Old 23rd January 2008, 09:33   #1
drivehell

DnbRadio on your iPhone

I've been playing around with a iPod Touch style web interface (same kind used on iPhone) and came up with this:

^^main menu - listen to live broadcast -or- browse the mix archives (podcast)

You can get to it on your phone directly by going to www.dnbradio.com or sample it on your pc's browser at www.dnbradio.com/iphone

The i-Phone style interface has large buttons for easy touch navigation and playback. The streaming features utilize the Quiktime playback functions that already exist on the phone so there are no additional software downloads needed to listen to the live shoutcast streams or the podcast links. Further plans for the interface include song tagging, favorites, and rating right from your device... maybe even buying tunes?

The official story on this was posted at junglepress.org - http://www.junglepress.org/2007/11/2...-for-dnbradio/
drivehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:08   #2
Greg_E
Major Dude

Have you tested AAC+ streams? I'm pretty sure QT will still not play the HTTP type of AAC+ stream, but what about RTP/RTSP type AAC+ streams (from QT streaming server or Darwin streaming server)? If you wouldn't mind checking these things for me, I'll supply a couple of links, the first is easy:

http://supermix.sunyocc.edu:8000/listen.pls

and I'll have to look up an RTP/RTSP stream, I think there are some examples on Orban's web page.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:38   #3
drivehell

I tried it on my own AAC streams and couldn't get it working. It took me quite a long time to even get mp3 working. As far as I know AAC won't work. I surely would have implemented aac if I thought QT would handle it.

If you find any info on this.. please let me know
Old 24th January 2008, 00:24   #4
Greg_E
Major Dude

Since it uses QT, then if you use a Darwin Streaming Server (RTP/RTSP protocol) it should work. Let me see if I can track down a sample for you.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 24th January 2008, 00:32   #5
Greg_E
Major Dude

http://www.orban.com/products/stream...c-pc1010/eval/

Give this one a try, it's from a DSS server:
htpx://66.220.31.130:80/mp4.sdp

thought to get QT to play it, you may have to enter it as:

rtsp://66.220.31.130:80/mp4.sdp

Might need to try without the mp4.sdp

And may even need to make a QT playlist file which ends in the .mov extension. I don't exactly remember how to make those playlists, but I could take one apart again to see how it's done. All the movie previews at Apple are just playlists with a .mov extension (don't ask me why I had to figure it out).

And before anyone bitches, yes I am well aware that what we are now discussing has nothing to do with Shoutcast, please bear with us for a couple more posts. Thanks.

edit

I scrolled down a few more choices and found the stream I wanted:
rtsp://inet.orban.com/mp4.sdp which is the one that should work if entered into QT player.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 24th January 2008, 01:31   #6
drivehell

hmm..not working in safari.. I used this embed code.

code:

<embed src="rtsp://inet.orban.com/mp4.sdp" autoplay="true" type="video/quicktime" target="myself"></embed>

Old 24th January 2008, 14:58   #7
Greg_E
Major Dude

They said you had to enter it directly into the player, so maybe this will not work.

If anyone with a cellphone that has 3GP connectivity wants to try, they have some 3GP protocol streams that would be interesting.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 4th February 2008, 08:46   #8
drivehell

bump
Old 11th February 2008, 03:06   #9
port66

need shoutcast to support rtsp://.3gp bool in the config and a codec for realtime 3gp wrapping/encoding to goto all phones with a click and played in the mediaplayer
port66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 15:12   #10
Greg_E
Major Dude

Yes, that would indeed be nice to have. Would make my life easier to have Shoutcast support RTP/RTSP streaming.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 13th February 2008, 21:51   #11
port66

icecast might have it 1day
port66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 13:46   #12
DJ Matt

So if we want to use this on our own stations what files do we need? It looks like you use a special PHP script to stream raw data to the iPhone as something it likes.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 15:32   #13
Greg_E
Major Dude

In theory if you put up an RTSP server like Darwin or QTSS you could get Quicktime to play it on the iphone/itouch but it is only a guess.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 13th March 2008, 15:34   #14
DJ Matt

Thats a big pain in the ass to get the maybe 3 listeners that are willing to tune in with an iPhone, I get more people tuning in just using Pocket tunes app from the iphone

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
Old 13th March 2008, 19:21   #15
Greg_E
Major Dude

If you used aac+ on that RTSP server, then most of the recent Nokia phones could listen too. Really any of the phones that conform to the 3GPP standards as set up with the W3C should work with that stream (assuming the service provider allows it). But seeing as you are in the USA, and this country is woefully behind the times with technology like this, it really is pointless. Sprint is the only company that has real data plans that really allows this. Some AT&T areas might with certain plans, NOTHING on Verizon allows it unless you buy the full out 3GP data package, and even then it is extremely hit or miss in my area.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 13th March 2008, 19:24   #16
DJ Matt

The recent Nokia phones already have an application that plays mp3 and AAC+ natively from shoutcast servers...

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 27th July 2008, 11:15   #17
drivehell

I've setup a way for a few friends of mine to use iphone.yourdomain.com which pulls up an iphone interface customized for their station. http://iphone.dubstep.fm is an example.

So, if anyone is interested, I've decided to offer this iphone app as a service -- customizable for your station's content (control panel coming soon depending on demand).

Right now the player links will remain hosted on my servers and I'll offer a free vhost for any domain (that you own) you want to use. If anyone wants something like this contact me via pm for details on a free trial (first come first served).
Old 27th July 2008, 14:56   #18
Greg_E
Major Dude

Just an off topic question... Will the iPhones play Quicktime streams? I assume the answer is yes, but I do not have an iPhone/iTouch to use to check it.

And I do have an AAC at 128K for Quicktime stream and an aac+v2 at 32K for cell phones up if anyone wants to try them. Both are served from Darwin, both encoded from Orban's Opticodec, the cell phone stream is LATM wrapped so that it is an mp4 type of stream. Since it is off topic, I won't post the links.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 5th January 2009, 20:54   #19
drivehell

update

so.. I just updated the interface with the new version of iUI. pretty cool stuff.. check it out.. www.dnbradio.com/iphone
Old 5th January 2009, 20:57   #20
DJ Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_E
Just an off topic question... Will the iPhones play Quicktime streams? I assume the answer is yes, but I do not have an iPhone/iTouch to use to check it.

And I do have an AAC at 128K for Quicktime stream and an aac+v2 at 32K for cell phones up if anyone wants to try them. Both are served from Darwin, both encoded from Orban's Opticodec, the cell phone stream is LATM wrapped so that it is an mp4 type of stream. Since it is off topic, I won't post the links.
I believe the answer is no, but I will check.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 6th January 2009, 13:41   #21
Greg_E
Major Dude

Here is a QT stream

rtsp://supermix.sunyocc.edu:7070/AAC128.sdp
and an LATM stream
rtsp://supermix.sunyocc.edu:7070/3GP.sdp

Note the capitol letters for the mount point.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 6th January 2009, 14:40   #22
DJ Matt

I get an error in Safari when entering the address

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 6th January 2009, 23:00   #23
Jkey
Forum King

There is an Aol/shoutcast iphone App:-
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=301765
Just for feedback purposes.

There are 2 things i hate in this world ,one is the iphone the other is Dnb.Imagine my supprise when i found someone had combined them.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 15:08   #24
Greg_E
Major Dude

Safari doesn't understand those address, you would need to load it directly in QT. Sorry I don't have a way to upload a .mov file that you can try, our website is still not updated, and you can't attach .mov or .qtl files to a post. You can cut and paste this code to a text editor and save as a .mov or .qtl

code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?quicktime type="application/x-quicktime-media-link"?>

<embed src="rtsp://stream.supermix.us:554/AAC128.sdp"/>

and
code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?quicktime type="application/x-quicktime-media-link"?>

<embed src="rtsp://stream.supermix.us:554/3GP.sdp"/>

The second one will probably play as mono because QT doesn't understand aac+ (if it works at all on the iphone). Served from Darwin on Win32, same hardware as my Shoutcast server.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 9th January 2009, 20:20   #25
DJ Matt

Unfortunately those links do not work as-is, I will try them using dnbradio's PHP script, which is at the heart of making this whole deal work. It makes the iphone/ipod see a 40 minute mp3 file that fools it into accepting and playing it. What I'd really like to have is the sourcecode for that

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 10th January 2009, 06:27   #26
drivehell

good news... here's a new iphone streaming service right here

http://irecvr.com

I'll be setting up a sister app called "ixmitter" as well for all you stream owners.
Old 10th January 2009, 17:04   #27
DJ Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by drivehell
good news... here's a new iphone streaming service right here

http://irecvr.com

I'll be setting up a sister app called "ixmitter" as well for all you stream owners.
That doesn't really help anything, there are a ton of tuner applications on the iphone. What is useful is a custom web application that your existing users can find on your site. Sending people to some big tuner is a great way to lose listeners to another station.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 10th January 2009, 19:06   #28
drivehell

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Matt
What is useful is a custom web application that your existing users can find on your site.
That's what I was offering in an earlier post... and.. also what the xmitter app will be..
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions