Old 5th October 2022, 21:48   #521
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiktip View Post

Maybe there could be a smaller version of the player, for those who only use it for basic music listening. (does not include video playback, media library, etc.)

you know you can only use the player with the playlist and turn everything else off?
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 21:57   #522
tiktip

Yes of course. Maybe that way it's easier for the user. (who doesn't need it by default)
tiktip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 22:16   #523
tiktip

I don't think it would be bad if it included the languages ​​(language pack) and didn't have to be installed separately.
Old 5th October 2022, 22:24   #524
tiktip

last idea:
I think it would be better if the player did not display the name and number of the decoder during playback (e.g. Nullsoft MPEG...) but the format of the file (mp3, flac etc.).
Old 6th October 2022, 07:07   #525
Mikey7

Winamp 5.9 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)
MS Surface Pro 8 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
Windows 11 22621.755. Avatar art by Zohaib Khan
Mikey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2022, 07:44   #526
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
I don't think it would be bad if it included the languages ​​(language pack) and didn't have to be installed separately.
there are 6800 in the world today
and you would include them all in the installer??????

yet you want a version that only gives you the player......................
Old 6th October 2022, 07:54   #527
tiktip

I didn't know they had translations for all languages.
(maybe it was a mistake to write about something that is available by default in other players)
Don't worry, I won't write any more ideas.
Old 6th October 2022, 08:38   #528
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Don't worry, I won't write any more ideas.
you are free to send in all improvement things you can come up with , do however think before posting and search if it already was mentioned before.

if you want a lite version of Winamp, search google and you shall find previous versions of Winamp that came with a lite version.

Language packs are often also found on the forum from the translator and in that case you only need to install 1 language
Old 6th October 2022, 08:59   #529
tiktip

I know all this, you haven't written anything new for me.
Why would i use the older versions if even the new version is not competitive? (it's just a thought question, there's no need to answer it.)

I understand that you want to set yourself up in such a way that you will now tell me the big thing, but it didn't work out that way.
Old 6th October 2022, 10:29   #530
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

We used to distribute Full, Standard & Lite versions of Winamp, and also a version of each for every supported language pack.

But the full installer is still only 10mb, which takes a few seconds at most to download on most systems these days.

You can select "Lite" on the Choose Components page (default is "Full").
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2022, 16:44   #531
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
last idea:
I think it would be better if the player did not display the name and number of the decoder during playback (e.g. Nullsoft MPEG...) but the format of the file (mp3, flac etc.).
Learn to love modern skins (i.e. user interfaces). There are several that display that info and more, along with the standard file related info. These skins also usually include non-standard windows that allow the user to view and use Winamp in various non-standard ways.

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2022, 17:00   #532
Myhrddin

It's not a big download and, there should be easily available skins for a person to get & customize it for their preferences. Everything that's packed into this extremely space-efficient player is something you rarely see with programs/apps at all anymore.

I'm using the Inter-Pol Info Amp v1.4 skin and for me it's pretty much perfect and, includes a mini (stick-style) for absolute minimalism if you need that. Here's the WinCustomize page for it in case this might be exactly what you want..
(preview pic at bottom)
https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/winamp/1500

and, there are a number more in their Winamp section found at..
https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/winamp

Hope this helps anyone wanting something that's tailored to their situation.
Myhrddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2022, 17:28   #533
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Myhrddin,

I tried the skin you suggested in post #532 above with Winamp v5.9.0.9999. The notifier doesn't show the albumart images embedded in my mp3 files. The remainder of the skin works as described. The translucent borders around the windows is a nice touch. Thank you for suggesting it.

Old 7th October 2022, 18:25   #534
Myhrddin

With the album art I always drop a cover.jpg file in the folder with the album's music. I know this skin has been around since the old days and the mp3's didn't always have covers so, I'm guessing this is just a holdover from then and it relies upon having that cover.jpg file to pull the image from.
It'd be great if one of the current coders would take it on to update ..that could be what the cover issue you're experiencing is. I am old school and generally put the file in out of many years of just doing it as a fact of life.
Anyway, other than that.. Glad you're enjoying the skin.

That's always been one of the great things with Winamp.. the sheer diversity of options for how it looks and works. I don't really recall any other player ever getting too close to it in this regard and *fingers crossed, we'll get to enjoy it in it's updated New Life for lots more years.!!

*cheers!
Myhrddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2022, 23:51   #535
iSPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D-78 Odysséus View Post
Winamp with me crashes every day, the conclusion I came to is that it's incompatibility with my machine, memories or something.
I know that on Windows 10 Winamp runs smooth, but on Windows 11 it crashes a lot, I have both installed on the same machine (Operating Systems).
Quite irritating.
The way is to wait for a better version, in my case specifically.
Hi,

they seem to have stopped now, I completely uninstalled it and removed all files in winamp folder and installed fresh.
iSPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2022, 22:08   #536
GrantZ

Bug in 5.9 Final:
Crash on switching from any 'tab' after a rescan of watched folders back to the music tab (I often use this tactic to refresh the music sections after a rescan). Bug does not present itself on first launch if you add tracks through the pop-up.

The worst part of this bug: Winamp will always crash on launch once this bug is triggered even once. Reinstall required afterwards.

Install info:
- Win 10
- No Winamp agent
- No plugins (initially thought these could be the problem but the problem persisted even after a complete cleanup of all things winamp and a fresh reinstall)
- Some modification of settings, including UI layout with Album Art view section also added (on Big Bento)

Possible contributing factors:
- Music library size > 100k tracks, hundreds of videos
- Every album has a folder.jpg usually in the 50kB-2MB range; sometimes also cover.png with a size of usually < 8MB (just in case there has been changes to the cover art reading logic, which I guess could result in memory issues for the application).
- Suspect UI related issue that might link to watched folders rescans, since I've also been able to trigger the issue just by right clicking on UI elements in order to modify the visible columns. It has been a while since I've triggered the bug through this method though.

Can provide crash reports if you wish. Right now this bug unfortunately prevents me from using Winamp. Bug has been present in all iterations of 5.9. I guess I could go back to an older version, but I'd really love to use the new version.
GrantZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2022, 22:16   #537
iSPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSPY View Post
Hi,

they seem to have stopped now, I completely uninstalled it and removed all files in winamp folder and installed fresh.
Or i spoke too soon. I thought maybe that hdd goes to sleep in idle, but now i saw it was already set to 360min.

Winamp client version: 5.9.0 Build 9999
winamp caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0023:75a4a3b1.

Normal wasapi started to crash too later in idle, I haven't tried it yet now with clean reinstall..
iSPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2022, 23:25   #538
jvidal

Send a message via ICQ to jvidal Send a message via AIM to jvidal Send a message via Yahoo to jvidal
Please excuse me If I'm out of line or anything, but I have to ask, has there been any improvements to the Unicode handling issues I reported earlier?
jvidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2022, 01:47   #539
Mikey7

For those of you having issues with 5.9 crashing: I recently lost the Windows Update Service from my Windows 11 installation. I followed every guide out there and nothing would bring it back and even MS' official guide says "you may have to reinstall the OS." Well, that's exactly what I did. Once I got everything running I noticed immediately that Winamp 5.9 kept crashing every time the screen turned off. It never crashed before. On power, I have the screen set to turn off after 20 minutes; On power, the PC goes to sleep *never.* I finally figured out the missing piece of the puzzle. Even playing Shoutcast streams, Winamp was looking for the drives that *were going to sleep*. I went into advanced power settings (Control Panel app, not the Settings app) and set the hard drives to *never* go to sleep on power. Sure enough, no more Winamp 5.9 crashes!

Winamp 5.9 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)
Old 9th October 2022, 05:23   #540
mfbscs

Thank you so much for this release. Really excited to see development continuing on this multi decade piece of software. Let's hope the coming decades are just as interesting!

A quick note on an x64 build: I think this is very important and is something I've been thinking about for a long time. Sure, Windows supports 32 and 64 bit programs now, but I envision some day in the distant future where Microsoft will eventually discontinue support for 32 bit programs. At that point, we'd no longer be able to use Winamp, which would be terrible.

From what I gather in these posts, it appears you have the source for some plugins, but not for others. I'd be fine with a 64 bit build including only the plugins you have the source for, and notifying users of that in the release notes.

I understand that upgrading your build from 32 to 64 bit is a pain. I've been a Visual Studio C++ developer for over 20 years and have gone through this exact process several times, having to rebuild every dependency of a project so that the entire thing runs in 64 bit. I'd be happy to assist if you're up for it.

Thanks again and keep us posted!
mfbscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2022, 19:33   #541
Mikey7

Please disregard my post immediately above. Winamp 5.9 is crashing on me even keeping the hard drives awake with the new Windows 11 install and I can't figure out why. It was itself a new Winamp install after re-installing Windows 11. (EDIT) When the screen turns off per the power plan, Winamp crashes. The Winamp display stays on the screen but the cursor spins. I've unloaded all the plugins and it still crashes in that condition. It never crashed under the old Windows 11 installation on my Surface Pro 8.

This is an odd one-off. I haven't seen this particular weirdness before. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing a Microsoft Runtime or Visual C++ version.

I have:

MS Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) & (x86) 14.32.31332

MS Windows Desktop Runtime - 6.0.9 (x64)

Am I missing something here?

Last edited by Mikey7; 11th October 2022 at 20:58.
Old 12th October 2022, 00:53   #542
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Mikey7,

IIRC, Winamp has always had issues (crashes, output stops, etc.) when the display turns off.

I use a small app called Caffeine (https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/). It simulates keyboard activity to prevent my power plan from timing out when I'm not actively using my computer (mouse or keyboard) and I don't want my power plan timer (or screen saver) to kick in.

Unlike it's website description, the Caffeine icon shows an empty coffee pot when the app is active and a full pot when it isn't. The icon worked as described when I was using Windows 10.

Old 12th October 2022, 04:41   #543
Mikey7

So, never mind again what I wrote above. I installed the 22H2 update 22621.674 when I returned this evening from errands and everything's peachy again. Winamp 5.9 is still alive and ready to rock & roll when I log back in after the screen has been asleep for a few hours.

I seem to recall it didn't crash when I first got the Surface Pro 8 back up and running - only after I installed 2 available updates. I tested it a few times yet this evening with Internet radio still running, a playlist still running, and then with nothing running - just sitting idle. It didn't crash at any time while the screen went black. So, the issue was a bum update, namely, 22621.607.

8:34 PM and all's weeeeellll...

Old 12th October 2022, 16:52   #544
chofo7

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg
Winamp 5.9 Final Build 9999

thanks for this great contribution, I always use winamp, so I always wait for updates, thanks for keeping this community alive.

Direct Download
chofo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2022, 20:53   #545
myminpins

Thanks so much for this version!! It fixed a couple of annoying issues I was having before now it works perfectly!! Thank you so much!!!

Win 11 Pro
Winamp Pro 5.9.0 Build 9999 (x86)
myminpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2022, 02:28   #546
KayaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Snip
Just wanted to throw out there that I am having the same issue and can recreate it very reliably (an example).

I'm happy to pass along anything that might be helpful, but most I've done for troubleshooting was doing a clean install which seemed to help a little at first, but now I'm back to it breaking constantly.
KayaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2022, 12:28   #547
Mikey7

Hi Aminfu,

In my case, it wasn't crashing in Windows 11 until I had to re-install Windows 11 in its entirety for the reason given, losing the Windows Update Service Module. I can't honestly say I've ever had an issue with any version of Winamp crashing when the display turns off. This was a first for me.

Old 13th October 2022, 23:53   #548
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
Hi Aminfu,

In my case, it wasn't crashing in Windows 11 until I had to re-install Windows 11 in its entirety for the reason given, losing the Windows Update Service Module. I can't honestly say I've ever had an issue with any version of Winamp crashing when the display turns off. This was a first for me.
Glad things are working ok for you.

I did some research and the issues were with those who used speakers in their monitors to playback sound from Winamp. Monitor speakers are so small, I can't imagine trying to get good sounding music from them.

The current version of Winamp is working ok for me too on Windows 11. I hear that the next Winamp update (v5.9.1) is currently being tested by the beta group. Hopefully it will be released soon.

Old 14th October 2022, 08:56   #549
Mikey7

Hello again, Aminfu. I use BT out from my Surface Pro 8 to my Sony STH-90 out to Polk Audio speakers - sounds awesome.

Old 14th October 2022, 17:57   #550
Mikey7

...and I am also looking forward to 5.9.1, Aminifu and I apologize for managing to spell your name wrong that many times.

Old 16th October 2022, 15:41   #551
ECraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post

I did some research and the issues were with those who used speakers in their monitors to playback sound from Winamp. Monitor speakers are so small, I can't imagine trying to get good sounding music from them.
You are right. I used to have Dynaudio 120 litre boxes and it makes great difference compared to bookshelf speakers. (But one can hear the difference in sound even with desktop speakers.)
I compared Winamp with Signalyst HQ Player 4 PRO, AIMP, foobar2000 2.0 beta12, JRiver Media Center 30, Resonic Player and BugHead Emperor 10.
After tests Winamp was second on the list, after BugHead, having rich detailed sound with well defined highs deep bass and prominent transients. Signalyst has somewhat better transients though, but Winamp proved better in all other respects.
BugHead is great sounding but very slow loading (at least 7 seconds per track - depending on settings) CPU and RAM hungry, and very awkward to use.
ECraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2022, 20:05   #552
VEKYL

Thanks for the update!
VEKYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2022, 22:57   #553
mattdm11

I took the plunge and downloaded it, because I saw all the comments about crashes and bugs. Didn't install correctly, let me choose a skin, crashed like 4 times. I think I'll keep 5.8.
mattdm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2022, 07:10   #554
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdm11 View Post
I took the plunge and downloaded it, because I saw all the comments about crashes and bugs. Didn't install correctly, let me choose a skin, crashed like 4 times. I think I'll keep 5.8.
Did you do a clean install?
thinktink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2022, 12:50   #555
Amun D'Anahk

Hi all.
Question, please?
I read the Pro version was removed?
Is this correct?

Always been a Pro user, so this is a wee confuzling to moi ... .

IF so, why, please?
Amun D'Anahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2022, 02:50   #556
Aminifu
Forum King

The pro version contained a few features that AOL was paying 3rd parties to provide. The new owners didn't want to continue paying for those things.

Old 3rd November 2022, 16:49   #557
VEKYL

Makes sense
VEKYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2022, 02:45   #558
eliotime3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
It all depends on whether the site/stream can be opened with IE10 (which is what Winamp uses as the internal browser engine and for all internet connectivity features).

Many sites have dropped support for Internet Explorer

As noted in the first post, some podcasts and streams won't work in Winamp due to this issue and we need to replace the internal engine with e.g. Chromium, Edge, Mozilla/Gecko, QtWebEngine, or similar... which might add considerable mb to the installer (because we also require the actual browser functionality for ML Podcasts & Online Services, etc.)...

https:// shoutcast streams work ok, e.g.

https://streamingp.shoutcast.com/rtl-1025
https://streamingp.shoutcast.com/rtl-1025-news_48.aac
https://streamingp.shoutcast.com/radio-monaco
https://stream.jewishmusicstream.com:8000/stream
https://stream.radiogbg.se:8050
https://stream.radiostaddenhaag.com
I can suggest to use QtWebkit and/or any other webkit-based rendering engines due to the lightweight size that haves that web rendering engine compared to Blink-based rendering engines (QtWebEngine, Electron).

Another great option would be Goanna, which it doesn't require too much dependencies like the actual Gecko/Servo rendering engine and keep Winamp as light as possible.
eliotime3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2022, 03:23   #559
tiktip

How to set it so that it does not remember the last played music at startup?
So, the music player should start empty. I hope you understand my question.
If there is no such possibility, then it would be nice to have it.

64-bit version wouldn't be bad either, and if it could be improved, when one starts the program it starts faster, it loads. (no extra skin and bad setup, setting)
Old 7th November 2022, 03:49   #560
Mikey7

Quote:
How to set it so that it does not remember the last played music at startup?
So, the music player should start empty. I hope you understand my question.
If there is no such possibility, then it would be nice to have it.
This setting might be what you're looking to turn off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-06 204903.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	55123  

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion