Old 26th July 2010, 02:00   #1
NickJC

Network permanently banned

Hello,

We run a SHOUTcast hosting service and it has recently come to my attention one of our servers have become banned from the directory. I have tried reading up on the issue, but I have not really found any specific way to figure out what caused the ban or how to go about getting unbanned. Obviously if we have a customer doing something illegal or against the rules, we can take proper actions against the offender accordingly, however, without any notification or reason for the ban, it is bit difficult to look into.

Can somebody direct me in the right direction to get more info about the ban and what we can do to get removed? It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
NickJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 20:54   #2
nradisch

NickJC,

Banning is generally done manually by the people who manage the SHOUTcast database at AOL. You should contact Faisal Sultan (SC_Faisal) for clarification about the ban.

--Neil
nradisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 22:58   #3
chuckeh
SHOUTcast Freak

Which radios do you host? There are some very well known faking and abusing stations I know which where banned some time ago...
chuckeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 00:40   #4
NickJC

We host hundreds upon hundreds of stations from paying clients and it wouldn't be very practical to list all stations here. I am not quite sure when the ban exactly happened, I am assuming sometime recently as it just came to my attention, and we have started getting clients asking about it.

It is to bad SHOUTcast can't provide some type of database where a business can register servers and ipblocks to a e-mail to get notification of a station going again listing policies. It would give us a chance to investigate and solve issues instead of just an immediate complete subnet banning. We have dealt with a handful of copyright and takedown notices in the past and they were dealt with accordingly. It just so happened this ban luckily affects one of our servers on a completely different ipblock / subnet from our others, otherwise we would be in a world of hurt.

Currently I have contacted SC_Faisal, and I will look into contacting AOL directly as well now.

Again thank you for your help and suggestions, it is very much appreciated.

- Nick
NickJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 00:45   #5
fc*uk

Just leave things with Faisal if I understand the position/replacement well enough. Taking it to AOL might not hurt, but it kinda falls on def ears. Assuming Faisal is managing the database (or knows who is), then your request will be looked into.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 08:36   #6
chuckeh
SHOUTcast Freak

Yeah, Faisal is working on it. Contacting AOL directly is bullshit, you won't get lucky with it.. There are not only working 2 people at AOL
chuckeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support