Old 21st October 2007, 21:53   #1
reyvehn

Winamp 5.5 + Gtalk problem

I love the new Winamp 5.5 with the "Bento" skin, but I recently noticed that whenever I set Google Talk to show my 'current music track' as my status, Google Talk crashes and I have to restart it. I've tried reinstalling both Gtalk and Winamp several times, but it just keeps crashing.

I'm assuming this is a problem with Winamp, seeing as how setting my status to my current music track on Gtalk used to work with previous versions of Winamp. However, I could be wrong. Please, if anyone can tell me why this keeps happening, I would greatly appreciate it!
reyvehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 22:04   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
This has been reported before...
winamp 5.5(latest ver)'s Incompatibility with GTalk

And in that thread, forums member ffejeroni indicated this "work-around"...
Quote:
Originally posted by ffejeroni
After a little testing, it looks like GTalk only freezes the system up if you set it to show current track. Otherwise the two programs get along just fine. (FYI)
But then, 2 posts later, ffejeroni indicated that the problem still exists.

So, it would appear as if the people at GTalk need to look into the issue to create a new version of GTalk that is compatible with Winamp 5.5. The Nullsoft Winamp devs shouldn't have to concern themselves with getting Winamp to be compatible with GTalk (or any other 3rd-party authored programs for that matter).

Evidently, there is a conflict now, and I would think it needs to be addressed by GTalk devs, not Winamp devs.

You may want to point out both this thread and the other to them, to let them know what is happening. I don't use GTalk, so I really don't care. It's up to you.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 23:00   #3
cherry1979

winamp55 conflicts with nascar.com post race show
cherry1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 23:06   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

@cherry1979...

Please do not hijack other people's threads and keep it to the one thread...
Conflict winamp 55 with Nascar.com

I also see you cross-posting with the same issue here as well...
latest winamp issues

Please see the forums rules concerning cross-posting.

Regardless, I would assume that the people at nascar.com need to address the issue, same as the devs of GTalk should.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
Old 22nd October 2007, 00:42   #5
reyvehn

Gtalk and Winamp will run just fine at the same time. It only crashes when you set your status to show your current music track. However, since I don't want an older version of Winamp, I'll just have to wait until gtalk updates their software. Thank you, though, I really appreciate it.
reyvehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:33   #6
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Yer welcome
Old 5th December 2007, 07:40   #7
bongoinc

"Show current music track" worked for a while

I had the GTalk-feature, "Show current music track", working for a few weeks then suddenly it stopped working a week ago. GTalk does not freeze or crash after that but I don't get it to work again.

Weird!

If you have a clue about what it might depend upon, please let me know.
bongoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 10:55   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Re: "Show current music track" worked for a while

Quote:
Originally posted by bongoinc
If you have a clue about what it might depend upon, please let me know.
Yes. I do have a very good clue about what it might depend upon and I indicated it several posts up, but I'll simply quote myself here...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
So, it would appear as if the people at GTalk need to look into the issue to create a new version of GTalk that is compatible with Winamp 5.5. The Nullsoft Winamp devs shouldn't have to concern themselves with getting Winamp to be compatible with GTalk (or any other 3rd-party authored programs for that matter).

Evidently, there is a conflict now, and I would think it needs to be addressed by GTalk devs, not Winamp devs.
Old 21st April 2008, 13:45   #9
borisattva

Send a message via AIM to borisattva
Re: Re: "Show current music track" worked for a while

Quote:
Yes. I do have a very good clue about what it might depend upon and I indicated it several posts up, but I'll simply quote myself here...
i came across this after googling the problem, and wanted to comment on the 'shifting of responsibility to gtalk developers':

taking into consideration that previous versions of winamp work with gtalk just fine, in addition to other media players like wmp with no issues or 'patches', its reasonable to conclude that the break occurred on winamp end and as such would not be responsibility of gtalk developers.

adding to the inconsistency is the work-around, in which this issue only exists if the 5.5 is installed fresh;
if you for example had 5.35 installed prior- and then upgraded to 5.5, the issue does not exist.

2円

P.S. looks like i found a fix for fresh winamp installs on google forums:
create a blank file winamp.m3u and drop it in your Winamp directory, restart both gtalk and winamp and everything works. confirmed on 3 systems so far.
borisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 14:44   #10
cosmos31

Re: Winamp 5.5 + Gtalk problem

Quote:
Originally posted by reyvehn
I love the new Winamp 5.5 with the "Bento" skin, but I recently noticed that whenever I set Google Talk to show my 'current music track' as my status, Google Talk crashes and I have to restart it. I've tried reinstalling both Gtalk and Winamp several times, but it just keeps crashing.

I'm assuming this is a problem with Winamp, seeing as how setting my status to my current music track on Gtalk used to work with previous versions of Winamp. However, I could be wrong. Please, if anyone can tell me why this keeps happening, I would greatly appreciate it!
I believe I have found the issue for this problem, certainly in my case, as it corrected the issue. You will need to un-install the Microsoft update MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181). I was having the same issues as you describe and once I removed this update everything went back to working without issue.
cosmos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 19:44   #11
Ropey

Re: Re: Re: "Show current music track" worked for a while

Quote:
P.S. looks like i found a fix for fresh winamp installs on google forums:
create a blank file winamp.m3u and drop it in your Winamp directory, restart both gtalk and winamp and everything works. confirmed on 3 systems so far.
This works for me as well. In Vista Premium 64. Before the installation of the empty file, there is no showing of the currently playing music, just a crash.

After installing the empty file, Google Talk does not crash and shows the current music being played.

The issue is on the Winamp end. More proof that listening to staff blame the other side is never the way to go and that users will find the problems and often the fixes while those staff will move to the blame game.
Ropey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 20:09   #12
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
No it isn't. Plenty of programs get Winamp track information just fine. Nullsoft/AOL does not have access to the GTalk code to do it the correct way.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 21:03   #13
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Forget it Sawg.
You're beating a dead horse.

Ropey tends to be very argumentative and I also think he still feels that we volunteers are actually "paid staff" who might have ulterior motives for our support of Winamp that band together even though we've tried to explain otherwise...

I mean, take a look at his posts.

And then there's this from above...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ropey
More proof that listening to staff blame the other side is never the way to go
Right, Ropey?
No offense intended though!!
In your own words, "I opined with a personal view"

ORB Remote Broadcast

Old 31st July 2008, 21:48   #14
Ropey

Quote:
Forget it Sawg.
You're beating a dead horse.

Ropey tends to be very argumentative and I also think he still feels that we volunteers are actually "paid staff" who might have ulterior motives for our support of Winamp that band together even though we've tried to explain otherwise...

I mean, take a look at his posts.

And then there's this from above... Right, Ropey?
No offense intended though!!
In your own words, "I opined with a personal view"
When the pattern is to blame externally, then there are issues that clearly show a bias. You clearly show that you are not only willing to support winamp at all costs and in this thread seek to blame externally what needs to be internally placed. Clearly the installation of the playlist in Winamp shows the error is a winamp install fix. Set such a file in the winamp install and the issue is resolved. Thus the issue is on the Winamp side, yet you even go as far as to quote yourself placing the issue externally.

And I'm argumentative? No, I am stating the obvious and you seek to support an inelegant method which will not reach a solution. Clearly users have more solutions than you do and they do NOT blame external issues.

No offense taken. Of course not
Old 31st July 2008, 21:51   #15
Ropey

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
No it isn't. Plenty of programs get Winamp track information just fine. Nullsoft/AOL does not have access to the GTalk code to do it the correct way.
This is the proof that the issue is on the Winamp side. No fix needs to be done on the GT side, just the Winamp side. It's called compatibility. You do not expect GT to install a file in the Winamp directory do you?

Old 31st July 2008, 21:57   #16
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
You clearly show that you are not only willing to support winamp at all costs and in this thread seek to blame externally what needs to be internally placed.
Wait!
You're right! I was wrong!
What was I thinking?
Winamp sucks!!
Too many problems that need to be internally addressed!
I absolutely hate it!
You've convinced me!
I'm switching to another player immediately.

There! Can we be cyber-buddies now, Ropey?
Old 31st July 2008, 22:03   #17
Ropey

Quote:
Wait!
You're right!
Winamp sucks!!
I absolutely hate it!
You've convinced me!

Winamp does not suck in my opinion. A fix is a fix and is done so that users can have a better experience with the software. Thus it would behoove you to look at the fix aspect rather than attempt to place the blame of who should fix the issue externally. Do you not see that this was the issue with regards to advertisements on the paid software and this issue. A fix, no more was necessary and in both events you did nothing to help the issue.

My advice? Rather than attempt to place blame and minimize the user's issue it would behoove you to actually work towards amelioration of the issue or remove yourself from the thread so others who are more able to resolve issues can do so with less complications.

I am blunt, but not angry with you or Winamp. Personally I like Winamp better than all other music playing software out there. Still, fixes are necessary in all software and the issue needs to be user satisfaction.
Old 31st July 2008, 22:04   #18
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Wait!
You're right! I was wrong!
What was I thinking?
Winamp sucks!!
I absolutely hate it!
You've convinced me!

Just a matter of time it was, since Nunz finally showed his real face. Oh my dear, you couldn't resist the dark side anymore.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 22:06   #19
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Why should Winamp include another file it doesn't need to use to make the GTalk developers happy? Programs come file files they use, not what Google needs.

Old 31st July 2008, 22:09   #20
Ropey

Quote:
Why should Winamp include another file it doesn't need to use to make the GTalk developers happy? Programs come file files they use, not what Google needs.
I disagree. The final analysis is creating software that users appreciate enough to purchase it. How many users who use Google Talk and Winamp and who set to display the songlist find a crash and who are not able to trouble shoot the issue? Who do not find the Winamp forum and who move to using the Windows Media Player?

Of course the fix is a simple one and if Winamp installs the playlist on install, then the above will not happen to one person.

You are looking at the issues very one sided and in doing so forget that the issue is always user contentment with the software.

Old 31st July 2008, 22:13   #21
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
Just a matter of time it was, since Nunz finally showed his real face. Oh my dear, you couldn't resist the dark side anymore.
Yeah Koopa! I just uninstalled Winamp.

I'm using ...

... ehhh

aaarrggh...

RealPlayer now! It's AWESOME (not)!

But Ropey,

Regardless of whether we disagree or not, my offer still stands...

Can we let bygones be bygones and be cyber-buddies now?

This thread is getting to be fun and I rarely allow myself to have fun in these forums
Old 31st July 2008, 22:16   #22
Ropey

Quote:
But Ropey,

Regardless of whether we disagree or no, my offer still stands..

Can we let bygones be bygones and be cyber-buddies now?
LOL

As I said, I hold no personal dislike of you so there is no bygones. My disagreements do not extend to personality traits. Your friendly sarcasm is not taken as anything more than humor. Humor is a good thing as it often diffuses events.

Be well
Old 31st July 2008, 23:08   #23
DrO

THE SODDING FIX or is that post invisible since that's the way to do it as best allows with the winamp api's and removes any hard-coded path checks, etc that seems to be the case with GTalk. if they don't want to use the winamp api's properly then it's no wonder the thing screws up when winamp is altered to play better with mutli-user based systems. *shrugs*

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 23:08   #24
Sawg
Forum King

Quote:
How many users who use Google Talk...
five, ten tops....

Old 31st July 2008, 23:30   #25
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
five, ten tops....
True enough
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
THE SODDING FIX
LOL!
I knew it was British slang but I'd forgotten and actually had to look it up.
Old 31st July 2008, 23:36   #26
Ropey

Quote:
five, ten tops....

I use it with at least 20 myself.
Old 1st August 2008, 00:20   #27
Ropey

Quote:
I knew it was British slang
Indeed. This member has an amazing command of English vernacular. Considering the English Verbal Class Distinction", we know where DrO hails.

Quote:
"My Fair Lady"

Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
Norwegians learn Norwegian, the Greeks are taught their Greek
In France every Frenchman knows his language from 'A' to 'Zed' -
The French don't care what they do, actually, as long as they pronounce it properly.
Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
The Hebrews learn it backwards which is absolutely frightening.
Use proper English, you're regarded as a freak.
Oh, why can't the English - Why can't the English learn to speak?

Old 12th January 2012, 14:25   #28
senjacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by berras View Post
I found this on Gtalk Groups and it worked for me (WinXP + SP2):
"Try to create an empty file called winamp.m3u in your winamp install dir... " (thanks, Bari).
This works Great!!!
senjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support