Old 5th August 2022, 08:36   #161
gulbis37

crashed in this morning
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (86.6 KB, 118 views)
gulbis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 09:33   #162
drivetheory

Long Live Winamp!
drivetheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 11:50   #163
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Just to clarify...

The issue where some 3rd-party msvc90-dependent plugins were showing as "not loaded" under all OS was a manifest-related issue (as outlined earlier in this thread) - and is already fixed for the next public version.

The issue where some 1st-party plugins (Modern Skins gen_ff, gen_tray, ml_bookmarks, ml_disc, ml_history, ml_rg, ml_impex, ml_transcode) are "not loaded" on Windows 7 to 8.1 is a separate issue that we are still investigating.

We hope to have it fixed asap so we can then release another public build...
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 11:52   #164
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulbis37 View Post
crashed in this morning

Crashing in Shoutcast DSP v2.4
Were you broadcasting at the time?
Old 5th August 2022, 12:43   #165
MisterTheLoaf

No crashes, but completely unusable on my 32 inch 4K monitor. So tiny I can't see anything. Control to increase scaling is missing.

I can only get the "Classic" skin. Trying to use the Modern skin throws up an error message that I don't have Modern Skin support installed - but I made sure that it was checked during installation.

Oh well, back to 5.666.

Nice try but no banana.
MisterTheLoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 12:46   #166
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post

The issue where some 1st-party plugins (Modern Skins gen_ff, gen_tray, ml_bookmarks, ml_disc, ml_history, ml_rg, ml_impex, ml_transcode) are "not loaded" on Windows 7 to 8.1 is a separate issue that we are still investigating.

We hope to have it fixed asap so we can then release another public build...
Thanks for the clarification, DJ Egg. I often forget that some users are still running much older versions of Windows.

Winamp 5.9.1 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)
MS Surface Pro 8 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
Windows 11 22621.1105. Avatar art by Zohaib Khan
Mikey7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 13:03   #167
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTheLoaf View Post
No crashes, but completely unusable on my 32 inch 4K monitor. So tiny I can't see anything. Control to increase scaling is missing.

I can only get the "Classic" skin. Trying to use the Modern skin throws up an error message that I don't have Modern Skin support installed - but I made sure that it was checked during installation.

Oh well, back to 5.666.

Nice try but no banana.

What's your Windows OS?
If it's Win7 to 8.1, then gen_ff not loading is a known issue (see my post two above yours, and earlier posts).

Does 5.666 look any better on your monitor?

One of the disadvantages of skinned apps...
and certainly an area we need to improve upon in future releases.

You can increase the Playlist and Media Library text via Prefs => Playlist.

Double Size mode for Classic skins will increase the main window & EQ,
but probably doesn't look too good on today's large monitors.

We include our own Scaling feature for Modern/Freeform skins.
e.g. Bento skin => main menu (top left corner icon, or right-click anywhere on frame) => Windows Settings => Scaling...

Additionally, Modern skins main window font size can be increased via Prefs => Modern Skins => Font Rendering.

Big Bento skin is a bit trickier.
Main window songticker & MCV File Info area font can be increased via the Font Mapper (same tab as above).
e.g. Map from: Arial to Arial
Scale = increase to taste

But then, to fix the overlapping text in the info area, you've also got to manually modify:
Winamp\Skins\Big Bento\xml\player-normal-mcv.xml

Search for/scroll down to <groupdef id="bento.infodisplay.line" embed_xui="text" xuitag="Bento:InfoLine">
Change the y="-2" value under <Text id="label"> and <Text id="text"> sections to e.g. -4 or -6 or whatever works best.
Save the XML and hit F5 in Winamp to refresh the skin.

It's all good fun :-)
Old 5th August 2022, 13:20   #168
Mikey7

Quote:

You can increase the Playlist and Media Library text via Prefs => Playlist.

Double Size mode for Classic skins will increase the main window & EQ,
but probably doesn't look too good on today's large monitors.

We include our own Scaling feature for Modern/Freeform skins.
e.g. Bento skin => main menu (top left corner icon, or right-click anywhere on frame) => Windows Settings => Scaling...

Additionally, Modern skins main window font size can be increased via Prefs => Modern Skins => Font Rendering.
To clarify, I think from what he wrote that Modern Skins work fine on his 4K monitor under 5.666 but aren't loading at all on 5.9. He can't find the scaling option in 5.9 because it doesn't exist if gen_ff doesn't load and all he has are Classic Skins, which can't be scaled, only double-sized as you pointed out.

Winamp 5.9.1 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)
Old 5th August 2022, 13:58   #169
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
To clarify, I think from what he wrote that Modern Skins work fine on his 4K monitor under 5.666 but aren't loading at all on 5.9. He can't find the scaling option in 5.9 because it doesn't exist if gen_ff doesn't load and all he has are Classic Skins, which can't be scaled, only double-sized as you pointed out.

Yup. Though that's not necessarily a Winamp 5.9-specific issue on 4K monitors, it's just an issue that gen_ff isn't loading on Win7-8.1.
Old 5th August 2022, 20:02   #170
Someautisticdude

JoeSandbox classifies this as Suspicious. Any comments on the activities listed in this report? https://www.joesandbox.com/analysis/676551/0/html
Someautisticdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 20:39   #171
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someautisticdude View Post
JoeSandbox classifies this as Suspicious. Any comments on the activities listed in this report? https://www.joesandbox.com/analysis/676551/0/html
It's a false-positive. Other virus software gives it the thumbs up including Windows Defender. This, along with many other current issues has been discussed within this reasonably short thread.

Old 5th August 2022, 22:39   #172
psyk2152

Loading Equalizer Presets buggy

hi there,

when im trying to load a "preset" for the equalizer, i always got only chinese symbols in the Load Eq preset -menue which i cant read, so there is no way to select a preferred preset. (note = us-language pack is installed).

greetings from germany.
(and keep up the good work)

:-)
psyk2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 00:40   #173
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyk2152 View Post
hi there,

when im trying to load a "preset" for the equalizer, i always got only chinese symbols in the Load Eq preset -menue which i cant read, so there is no way to select a preferred preset. (note = us-language pack is installed).

greetings from germany.
(and keep up the good work)

if you had taken the time to read the entire thread you would have found that it's a known issue. it's been mentioned several times before .
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 00:52   #174
psyk2152

ok sry

ok sorry about that.

psyk2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 01:05   #175
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someautisticdude View Post
Quote:
It's a false-positive. Other virus software gives it the thumbs up including Windows Defender. This, along with many other current issues has been discussed within this reasonably short thread.

McAfee now says we're clean
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...0a196ca3a2385c

Just one false-positive remains (from VBA32)

JoeSandbox's report is poor :-(

There's one false-positive remaining.

Previously, 7 AV vendors reported false-positives, but have since corrected it after it was brought to their attention.

SHOUT, ICY, UVOX & SC are our proprietary URL protocols, not file extensions.
We have every right to register our own proprietary protocols.

We attempt to create a Windows firewall rule because Winamp requires internet access for many features to work, such as Online Services, Podcasts, Shoutcast... and previous features which might reappear in a forthcoming release, such as NowPlaying, Autotag/CDDB, etc.

There's no dodgy flash file included with the installation.
winampFLV.swf is part of the Shockwave Flash Support component and is installed alongside in_swf.dll, if selected.

The uninstaller might require a reboot if some components (such as Elevator.exe / elevatorps.dll) can't be uninstalled without one.

There's no "potential crypto function". We use OpenSSL/crypt32 for https:// protocol support.

There's an option to enable the Winamp Agent which used to be able to monitor the registry for file association changes. But iirc this only worked on OS prior to Windows Vista.

We need to query system specs to determine if selected features will work, such as Milkdrop vis (requires specific DirectX libs which might not be present by default), high quality video support, 24bit audio, Windows Media 9 support (not guaranteed to be present on all systems), etc.

Drops files with a non-matching file extension...?
W5S is a renamed DLL
We used w5s to specify it being a Winamp 5 System component.
We've been doing this for 15 years.

Creates files inside the user directory? Really?
Like thousands of other programs out there, we save settings in %AppData%

Reads ini files?
We need to check for paths.ini, install.ini, winamp.ini, gen_ml.ini & ml_online.ini
to determine if a previous installation exists with certain settings which need maintaining,
or if not, we then create them with default settings instead.

Creates temporary files?
This is how NSIS installers work.
NSIS has been doing this for 20 years.

And so on, etc.
Old 6th August 2022, 01:13   #176
psyfer9983

So far so good. But, I miss "Enhancer 017" DSP plug-in. Is there any way to get that to work with 5.9?

Enhancer 017 - https://winampheritage.com/plugin/enhancer-017/81361
psyfer9983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 01:13   #177
SumGuy9

I'm really happy Winamp's finally coming back!

I found a minor bug with the system tray though -

"Window Settings" is missing from the system tray context menu unless you right-click the main GUI.
The scaling number in the tray also doesn't show the proper selection unless you right-click the main GUI again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7xDZ1SRZrg
SumGuy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 01:34   #178
psyfer9983

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyfer9983 View Post
So far so good. But, I miss "Enhancer 017" DSP plug-in. Is there any way to get that to work with 5.9?

Enhancer 017 - https://winampheritage.com/plugin/enhancer-017/81361
I found the wrapper version of this plugin doesn't load in 5.8.

If anyone wants to use this plugin, install the non-wrapper version and do the following the get rid of the registry error. Run the installer as admin, run Winamp as admin then load/open the plugin. Next close Winamp and open regedit. Go to the following key below and give the user "everyone" full access to the key. Now you can run Winamp as normal and still be able to use the plugin without the registry error popup.

reg key to edit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Ioscasoft
psyfer9983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 01:38   #179
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumGuy9 View Post
I'm really happy Winamp's finally coming back!

I found a minor bug with the system tray though -

"Window Settings" is missing from the system tray context menu unless you right-click the main GUI.
The scaling number in the tray also doesn't show the proper selection unless you right-click the main GUI again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7xDZ1SRZrg

Yes, that is a strange one. Good catch.
It's the same if you Shift+right-click on the Taskbar icon => Winamp => menu...

I could well be a bug.
Though at a guess, it needs to be initialized first via the Winamp UI before it can appear in the system menu.
Old 6th August 2022, 02:45   #180
yodaUT

I tried to install this new winamp beta in Win11 sandbox and it immediately crashes on launch (after installation).

It's probably a weird directx require thing, but i still wanted to complain about it.

please let me know if you need tech details.
yodaUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 03:56   #181
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaUT View Post
I tried to install this new winamp beta in Win11 sandbox and it immediately crashes on launch (after installation).

It's probably a weird directx require thing, but i still wanted to complain about it.

please let me know if you need tech details.

Hmm, I'm not certain, but I doubt if Winamp can ever work from within the Windows Sandbox.

I'll need to do more research and try it myself, but Winamp has core Windows dependencies and requires direct access to Windows system files (kernel32, user32, shlwapi, comctl32, gdi32, rpcrt4, ole32, comdlg32, msacm32, DirectX, Media Foundation, drivers, etc.) - so if Sandbox blocks full access to any of those files/features, Winamp isn't going to work.
Old 6th August 2022, 11:16   #182
gulbis37

Quote:
Crashing in Shoutcast DSP v2.4
Were you broadcasting at the time?
to https://www.internet-radio.com/ and https://www.shoutcast.com/
gulbis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 20:21   #183
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
He is saying that users are figuring out how to use *his* plugins in 5.9 against his express wishes. <snip> Personally I think its a bit petty to complain that he made/upgraded plugins for 5.666 (3516) but doesn't want them to work on 5.9 (9999) because he didn't work on that team and doesn't like the new company.

<snip>

Agreed and in my opinion I think he's complaining about nothing.
i'm shocked! ha.

Darren, if ur reading this, dude, u gotta learn to relax. u turn ur biggest fans, like i was, into beefs. everyone knows you're a gifted programmer, the problem with you isn't that.

also, imo, ur lucky radionomy isn't suing you.

Quote:
Making them work again for the next release (by fixing the Winamp manifest) is a bug fix - and maintains backwards compatibility.

If only we'd realised sooner that VS2019 broke the manifest (d'oh!), then we obviously wouldn't have needed to mention it :-(
this worries me, like was said in some earlier posts, it won't be clear which release is the LATEST release, so please allow me a suggestion:

include the RELEASE DATE in the filename. for example:

winamp_2022_07-July_28_5.9-RC.exe

Quote:
This is precisely why we went from internal beta to RC status before going Final :-)
since for some reason, i wasn't chosen to be a beta tester, in spite of my long history for finding bugs and their causes and how to reproduce, i will probably sit out 5.9 for now...

if i could make another suggestion... winamp often seems to allow for perfection paralysis, where it wants everything to be done and perfect before its released. another way of saying is, is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the pretty good.

the delays with winamp releases in past years bc of stupid things like CD ripping or burning, lack of gracenote replacement, lack of jtfe replacement, and on and on was imo, a HUGE mistake.

its great that 5.9 is out now, but just keep chipping away at stuff, don't delay releases bc of whatever isn't perfect yet.

for jtfe expicitly, get one of your devs to reverse engineer 2 or 3 features and release an open source version of it, and allow the community to help build it so it eventually replaces all the missing features. i would argue most of jtfe isn't used by hardly anyone, but of course it has a few nearly must have abilities.

another suggestion i would make, is DL and look at EAC, exact audio copy. it has a plugin system for cddb / gracenote like features, so you can use free sources or paid ones or whatever you want, musicbrainz, etc. the point is you have more than ONE source available to you to audiofingerprint or whatnot. EAC also has a pretty sweet album art retrieval system.

congrats Egg, i'm sure this is very satisfying for you!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 21:48   #184
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i'm shocked! ha.

Darren, if ur reading this, dude, u gotta learn to relax. u turn ur biggest fans, like i was, into beefs. everyone knows you're a gifted programmer, the problem with you isn't that.
No kidding. His problem is that his Discord is an echo chamber for him and Eris. I'm still a patron - paying to offset development, right? Wrong. I *dared* to ask him about how WACUP could be packaged as a product, maybe with Eris' "declassified" skins. Then all hell broke out. Eris, along with their sycophants went after me asking me who the hell I thought I was "telling them how to run their server and what to do with their respective programming," both of them yelling at me in all-caps and swearing to take their respective balls and go home. I told 'em both off in a comment and never looked back. I said I was pulling my patronage (but didn't). He kicked me out of the beta program.

Quote:
also, imo, ur lucky radionomy isn't suing you.
No kidding! I did everything I could to support both of them emotionally and ask questions and make suggestions to pull WACUP in the right direction (so they were untouchable). Neither wanted to hear about it. Silly me, I'm still not going to pull my patronage because like you said, he's a great programmer. I won't tell you what I think of the other party. His best bet is to continue to write (or in most cases, update) great plugins that work in both his eventual clone AND in 5.9.x. There are plenty of clones and they don't get sued by Winamp's owners for constantly running their mouths and throwing them shade.

Quote:
(snip) this worries me, like was said in some earlier posts, it won't be clear which release is the LATEST release, so please allow me a suggestion:

include the RELEASE DATE in the filename. for example:

winamp_2022_07-July_28_5.9-RC.exe

since for some reason, i wasn't chosen to be a beta tester, in spite of my long history for finding bugs and their causes and how to reproduce, i will probably sit out 5.9 for now...

if i could make another suggestion... winamp often seems to allow for perfection paralysis, where it wants everything to be done and perfect before its released. another way of saying is, is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the pretty good.

the delays with winamp releases in past years bc of stupid things like CD ripping or burning, lack of gracenote replacement, lack of jtfe replacement, and on and on was imo, a HUGE mistake.

its great that 5.9 is out now, but just keep chipping away at stuff, don't delay releases bc of whatever isn't perfect yet.
Agreed. I have 3 choices. I can run 5.666 with certain 3rd party plugins (see above) or I can run WACUP 7236 with those same plugins, OR - I can run 5.9 RC1 with some older plugins that get me 95% of the way there knowing that RC2 will let me run the others. I choose to run 5.9 RC1 to extricate myself from the private little world of WACUP and encourage others to do so to the best of my ability because I believe in the project and team. Winamp 5.9.x is the real deal. Why run a clone with features that only appeal to retro gamers and retro OS enthusiasts when you can move into the future with the Llama? Personally, I'm embarrassed I let myself be so negatively influenced before waiting to see what was actually delivered.

Quote:
for jtfe expicitly, get one of your devs to reverse engineer 2 or 3 features and release an open source version of it, and allow the community to help build it so it eventually replaces all the missing features. i would argue most of jtfe isn't used by hardly anyone, but of course it has a few nearly must have abilities.
I've never used it and see no use for it but I've read comments here suggesting that it is so important to some that they'd rather go back to 5.666 rather than move ahead with 5.9. Therefore, I agree with your suggestion.

Quote:
another suggestion i would make, is DL and look at EAC, exact audio copy. it has a plugin system for cddb / gracenote like features, so you can use free sources or paid ones or whatever you want, musicbrainz, etc. the point is you have more than ONE source available to you to audiofingerprint or whatnot. EAC also has a pretty sweet album art retrieval system.

congrats Egg, i'm sure this is very satisfying for you!
Great suggestions, Cheers!

Old 6th August 2022, 23:39   #185
musicf8
Major Dude

Glad to see that there is development on Winamp. Couple questions regarding this release-

1. Why is this called RC? From my understanding RC stands for Release Candidate which usually falls between Beta and Gold/Final but based on the number of known issues and issues in the thread it seems this should be labeled Beta (or Alpha even). It seems odd to me that the 5.8 beta has less issues than 5.9 RC1

2. Is there an update on the plan for future of Winamp? Originally it was stated that 5.8 isn't an ongoing project and it was then generally assumed that the next version was 6 which would be completely different. So, what's the plan now? Will Winamp as we know continue past 5.9 (as winamp classic or something) or is the plan to get 5.9x feature complete before changing over to whatever winamp6 will be, or has all the future plans completely changed due to everything the past few years?

Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2022, 00:14   #186
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Glad to see that there is development on Winamp. Couple questions regarding this release-

1. Why is this called RC? From my understanding RC stands for Release Candidate which usually falls between Beta and Gold/Final but based on the number of known issues and issues in the thread it seems this should be more labeled Beta (or Alpha even). It seems odd to me that the 5.8 beta has less issues than 5.9 RC1

2. Is there and update on the plan for future of Winamp? Originally it was stated that 5.8 isn't an ongoing project and it was then generally assumed that the next version was 6 which would be completely different. So, what's the plan now? Will Winamp as we know continue past 5.9 (as winamp classic or something) or is the plan to get 5.9x feature complete before changing over to whatever winamp6 will be, or has all the future plans completely changed due to everything the past few years?

It seems to me that the answers to your questions have already been addressed either in the release notes or this thread. From the perspective of a Windows 11 user, this product is pretty polished. I have no issue with it being named Release Candidate #1 especially knowing *what* will be fixed in RC2. Eqg and the rest of the developers are human - they missed a manifest entry from 5.666 that didn't make it into 5.8. They used 5.8 as their model go-forward due to licensing issues. Almost all the bugs are known and being actively addressed.

That leaves the issue with gen_ff and other components not loading into Windows 7/8.1. It would appear that issue didn't exist in the Beta and is a recent glitch. I have no doubt it will be addressed. Considering they're going for backwards compatibility from Windows 11 all the way back to Windows 7 including plugins, I'd say they're pretty darn close and I can't imagine the challenges in trying to cover all those years and all those Windows releases.

They were pretty clear IMHO that Winamp 6 was strictly an Android product with funding via their NFT initiative. With as much negative feedback as they've received, I'm hoping they change their minds about that sort of monetization but in any event, it has nothing to do with 5.9.x DJ Egg has been very clear on this Forum regarding the future of Windows-based Winamp, picking up where 5.8 left off and again, due to licensing issues that exist with features included in 5.666.

I hope this helps.

Old 7th August 2022, 06:08   #187
heavyoak

I very much want to test this but I have too many plugins and a working setup.

I'll wait for final release.

Glad to see winamp come back.

heavyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2022, 13:05   #188
ECraig

As far as I can see everybody's talking on this forum about bugs and added/lost functionality etc. but no one seems concerned about improving the quality of reproduction.
Since any non-audio processing impairs the sound to a degree, I can see some space for improvement in Winamp.
I suggest an option to disable the seeker (for instance by Ctrl+click on it, etc.) and even the timer too.
When you start a playlist and sit (or lie down) to listen, the sound quality is the only thing you're interested in, and the seeker or timer are of no interest at all.
(I tried disabling the seekbar in foobar2000, and you can hear a slight improvement in sound, so I suppose the same would happen in Winamp).
I guess it would not be so hard to implement.
ECraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2022, 16:58   #189
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyoak View Post
I very much want to test this but I have too many plugins and a working setup.

I'll wait for final release.

Glad to see winamp come back.
I run several instances of Winamp, from Winamp 3 through Winamp 5.9, including 5.666. Just tell the installer where you want to install the Winamp 5.9 files - instead of ...\...\winamp\, choose \winamp59 or even a separate drive if you want. You can only associate files to one of them of course and for now, perhaps that will be 5.666 if that's your Winamp of choice. Otherwise, you'll be able to run 5.9 just fine this way.

Old 7th August 2022, 17:56   #190
yodaUT

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not certain, but I doubt if Winamp can ever work from within the Windows Sandbox.

I'll need to do more research and try it myself, but Winamp has core Windows dependencies and requires direct access to Windows system files (kernel32, user32, shlwapi, comctl32, gdi32, rpcrt4, ole32, comdlg32, msacm32, DirectX, Media Foundation, drivers, etc.) - so if Sandbox blocks full access to any of those files/features, Winamp isn't going to work.
I thought I would mention it because I'm still using 5.666 build 3156 (i'm old) and it installs and runs fine sandbox
yodaUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2022, 18:08   #191
lucashubner

is there any chance to have a working version for linux?
lucashubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2022, 18:54   #192
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucashubner View Post
is there any chance to have a working version for linux?
Linux users typically run Winamp in WINE.

Old 7th August 2022, 20:19   #193
0xc83470

Always excited to see Winamp updates. I have been using it near daily for ~20 years. Thank you all for the hard work. Been meaning to try out developing plugins for random things.

I have a Windows 7 SP1 laptop, and it gives me an error about the modern skin support. Did a test with a dependency walker, and it complained about tataki.dll. Must be that the Shared folder is loaded explicitly: when I added it to my path, it didn't complain of any errors. Doesn't appear to be a dependency issue (given a cursory look and my not being a Winamp developer...).

Happy to try out anything else to help diagnose.
0xc83470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2022, 20:48   #194
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaUT View Post
I thought I would mention it because I'm still using 5.666 build 3156 (i'm old) and it installs and runs fine sandbox

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info. Ok, we'll look into it.
Old 7th August 2022, 21:13   #195
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xc83470 View Post
Always excited to see Winamp updates. I have been using it near daily for ~20 years. Thank you all for the hard work. Been meaning to try out developing plugins for random things.

I have a Windows 7 SP1 laptop, and it gives me an error about the modern skin support. Did a test with a dependency walker, and it complained about tataki.dll. Must be that the Shared folder is loaded explicitly: when I added it to my path, it didn't complain of any errors. Doesn't appear to be a dependency issue (given a cursory look and my not being a Winamp developer...).

Please read this reasonably short (5 pages) thread. All of this has been discussed and they're actively working on it.

Old 8th August 2022, 00:45   #196
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:

We've contemplated doing that, but only as a last resort.

Does it also make all the other 1st-party plugins load for you?
(namely: gen_tray, ml_bookmarks, ml_disc, ml_history, ml_rg, ml_impex, ml_transcode)

I've found an easy way for the installer to do it,
but I'm a bit concerned about the potential impact on other installations/instances of Winamp,
e.g. if v5.666 and v5.8 are also present elsewhere on the system.
It probably doesn't affect them, but we'd need to make sure first.
Old 8th August 2022, 01:27   #197
Mikey7

Quote:

My apologies for my earlier reply - I didn't read the 2nd paragraph thoroughly enough.

Old 8th August 2022, 13:30   #198
0xc83470

Quote:
My apologies for my earlier reply - I didn't read the 2nd paragraph thoroughly enough.
All good--was mostly for my curiosity, as I did read that the team was working on it. I should have suspected that it wouldn't be as simple as a dll dependency though. (I'm a software developer, and we run into that sort of thing often.)

Quote:
We've contemplated doing that, but only as a last resort.

Does it also make all the other 1st-party plugins load for you?
(namely: gen_tray, ml_bookmarks, ml_disc, ml_history, ml_rg, ml_impex, ml_transcode)

I've found an easy way for the installer to do it,
but I'm a bit concerned about the potential impact on other installations/instances of Winamp,
e.g. if v5.666 and v5.8 are also present elsewhere on the system.
It probably doesn't affect them, but we'd need to make sure first.
Adding the Shared directory to my path shows that all of those dll's are successfully loaded in the dependency walker. Just to clarify on my previous post, Winamp still gives the "modern skin" error even when the Shared folder is in the path, but the dependency walker does not show any errors. Sorry for the confusion.
0xc83470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2022, 14:10   #199
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
All good--was mostly for my curiosity, as I did read that the team was working on it. I should have suspected that it wouldn't be as simple as a dll dependency though. (I'm a software developer, and we run into that sort of thing often.)

Adding the Shared directory to my path shows that all of those dll's are successfully loaded in the dependency walker. Just to clarify on my previous post, Winamp still gives the "modern skin" error even when the Shared folder is in the path, but the dependency walker does not show any errors. Sorry for the confusion.

Ohh, ok. We'll scrap that idea then.
Internally, we've got most of the plugins loading now on Win7-8.1, but not all.
We're getting there...
Old 8th August 2022, 14:18   #200
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It also looks like the Runtime DLLs we include in the “Winamp\Microsoft.VC142.CRT” folder aren't enough on some Windows 7 - 8.1 systems.

If Winamp is crashing on load for you on Win7-8.1, then try installing the full VS2019 Runtime Redistributable package from:

- https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-...edistributable

- https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

We could make the Winamp installer check the registry to see if it's already installed, and if not, attempt to download and install it - but as we've found with DirectX and WM9, it doesn't always work (probably because of local firewall blocking it).

Or we could add that MS installer to our installer (maybe have a separate installer for Win7-8.1)?
But it would add anything up to 13mb to our installer...

Or we could just add it to the FAQs (forum, wiki, Help, etc), i.e. if Winamp doesn't load at all on Win7-8.1, please install this!

What a shemozzle, eh?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion