Old 3rd October 2010, 16:59   #1
killyourfm

Cannot connect DSP to Remote Server (Bluehost Dedicated IP)

Hey gang;

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to assist...

First, some background: I have a Dedicated IP hosting account (Linux based) with Bluehost, and have already checked w/ their customer service that I can run a shoutcast server.

I downloaded version 1.9.8, extracted it to my home directory on the server, configured the .conf file to use a Portbase of 8000, and started the service successfully (it is waiting for listeners)

Using Winamp's DSP plugin (in addition to SAM) I am unable to connect to the remote host, despite trying everything I could think of. I've entered the p/w correctly, tried various encoders, entered insomniaradio.net as well as our IP address in the server field...All it does is hang on "connecting" for about 10 seconds and then displays "not connected."

I also called Bluehost last night and asked them to open up ports 8000/8001 TCP/UDP (outbound) which they have done. I cannot access the stats/admin page by visiting http://insomniaradio.net:8000.

I'm stumped and flabbergasted.
killyourfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:57   #2
SnowHow

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyourfm View Post
Hey gang;

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to assist...

First, some background: I have a Dedicated IP hosting account (Linux based) with Bluehost, and have already checked w/ their customer service that I can run a shoutcast server.

I downloaded version 1.9.8, extracted it to my home directory on the server, configured the .conf file to use a Portbase of 8000, and started the service successfully (it is waiting for listeners)

Using Winamp's DSP plugin (in addition to SAM) I am unable to connect to the remote host, despite trying everything I could think of. I've entered the p/w correctly, tried various encoders, entered insomniaradio.net as well as our IP address in the server field...All it does is hang on "connecting" for about 10 seconds and then displays "not connected."

I also called Bluehost last night and asked them to open up ports 8000/8001 TCP/UDP (outbound) which they have done. I cannot access the stats/admin page by visiting http://insomniaradio.net:8000.

I'm stumped and flabbergasted.
I looked up the IP to your root domain name and entered the IP into my browser and your site came up...

Soooo...

Is your site and the Shoutcast server on the same server? If not, then the server you are trying to connect to has a different IP and you need to update your DNS settings to point to that server.

Example:

Site: www.domain.com = 123.45.6.789
Server: svr.domain.com = 456.78.9.123

Since the link you gave points to your website (on port 8000), my question is does the Shoutcast server and the website have the same IP? If not, there's your problem.

Hope this helps,

SH

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!
SnowHow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:59   #3
killyourfm

Yep, our dedicated IP server hosts both the site and Shoutcast.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:24   #4
SnowHow

Quote:
Yep, our dedicated IP server hosts both the site and Shoutcast.
Just to make sure we are on the same page:

You have a dedicated server with a dedicated IP.

You installed sc_serv in the root directory and configured the .conf file with the ports, passwords etc.

You then started the server with an SSH connection (like "putty") or through the control panel by going to /yoursitedirectory/sc_serv to start the server, and all the ports have been opened by customer service.

If all the above is correct, I should have been able to see the DNAS page on the link above, so either the ports are blocked or the server isn't running.

Please confirm the steps you took to start the server and maybe we can track down the gremlin in the machine...

SH

Old 3rd October 2010, 18:39   #5
killyourfm

@SnowHow: Those are exactly the steps I took :-)

To start the server, I entered ./sc_serv

UPDATE: I just downloaded Advanced Port Scanner and according to the results, Bluehost never opened up ports 8000/8001 despite indicating otherwise.

I'll give them a ring today and drive home the point, then report back here if I'm still unable to connect.

thanks;
jason
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:42   #6
SnowHow

Quote:
@SnowHow: Those are exactly the steps I took :-)

To start the server, I entered ./sc_serv

UPDATE: I just downloaded Advanced Port Scanner and according to the results, Bluehost never opened up ports 8000/8001 despite indicating otherwise.

I'll give them a ring today and drive home the point, then report back here if I'm still unable to connect.

thanks;
jason
Good Deal!

Good Luck!

SH

Old 4th October 2010, 03:52   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
I also called Bluehost last night and asked them to open up ports 8000/8001 TCP/UDP (outbound)
there's your problem ... the ports need to be opened INBOUND, as they are not making a connection (outbound) they are listening for connections (INBOUND)

hope this helps

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support

Tags
1.9.8, bluehost, dsp, shoutcast, web server