Old 12th May 2008, 12:10   #81
gameschild

Will have a look on the train home from work (4.5/5hrs commute a day is perfect for bug finding :-))
gameschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 13:46   #82
RejZoR

Only if you have laptop Version 0.60 seems to work pretty well with all the music that i have and sounds excellent.
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 19:23   #83
gameschild

My Thinkpad does me well...

Found the bug on the train and fixed accordingly. Used samples from %windir%\media and they now play correctly - did wonder why those didn't work properly

Will post an update after an hour or so of testing.

As mentioned please do feedback any issues or bugs; these kinds of projects depend on the users - I don't have every form of media sitting on my server

Download v0.6.1

Last edited by gameschild; 12th May 2008 at 19:55.
Old 12th May 2008, 19:41   #84
RejZoR

I'll check it out with problematic samples and report whether they work or not.
Old 13th May 2008, 19:07   #85
Tinuva

I was testing 0.6.0 yesterday and had this strange skip on some of the mp3s I had, however that went away with 0.6.1 so that was great without needing to even ask.

I apologize for bringing this up again. For some reason this plugin still states that my card does not have EAX-RAM though I did grab this from my unreal tournament 3 log.

code:
Init: ALAudio device requested :
Init: ALAudio device opened : Auzen X-Fi Audio [8C00]
Init: AL_VENDOR : Creative Labs Inc.
Init: AL_RENDERER : Auzen X-Fi Audio [8C00]
Init: AL_VERSION : OpenAL version 1.1
Init: AL_EXTENSIONS : EAX
EAX1.0
EAX2.0
EAX3.0
EAX4.0
EAX5.0

Init: Device supports: EAX4.0
Init: Device supports: EAX-RAM
Init: Device supports: ALC_EXT_EFX
Init: Found EFX extension with 4 effect slots and 4 potential sends
Init: ...'reverb' supported
Init: ...'equalizer' supported
Init: ...'low pass filter' supported
Init: ALAudioDevice initialized.

Tinuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 19:32   #86
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinuva
I apologize for bringing this up again. For some reason this plugin still states that my card does not have EAX-RAM though I did grab this from my unreal tournament 3 log.
Hmm interesting, I don't have EAX-RAM so it's quite hard to figure out what's going on here (especially as I'm using the SDK samples to detect it just like they do).

I'll make a note of it and see if there's something odd in the way I'm trying to read it. There seem to be two ways to detect OpenAL Extensions and the SDK uses the longer fashion so I'll try the normal way and see what happens.
Old 13th May 2008, 20:09   #87
RejZoR

I don't think it's worth wasting code and time on something you're not even going to use. I mean X-RAM is useless for purpose we're trying to achieve here. So if you ask me it would be easier to just ditch this feature (X-RAM) so ppl won't even bother with it.
Old 13th May 2008, 20:14   #88
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by RejZoR
I don't think it's worth wasting code and time on something you're not even going to use. I mean X-RAM is useless for purpose we're trying to achieve here. So if you ask me it would be easier to just ditch this feature (X-RAM) so ppl won't even bother with it.
It was never going to be implemented as it isn't really required for music. If anything that line will be removed to avoid confusion.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:07   #89
Tinuva

I love details, even if it is not needed detail makes a difference.

It is the same thing that drives to me to have better equipment. For example a better sound card + received and speakers (3 way speakers instead of 1 way speakers of the logitech z5500's).

I knew someone was going to moan and say its not necessary but I am sure as a coder it would be interesting to know why.

I am pretty sure Creative said the same thing when they wanted to remove features which didn't work out too easy in their Vista drivers, and look where that got them today. They have a worse name than what they truly deserve being called scammers/cheaters instead of just poor support.

Anyway less offtopic.

The plugin seem to be at a real good stable state for now, I still haven't found another problem since 0.6.1, though I was wondering what you had in mind doing with the plugin once you have it at a stable state.

I know some people asked about the EFX that openal support however I am not sure if thats the best first thing to implement once the plugin is stable. Me personally, I'd like to see this plugin at the same level as the directsound plugin, that is the fading at the start/end of songs as well as a continuous stream output and the removing of silence parts. out_dsound came a long way and I think they implemented a lot more than one can see though maybe not all necessary.

I am not imposing this maybe we should hear other people's thoughts on this as well.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:21   #90
gameschild

The direction of the plugin will be directed by the users. I've had a play with stereo expansion (so you can put it on 4 speakers rather than 2) and EFX but I dont really see the need for either of those (I prefer a clean sound).

So yeh if you guys want things such as cross fading, fading in and out and silence removal and so then please list it here on on My Forum.

Depending on what you come up with I'll probably start to open up the source code for some external help and patches and start working on some kind of roadmap.
Old 14th May 2008, 22:05   #91
RejZoR

People were saying there is no need for OpenAL output plugin.
You were the only one brave enough to just code the thing without even questioning that.
And it sounds far better than DirectSound under Vista using X-Fi, thats for sure. It's more and more stable with each release and if you'll be able to impliment few cool effects, thats fine too. In that case i'd vote for Dolby Prologic and Dolby Virtual Surround like effects. But certanly not top priority as i wanted OpenAL so it bypasses Windows mixer and outputs sound as it is without distorting it.
Old 17th May 2008, 12:17   #92
NUA

When I copy out_openal.dll to the Winamp plugins directory, Winamp begins crashing at startup. I delete the DLL, Winamp starts working again.

Here's the Windows error report:
Quote:
Description:
Stopped working
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: winamp.exe
Problem Signature 02: 5.5.3.1938
Problem Signature 03: 47f283f8
Problem Signature 04: out_openal
Problem Signature 05: 0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4828963d
Problem Signature 07: 80
Problem Signature 08: d1
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1055
My system configuration is Vista Ultimate SP1 x64, Auzen X-Fi Prelude with latest driver, Winamp 5.531. I've tried a clean uninstall/reinstall of Winamp as described in the forum FAQ, with OpenAL being the only extra plugin installed. I've tried all three X-Fi operation modes (Entertainment, Game, Audio Creation). I've tried all versions of the plugin from v0.5.x to v0.6.1. Is there anyone who's successfully using the OpenAL plugin with a similar configuration?
Old 17th May 2008, 13:33   #93
gameschild

How to get dump file

Can you do this and send me the dump file so I can debug it please [PM it to me]?

Cheers
Old 17th May 2008, 20:42   #94
Tinuva

For starters on any 64bit OS do you have a way of manually getting a 32bit openal32.dll?

On 64bit XP if I use the installer I couldn't get winamp to use openal, though in my case it just didn't show up in the plug in folder at all no crashes.

In the end I installed UT3 and copied that openal32.dll over to my winamp folder and at that point I had openal usage in winamp.
Old 17th May 2008, 20:58   #95
gameschild

There is a seperate lib (library) file for Windows x64 but the people that had x64 seemed to run it fine with the x32 build.

I'll build an x64 version and post it tomorrow and we'll see how that goes.
Old 18th May 2008, 22:20   #96
NUA

In Vista x64, there are two separate directories for 32-bit and 64-bit libraries:

\Windows\System32 <- 64-bit DLLs
\Windows\SysWOW64 <- 32-bit DLLs

When 32-bit programs try to access the System32 directory, they actually see the contents of SysWOW64. Winamp, being a 32-bit application, should also be using the 32-bit DLLs (such as OpenAL32.dll) in SysWOW64. I'm not sure, but it seems that for some reason Winamp was using the 64-bit OpenAL32.dll library, because when I copied the OpenAL32.dll from SysWOW64 into the Winamp directory, the OpenAL plugin started working flawlessly, without any crashes.

So, my problem has been solved. Thanks to Tinuva for the hint. And thanks to gameschild for the plugin
Old 18th May 2008, 22:23   #97
gameschild

Ah. Been so long since I've used x64 (and even then it was XP).

I'm likey to add an x64 version anyway to see if it helps although it will only be here on the forums.

I'm also considering a non-CLR, non-GUI version optimised for SSE2 (mainly for me) so if people would be interested in that it could be included also.
Old 19th May 2008, 19:35   #98
Ceredosh

gameschild, thanks a lot for making this plugin. The high cpu usage of audiodg.exe was preventing me from using winamp in vista. Your openal plugin works flawlessly on my machine, a rather old one at that, a P4 1.6 ghz, 1 gig ram, with creative audigy 2 and vista ultimate.

Great work.
Ceredosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 20:10   #99
gameschild

Cheers.

Can I quickly ask you guys what the CPU usage of Winamp is when running? Just noticed mine was running higher than usual (20%) and wondering if that's because it's on Software rather than Hardware (because on laptop not desktop etc)
Old 19th May 2008, 20:46   #100
Boz1968

My CPU Usage is about 8% give or take a few percents.

I have a soundcard X-Fi Xtrememusic that is doing all the sound processing. When my CPU did the processing, it was around 20% or higher, which is why I so bad needed an OPENAL plugin. Vista and the Directsound output (which is unsupported in Vista) plus the soundcard's native sound enhancements equaled high CPU usage.

Now droping the Alchmey.dll (for creative soundcards) into the Winamp folder helped, but it is nowhere as effeciant has having your plugin.
Boz1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:16   #101
Ceredosh

Quote:
Originally posted by gameschild
Cheers.

Can I quickly ask you guys what the CPU usage of Winamp is when running? Just noticed mine was running higher than usual (20%) and wondering if that's because it's on Software rather than Hardware (because on laptop not desktop etc)
Mine is from 3-8%, but most of the time just 3%.
Ceredosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 20:51   #102
Tinuva

Quote:
Cheers.

When I use winamp with openal on hardware, it is on exactly 0%, when I have it on software its also 0% but jump to 1 and 2% at times.

My total CPU usage though is never 0% because the DDL usually takes up 1-4% at times not sure why it differs.

My System:
CPU: Core2Duo E6550 @ 2.3gbz not overclocked
Motherboard: XFX with NVidia NForce 680 chipset
Memory: stock DDR2 800mhz
SoundCard: Auzen X-Fi Prelude
Old 21st May 2008, 01:51   #103
Famin3

Thanks for this plugin it really does sound better!

My CPU usage is only around 3%

Thats with:

E6600
Striker Extreme
X-Fi Platinum
4gb Corsair Dominator PC8500
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
Famin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 13:02   #104
ozulus

On Vista with Pentium M 1.86GHz
Xtreme Audio Notebook

With OpenAL plugin:
3-6%

With Dsound plugin:
0-3%

I was expecting same or worse performance from start, since this card doesn't have any kind of hardware acceleration and Dsound plugin is already very mature and thus more stable. I only bought this card it because the internal one has a lot of noise.

With OpenAL plugin Winamp process hovers at around 3-6% constantly, ocasionally goes to 0.

With Directsound plugin Winamp hovers between 0-3%, where the time at 0% is about the same time as in 3%, unlike on OpenAL plugin.

Regarding how it sounds, I really am not very good at distinguishing those kind of small details. Both sound about the same to me.

EDIT: Sorry, I edited this post quite a few times to fix some typos and add a few things.
ozulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 19:28   #105
gameschild

Sorry I haven't posted any new versions in a while, I've started work on optimising the plug-in.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:11   #106
ozulus

heh?

You don't need to be sorry o_O
ozulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 20:55   #107
RejZoR

Current version works just fine, so that means stability improved greatly. Keep up the good work.
Old 25th May 2008, 09:08   #108
Tinuva

I have another problem, but I am not sure if its this plugin or driver related.

The problem only happen when DDL is enabled and only with the DDL part. When I listen to music with the openal output plugin after some time listening regular songs 2-5 minute long songs, the front right speaker will start skipping. The only way to fix it is to disable and re-enable DDL.

This also affects games, but only if I had winamp playing while playing the game. Then both the front right and back right speaker starts skipping.

As a test I added headphones to the analog output on the sound card (Auzen X-Fi Prelude) and turned up the analog volume so that I can hear the music playing on both the headphones and the amp. The skipping starts on the speakers but on the headphones the music continuous to play perfectly.

The problem is, if I play openal games and Winamp is using the direct sound output plugin this doesn't happen.

My opinion so far is, it could be either the drivers or something in the plugin that triggers this which will then also be a problem in the drivers.

Just thought I'd let you know however I don't think its something you can fix.

This is on Win XP x64, I will try later with other OS's when I get around to install Vista for example.
Old 25th May 2008, 18:05   #109
gameschild

What's DDL? ;-)
Old 25th May 2008, 18:57   #110
RejZoR

Dolby Digital Live! A realtime Dolby Digital encoder.
Old 25th May 2008, 19:45   #111
Tinuva

Quote:
What's DDL? ;-)
taken from:
code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

Quote:
Dolby Digital Live

Dolby Digital Live (DDL) is a real-time encoding technology for interactive media such as video games. It converts any audio signals on a PC or game console into the 5.1-channel Dolby Digital format and transports it via a single S/PDIF cable.[1] A similar technology known as DTS Connect is available from competitor DTS.

Dolby Digital Live is currently available in sound cards from manufacturers such as Turtle Beach[2], HT OMEGA SYSTEM[3], Auzentech[4] and Asus[5] using C-Media chipsets. The SoundStorm, used for the Xbox game console and certain nForce2-based PCs, used an early form of this technology.

DDL is also available on motherboards with codecs such as Realtek's ALC882D,[6] ALC888DD and ALC888H.

DDL is also supported by all Creative X-Fi based sound cards, but is intentionally disabled in the drivers by Creative on all but the Auzentech Prelude. A programmer by the name daniel_k has fixed these drivers in Windows Vista by un-crippling DDL and fixing other bugs and has subsequently been censored and censured by Creative for doing so. [7]

An important benefit of this technology is that it enables the use of digital multichannel sound with consumer sound cards, which are otherwise limited to PCM stereo or multichannel analog
Old 26th May 2008, 10:58   #112
gameschild

I've tried out the modified Audigy Driver (I have the Audigy 2 Platnium Ex) and the results were fairly poor as I seem to get interuptions a lot, pauses etc. All seem to occur when the CPU is doing something so I've gone back to offical drivers.

If you want 5.1 over SPDIF you could try a program by redocneXk here
Old 26th May 2008, 12:42   #113
Tinuva

I am not using any modified drivers though. Using the official ones from Auzentech who made the card. Creative drivers wont work.

code:
http://www.auzentech.com/
Old 26th May 2008, 12:57   #114
gameschild

Hehe whoops, sorry forgot to mention a few steps. Ok someone enabled DDL on the Audigy cards through a mod and the driver didnt really work for me (explains that part).

Without the hardware it's very hard to debug unless you have Visual Studio and some development/C++ knowledge but if you want to give the 0.7 version I'm working on a shot you're more than welcome. If you do I may add some more debugging so I can see what it's upto.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:54   #115
Tinuva

Sure no problem. I do have VS 2005 installed though as to debugging you might need to give a few tips. I usually just code stuff but nothing like this.

Auzentech states they will release new drivers the 28th for the Prelude cards but not much hope since they have pushed back that date 2 times already.
Old 6th June 2008, 18:05   #116
! AA !

Heh, if they want to keep calling it Winamp it will have to. Otherwise it would just be called Winamp Xp
! AA ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 09:56   #117
gameschild

Version 0.7.2

Version 0.7.2 is out

Download

As you'll notice it's on SourceForge now which means you can access the source code and modify it to your hearts content. It's GPL so you'll need to do the usual (give credit/release src code mods etc) but hopefully someone will take an interest!

All the release notes etc are on there too.

Big thanks go out to Tinuva for helping during development and debugging!
Old 7th June 2008, 10:10   #118
hugo25

Version 0.7.2 crach when I click On config.

SourceForge is very slow !
hugo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 10:20   #119
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by hugo25
Version 0.7.2 crach when I click On config.
Yep just found that one, it's when you dont have the settings already in Winamp.ini from a previous version. Will fix quickly but will take a while to get it all back onto sourceforge.

Version 0.7.3

Sorry about that chaps.
Old 7th June 2008, 10:58   #120
hugo25

Thanks, 0.7.3 works fine.

Support 24 bit is in plan ?
hugo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion