• Show
Clear All
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

Shoutcast DSP Plug-in v2.3.5 for Winamp 5.6 & v2.4.0 for Winamp 5.9

The updated version of the SHOUTcast DSP plug-in has now been released:

Download

- Shoutcast DSP v2.4.0 (25th July 2022) for Winamp 5.9

Note: This updated version of the plug-in will only work on Winamp 5.9 and newer under Windows 7 SP1 and higher.

- Shoutcast DSP v2.3.5 (26th September 2014) for Winamp 5.6-5.8

Note: This version of the plug-in will only work on Winamp 5.6-5.8 and requires Windows XP SP3 and higher to work (the plug-in has only been actively tested on Windows XP / Windows 7 / Windows 8.x).

Summary

This is a recommended update for anyone using the DSP plug-in as it resolves a number of stability issues with the prior 2.x and 1.9x versions and also adds support for SHOUTcast 2 along with a number of other improvements to the experience of using the plug-in with a number of bug fixes as well.

Changes

Changes from 2.3.5
    • Removed dependency for msvcr90.dll
    • Code refactoring
    • Updated mp3 encoder to Lame 3.100.1
    • Memory leak fixes
    • Installer/Uninstaller updates

Changes from 2.3.4
    • Changed to use Winamp's networking library (jnetlib) instead of the older forked version being used (this will be helpful in the future)
    • Changed to prompt if Winamp is set to use 24-bit playback mode (which we do not support in this plug-in)
    • Fixed some setups not being able too connect to a 2.x DNAS in 2.x mode due to the recent 'automatic mode' support and slow DNAS handshaking
    • Fixed the next song title not being recognised by the DNAS (DNAS expects the XML with a specific case of the element names e.g. soon and not SOON)
    • Fixed the automatic reconnect time being reset to 1 second between sessions
    • Reduced the memory usage of connections to only allocate the memory needed (this typically only saves a few KB but it's still a saving!)
    • Miscellaneous code tidyups, documentation updates, branding changes and other small related changes

Changes from 2.3.3
    • The first Radionomy provided SHOUTcast Source DSP release after the sale of SHOUTcast (and Winamp) in January 2014
    • This is primarily a maintenance release to resolve issues and broadcaster requests with the 2.3.x Source DSP since the last build provided under AOL ownership
    • Added 'automatic mode' for selecting the SHOUTcast protocol to use which should ease setup issues (there is still the ability to explicitly set the protocol mode like before)
    • Changed minimum required version of Winamp to v5.6+ due to building changes (below) and to simplify version compatibility and testing
    • Changed building of the plug-in to better match with the Winamp style for dependent dlls (this saves ~132KB)
    • Changed title update handling in respect to issues related to CVE-2014-4166 (which we were not informed about before it was disclosed!)
    • Changed to allow the plug-in to load if lame_enc.dll cannot be found (related to the change below) - previously it would not load at all
    • Updated genres to the current supported list of genres (as detailed in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=303241)
    • Removed lame_enc.dll from the installer - if not present in your Winamp install you will need to manually obtain a copy and place in the appropriate folder for your Winamp install
    • Miscellaneous code tidyups, optimisations, adjustments for futrue Winamp releases, branding resource changes and other related changes

Reporting Issues

If you do come across an issue with the plug-in, then please do post in this thread with as much information as possible about what you're doing at the time, the system you are using and anything else which will make it easier to understand what is or isn't going on with your install.

Important Notes

1) From v2.3.4 and newer, the Source DSP is configured to run in 'automatic mode' by default which will make it attempt to pick the correct SHOUTcast protocol mode to use. This can be explicitly overridden if it does not work as expected (and if it doesn't, please report such issues!) via the option on the Output Page -> Connection Tab.

2) There are still a few issues regarding the soundcard control features on Vista / Windows 7 due to changes made in these OSes in the way it handles sound and how it can be obtained. This is being investigated though there is no eta on when a resolution will be found other than it is intended for there to be some attempt at a fix in v2.4.0 (or some higher version - keep an eye out on the changelog details)

3) This version includes artwork support but requires a v2.2.x or newer version of the v2.x SHOUTcast DNAS in order to be able to use it.

Issues

Soundcard Mixer Control - On Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 there are issues with the use of the features with the selected device to act as the 'microphone' where it basically will not work in an expected manner which also affects the 'Push To Talk' (PTT) feature. This is being investigated though is not clear if there will be a solution for this.

Thanks

Big thanks goes to kind people who've helped out from trying new test builds to providing access to systems experiencing weird issues as well as those who reported issues with the DSP whilst trying to resolve the issues with connection stability and other things from the previous v2.x releases.

Discussion about the previous version of the server including changelogs can be found in the following threads

WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

*new version bump*

Comment

• MrSinatra
      Forum King
      • Dec 2004

interesting changes here... I guess since there will no longer be a pro ver, it makes sense to go exclusively with winamps mp3 enc, its certainly more straight forward / easy to understand. I know we had talked about this before, trying to get the install to figure out which enc was newer, etc; but this is the better way, since most people prob didn't even realize the winamp one wasn't used, or that one was bundled w/the dsp.

one suggestion I would make would be for the install routine for the dsp to notify the user if either the winamp install, or the mp3 enc, is other than the latest released ver. it would be a good way to nudge stream admins and b/c of the fixes always going in, it would reduce the number of false bug reports based on old vers as opposed to real current bugs.
      PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
      --
      BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
      Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
      Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

Winamp won't be able to ship lame_enc.dll either so the removal from this is just the start of aligning things based on licensing requirements. so the end result is you [the user] will have to install / update lame_enc.dll as needed (based on it either not being present to start with or from not being the version wanted).

and as the previous Winamp and Source DSP releases had been including the same version for a while, it wasn't much of an issue since we clearly state we only support the current version and if trying to mix and match things, if issues happen then that cannot be helped.

trying to maintain version checks between 3 different things is messy and will not be done. the current behaviour of the plug-in (as of this build) will just ensure it's running on a Winamp version it is designed to run under, and will rely on the lame_enc.dll found and if one is not, it will give a simple message to download it (and that can be the version of your choice as we cannot host the dll and it's not like it's hard to find the recommended and stable lame_enc.dll to use).

Comment

• MrSinatra
          Forum King
          • Dec 2004

ah, I see. will we be able to just use the lame_enc.dll from 5.666 for a good while? meaning, keep that around for upgrades or new installs? will it work, or still be pro restricted?

maybe I don't understand how ver checks work, but couldn't the DSP install routine just check the local copies vers' vs a txt file on a server somewhere saying what the newest vers are?

it would be a nice feature, so that the user could see if their winamp, dsp, or lame_enc was out of date. or, if that's too much hassle, how about a link in the routine to those items and some text saying something like "use the link to make sure you are running the latest ver" or something like that?

(I understand that for lame_enc this might not be at all possible)

I'm just thinking along the lines of the already existing winamp check for updates tho, and reducing false bug claims.

just seeing your edits now
          --

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

if lame_enc.dll is already present (from whatever source be it manually done or from a prior Source DSP or Winamp install), then there is nothing else to do and what is present will be used. for the Winamp upgrade aspect, it will not remove it as there is no way to know for certain if it was manually installed or from a prior Winamp install.

you're really over thinking things and doing things on the server side for a small plug-in is just overkill and it's not like LAME gets updated much anyway nowadays.

all that is going to happen is if users want to do MP3 encoding, they will need to install lame_enc.dll themselves and if it's already present in the existing Winamp install then there's nothing else to do.

and if people have issues or intentionally want to use an old version, there is little that can be done about and if there are bugs, the response is always going to be to ensure they are using the current Winamp and Source DSP releases and if they don't want to use them (as a number have rudely stated at times via help support) then there is nothing that can be done about and it that's that. our responsibility is to provide working (subject to known issues) versions of the software where it's reasonable possible to do so and if users don't want to update / use them then we cannot force them to update things (however tempting it would be to have enforced updates and all that to keep the user base on the same versions of things).

Comment

• MrSinatra
              Forum King
              • Dec 2004

right on, I agree with everything you're saying, I was just thinking more along the lines of educating the ignorant, but np with what you have said.

I'd be tempted to do it though, and maybe even make it so old vers wouldn't install, but I know that would raise hell, (and only apply to vers made after the check was included). maybe something to think about for the next winamp client tho, since there will be a clean, obvious break between aol/radionomy vers?
              --

Comment

• DrO
                • Sep 2003

there is already an air of dis-trust due to the crap that was in the Winamp installer over the years and some people still think that even the 5.66x installers have that in it (which is absolutely not the case), and you're saying we should start force removing / updating plug-ins? speechless.

Comment

• MrSinatra
                  Forum King
                  • Dec 2004

well, not quite... I would not be for "forcibly" removing or updating plugins.

but I am for something somewhat similar: I am suggesting that the installers themselves, whether they be for the main client or a plugin, could check to see if they are the "current ver" or not, and if they aren't, they could refuse to install themselves, and instead offer the user a link to DL the newest ver from. that's really all I'm suggesting.

but yes, I know it would infuriate people, and so I can understand not wanting to do it, but I just feel like after the initial outrage, they'd get over it, and it would eventually have benefits, as the older vers prior to this approach would die off as the OS's die off.
                  --

Comment

• DrO
                    • Sep 2003

if someone doesn't want to update, they're not going to update so even if things were put in the installers or the client or whatever, it's not going to help with the scenario you're trying to cover.

overall, we have to respect what people do or do not want to install and if that means they're on 10+year old versions then so be it. as much as it complicates things, old versions are an issue where not much can be done about as someone using such an old version is pretty much unlikely to ever attempt to run anything new and so we're still in the same position.

at the end of the day, we can only provide what is known to work with the current version and if people use it, so be it, and if someone is on an old version, then that's their choice (not helped by some of the actions which were made to Winamp [especially the installer which was a sad thing that was done to help fund development at the cost of users in the last few years] ) and is something that has to be respected (and fundamentally is little that can be done about it anyway).

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

that's totally valid. I was just explaining my rationale, and actually, my initial suggestion was just to make users aware that a newer ver exists, if one does, as opposed to actually not installing at all. that's the main hole i see, the casual users ignorance, and such a system would educate them. i have np with your decisions/rationale tho, i just wanted to explain myself. thx for listening.
                      --

Comment

• BraSma
                        • Aug 2007

As for the problem with windows 7/Vista/8 an the Push Button-problem:

Set winamp in compability mode and change it to run in XP (S3)

Then choose Line in

The features as Open Mixer will not work, but simply configure is at usual through windows.

A tip for others who were equally frustrated by this problem

Comment

• DrO
                          • Sep 2003

that is not an advised solution as you will cause Winamp problems by running it in compatibility mode on those versions of Windows..

Comment

• DrO
                            • Sep 2003

*new version bump*

Comment

• the SASS Man
                              • Jun 2003

Speaking of old versions....

I still keep a copy of Winamp 2.71 on my hard drive....I often use it when making .MP3 CDs (which I still use). By setting the Autorun.bat file to load and run the version of Winamp installed on the disc, I can ensure that my .MP3s will play on any comp I happen to find myself on (such as a work or library computer). And...my standalone MP3 CD players happily ignore the extraneous .exe and .dll files as it makes a list of .MP3 files.

It makes for a really easy multifunction music collection. A collection, by the way, that would NOT be possible using any recent version of Winamp.
                              --=> the SASS Man <=--
                              --> King of the Rock <--

Comment

Working...
                              X