Old 2nd July 2015, 01:30   #1
tried42long

Config files for SHOUTcast on Ubuntu server

I'm have a problem on what are these config files I need when running SHOUTcast on an Ubuntu server. I extracted the files on /home/user.

I try to run SHOUTcast with "./sc_serv". It runs but I get an error about config files not being found.

I have these files btw:

There are ".conf" fileson the "examples" folder, but I'm not sure which one to use.
tried42long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 01:37   #2
DrO

firstly, that's an old version of the DNAS and you should be trying to setup the current version (specifically that's the last AOL provided version and is not recommended to be used). you can always get the current supported version from http://www.shoutcast.com/BroadcastNow (and not to randomly download from anywhere that is not shoutcast.com).

secondly, you need to look at the readme / setup guide provided or if you don't want to do any of that, run the setup option _once_ you've made sure you're trying to setup a current build of the DNAS (as that version has bugs with it's setup process) and follow what it asks you to enter to create a basic config file.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 01:50   #3
tried42long

Thanks for the answers. The file was actually given to me and was asked to install it.
Old 2nd July 2015, 02:14   #4
DrO

whoever gave you that file should not be doing so and you should be using something that is current and supported when setting up a new DNAS instance.
Old 3rd July 2015, 08:11   #5
tried42long

I managed to setup and access the stream via my browser. But when I click on listen, my browser immediately downloads a "listen.pls" file. Any ideas about this?
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:15   #6
DrO

that is what it is meant to do. the stream url is inside of the pls file (a text) file. there's the 'source connection' details page on the server admin page which provides the direct stream urls as well as other playlist links (as the pls is one off) for the different ways to access the stream.
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:47   #7
neralex
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tried42long View Post
I managed to setup and access the stream via my browser. But when I click on listen, my browser immediately downloads a "listen.pls" file. Any ideas about this?
... the other way is to adjust the browser settings how it should handle a file request for this file-type. For example in Firefox or Chrome you can choose different ways: direct download, open with a selected tool like winamp etc or that the browser should ask everytime how to handle the request. The browser doesn't know which tools you have installed, so you have adjust it. Its simply client-based on the user's end.
neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support