiest way is to have a second computer.

One computer uses your dj software of choice to play the music. Your pre-amp information goes to your mixer or amp or whatever you use, but you should send the pre-amp music also to the line-in of the second computer. The second computer will use winamp to run AVS with the line-in music after you have set it up using this tutorial (<--click). This second computer connects to your projector, monitor, or TV to show your visuals.

AVS likes to crash a lot, a crash so fatal that it renders winamp useless until a complete computer restart. This setup I have suggested will avoid the silence or "dead-air" associated with a crash, since the AVS computer isn't actually the one playing the music. The music computer will continue the music even if the AVS computer crashes. If you get sick of the crashes, use milkdrop, which is still a pretty good vis program (although I still like AVS a bit better). Milkdrop crashes a lot less often. It doesn't really crash at all really unless you mess with it a lot.

This is how I've always done it, and it's safe and effective. Just make sure you have a strong enough projector if you plan on using one, as most will look dim if you use a gig-sized screen or surface/wall. When I use school projectors on a gymnasium wall for this at dances, they aren't strong enough to look good, so I have to use my own.

Please post back to let me know how things work out.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 18:32   #3
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I don't know anymore exactly, how often I already had posted these 2 links somewhere in the platforms, but I should mention them, too...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2818147
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2818275
I'm using this feature with Milkdrop 2, in my case Milkdrop 2.21 & Milkdrop 2.25 (I've so many different Winamps on my same Workstation PC). I do it very often, because I've so many public favourites and playlists in all these platforms, where I've my profiles. And it's always very good music (Electronic, Ambient, Deep House...). This feature is also very great for Electronic Live Concerts and DJ Live Shows with very good House Music in the Dance Clubs with very good projectors and very large screens...
@ olpdog: Oh yes, please post back, I'm very anxious...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 05:16   #4
olpdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Yes, there is a way to do this, but the easiest way is to have a second computer.

One computer uses your dj software of choice to play the music. Your pre-amp information goes to your mixer or amp or whatever you use, but you should send the pre-amp music also to the line-in of the second computer. The second computer will use winamp to run AVS with the line-in music after you have set it up using this tutorial (<--click). This second computer connects to your projector, monitor, or TV to show your visuals.

AVS likes to crash a lot, a crash so fatal that it renders winamp useless until a complete computer restart. This setup I have suggested will avoid the silence or "dead-air" associated with a crash, since the AVS computer isn't actually the one playing the music. The music computer will continue the music even if the AVS computer crashes. If you get sick of the crashes, use milkdrop, which is still a pretty good vis program (although I still like AVS a bit better). Milkdrop crashes a lot less often. It doesn't really crash at all really unless you mess with it a lot.

This is how I've always done it, and it's safe and effective. Just make sure you have a strong enough projector if you plan on using one, as most will look dim if you use a gig-sized screen or surface/wall. When I use school projectors on a gymnasium wall for this at dances, they aren't strong enough to look good, so I have to use my own.

Please post back to let me know how things work out.
Thank you for your suggestion Swingdjted, your plan sounds great. I always bring 2 laptops to every event, so that will be a perfect solution for me. I will test it out Monday and let you know how it works. Thanks again!
Old 8th July 2012, 17:05   #5
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have to mention, that PC towers have more input jacks than notebooks. A notebook has mostly only 1x microphone as input, a PC tower has mostly 3 inputs: 1x line-in and 2x microphone (rear panel and front panel). Maybe that's the reason, why my notebook (Windows 7 64-bit) has no "Stereo Mix". But my PC tower (Windows Vista 32-bit) has "Stereomix", also "Line in at rear panel (Blue)" and 2x "Microphone", from the rear panel and from my USB webcam (a microphone at the front panel isn't currently connected). On my PC tower I have "Stereomix" as Standard, because the music from each sound source should go through my soundcard and then via "linein://" through Winamp. But for live-shows with 2 notebooks I would suggest to use the musician- or DJ-software on the first notebook and Winamp on the second notebook, line-out on the first notebook and microphone on the second notebook could be connected (I hope, it will work, although I'm not sure, if a microphone jack can be used also as line-in)...
I wish good luck for You...
It's a very good idea to start 2 player together on my Workstation PC again now, one of the many very good website player and one of my many different Winamps...
Old 8th July 2012, 23:22   #6
Rellik
Major Dude

Stereo mix (as a recording input) is usually a function of the driver/sound chipset, not how many physical inputs there are. In windows 7, sometimes stereo mix will be disabled and hidden and will need to be revealed.

Once enabled, you can set Stereo Mix as the default recording device, then use the linein plugin in Winamp. (the linein plugin uses whatever is set as the default recording device)

Also, you can open another instance of Winamp by pressing ctrl+alt+n, so you could have playback on one, and linein>vis on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stereo mix.png
Views:	8522
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	49785  
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 23:31   #7
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

That was the way, how I finally got "Stereo Mix" on my "Workstation PC" last November, and since that time it's my default recording device. I will try to look on my notebook again...
Thank You, Rellik...
PS, I wish to continue with My Cloud Player of SoundCloud & Winamp together, but I have to go to bed now...
Old 9th July 2012, 17:42   #8
olpdog

Thanks to all for the responses. I've got 2 laptops that I bring to events so I followed the steps suggested by swingdjted and they worked great. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to get the audio output into the laptop running winamp, but when I attempted to hook up my external sound card, I thought of something. Something beautifully simple. Instead of plugging something into the mic input on my laptop, I just told it to listen. My Dell laptop has a "microphone array" option in the sound menu to use if you are speaking with someone over skype or some other similar program. You don't need to connect a mic, it just picks up the sounds through the laptop's own little microphone. Since the music I want to sync up the visualizations with is playing through some very loud speakers, I just made the microphone array the default device for recording on my laptop. When I set up the linein, everything worked perfectly. The audio analyzer in winamp was picking up the music as it played and the visualizations were synced up with the music being played out of my main speakers. It works great, thanks to everyone for the assistance!
Old 15th July 2012, 16:11   #9
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Heh, never thought of that. Saved some wiring. My laptops have inputs that can be switched from mic setting (very sensitive level) to line-in (less sensitive) with the software.

I should also note - AVS crashes far less often on XP than on Vista or 7, and crashes most often with Aero enabled on Vista and 7. If one of your machines is xp and still high-spec enough for a decent AVS framerate, use that one for AVS to reduce the frequency of crashes. If you must use Vista or 7, disable Aero prior to the gig. Post back if you need to know how and I'll find you a tutorial - it's pretty easy to do.

Thanks again for posting back.

Old 15th July 2012, 16:45   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Ted, You have brought me to the idea to search this thread, and I have found it...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=343248
Newer notebooks are sold with Windows 7 64-bit and very soon with Windows 8. For DJs & VJs, who could get only a notebook with Windows 7 and not with Windows Vista or Windows XP, this thread could be very important, if they want to use Milkdrop 2 instead of AVS. But it's very good to know, that Aero should be disabled during the live-shows also for AVS, not only for Milkdrop 2. The discussion stuff should be expanded, and we should discuss about AVS and Milkdrop 2 together...
Okay, I continue with enjoying very good "website music" now, with 2 player together at the same time, 1 website player & 1 desktop player...
Old 15th July 2012, 21:29   #11
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I meant AVS to begin with, but I didn't specify in my post. Sorry about that. Milkdrop is pretty stable on XP, Vista, and 7 (regardless of whether Aero is enabled) without many issues. It's just AVS that I recommend XP or non-Aero Vista or 7.

Old 15th July 2012, 22:30   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Maybe that's the reason, why my notebook (Windows 7 64-bit) has no "Stereo Mix".
I've lost the function in a driver update before so I think the hardware could do it. I think it's just something developers started leaving out.

If it's a Realtek audio chipset like mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzfJWVH6T8
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 22:55   #13
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I've never updated the audio driver on my notebook with Windows 7. I did also never update the audio driver on my Workstation PC with Realtek Audio. On my Workstation PC I've only updated the graphic driver for my NVIDIA GeForce GT 230 grapic card some weeks ago to get "Web GL" in Firefox working, and that had helped. After a rebooting I've made my tests with the updates and I was very satisfied...
I'm very glad, that I've kept my current Windows Vista install on my Workstation PC, which I'm using since 3 years, if I hear, that the function of "Stereo Mix" can get lost by an audio driver update...
Old 17th July 2012, 01:17   #14
Rellik
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I've lost the function in a driver update before so I think the hardware could do it. I think it's just something developers started leaving out.

If it's a Realtek audio chipset like mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzfJWVH6T8
A I mentioned previously, it is often hidden.

Of course, I have a strong suspicion that the MafIAA is putting pressure on sound chip mfgrs to leave out that handy function that could potentially be used to pirate music.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 14:39   #15
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

To get a very bad sound quality from somewhere?...
Honest DJs and VJs want to make their live-shows...
I myself want to enjoy very good website music in Firefox and Google Chrome with the Winamp Visualizations (I think, I'm not the only one here), so it would be very good, if this feature can stay...
There is so many very good website music everywhere, and I cannot post the many links to many very good website player, website mixer and music composer websites here, but You can find all these links also there:
https://plus.google.com/102633235273963851166/posts
And in one of my blogs in MySpace and in some of my notices in Facebook, in my musician-page "Sternenmaschinebine" and in my personal profile "Sabine Klare", but also in the video-descriptions in my own YouTube-Uploads with my own music, everybody can get my own music in a much better sound quality and also with complete tags for free...
Old 18th July 2012, 08:00   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

It might be because Microsoft is trying to be simpler. 99.9999999% of people would never use it.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 12:41   #17
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Some friends in Facebook have a PC Tower with Windows 7 (instead of a notebook). I should ask them, I should try to get them in a chat...
And there are not too less Winamp Visualization Fans like me, who love this feature very much...
Old 27th November 2012, 18:33   #18
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Hello again,
I have to pick up this thread now...
I've just found this other thread today, and I think, reading this thread is very important, if someone wants to make a live-show (or wants to create a music-video):
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=315627
I want to leave also a further tutorial-video for You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qa-HODWbc
I know the potential for dance-clubs, especially since I have pasted further presets & textures into each Winamp on my Workstation PC with Windows Vista, and it's a pity to lose the next big dance club in Germany soon...
Have a nice Christmas Time now...
Greetings again
Old 19th July 2013, 11:06   #19
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

This thread is a little bit older now...
My PC is back from the service shop, they told me, they would have installed from the driver-disk, but I have no "Stereo Mix" anymore. In my Mixlr-App I had "Stereomix" as "Input". The longer story is here...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=366311
But another YouTube-User has a very good suggestion, and I want to try that. Sorry, that it's in German and not in English...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUK_g18AcR4
I want to enjoy again "website music" in Full HD, although Frank wanted to test at first the Synthesizer Studio with real Hardware Synthesizers on my PC. "Frank is playing the Synthesizers live on Mixlr with Milkdrop 2 of Winamp in Full HD"...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:30   #20
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have "Stereomix" back, I can enjoy the "website music" via the URL "linein://" in Full HD again, and I can broadcast again via the Mixlr-App, where I need also "Stereomix" as "Input"...
You have to read the postings in the linked thread of my previous post, we have discussed also there...
In Control Panel > Sound (Hardware and Sound) You have to look, which soundcard do You have, You have to do a web search for this soundcard and driver, You have to download the right installer, after installing You have to reboot. Then follow the steps to enable "Stereomix"...
I have to help my friends now, who also have no "Stereomix"...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Tags
external monitor, shows, software, visualizations