Old 20th October 2010, 03:22   #1
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
DSP Flicker

Is anybody else seeing this? The flicker doesn't just affect any window any DSP opens up but also the audio the DSP is modifying.

This bug is really annoying, especially when you're running a SHOUTcast station using the official SHOUTcast DSP. Whenever it gets flickered the main window either goes completely blank or crashes Winamp altogether. On sensitive DSPs this bug is much worse. I think this is a core bug (not specifically cause by any individual plugin) because I see this whether or not I install the Lite version of Winamp with as minimal install as possible or the full (stark raving mad 100% default just-mash-the-next-button) install.

I am completely surprised nobody else has mentioned this. Others might not think this is a bug but I most certainly do. It causes me many headaches when I'm switching DSPs around or if I'm trying to debug my own DSP, or if I just plain forgot to deselect "DSP/Effect" in the Preferences window before closing it.

I did a complete clean install according to the troubleshooters guide to the letter! Even though it's probably not necessary, I am also including the information requested by the "How to write a useful bug report" thread, also to the letter (I think.) I've seen Winamp do this on every computer I have access to (all are Windows XP, except for my Linux server which I run Winamp under Wine on and it too has the exact same bug.)

Now that I've completed this procedure I will again wipe my Winamp install, and wipe my computer of all that annoying CRAP that came with the default install of Winamp and revert to my sane installation. lol I ain't doin' that crap again!

Please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSPFlicker.PNG
Views:	382
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	47766  
Attached Files
File Type: zip thinktinksDiags.zip (18.7 KB, 221 views)
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 09:40   #2
DrO

going on what i remember from the source code, it seems to be working as expected with any click causing a close + re-init of the selected dsp entry (noticed it when making the Enhancer DSP wrapper which i thought was the normal behaviour).

there must have been a reason for doing that back when the prefs page was made but i'm not too sure whether it is a bug or more an undesired feature in the scenario you've mentioned. i do agree that ideally clicking on a non-item shouldn't cause that action so will see if that can be logged to be fixed... but otherwise the existing behaviour should remain i think for compatibility (even if it causes plug-ins to crash in a dsp-stacker but that's more something to be fixed in the dsp-stacker i think).

and i've no idea why the SPS window has done that as i'm not able to reproduce it no matter what i've tried.

Quote:
Now that I've completed this procedure I will again wipe my Winamp install, and wipe my computer of all that annoying CRAP that came with the default install of Winamp and revert to my sane installation. lol I ain't doin' that crap again!
there's a certain level of sensibility needed when doing a clean install test so somethings can still be removed, working on a click next action in those cases isn't something that would be recommended

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 15:07   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
...even if it causes plug-ins to crash in a dsp-stacker but that's more something to be fixed in the dsp-stacker i think).
You don't need a DSP stacker to make Winamp crash with the DSP flicker:

Quote:
and i've no idea why the SPS window has done that as i'm not able to reproduce it no matter what i've tried.
I did a complete and full default install of Winamp on Windows XP. I ran this test on both super Lite install (which did not include the SPS) and full install. I only saw it on the first start-up of Winamp after a clean full reinstall. For the longest time I couldn't figure that bloody thing out until I happened to accidentally double click on the title bar and it came up. It was like running Windows 3.1 again! I don't use the SPS so I'm probably not going to try it again as it's really a side bug to this thread context anyway but it did show the effect the DSP flicker was having on it. Every time it flickered it would pop back down minimized to the bottom left hand corner of my screen.

Quote:
there's a certain level of sensibility needed when doing a clean install test so somethings can still be removed, working on a click next action in those cases isn't something that would be recommended
I reread the clean full reinstall instructions, looks like I misinterpreted them. GAH! I coulda' saved myself some headaches!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DontNeedDSPStackerToMakeWinampCrash.png
Views:	390
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	47771  
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 15:20   #4
DrO

well i did say i was able to confirm a flicker but it's no where near like what you've provided in your screenshot though dsp stackers do by their nature add a level of instability to things.

as i'm doing some dsp work at the moment i'll have to keep an eye out for crashes and see if i can get anything like you've posted though obviously the close + open action on the plug-in's seems to be intended so i'm not going to worry about that too much at the moment.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
dsp, flicker