Old 6th September 2012, 18:15   #1
Norwood

Reaching The End Of My Rope. Re: FLAC Tagging

I'm about ready to convert all my FLAC files to MP3, unfortunately.

No matter what I do, it's a crap shoot as to whether the files will be properly tagged within Winamp. I've used every possible program I can google to find a program (Mp3Tag v2.52, Entagged (which seems to do nothing at all) that will tag them but I still face the same problems:
  1. Album names are wrong. For example if a particular album is 2 or 3 discs, I remove the "Disc 2" or "CD 2" from the Album title field and ensure that it's the same album title for all tracks. I rename the files using Nodesoft's Mp3Rename and the file names are formatted correctly. However, once they are in Winamp, the tags are ignored and the Album Title is unchanged.
  2. Random files within an album are simply missing. Some albums skip over entire tracks.

I even downloaded this flac plug-in which seems to have installed and then gone away.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 20:07   #2
DrO

you should never be needing to use that plug-in, it pre-dates what was the in_flac shipped in the FLAC distribution before the native one (which it is based on was added to improve compatibility).

most likely your issues are stemming a) from having an unsupported in_flac.dll being used (re-run the 5.63 installer to undo the mess that has caused) and b) it could how you're naming the fields in those editors which does not match to the expected values which Winamp reads.

the best option would be to provide a small sample with the tag as you have set it and to show what it's meant to be set at so others can compare / determine what the issue might be.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 12:34   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Norwood,

If you are looking for a tool that will create perfect tags for you, it does not exist yet (probably never will). Even where standards exist, they are not implemented the same way in every app. Batch taggers can help, but you will still need to check each file and fix errors manually. The tag editor in WA (select a file and press Alt + 3) is perfect for doing this.

Follow DrO's advice and remove all 3rd party plug-ins for tagging.

If you have made changes outside of WA that don't show up in WA, then you need to make WA reread the metadata in the files. One way to do this is to select the file(s) in the media library, right click, and select the "Read metadata on selected items" context menu command.

You should also look in the General Preferences - Media Library - Local Media - Watch Folders options and turn off all options (could be in more than 1 place) that allow WA to try and guess what a file's tags should be from the file's name.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 16:54   #4
Norwood

That plugin was just recently installed before I posted this. I hadn't been using it long, just tried it once and found it didn't work. I already removed it.

I guess I'll do it manually, thanks folks!
Old 9th September 2012, 10:53   #5
ChrisLenga

Though it appears you've resolved the situation, I figured I'd chime in a bit. Managing a library of around a terabyte (fifty thousand tracks) I find that Mp3 works best for me and has resulted in converting my entire library from FLAC to Mp3. In fact my entire library is now Mp3 I believe as I came across some wma (yuck) in my library last week.

Tagging software as stated above doesn't really exist in a perfect form. I often wish it did myself with the amount of music I carry. Please update us if you find a really decent tagging program in your travels.
ChrisLenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 13:59   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i have both FLAC and mp3, and have np at all tagging either the way i want. FLAC however is easier and more flexible.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 09:31   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLenga View Post
Though it appears you've resolved the situation, I figured I'd chime in a bit. Managing a library of around a terabyte (fifty thousand tracks) I find that Mp3 works best for me and has resulted in converting my entire library from FLAC to Mp3. In fact my entire library is now Mp3 I believe as I came across some wma (yuck) in my library last week.
Hi,

I started a thread a few months ago to discuss which file formats work best with Winamp (lossy and/or loss-less). Would very much like to hear more on why you made the choice you did. The thread is linked below, if you care to add your views. It is very long. Posts 45 through 72 get into some details related mostly to tagging issues (among other things).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=344561

Old 18th September 2012, 14:25   #8
lostinsound

I figured I wouldn't start a whole new thread for this, but I've also had a strange issue with flac tagging. It doesn't happen too often which is why I haven't brought it up earlier.

I've had it happen where I try to tag an album of flac files, the auto-tagger gives different results than if I run auto-tagger on the mp3s converted from those same flacs.

An example of what happens: I ripped The Beatles album 'Let It Be' to flacs using EAC. When I run the auto-tagger on these files in Winamp it tags them as the album 'Let It Be Naked', which isn't correct. However, if I take these same flac files and convert them to mp3s using Winamp, and then run the auto-tagger on the mp3s, it tags them with the correct album 'Let It Be'.

This is just an example. I've had it happen with other albums too, but like I said it's not very often. I guess it's more of a curiosity as to why this would happen. Is it something to do with the mp3s have ID3 tags and the flacs don't? But then I'm not sure why it would only happen a few times and not on all of them.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 16:01   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

b/c the auto tagger isn't very good. u can influence it easily just by what the tags are. a flac and mp3 will have different audio signatures as well, and it is very inexact with those as well.

--
Old 18th September 2012, 16:04   #10
DrO

if the tags are reporting the same information then there should be no difference on what the auto-tagger gets as it's primarily based on the tags from what i remember. so a flac and an mp3 with the _same_ tag information should give the same results. if not then example files showing the issue would help more than just complaining (and yes i'm in a grumpy mood today).

-daz
Old 18th September 2012, 16:10   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

i know, sorry to add to it! but all i can tell you is my exp is different. i have had auto tagger give different results when * nothing * had changed.

and autotagger does do more than just tag/filename examination, b/c i have had it get reasonably close on untagged, un-named files.

--
Old 18th September 2012, 16:15   #12
DrO

dunno then, i really don't like the Gracenote stuff at the best of times but that's just dumb if it's doing things differently with the same input *grumbles*

-daz
Old 18th September 2012, 22:42   #13
lostinsound

I did another test and found that if I use mp3Tag to completely clear all the tags from the flac version of Let It Be, and then run auto-tag on it, it gives me the correct album name unlike before, but it's still a different Gracenote entry than what I get for the mp3s.

Basically, if I delete all the tags from both the mp3s and flacs, and then run auto-tag on each one I get different Gracenote entries for each album. I tried it on a few other random albums in my collection and it didn't happen for any of them.

Like I said this doesn't happen very often at all and I mostly brought it up as a curiosity, so I'm not trying to cause any undue anxiety. It just seemed strange and I was just wondering if anyone else had run into it.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 13:01   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

I have also had the WA auto tagger (supported via Gracenote) be wrong or inconsistent too many times to be really useful. I recommend MP3Tag and TagScanner for less errors when auto-tagging. Since none of these apps are perfect, you need to check the results no matter what app you use.

Old 2nd October 2012, 14:29   #15
Norwood

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I think I'm working towards finding a way to do this and will keep you posted.

--
Thanks and take care,
Norwood
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:58   #16
LeionKeY

Send a message via Skype™ to LeionKeY
anyway, why are you converting those precious FLAC's into MP3?? Is it a lack of GB or what?
LeionKeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 19:30   #17
Norwood

Firstly, my thread isn't asking how to convert from FLAC to MP3. It's about FLAC tags.

Secondly, there are plenty of reasons one would need to convert FLAC to MP3.

--
Thanks & take care
Norwood
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
flac, tag editing, tags